One Player the Bengals Won't Take: Vernon Gholston

Just a heads up for all you guys who make the Bengals draft boards, etc. One player that the Bengals won't take (at least at this stage in the game) is Vernon Gholston with the ninth pick.

The guy was a very good college football player, but will likely be a hack in the NFL, especially at the nine spot. A lot of teams will want him to move to LB (since he comes in at 264lbs), but if you have seen this guy on tape or watched him a lot, you will notice he gets beat in the big games and gets destroyed with juke moves by runningbacks.

If your all for a defensive player that can't tackle well in the open field and will get ripped up by L.T., Adrian Peterson and any quality running back any time we play .... by all means pimp the hell out of Gholston.

He's definitely not worth the pick at the nine spot.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='624611' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:07 PM']Just a heads up for all you guys who make the Bengals draft boards, etc. One player that the Bengals won't take (at least at this stage in the game) is Vernon Gholston with the ninth pick.

The guy was a very good college football player, but will likely be a hack in the NFL, especially at the nine spot. A lot of teams will want him to move to LB (since he comes in at 264lbs), but if you have seen this guy on tape or watched him a lot, you will notice [b]he gets beat in the big games [/b]and gets destroyed with juke moves by runningbacks.

If your all for a defensive player that can't tackle well in the open field and will get ripped up by L.T., Adrian Peterson and any quality running back any time we play .... by all means pimp the hell out of Gholston.

He's definitely not worth the pick at the nine spot.[/quote]
Did you not watch the Michigan game?

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='624611' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:07 PM']Just a heads up for all you guys who make the Bengals draft boards, etc. One player that the Bengals won't take (at least at this stage in the game) is Vernon Gholston with the ninth pick.

The guy was a very good college football player, but will likely be a hack in the NFL, especially at the nine spot. A lot of teams will want him to move to LB (since he comes in at 264lbs), but if you have seen this guy on tape or watched him a lot, [b]you will notice he gets beat in the big games and gets destroyed with juke moves by runningbacks. [/b]

since when?

And IMO, he won't be converted to a LB, but if he is, he started his career as a LB.

I don't get why people get hung up on size. At 6'3 264lbs he's just as big, if not bigger, than Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, Robert Geathers, Osi Umineyiora, Michael Strahan, Jevon Kearse, and Jason Taylor.

And Ben Wilkerson is the future !!!1111

Sorry, I couldn`t resist . . .

Anyway, like it has already been stated, Gholston had a good game
against the team up North (3 sacks). He also had a good game against
Wisconsin, which was a big game at the time, (4 sacks).

Gholston has played the "Leo" or drop end position like Will Smith did before him.

He also tied a Buckeye record (13 sacks) set back in 1995 by a player named
Mike Vrabel, who has had a pretty good NFL career.

I "think" Gholston will be a fine NFL player. At least his resume says
he will more than what you`re saying . . .

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624631' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:44 PM']He also tied a Buckeye record (13 sacks) set back in 1995 by a player named
Mike Vrabel, who has had a pretty good NFL career.[/quote]im pretty sure he set a new record with 14, but im really lazy and dont want to look for it

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624631' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:44 PM']And Ben Wilkerson is the future !!!1111

Gholston has played the "Leo" or drop end position like Will Smith did before him.

he will more than what you`re saying . . .[/quote]

yea michigan was really good this year.. starting QB did well, starting RB had a great injuury free year... beating michigan .. he had 4 tackles... all for a loss and all, but its not like michigan running game was that good anyway... just ask Appalachian state..

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624631' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:44 PM']And Ben Wilkerson is the future !!!1111

he will more than what you`re saying . . .[/quote]

Ben Wilkerson shot was low .... me and him were boys ..... as far as Gholston ... there will be plenty of players will similar capabilities in later rounds. He is not worth the ninth pick at all.

Also the love for Ben was mostly due to my hatred of Ghia-pet .... and we all see how well he is doing.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='624631' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:44 PM']Gholston has played the "Leo" or drop end position [b]like Will Smith did before him[/b].[/quote]

[img]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/526/freshprinceofbelairwillzf4.jpg[/img]

[size=6]SAY WHAT???[/size]

[quote]yea michigan was really good this year.. starting QB did well, starting RB had a great injuury free year... beating michigan .. he had 4 tackles... all for a loss and all, but its not like michigan running game was that good anyway... just ask Appalachian state..[/quote]

Hater

[quote name='bubba' post='624637' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:53 PM']He beat ( Projected 10 ten pick ) Jake Long like a red headed step child.[/quote]
Two of his sacks were not against Jake Long, but three sacks in one game is still impressive. If he is there we better take him. I think he will elivate his play in the NFL because he won't be getting double teamed as much.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='624634' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:53 PM']yea michigan was really good this year.. starting QB did well, starting RB had a great injuury free year... beating michigan .. he had 4 tackles... all for a loss and all, but its not like michigan running game was that good anyway... just ask Appalachian state..[/quote]

The buckeye hater in you never ceases to amaze me <_<

[quote name='number85' post='624640' date='Jan 18 2008, 09:59 PM']Two of his sacks were not against Jake Long, but three sacks in one game is still impressive. If he is there we better take him. I think he will elivate his play in the NFL because he won't be getting double teamed as much.[/quote]

certainly nothing the quadruple(sp?) teams chads getting. (hopes someone gets the joke)

i doubt he got many double teams with the LB's and other DL on the buckeyes. then again he asnt exactly facing pro talent each week either.

