One Player the Bengals Won't Take: Vernon Gholston

[quote name='High School Harry' post='624650' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:38 PM']Discussing Gholston is difficult because criticizing him is an immediate affront to Ohio State
and the poster is a Buckeye hater. (I'm not)

If he went to Michigan or anyplace else, what would be said?

I see him and somehow find myself thinking of Alfred Williams or perhaps Reinard Wilson more than
Freak Kearse. A big tall gawky guy with a fireplug O-lineman firing out into his gut and hanging him up,
pushing him out of the play with leverage. With all of the D-linemen coming out in this draft, if he is
about all that is left when we pick I would think something else. Maybe even trading down because he may
be as likely to be there 14-16 as he is at 9.

My other real fear is that if there is a run on D-linemen and he is about all that is left, that means some
high profile running backs and wide receivers will be there and Marvin loves his running backs (but can't pick
the right one) and Mikey loves wide receivers.

Just depends on what is there and if Gholston is all that is left of the primo D front seven picks at 9, he will
probably still be there for consideration a half dozen picks later if that's what the Bengal brainless trust
wants.[/quote]

i bet he's gone by 9. write it down and we'll revisit it in april, teach.

[quote name='Francisco' post='624653' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:49 PM'][b]I saw a picture of Vernon Gholston the other day.

I was like 'shit that guys looks bad ass, what a monster...'

I wanted to check out the hype so I watched him VERY closely against LSU in the National Title Game.

Jesus, whoever Gholson's back up is, HE should have been in the game.

Yes, the guy looks cool. Yes he is from Ohio State, Yes he has a sweet ass name and is really REALLY buff..

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY

NO, he cant tackle (just what we need, a Bengal that cant tackle). NO, he wont EVER be a Bengal and [u]YES[/u] I would rather have Black Jesus himself (the poster, not Marvin) play DE on this team more than I would want Vernon -that 245running back just broke my ankles with a sidestep- Gholston.[/b]

:fing27:[/quote]

you really come off as a hater. are you trying to tell me you've never seen a RB juke a DL in the open field? :lol:

the guy's only played organized football for 5 years and DE for 3. if you can't recognize the potential in this guy... well, i'll just leave it at THAT. but it's foolish to think this guy has hit his ceiling. he's probably got more room to grow, as a player, than anyone else in the draft. and you won't find anyone that will outwork him in the weight room, either.

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='624674' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:28 PM']I have a copy & will watch him on every play if I get time this weekend. I honestly don't know if he had a good game or not. It is comical how many Buckeye haters are out there. I could give a crap if a guy plays division 3, just so he excels as a Bengal !

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/VernonGholston3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/VernonGholston2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n224/blaine95/VernonGholston.jpg[/img][/quote]

yeah, looks like a puss to me. :rolleyes:

[quote name='spicoli' post='624695' date='Jan 19 2008, 12:09 AM']apparently you didn't watch too closely. LSU couldn't do a thing with Gholston, he was in the backfield on pretty much every play. They simply ran away from his side of the field on almost every play and when they didn't, he made them pay.

The Buckeye haters can bitch about the guy all they like. It's not gonna change the fact however, that when it's all said and done, he's going to be one of the 4 highest rated defensive players in the entire draft along with Dorsey, Long and Ellis. He's going to be a beast in the NFL and I'm willing to bet that he ends up a Bengal.[/quote]

hell, with my bad luck, i'll take that bet. the way i figure it, i win either way!

[quote name='spicoli' post='624695' date='Jan 19 2008, 12:09 AM']apparently you didn't watch too closely. LSU couldn't do a thing with Gholston, he was in the backfield on pretty much every play. They simply ran away from his side of the field on almost every play and when they didn't, he made them pay.

The Buckeye haters can bitch about the guy all they like. It's not gonna change the fact however, that when it's all said and done, he's going to be one of the 4 highest rated defensive players in the entire draft along with Dorsey, Long and Ellis. He's going to be a beast in the NFL and I'm willing to bet that he ends up a Bengal.[/quote]

Well seeing as Dan and Franciso both have insiders knowledge on things in the past, I'd take their opinion on this. So what are we betting?

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='624855' date='Jan 19 2008, 04:11 PM']Well seeing as Dan and Franciso both have insiders knowledge on things in the past, I'd take their opinion on this. So what are we betting?[/quote]

so, does that make them scouts? from some of the things i've read, i would be surprised if that were the case.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='624855' date='Jan 19 2008, 04:11 PM']Well seeing as Dan and Franciso both have insiders knowledge on things in the past, I'd take their opinion on this. So what are we betting?[/quote]

gimme a break...they don't know shit. The process has barely even started yet. hell, he just declared last week. we're not gonna get a feel one way or the other until after the combine, pro-days and all star games. he's gonna grade out as a top 10 pick though and it's a position of need, so it's pretty stupid to think the bengals won't be interested in him. hey, people just hate the buckeyes, that's fine, whatever. they put out great pros though so I don't see why people wouldn't want them...

[quote name='bengalbutch' post='624674' date='Jan 18 2008, 11:28 PM']It is comical how many Buckeye haters are out there.[/quote]

I am neither a OSU hater or a lover ---------- however, I find it commical how many want to draft any or everyone just because they wear the scarlet and grey.

[quote name='cwing' post='624953' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:23 PM']I am neither a OSU hater or a lover ---------- however, I find it commical how many want to draft any or everyone just because they wear the scarlet and grey.[/quote]

The guy is a damn good player period, I don't care what colors he's wearing. If he had gone to Michigan instead of Ohio State, I'd still be pimping him. The guy is a beast regardless.

