Game System Recommendations

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='679439' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:50 AM']Since you don't own a PS3, I'm guessing you haven't exactly logged many hours on GT5, eh? ;)

I've never seen a driving game that could touch the physics of GT. I didn't get to play much of 4 before the move <_<, but unless I saw differently with my own two eyes, I'd stick with the GT series.

And 1080p > 720p. :P[/quote]

True but I have played both series and forza is insanely good. I edited my post, but here is the same link comparing the two. (read what they say about Forza's physics engine, also forza is supported in 1080i)

[url="http://www.gameguru.in/driving/2008/09/gran-turismo-vs-forza-motorsport-ultimate-comparison/"]http://www.gameguru.in/driving/2008/09/gra...ate-comparison/[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='679448' date='Jul 17 2008, 02:08 AM']True but I have played both series and forza is insanely good. I edited my post, but here is the same link comparing the two. (read what they say about Forza's physics engine, also forza is supported in 1080i)

[url="http://www.gameguru.in/driving/2008/09/gran-turismo-vs-forza-motorsport-ultimate-comparison/"]http://www.gameguru.in/driving/2008/09/gra...ate-comparison/[/url][/quote]
nice read, thanks.

funny that the forza web link you gave before didn't mention 1080i at all :shrug:

[quote name='Farbeyonddriven' post='679496' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:26 PM']The falcon chip is what I was talking about.[/quote]

Its strange, a few people here have had the 3 rings isssue, I got my 360 in the 2nd shipmment when they first came out and I still havent had any issues. Not that im complaining.

i probably have the best opinion since im a playstation fan that owns a 360 and has owned a wii.

I sold the gamecube with motion sensing i mean wii after a couple months because nothing has been more boring to play. Graphics and depth of games was horrible, mostly kids games (the E3 announcements the other day goes directly to my case), and really only fun with other people around.

As for the other 2, both still get destroyed by PC but that can be pretty expensive. I have a 360 but would call the 360 and PS3 equals. Both have big plusses and big minuses.

360...online play is better but you have to pay for it, RROD is a huge problem and now there are reports of the falcon chips starting to red ring. Headstart on game production so more games available

PS3...free online game play, despite what people say the blu ray is absolutely amazing and a huge bonus for people that like movies (worth the cost of a ps3), more games are coming out and in no time game selection wont be much different between 360 and ps3

take your pick between the 360 and ps3. If your a huge movie fan then go for the ps3 and if your not go for the 360. I say its as simple as that

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='679499' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:41 PM']Its strange, a few people here have had the 3 rings isssue, I got my 360 in the 2nd shipmment when they first came out and I still havent had any issues. Not that im complaining.[/quote]
i think a lot of people have had the RROD on here.

i had it straight out of the box and never even had one second of playing time

and on thing i forgot, as games keep getting bigger and more in depth the ps3 has a huge advantage over the 360 because of the space available on the blu ray disc. I remember reading that GTA IV maxed out the disc space on the 360 and i can only imagine what final fantasy is going to do

[quote name='whodey319' post='679509' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:52 PM']i probably have the best opinion since im a playstation fan that owns a 360 and has owned a wii.

I sold the gamecube with motion sensing i mean wii after a couple months because nothing has been more boring to play. Graphics and depth of games was horrible, mostly kids games (the E3 announcements the other day goes directly to my case), and really only fun with other people around.

As for the other 2, both still get destroyed by PC but that can be pretty expensive. I have a 360 but would call the 360 and PS3 equals. Both have big plusses and big minuses.

360...online play is better but you have to pay for it, RROD is a huge problem and now there are reports of the falcon chips starting to red ring. Headstart on game production so more games available

PS3...free online game play, despite what people say the blu ray is absolutely amazing and a huge bonus for people that like movies (worth the cost of a ps3), more games are coming out and in no time game selection wont be much different between 360 and ps3

take your pick between the 360 and ps3. If your a huge movie fan then go for the ps3 and if your not go for the 360. I say its as simple as that[/quote]

What games does Sony put out themselves? That really is the tell tale sign as to what will be exclusive to each system as far as games goes because every other game by 3rd party developers is up for grabs with FF13 now on both systems.

For 360 you will never get, the following on any other system.

Forza Motorsport
Gears of War
Mass Effect
Halo
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Im sure there is more, this is just off the top of my head.

What games does sony themselves develop? Serious question.

