Reds, Phillips $1.5M apart

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Reds, Phillips $1.5M apart[/b][/size]
BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

The Reds and their two arbitration-eligible players, second baseman Brandon Phillips and pitcher Matt Belisle, exchanged numbers Friday.

Phillips filed for $4.2 million; the Reds countered at $2.7 million.

Belisle filed for $1.6 million; the Reds countered at $1 million.

“This is just the day on the baseball calendar that you have to submit a number,” Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. “It doesn’t mean you’re going to a hearing. That would be a last resort.”

The Reds haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing since 2004 when the club beat Chris Reitsma.

Krivsky said the Reds have had talks with both Phillips and Belisle. Phillips would seem like an ideal player to sign to a multi-year deal. He’s coming off a season in which he hit .288 with 30 home runs, 94 RBI and 32 steals.

“We’ve keeping our options open,” Krivsky said. “It all comes down to whether the dollars and years make sense.”

Not matter what happens, Phillips and Belisle will both get huge raises. Phillips made $407,000 last year; Belisle $390,000.

Elsewhere, the Reds picked up Drew Anderson, a left-handed hitting outfielder, off waivers from Milwaukee Brewers. Anderson, 26, hit .291 with five home runs, 47 RBI and 17 steals last season at Double-A and Triple-A.

That puts the 40-man roster at 40.

“He can run,” Krivsky said. “He can play center and all the outfield positions. Our scouts like him, so we added him.”

The Reds already have a Drew Anderson in their system. The other Drew Anderson is an infielder.

“They could be on the same roster,” Krivsky said.[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080119/SPT04/301190017/1071/SPT"]http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...190017/1071/SPT[/url]

Paul Dauherty . . .

[quote]Why sign B. Phillips long term? Nothing personal. Love BP, wrote last July he should be the face of the organization. But arbitration offers some cost control for 3 years. Why give it away when you don't have to? It's business. Keep him hungry, motivated... if he's the player everyone believes, he'll get his...[/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/[/url]

[quote name='VonBlade' post='625002' date='Jan 20 2008, 10:45 AM']So we paid Milton a fortune to suck balls, pay Griffey a fortune to sit in the training room, but don't want to pay Phillips who's been nothing but studly?

No wonder we both suck and blow.[/quote]

Apparently you don't know how arbitration works...

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='625024' date='Jan 20 2008, 05:20 PM']Apparently you don't know how arbitration works...[/quote]

Two points really.

One, probably not. None of the sports in Europe really have arbitration as a method of settling contracts. Then again I guess you've not many ideas of how transfers work either.

Two, and the main crux of my issue, is that I shouldn't need to know how arbitration works. If someone is playing well, pay the man. If it goes to arbitration and the panel decide that we should pay around 3m for him, then he's gonna be pissed at being under-paid for the sake of us saving a measily mill? Pathetic. Pay him what he's worth, which is still less than the market rate, and have a happy player on a good wage.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='625035' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:10 PM']Two points really.

One, probably not. None of the sports in Europe really have arbitration as a method of settling contracts. Then again I guess you've not many ideas of how transfers work either.

Two, and the main crux of my issue, is that I shouldn't need to know how arbitration works. If someone is playing well, pay the man. If it goes to arbitration and the panel decide that we should pay around 3m for him, then he's gonna be pissed at being under-paid for the sake of us saving a measily mill? Pathetic. Pay him what he's worth, which is still less than the market rate, and have a happy player on a good wage.[/quote]

This is how arbitration has always worked. The player comes in asking high, the team low balls, and they meet in the middle. There won't be any bad blood, the players agent knows that's how it works, the player should know that's how it works, and that's that. Phillips will get paid soon. And he will get paid a lot. Unfortunately for him, he has to jump through the same hoops as everyone else in the MLB before he gets that big money.

[quote name='VonBlade' post='625035' date='Jan 20 2008, 01:10 PM']Two points really.

Two, and the main crux of my issue, is that I shouldn't need to know how arbitration works. If someone is playing well, pay the man. If it goes to arbitration and the panel decide that we should pay around 3m for him, then he's gonna be pissed at being under-paid for the sake of us saving a measily mill? Pathetic. Pay him what he's worth, which is still less than the market rate, and have a happy player on a good wage.[/quote]

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='625084' date='Jan 20 2008, 07:06 PM']This is how arbitration has always worked. The player comes in asking high, the team low balls, and they meet in the middle. There won't be any bad blood, the players agent knows that's how it works, the player should know that's how it works, and that's that. Phillips will get paid soon. And he will get paid a lot. Unfortunately for him, he has to jump through the same hoops as everyone else in the MLB before he gets that big money.[/quote]

yea, aside from the fake money paying yanks and such there isnt much contract negotiating and open signings, players almost always get paid what they are worth, never seen any bad blood on either side, phillips is in no place to be making crazy demands anyway, you wont see a superstar going to arbitration, hell most players dont. they could agree tomorrow or go to arbitration and save 100k one way or another...

its really just part of the bargaining table in baseball, has nothing to do with the organization. the milton deal was horrid, but the griffey deal was solid, unless you had the magic * ball that told the future of MLB players. and quite frankly he is still a money maker, griffey makes about 65k per game.. i assumed 10 mil per year. (no idea)

average fan spends $35 per person on food and ticket... and he easily puts 1500 asses in seats at great american and road stadiums as well. hell during his run for 600-700 500 whatever it was.. he was likely putting 5000-15000 asses in seats....

even at half a seat they are gonna make cash off the guy... even if he makes double that, he is easily putting 3500 asses in seats... not counting merchandise outside the game.. etc.

Archived