How is this possible?

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6674"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6674[/url]

[quote]The Bengals may bring in Bills veteran Larry Triplett to take a look at him, but would they pay him or a guy like him something like a $1 million bonus if they're going to draft one or two tackles?

In fact, they'll probably use a lot of discretion in signing any position. And not just because punter Kyle Larson's five-year deal counts about $1.5 million under this year's salary cap, [b]leaving them about $4 million to spend[/b].[/quote]

$4 million to spend? He must be talking about some sort of internal team limit, because there is no way, with the moves we made Odom, Larson, Jones, Andrews, we've used the $30 odd million under the cap we had going into FA. Any Cap experts if you could please weigh in. On another board I check out, our resident cap guru said:

[quote]He must be talking about some kind of self-imposed free agency spending limit, because there's almost no way they could feasibly have eaten up all of the cap room they had available. No way. Not if they paid out every penny of Odom's guaranteed money as a first-year roster bonus would they be down to so little actual cap space... not even factoring in big buffers for the draft and in-season injuries and whatnot.[/quote]

Bloody Hobson!

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='640214' date='Mar 5 2008, 08:55 AM'][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6674"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6674[/url]

$4 million to spend? He must be talking about some sort of internal team limit, because there is no way, with the moves we made Odom, Larson, Jones, Andrews, we've used the $30 odd million under the cap we had going into FA. Any Cap experts if you could please weigh in. On another board I check out, our resident cap guru said:

Bloody Hobson![/quote]

It's all propaganda..he does it every year.

While I'm certainly not a cap expert (Phatcat can handle those duties) $4 million isn't a huge stretch considering:

Signed Jones, Chatman, Larson, Odom, the dude from Canada (forget his name).

That's five guys right there - I'll estimate that those signings take away about 12-15 million of cap space.

Then consider that our rookie pool will be much higher in 2008 because we could have up to 11 draft picks with the compensatory picks.

If the rookie pool is 5-8 million that takes us to anywhere from 17-23 million used up. If I remember correctly we had about 30 million of cap room so that leaves us (under my very basic calculations) with anywhere from 7-13 million left.

So Hobknob saying 4 million is that big of a reach.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='640214' date='Mar 5 2008, 08:55 AM'][url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6674"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6674[/url]

Bloody Hobson![/quote]

yea we had $30million coming into free agency, but we set 5-6million of that aside for the draft, 2-3 aside for injuries, and then Stacey is taking up 7.5million of it.

Hobson last week reported we had about $16million to spend in free agency. Odom got 6 of it, Larson 1.5, Dhani? Have we signed anyone else?

By my guess, we probably have somewhere in the $7-8million left. Which may change if Stacey gets a deal done, and if we see some veteran cuts.

Now cut Thornton and you are back up around $11-12 million, and if you can work out a long term deal with Stacy Andrews that could save the Bengals another $2million- $3million on this years cap. I still think the Bengals can get Robertson. The guy is in a tough position. He has got to know the Jets are going to cut him if he doesn't restructure his contract in order to make a trade work, and there is no team out there that will be willing to take on his current salary. Robertson is just costing himself money if he doesn't get a new contract worked out soon and make himself more trade worthy.

The current salary cap update has us at ~16MM under the cap (this includes Andrews Franchise Tender). Also this number includes all the buffers that the Bengals put in for Practice Squad, Incentives, Offseason pay, and Injuries. I have not seen the base salary numbers yet for Larson, Dhani, and Odom but from what I've seen and having a good feel for how the Bengals structure contracts I would estimate the following cap hits for 2008:

Larson: $1.5MM
Dhani: $2MM
Odom: $4.5MM

So the cost of these signings is ~$8MM. Bringing the cap space down to $8MM left. And once again do not buy into the rookie draft class costing $5MM. The cap number includes the 53 highest paid players. Say the rookie pool allocated to the Bengals is $5MM for 10 draft picks. That means 10 players must be displaced from the current calculation. The next 10 lowest paid players removed for the rookies totals $4MM in Salary Cap dollars. So the net for the rookies impact on the salary cap would be $1MM - NOT $5MM. The Bengals still have room to get things done and they could also cut some players (eg. Thorton, Rudi) and create additional and significant cap space.

If the rookie pool is 5-8 million that takes us to anywhere from 17-23 million used up. If I remember correctly we had about 30 million of cap room so that leaves us (under my very basic calculations) with anywhere from 7-13 million left.

Wonder where the rest is going? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[quote name='dacow' post='640229' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:28 AM']If the rookie pool is 5-8 million that takes us to anywhere from 17-23 million used up. If I remember correctly we had about 30 million of cap room so that leaves us (under my very basic calculations) with anywhere from 7-13 million left.

Wonder where the rest is going? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

Mikey needs a new Corsica.....

[quote name='dacow' post='640229' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:28 AM']If the rookie pool is 5-8 million that takes us to anywhere from 17-23 million used up. If I remember correctly we had about 30 million of cap room so that leaves us (under my very basic calculations) with anywhere from 7-13 million left.