(also the blu-ray jokes are about that as the sole selling point for a gaming system)

[quote name='whodey319' post='679510' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:57 PM']i think a lot of people have had the RROD on here.

i had it straight out of the box and never even had one second of playing time

and on thing i forgot, as games keep getting bigger and more in depth the ps3 has a huge advantage over the 360 because of the space available on the blu ray disc. I remember reading that GTA IV maxed out the disc space on the 360 and i can only imagine what final fantasy is going to do[/quote]

That depends on the developers and whether or not they decide to take advantage of the hard drive and install the games on it like you do a PC, rather than running them right off the disk.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679509' date='Jul 16 2008, 03:52 PM']i probably have the best opinion since im a playstation fan that owns a 360 and has owned a wii.

I sold the gamecube with motion sensing i mean wii after a couple months because nothing has been more boring to play. Graphics and depth of games was horrible, mostly kids games (the E3 announcements the other day goes directly to my case), and really only fun with other people around.[/quote]

Laughable review of the system.

As far as the Wii goes, I thought it was going to be gimicky and while I dont own one, I play at my friends place on friday nights, Im seriously thinking about gettting one now as its alot of fun. Espessally if you play games in groups.

[quote name='KangarWhoDey' post='679439' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:50 AM']Since you don't own a PS3, I'm guessing you haven't exactly logged many hours on GT5, eh? ;)

I've never seen a driving game that could touch the physics of GT. I didn't get to play much of 4 before the move <_<, but unless I saw differently with my own two eyes, I'd stick with the GT series.

And 1080p > 720p. :P[/quote]

Can you still drive on a track and use the sides of the AI cars to help get you around corners?

I always loved those physics.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='679536' date='Jul 16 2008, 05:13 PM']As far as the Wii goes, I thought it was going to be gimicky and while I dont own one, I play at my friends place on friday nights, Im seriously thinking about gettting one now as its alot of fun. Espessally if you play games in groups.[/quote]
this is why i got it...biggest disappointment ever

[quote name='mongo' post='679533' date='Jul 16 2008, 05:05 PM']Laughable review of the system.[/quote]
i cant believe you of all people enjoy it. I know what PC games you played and i cant believe the wii holds your attention

[quote name='whodey319' post='679509' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:52 PM']i probably have the best opinion since im a playstation fan that owns a 360 and has owned a wii.

[b]I sold the gamecube with motion sensing i mean wii after a couple months because nothing has been more boring to play. Graphics and depth of games was horrible, mostly kids games (the E3 announcements the other day goes directly to my case), and really only fun with other people around.[/b]

take your pick between the 360 and ps3. If your a huge movie fan then go for the ps3 and if your not go for the 360. I say its as simple as that[/quote]

thats a terrible review of the wii.

[quote name='mongo' post='679533' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:05 PM']Laughable review of the system.[/quote]

i agree 100%.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='679536' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:13 PM']As far as the Wii goes, I thought it was going to be gimicky and while I dont own one, I play at my friends place on friday nights, Im seriously thinking about gettting one now as its alot of fun. Espessally if you play games in groups.[/quote]

the Wii is amazing. Super Paper Mario is FUN as hell and i play it by myself all the time. And Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Kart. I dont even have Super Mario Galaxy or Strikers or Metroid or many of the other games i want because i dont have the time to play them cuz i play these other games so much. I havent turned on my 360 in 3 weeks because ive been playing Wii games non stop. Wii games are also fantastic to play in groups too, but i can play them by myself just as much. The Wii is way more fun in groups than any other system and equally entertaining solo.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679570' date='Jul 16 2008, 06:51 PM']this is why i got it...biggest disappointment ever

i cant believe you of all people enjoy it. I know what PC games you played and i cant believe the wii holds your attention[/quote]

i know he loves the wii because ive discussed it with him before. it reaches to EVERY type of gamer.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='679575' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:00 PM']the Wii is amazing. Super Paper Mario is FUN as hell and i play it by myself all the time. And Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Kart. I dont even have Super Mario Galaxy or Strikers or Metroid or many of the other games i want because i dont have the time to play them cuz i play these other games so much. I havent turned on my 360 in 3 weeks because ive been playing Wii games non stop. Wii games are also fantastic to play in groups too, but i can play them by myself just as much. The Wii is way more fun in groups than any other system and equally entertaining solo.[/quote]
you basically proved my point for me. Not one game you mentioned is geared toward an adult or anyone close to a serious gamer and the wii is way more fun i groups. since i think its safe to assume there are more chances to play by yourself then in groups i would go a different direction. if you already have a primary gaming system then a wii is fine to get but it did nothing for me as my main console