[quote name='spicoli' post='624940' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:51 PM'][color="#FF0000"]gimme a break...they don't know shit.[/color] The process has barely even started yet. hell, he just declared last week. we're not gonna get a feel one way or the other until after the combine, pro-days and all star games. he's gonna grade out as a top 10 pick though and it's a position of need, so it's pretty stupid to think the bengals won't be interested in him. hey, people just hate the buckeyes, that's fine, whatever. they put out great pros though so I don't see why people wouldn't want them...[/quote]

you have no idea.... you have no idea

[quote]I am neither a OSU hater or a lover ---------- however, I find it commical how many want to draft any or everyone just because they wear the scarlet and grey.[/quote]

It goes both ways the Buckeye haters would bitch if we took him and he average 12 sacks a year. Too many haters around, who cares where a kid goes to school.

didn't Francisco admit that that was all bullshit and he just happened to guess something correctly and then everyone believed him that he had some inside connection?

I've read where a couple of board members are comparing Ghloston to Renaird Wilson. Wilson was a DE at Florida St and when he arrived here in Cincinnati he was made into an OLB. Which I admit was not the best, unfortunately for Wilson for whatever reason, either the player or the coaching he did not perform well, which surprised me because the guy was a beast in college.

Florida State had a pretty good year and got 3 other players drafted in the first round. With 4 players in the first round going you know that scouts, experts, and gurus were all over the FSU team that year.

[Is any of this starting to sound familiar to you yet :wuhh: ]

Now back to that 1997 draft, there was another DE from FSU that was drafted by his respective team, coached by his one time coach, and this player just happen to be the defensive rookie of the year, make the pro bowl a few times and also is wearing a Super Bowl ring. Who was the player? Peter Boulware, all 6'5" 255 lbs. of him.

Boulware was drafted at #4 that year, and was coached by Marvin Lewis.

I would put my faith into Gholston very easily if he was drafted to play either end or OLB.

Pollack was being groomed to be an OLB from a DE, and at the end of his first year after that hold out, he really did get used to the position and he started to look more comfortable and along with that came better play.

My point is I believe Gholston is going to be a stud. All the crtics like to mention how he looked the first part of the LSU game, well ummmmmm the last time the guy played in a game was before thanksgiving and then a what 6,7,8 week lay off to play one of the best NCAA teams (who did not have as long as a lay off, SEC plays a championship game, the big ten doesn't).

I can see Gholston being a Terrell Suggss type of player that is able to play different position along the defensive line and bring pressure from where he may be.

Leave him at DE or move him to OLB I don't care, because on draft day I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that he is one of the defensive players that are there at #9. If Gholston and Sedrick Ellis are both there at 9, I say trade the 2009 1st rounder and this years 2nd rounder to the Saints and then take them both Gholston at 9 and Sedrick Ellis at 10.

My mind is spinning with thinking what might happen if that really was to happen on draft day. Wow.....what if C-A-T.....really spelled Dog? :shrug: :crazy:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='624955' date='Jan 19 2008, 11:35 PM']you have no idea.... you have no idea[/quote]

I have an idea.

Gholston just declared 8 days ago, today.

How would Dan and Francisco have any inside
knowledge as to the Bengals wouldn`t take him ?

The Bengals haven`t seen him work out, they haven`t
interviewed him, they probably haven`t even watched
film of him yet.

Dan is just trying to stir all the OSU Homers into a frenzy.
Go posting a :D and nothing more in his first post to this thread,
tells me as much.

Dan proclaimed Wilkerson to be the future. So that alone
shows that he has been wrong in the past.

Anyway, there is a good chance the Bengals won`t take him,
because there is a good chance he will be drafted before we
even pick. But to say that the Bengals won`t draft him because
of their OPINION isn`t fact, or "inside" info . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624988' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:28 AM']I have an idea.

Gholston just declared 8 days ago, today.

How would Dan and Francisco have any inside
knowledge as to the Bengals wouldn`t take him ?

The Bengals haven`t seen him work out, they haven`t
interviewed him, they probably haven`t even watched
film of him yet.

Dan is just trying to stir all the OSU Homers into a frenzy.
Go posting a :D and nothing more in his first post to this thread,
tells me as much.

Dan proclaimed Wilkerson to be the future. So that alone
shows that he has been wrong in the past.

Anyway, there is a good chance the Bengals won`t take him,
because there is a good chance he will be drafted before we
even pick. But to say that the Bengals won`t draft him because
of their OPINION isn`t fact, or "inside" info . . .[/quote]

Come on old, Dan has been wrong before and Franciso had a lucky guess once, but when both have agreed on things it usually turns out to be thats the case.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='624989' date='Jan 20 2008, 09:37 AM']Come on old, Dan has been wrong before and Franciso had a lucky guess once, but when both have agreed on things it usually turns out to be thats the case.[/quote]

Come on Jamie. Dan`s original post was nothing but his opinion.
It wasn`t inside knowledge or info.

And Francisco admittedly didn`t know who the hell Gholston was,
and only watched him in the LSU game.

It would be like if someone based their entire opinion on
Darren McFadden from this year`s Cotton Bowl game.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='624740' date='Jan 19 2008, 05:32 AM']Uh they beat Florida...an OMG SEC team.....give me a minute to fawn over them....ok I am back...a little flustered but back....and punished Tim T-bone. Chad Henne also went off on Florida.[/quote]

Great post!

You can't be a Buckeye fan here, plain and simple, been proven time and time again.

The SEC is the only conference in the country.

But, just wait until tomorrow......................................

I'm still a little flustered too...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624993' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:12 AM']Come on Jamie. Dan`s original post was nothing but his opinion.
It wasn`t inside knowledge or info.

And Francisco admittedly didn`t know who the hell Gholston was,
and only watched him in the LSU game.

It would be like if someone based their entire opinion on
Darren McFadden from this year`s Cotton Bowl game.[/quote]

aight man, well see come draft time then

Archived