Olbermann: Special Comment on Geraldine Ferraro

BlackJesus

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='643872' date='Mar 16 2008, 12:23 PM']Be honest....you know as little about why people voted they way they did as I do....[color="#FF0000"]other than what the media has fed us[/color]....

right?[/quote]

Now who's the conspiricy theroist? ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='643905' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:25 PM']Now who's the conspiricy theroist? ;)[/quote]

Answer me this:

What is the media's number 1 objective?
A. Inform it's viewers.
B. Push it's agenda.
C. Make the world a better place.
D. Like every other corporation, make money.

If you answered correctly and I am sure you did....what makes money?

Controversy......

What makes the best controversy?

Saying everyone lives and acts out of fear.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='643907' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:41 PM']Answer me this:

What is the media's number 1 objective?
A. Inform it's viewers.
B. Push it's agenda.
C. Make the world a better place.
D. Like every other corporation, make money.

If you answered correctly and I am sure you did....what makes money?

Controversy......

Saying everyone lives and acts out of fear.[/quote]

Saying a man is only winning his respective party nominiation because he is black.

Which brings me back to my original point, if Obama being black was the reason he is in the lead, why didnt Jackson or Sharpton lead during their runs?

Because its not the reason (contribute? debateable, but not in my opinion) the reason is his elequence and his stance on the war (why I voted for him when Paul ended up being done) amongst other issues.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='643907' date='Mar 16 2008, 01:41 PM']If you answered correctly and I am sure you did....what makes money?

Controversy......[/quote]

Correct! You could have also said 'drama'. But dig a little deeper... would they be reporting on that garbage if there was not a market for it? People are no longer satisfied with what goes on in their own lives, they have to be involved in shortcomings/misfortunes in other people's lives. It's why shows like TMZ, Survivor, and American Idol exist... I would guess that the majority of people watch those shows to watch someone get screwed / struggle. It's like monster that keeps feeding off itself, the more shows like this they make, the more people watch, so they make more shows.

It's even in the NFL... look at the "reports" by Adam Schefter and Jay Glazer... basically the TMZ reports of the NFL. People have become so absorbed in this negative way of thinking, that now you can't get away from it.

P.S. - Does anyone hate Schefter as much as I do? I hate that gay little smirk he has on his face as he 'reports' on who is angry today and wants to be traded... :lol:

[quote name='Cat' post='643913' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:53 PM']Correct! You could have also said 'drama'. But dig a little deeper... would they be reporting on that garbage if there was not a market for it? People are no longer satisfied with what goes on in their own lives, they have to be involved in shortcomings/misfortunes in other people's lives. It's why shows like TMZ, Survivor, and American Idol exist... I would guess that the majority of people watch those shows to watch someone get screwed / struggle. It's like monster that keeps feeding off itself, the more shows like this they make, the more people watch, so they make more shows.

It's even in the NFL... look at the "reports" by Adam Schefter and Jay Glazer... basically the TMZ reports of the NFL. People have become so absorbed in this negative way of thinking, that now you can't get away from it.

P.S. - Does anyone hate Schefter as much as I do? I hate that gay little smirk he has on his face as he 'reports' on who is angry today and wants to be traded... :lol:[/quote]

It became so much worse with the invention of "24 hour news" channels......they need something to talk about ALL THE TIME!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='643910' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:50 PM']What makes the best controversy?

Saying a man is only winning his respective party nominiation because he is black.

Which brings me back to my original point, if Obama being black was the reason he is in the lead, why didnt Jackson or Sharpton lead during their runs?

Because its not the reason (contribute? debateable, but not in my opinion) the reason is his elequence and his stance on the war (why I voted for him when Paul ended up being done) amongst other issues.[/quote]

My point is should eloquence be the most important prerequisite for the office of President of the U.S.?

Yes it will give us a better image...so I am sure it will help, but eventually people will stop listening if no substance starts to appear from that eloquence.

I am tellin ya.....If Obama loses he needs to go into business with Jim Baker and raise funds for a huge religious resort/retreat because he would make a great televangelist with his rousing speeches that say nothing.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='643920' date='Mar 16 2008, 03:08 PM']My point is should eloquence be the most important prerequisite for the office of President of the U.S.?

Yes it will give us a better image...so I am sure it will help, but eventually people will stop listening if no substance starts to appear from that eloquence.

I am tellin ya.....If Obama loses he needs to go into business with Jim Baker and raise funds for a huge religious resort/retreat because he would make a great televangelist with his rousing speeches that say nothing.[/quote]

I never said elequence is the most important prerequeiste, it really shouldn't be that important at all. (other than being able to communicate your points) I said people like that about him and its a reason why he is doing well. Big difference.

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='643594' date='Mar 15 2008, 04:26 AM']*APPLAUSE*

seriously, how can anyone like her? i mean i get the whole feminist vibe to her campaign and everything, but at some point youve got to realize that putting a respectable non-polarizing figure in office is more important than shrewdly throwing in the first woman available. in the long term, if elected hillary clinton would do more damage to the womens rights movement than simply waiting a few more years for another highly qualified candidate

oh, and shes a bitch too....[/quote]

You know, it almost seems pointless to talk about candidates in here when we have people who are so ill informed. She is not running a feminist campaign and if you think she is then your simply too busy not paying attention. She has never used the word feminist and she has actually backed off from the woman card. In fact, many of her feminist supporters who have been behind her for years have gotten pissed that she has dropped that in her pursuit.

I hope you do realize that shes not the first woman to be in the presidential bid? There were a few others, shes the first who is making it and has a shot in her own right and thats a big deal. And what the hell is wrong with women in politics. If you want to make arguments about women in politics then you need to know their historical place in politics. Men didn't want women to get the right to vote because they thought they would create a "voting block" and that never happend. So your obvious fears about a woman being in president are simply unfounded.

SHE IS QUALIFIED and there have been many unqualified men who run for president and many unqualified that have become president. So why in the hell should a woman not be able to run? Seriously, men have screwed shit up for long enough, let a damn woman do the same or do better. Don't give me its "that woman" bullshit because I know if it was someone else you'd be throwing out the same lame over used canned response.

The media is ridiculous and if you do not think that the presidential election is not some what determined by the media than your one of those who believes everything that the media says. Thats just my comment in general about the media and is not directed at anyone.

In addition, does anyone remember the discovery channel's vote on who the best presidents were a few years ago. The same people who named Ronald Reagan as the number one president also named our current president George Bush as number two. I will never forget that. Peoples attitudes and ideas about who is the best president doesn't always represent the truth and thats unfortunate. Having "it" really means nothing, but simply being able to con the people into thinking your doing something right and important or perhaps you just have a good suit and a nice smile.

Archived