Wonder where the rest is going? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote]

you really are a dumbass.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='640227' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:26 AM']The current salary cap update has us at ~16MM under the cap (this includes Andrews Franchise Tender). Also this number includes all the buffers that the Bengals put in for Practice Squad, Incentives, Offseason pay, and Injuries. I have not seen the base salary numbers yet for Larson, Dhani, and Odom but from what I've seen and having a good feel for how the Bengals structure contracts I would estimate the following cap hits for 2008:

So the cost of these signings is ~$8MM. Bringing the cap space down to $8MM left. And once again do not buy into the rookie draft class costing $5MM. The cap number includes the 53 highest paid players. Say the rookie pool allocated to the Bengals is $5MM for 10 draft picks. That means 10 players must be displaced from the current calculation. The next 10 lowest paid players removed for the rookies totals $4MM in Salary Cap dollars. So the net for the rookies impact on the salary cap would be $1MM - NOT $5MM. The Bengals still have room to get things done and they could also cut some players (eg. Thorton, Rudi) and create additional and significant cap space.[/quote]

How much will our first round pick cost against the salary cap? At least $1.5 M. That single signing is more than the $1M you are allowing. Add in the second and third rounders who are likely to make the team and it should easily approach $2M. The 5 - 7 round picks are not likely to make the team unless there is an injury.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='640227' date='Mar 5 2008, 09:26 AM']The current salary cap update has us at ~16MM under the cap (this includes Andrews Franchise Tender). Also this number includes all the buffers that the Bengals put in for Practice Squad, Incentives, Offseason pay, and Injuries. I have not seen the base salary numbers yet for Larson, Dhani, and Odom but from what I've seen and having a good feel for how the Bengals structure contracts I would estimate the following cap hits for 2008:

So the cost of these signings is ~$8MM. Bringing the cap space down to $8MM left. And once again do not buy into the rookie draft class costing $5MM. The cap number includes the 53 highest paid players. Say the rookie pool allocated to the Bengals is $5MM for 10 draft picks. That means 10 players must be displaced from the current calculation. The next 10 lowest paid players removed for the rookies totals $4MM in Salary Cap dollars. So the net for the rookies impact on the salary cap would be $1MM - NOT $5MM. The Bengals still have room to get things done and they could also cut some players (eg. Thorton, Rudi) and create additional and significant cap space.[/quote]

Thanks Phatcat...I knew Hobson was off. The $7-8 MM number seems to make more sense I guess after the recent signings.

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='640243' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:11 AM']give me a break... :rolleyes:

Mikey hasn't shaved money off of the cap for his own gain since the 90s.

Now if you want to talk non-cap related expenditures...

But the cap?

Give me a break.[/quote]

man, you know you're opinion is bad if Ludwig is sticking up for Mikey. :lol:

[quote name='bearcat7777' post='640241' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:08 AM']How much will our first round pick cost against the salary cap? At least $1.5 M. That single signing is more than the $1M you are allowing. Add in the second and third rounders who are likely to make the team and it should easily approach $2M. The 5 - 7 round picks are not likely to make the team unless there is an injury.[/quote]

Let's say the Bengals have 10 draft picks this year and the rookie pool will prolly be $5MM - this rookie pool is the maximum the Bengals are allowed to spend on the draft choices for the salary cap in 2008. If you then go look at the salary cap page for the 10 lowest paid players they total sum of their salaries is a cunt hair shy of $4MM. Those players become displaced (ie removed from the Salary Cap calculation). So 5MM - 4MM = 1MM.

At this point every player added means another player is displaced. In fact, I broke my own rule when I estimated the Salary Cap impact with Odom, Larson, and Dhani. Instead of ~8MM in cap space it should be over $9MM because of the savings from the 3 players displaced.

Santucci, Dan $390,000
Ndukwe, Chinedum $378,838
Jones, David $370,000

[quote name='Phatcat' post='640247' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:18 AM']Let's say the Bengals have 10 draft picks this year and the rookie pool will prolly be $5MM - this rookie pool is the maximum the Bengals are allowed to spend on the draft choices for the salary cap in 2008. If you then go look at the salary cap page for the 10 lowest paid players they total sum of their salaries is a cunt hair shy of $4MM. Those players become displaced (ie removed from the Salary Cap calculation). So 5MM - 4MM = 1MM.

At this point every player added means another player is displaced. In fact, I broke my own rule when I estimated the Salary Cap impact with Odom, Larson, and Dhani. Instead of ~8MM in cap space it should be over $9MM because of the savings from the 3 players displaced.

Santucci, Dan $390,000
Ndukwe, Chinedum $378,838
Jones, David $370,000[/quote]

whats the likely hood of there being NAY worthwhile mentioning cap hit form the players likely displaced? for example if we draft a safety and cut dexter thats another 250k kit to the cap for this year.. with 10 picks those could add up, but im guessing MOST players on the chopping block had minimal sign on money and are non factors..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='640249' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:20 AM']whats the likely hood of there being NAY worthwhile mentioning cap hit form the players likely displaced?[/quote]

don't understand the question????? :huh:

[quote name='LudwigVan Kubrick' post='640252' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:23 AM']Whatever dude.

All the ways that Mike Brown handicaps his own damn franchise, least dacow could do is pick a valid one to criticize, not this cap nonsense.[/quote]

haha, you were supposed to take that as a compliment. :) And agreed, Mike's cheap in a lot of areas, but not the cap.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='640253' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:24 AM']don't understand the question????? :huh:[/quote]

Oops, saw you edited your post. Yes the guys at the bottom of the 53 players used for the cap have minimal if not zero cap dead money. Now if a guy like Dexter was cut then the dead money becomes a factor. But for the offseason cap calculations its best to just assume the lowest guys on the salary ladder are displaced. Obviously, that will not be the case and a case could be made the players released created more savings than the rookies signed.

Archived