Unless Gholston has terrible workout numbers(which I highly doubt), he's going to end up with a top 10 grade and would be an excellent guy for the Bengals to add to their d-line. As I've said before, I'm almost positive that we're either going to end up with either Gholston or Ellis. They're both going to have almost identicle grades and both are gonna end up in the top 10.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='624642' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:01 PM']certainly nothing the quadruple(sp?) teams chads getting. (hopes someone gets the joke)

i doubt he got many double teams with the LB's and other DL on the buckeyes. then again he asnt exactly facing pro talent each week either.[/quote]

Discussing Gholston is difficult because criticizing him is an immediate affront to Ohio State
and the poster is a Buckeye hater. (I'm not)

If he went to Michigan or anyplace else, what would be said?

I see him and somehow find myself thinking of Alfred Williams or perhaps Reinard Wilson more than
Freak Kearse. A big tall gawky guy with a fireplug O-lineman firing out into his gut and hanging him up,
pushing him out of the play with leverage. With all of the D-linemen coming out in this draft, if he is
about all that is left when we pick I would think something else. Maybe even trading down because he may
be as likely to be there 14-16 as he is at 9.

My other real fear is that if there is a run on D-linemen and he is about all that is left, that means some
high profile running backs and wide receivers will be there and Marvin loves his running backs (but can't pick
the right one) and Mikey loves wide receivers.

Just depends on what is there and if Gholston is all that is left of the primo D front seven picks at 9, he will
probably still be there for consideration a half dozen picks later if that's what the Bengal brainless trust
wants.

[b]I saw a picture of Vernon Gholston the other day.

I was like 'shit that guys looks bad ass, what a monster...'

I wanted to check out the hype so I watched him VERY closely against LSU in the National Title Game.

Jesus, whoever Gholson's back up is, HE should have been in the game.

Yes, the guy looks cool. Yes he is from Ohio State, Yes he has a sweet ass name and is really REALLY buff..

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY

NO, he cant tackle (just what we need, a Bengal that cant tackle). NO, he wont EVER be a Bengal and [u]YES[/u] I would rather have Black Jesus himself (the poster, not Marvin) play DE on this team more than I would want Vernon -that 245running back just broke my ankles with a sidestep- Gholston.[/b]

:fing27:

[quote name='High School Harry' post='624650' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:38 PM']Discussing Gholston is difficult because criticizing him is an immediate affront to Ohio State
and the poster is a Buckeye hater. (I'm not)

If he went to Michigan or anyplace else, what would be said?

I see him and somehow find myself thinking of Alfred Williams or perhaps Reinard Wilson more than
Freak Kearse. A big tall gawky guy with a fireplug O-lineman firing out into his gut and hanging him up,
pushing him out of the play with leverage. With all of the D-linemen coming out in this draft, if he is
about all that is left when we pick I would think something else. Maybe even trading down because he may
[b]be as likely to be there 14-16 as he is at 9[/b].

My other real fear is that if there is a run on D-linemen and he is about all that is left, that means some
high profile running backs and wide receivers will be there and Marvin loves his running backs (but can't pick
the right one) and Mikey loves wide receivers.

Just depends on what is there and if Gholston is all that is left of the primo D front seven picks at 9, he will
probably still be there for consideration a half dozen picks later if that's what the Bengal brainless trust
wants.[/quote]
as 1181 can attest, I'm as big a Luckeye hater as there is here but to say Gholston is a chump is a bit much. I posted the above comment the day after the NC game and said I thought 9 was a bit high but would love to get him around 14, or so. He had a heck of a game against a very good LSU team. He's built better / thicker than Harvey from Florida for sure. I like Ellis better but only by 5 slots or so.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='624611' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:07 PM']Just a heads up for all you guys who make the Bengals draft boards, etc. One player that the Bengals won't take (at least at this stage in the game) is Vernon Gholston with the ninth pick.

The guy was a very good college football player, but will likely be a hack in the NFL, especially at the nine spot. A lot of teams will want him to move to LB (since he comes in at 264lbs), but if you have seen this guy on tape or watched him a lot, you will notice he gets beat in the big games and gets destroyed with juke moves by runningbacks.

Word ! He also quits when beaten.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='624654' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:53 PM']as 1181 can attest, I'm as big a Luckeye hater as there is here but to say Gholston is a chump is a bit much. I posted the above comment the day after the NC game and said I thought 9 was a bit high but would love to get him around 14, or so. [b]He had a heck of a game against a very good LSU team[/b]. He's built better / thicker than Harvey from Florida for sure. I like Ellis better but only by 5 slots or so.[/quote]

You must have not watched him closely during that game.

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='624656' date='Jan 18 2008, 10:55 PM']You must have not watched him closely during that game.[/quote]
An assisted tackle, 2 solo tackles, and a sack for a 15 yard loss...

yeah, he played like a bitch...

I didn't watch him every play but the few times that I did manage to pay attention he seemed to play well.

Archived