Phillips agrees to long term deal

BengalBacker

Long-term deal for Phillips
By Hal McCoy | Thursday, February 14, 2008, 09:08 PM

Brandon Phillips and the Cincinnati Reds have agreed in principle to a long-term deal, a source close to the negotiations told The Dayton Daily News Thursday night.

Terms and length of the deal were not available, but the long-term deal is done and an arbitration hearing between the Reds and Phillips has been canceled.

Phillips was asking for a one-year contract worth $4.5 million and the Reds were offering a one-year $2.7 million deal, but the long-term deal wipes that all out.

Phillips, 26, had a break-out season in 2007, blossoming as a star both offensively and defensively.

The Stone Mountain, Ga., resident, acquired from the Cleveland Indians during the spring of 2006 for righthanded pitchber Jeff Stevens, hit .288 and was a 30/30 players - 30 home runs and 32 stolen bases (in 40 attempts). He also drove in 94 runs and scored 107. He was the team’s clean-up hitter most of the second half.

On defense, he was spectacular and probably should have won the Gold Glove. He led the National League in fielding percentage for a second baseman (.990) and made only eight errors.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2008/02/14/longterm_deal_for_phillips.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...r_phillips.html[/url]

FUCK YES!!!!

Phillips has been my favorite player since we got him from the Indians... Strong defense and an offensive threat, with a an awesome attitude playing for his favorite team.. The guy will be a perrenial all-star and wants to retire a Red..

waaaaay too early to sign him long term ... don't like this move.

See if he can duplicate last seasons success (you know, the ONLY season he's ever had success with) and then give him a new contract. We had him dirt cheap for the next 2 years ... no need for this

EDIT: Let me put this in here before people rip my post ... I love Phillips and am very happy he is going to be on this team for the foreseeable future. I just think 2 years worth of MLB ball, we should have waited one more year to see if he's got it or not. I won't comment any further without seeing the actual terms of the deal

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='632450' date='Feb 15 2008, 09:14 AM']waaaaay too early to sign him long term ... don't like this move.

See if he can duplicate last seasons success (you know, the ONLY season he's ever had success with) and then give him a new contract. We had him dirt cheap for the next 2 years ... no need for this[/quote]

Have to disagree. It was a great move. Lock him up long term, there was never a doubt about his talent, just about his attitude. Clearly, he has turned a corner since coming to Cincinnati. Relax and enjoy #4 for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='632450' date='Feb 15 2008, 09:14 AM']waaaaay too early to sign him long term ... don't like this move.

See if he can duplicate last seasons success (you know, the ONLY season he's ever had success with) and then give him a new contract. We had him dirt cheap for the next 2 years ... no need for this[/quote]

He's demonstrated throughout his entire carreer that he had the glove.. The only thing that kept him back was his hitting. Since he's been with the Reds his bat has gotten better every year, while he has continued to show brilliance in the infeild.

When you've got a golden glove caliber defender up the middle, who can steal bases, the bat (as long as he is competent) is gravy... There is nothing in his carreer to indicate that he will degress to not being able to hit major league pitching. His approach to hitting is excellent and he has demonstrated a great work ethic.

What happens if he goes 30/30 again next year and wins a golden glove? You really want to worry about having to compete with the Bostons and Yankees of the league to keep him in Cincinnati?

Personally I think this is a prime example of being proactive and locking up a talented young player to be part of the core of your team before he prices himself out of your market with his play.

Great move, whether it works out or not.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='632560' date='Feb 15 2008, 03:10 PM']Edit: Ok.... maybe not horrible but I still don't like it. We could have paid him $4 mill this year and probably $6 mill the next. Make him prove he can keep the stats up. We go from offering $2 mill in arbitration to $7 mill a year?[/quote]

i don't see the problem... i just don't see how phillips takes a step back at the point... he's got all the tools, and if we go by the plan you set forward, he is playing in NY next year imo...

[quote name='Lucid' post='632460' date='Feb 15 2008, 09:43 AM']He's demonstrated throughout his entire carreer that he had the glove.. The only thing that kept him back was his hitting. Since he's been with the Reds his bat has gotten better every year, while he has continued to show brilliance in the infeild.

When you've got a golden glove caliber defender up the middle, who can steal bases, the bat (as long as he is competent) is gravy... There is nothing in his carreer to indicate that he will degress to not being able to hit major league pitching. His approach to hitting is excellent and he has demonstrated a great work ethic.

What happens if he goes 30/30 again next year and wins a golden glove? You really want to worry about having to compete with the Bostons and Yankees of the league to keep him in Cincinnati?

Personally I think this is a prime example of being proactive and locking up a talented young player to be part of the core of your team before he prices himself out of your market with his play.

Great move, whether it works out or not.[/quote]

Bravo! well said so, often it seems small market teams serve only as an extended farm system for the mega market teams

its nice to keep some of the talent that has matured with us.

i am optimistic about the reds this year.

I still think it's a good deal. Small market teams have to lock up players like Phillips while they can.

He's 26, so they have him until he's 30 (31 if they choose) at a managable salary. That's the prime years of a player that has done it on the field, and has the realistic potential of being a perennial all star. These things are always a risk, but from a risk v reward perspective, it's a good signing for a team like the Reds.

It's also great PR for the image of the organization. Both from outside and inside the team. It shows players they'll be rewarded for performance, even if the owners have them by the balls contractually. That's good for morale inside the team and attractive to players outside the team.

[i]of course the point could be made that Chad is a good example of how it can backfire[/i]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='632701' date='Feb 16 2008, 03:18 AM']I still think it's a good deal. Small market teams have to lock up players like Phillips while they can.

He's 26, so they have him until he's 30 (31 if they choose) at a managable salary. That's the prime years of a player that has done it on the field, and has the realistic potential of being a perennial all star. These things are always a risk, but from a risk v reward perspective, it's a good signing for a team like the Reds.

It's also great PR for the image of the organization. Both from outside and inside the team. It shows players they'll be rewarded for performance, even if the owners have them by the balls contractually. That's good for morale inside the team and attractive to players outside the team.

[i]of course the point could be made that Chad is a good example of how it can backfire[/i][/quote]

I agree, I love seeing bright young players locked up here; I just wish they had done it longer-term. This only adds like 2 (option for 3) years onto what we would already have him for at half the price, through arbitration. Even if he comes up with an even better year in 2008, I don't see him commanding much more than the $12 mil he will get in the 5th year of this deal if the Reds pick up the option.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='634368' date='Feb 21 2008, 12:35 PM']After seeing Ryan Howard get $10 mill in arbitration, I've changed my stance on the Phillips deal. I now love the move. Arbitration used to let you keep the players at a low salary... not anymore I guess.[/quote]

Howard went from making $900,000 last season to $10,000,000 this season.

Archived