[quote name='whodey319' post='679583' date='Jul 16 2008, 07:48 PM']you basically proved my point for me. Not one game you mentioned is geared toward an adult or anyone close to a serious gamer and the wii is way more fun i groups. since i think its safe to assume there are more chances to play by yourself then in groups i would go a different direction. if you already have a primary gaming system then a wii is fine to get but it did nothing for me as my main console[/quote]

wait, so you're looking for video games to make you feel like an adult? Most games aren't geared towards adults only. Why should they be? I don't play video games because they're geared towards a certain age. I play them because they're fun.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='679584' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:52 PM']wait, so you're looking for video games to make you feel like an adult? Most games aren't geared towards adults only. Why should they be? I don't play video games because they're geared towards a certain age. I play them because they're fun.[/quote]
playing super smash brothers is of zero interest to me, mario kart was fun 10 years ago, and even games like zelda make it seem like the game wasnt the focus but trying to integrate the motion sensing is.

call of duty 4, assasins creed, rainbow six, GTAIV, madden, forza, etc.

these would be games i would say are geared toward"adult" and arent cartoonish characters where you play mini games for a few hours. Trust me, i gave wii a shot. I had wii sports, zelda, trauma center, battle someting that i cant remember the name, simpsons, tony hawk playground, and a couple other games. All im saying is that the games are mindless and had a serious lack of depth to them

look at what they announced at E3...wii music, snowboarding and animal crossing. Thats the best they could come up with?

[quote name='whodey319' post='679583' date='Jul 16 2008, 07:48 PM']you basically proved my point for me. Not one game you mentioned is geared toward an adult or anyone close to a serious gamer and the wii is way more fun i groups. since i think its safe to assume there are more chances to play by yourself then in groups i would go a different direction. if you already have a primary gaming system then a wii is fine to get but it did nothing for me as my main console[/quote]

I agree with this Wii is alot of fun, but I dont think Id be able to have it alone as my main system.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679585' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:04 PM']playing super smash brothers is of zero interest to me, mario kart was fun 10 years ago, and even games like zelda make it seem like the game wasnt the focus but trying to integrate the motion sensing is.

call of duty 4, assasins creed, rainbow six, GTAIV, madden, forza, etc.

these would be games i would say are geared toward"adult" and arent cartoonish characters where you play mini games for a few hours. Trust me, i gave wii a shot. I had wii sports, zelda, trauma center, battle someting that i cant remember the name, simpsons, tony hawk playground, and a couple other games. All im saying is that the games are mindless and had a serious lack of depth to them

look at what they announced at E3...wii music, snowboarding and animal crossing. Thats the best they could come up with?[/quote]
look what everyone announced at E3. this years E3 was fucking terrible. oh yeah and the 360 created a more Mii like dashboard haha. Why? because Nintendo knows whats up.

Here you go Jason this is a pretty even handed and fair comparison done by a guy that develops for both 360 and PS3 (but doesnt give his name due to not wanting to step on toes.)

[url="http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/"]http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-...one-year-later/[/url]

[quote name='whodey319' post='679570' date='Jul 16 2008, 07:51 PM']i cant believe you of all people enjoy it. I know what PC games you played and i cant believe the wii holds your attention[/quote]

I'm not one of these self-proclaimed "hardcore" gamers who thinks real gamers only play Halo, Madden, GTA, and the other e-penis measuring stick games. I don't play games to "pwn" or "rape newbs." I don't look for "realism," mature content, or polygon counts as hallmarks of quality games. I am big into concept, story, game mechanics, diversity, something new. Yes, I like Team Fortress, Day of Defeat, and the Half-Life series. However, I also love Tetris, Zelda, Magic: The Gathering, Super Mario Brothers, Metroid, Civilization, Sim City, Brain Age, Castlevania, Mario Kart, Starcraft, Risk, Chess, Poker, Ultima, Professor Layton, Final Fantasy, and a zillion other games.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679583' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:48 PM']you basically proved my point for me. Not one game you mentioned is geared toward an adult or anyone close to a serious gamer and the wii is way more fun i groups.[/quote]

I think your definition of "serious gamer" is narrow-minded. Serious gamers don't care if they're in control of Master Chief or Luigi as long as the game is well made.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679585' date='Jul 16 2008, 09:04 PM']look at what they announced at E3...wii music, snowboarding and animal crossing. Thats the best they could come up with?[/quote]

1) The last E3 to warrant big announcements was the 2006 E3. The restructured, small E3 is an afterthought for the big players these days.

2) Wii Motion Plus controller accessory is big news.

3) Hints were dropped about a new Galaxy, a new Zelda, a sequel to New Super Mario Bros., Pikmin for Wii, but won't be announced until one of Nintendo's big events.

4) Shown at E3 (because you prefer games to be "adult"):

Archived