Players leaving early for the draft

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='620299' date='Jan 8 2008, 10:40 AM']last night just reaffirmed what i thought i thought about little animal. even if he declares early i dont want him. i loved him in college but he just doesnt have enough to be successful in the nfl. vernon would be a solid addition but he seems to disappear at times as well.[/quote]

both had fine games lastnight, particularly Gholston. He was owning his guy all night, even busting double teams, not sure what game you were watching. LSU was going with quick passes much of the game

i honestly dont know what youre talking about. james had a 15 yard facemask penalty, cost us a touchdown by not picking up the te and worrying too much about receivers which were not his first priority, got caught out of position several times, and just seemed to become just another player and failed to stand out in spite of his mlb position and the announcers focusing on him everytime he did well.

i didnt say anything bad about vernon, just that he needed to have a bigger game than what he had. he played well but could have done better given the opportunities he was given and the scale of the game. he just disappeared a few times, that is all, nothing major.

DT Pat Sims, Auburn is said to be declaring today. He's a beast of a tackle that could realistically be our pick at 9 if Ellis is gone. He's got good size (6'4/315) is allegedly amazingly athletic (4.8 40 yd dash) and put up great numbers in the SEC this season (37 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, [b]15 QB hurries[/b], 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles)

[img]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/45/455005.jpg[/img]

Sims looked good in their bowl game, though those two knee braces he's wearing in that picture worry me. I'm not sure he's a top 10 pick, we could probably trade down 3-5 spots and get him.

I'm looking around at some mocks now (only 5 or so so far) and Ellis has lasted to our pick in all of them, Gholston in most of them.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620449' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:26 PM']Sims looked good in their bowl game, though those two knee braces he's wearing in that picture worry me. I'm not sure he's a top 10 pick, we could probably trade down 3-5 spots and get him.

I'm looking around at some mocks now (only 5 or so so far) and Ellis has lasted to our pick in all of them, Gholston in most of them.[/quote]
Yeah he was the MVP of the bowl game. I don't know if he has any injury history, so I couldn't tell you about the knee braces. He's probably not a top 10 pick right now (maybe 15-20), but I could see us taking him if Ellis and Gholston are gone.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='620192' date='Jan 8 2008, 12:41 AM']ILB Jerod Mayo[/quote]

Mayo played MLB this year, but he will be a WLB in the NFL. That is where he played his junior year at Tennessee. For those of you who don't want us to resign Landon take a look at Mayo. He is a stud. The DC for the Vols, John Chavis, has been at Tennessee since 1989. He says that Al Wilson is the only LB he has coached that compares to Mayo. That is pretty impressive considering UT has had 16 LBs drafted during that period of time including 2 first rounders, and 6 other 2nd-3rd rounders.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='620444' date='Jan 8 2008, 02:17 PM']DT Pat Sims, Auburn is said to be declaring today. He's a beast of a tackle that could realistically be our pick at 9 if Ellis is gone. He's got good size (6'4/315) is allegedly amazingly athletic (4.8 40 yd dash) and put up great numbers in the SEC this season (37 tackles, 11.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, [b]15 QB hurries[/b], 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles)

[img]http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/45/455005.jpg[/img][/quote]

What is up with both of the massive knee braces??

Pat Sims changes things up a lot if you ask me. Before I think if you wanted a DT you had to take Ellis.

Now you could pick up anyone, and with all the picks we have, if you keep an ear to the ground on draft day, you could trade up with a 5th or 4th or even stand pat in the 2nd and nab Sims.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='620497' date='Jan 8 2008, 05:30 PM']What is up with both of the massive knee braces??[/quote]
I think it's just a precaution for practice. I can't find anything about any injuries on google. All the other actual game pics I have found he doesn't have it on... Who the fuck knows

A whole bunch of juniors declared today while I was working. Here they is:

RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon
RB Ray Rice, Rutgers
RB James Davis, Clemson
WR Mario Manningham, Michigan
WR Adrian Arrington, Michigan
DE Phillip Merling, Clemson
OLB Geno Hayes, Florida State
S Courtney Greene, Rutgers
S Patrick Chung, Oregon

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='620616' date='Jan 9 2008, 08:23 AM']are a lot of juniors declaring this year, or is it just me?[/quote]
Yeah but it was expected due to the really weak senior class. I think I heard that the record for juniors declaring might be broken this year.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='620571' date='Jan 9 2008, 12:22 AM']I think it's just a precaution for practice. I can't find anything about any injuries on google. All the other actual game pics I have found he doesn't have it on... Who the fuck knows[/quote]

Good lol I think we should avoid players that are wearing tons of hardware for past injuries in college....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='620675' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:16 AM']Good lol I think we should avoid players that are wearing tons of hardware for past injuries in college....[/quote]

You mean like that OT we drafted who had knee surgery at USC? His name was Munoz or something like that.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='620677' date='Jan 9 2008, 11:20 AM']You mean like that OT we drafted who had knee surgery at USC? His name was Munoz or something like that.[/quote]

One in a million shot....do you really think we will hit that jackpot twice. More often then not when we have drafted players with injury history it continues into the NFL....but you keep pointing to that one instance while our injured reserve keeps filling up.

Per www.bucknuts.com and an OSU press release, Vernon Gholston is coming out, Malcom Jenkins will be back for his senior year. No word yet from Alex Boone, Marcus Freeman, or James Laurinaitis.

[url="http://www.bucknuts.com/news/story.php?article=2715"]http://www.bucknuts.com/news/story.php?article=2715[/url]

Archived