Bengals Sign Cedric Benson

[quote][size=5][b]Thinking out loud 10.1[/b][/size]
Wednesday, October 1, 2008, 10:00 AM EST [General]

I'm surprised by the backlash to the Cedric Benson signing.

Here are the arguments I'm hearing...

1. It's just like the Bengals to try to put a band-aid on the losing with a signing, Benson doesn't play offensive line... blah, blah, blah...

Well, Kenny Watson was inactive for Sunday's game, DeDe Dorsey was injured in the game and was put on the Reserve-Injured list on Tuesday. Chris Perry's backup? Ryan Fitzpatrick? Chris Perry had trouble holding onto the ball -- who else is going to run it?

2. Shaun Alexander...

I've lived n Cincinnati and Tuscaloosa, Ala., I've heard all about Shaun Alexander. Every single person I've ever encountered who has known Shaun Alexander says he's one of the finest people you'll ever meet. However, he's on the downside of his career. Although people have complained about the fact other teams have passed on Benson, those same teams have passed on Alexander. Oh, and add the Steelers to that list, too. A great player in his time, it looks like his NFL career is over.

3. And, there's the Redeemer again...

Benson was released after two alcohol-related arrests before the season. All of those charges were dropped. The first was a boating incident where he was charged not only with while boating while intoxicated, but also resisting arrest. Witnesses on the boat said he was not drunk and did not resist arrest, they also said there were pictures to back up the claims. After a highly-publicized denial and charge of police brutality, weeks later, Benson was pulled over on "suspicion of DUI" and allegedly failed a field sobriety test. According to the Travis County Attorney, the video from the police car showed that Benson "appeared very good." You think it's possible he was targeted there? Just a possibility? That one cost him his job with the Bears. The only legal trouble Benson has been convicted of is a criminal trespass charge in college he pleaded guilty to. According to the Austin American-Statesman, he kicked in a door to retrieve a plasma TV he claims was stolen from him. That was in 2003.

4. The Saints and Lions passed on him...

Yeah, they also passed on Shaun Alexander. Also, they passed on Benson before those two cases were dropped.

Finally, what is there to lose? The team needed a body there, went with what they felt was the best option. Will it work? Who knows? I certainly wouldn't bet on it. But it's not a bad move in the least.

* I can hear it now -- you talked about Chris Henry, but take the side of Cedric Benson, what's the difference?

The difference is Cedric Benson had one charge stick -- in 2003, while in Texas. Chris Henry has been suspended for a total of 14 games as a Cincinnati Bengal by the NFL (two in 2006, eight in 2007 and four in 2008) and another by Marvin Lewis (in 2006). There have been three incidents that Henry has pleaded guilty to while a Bengal. To me, that's the difference. Yes, like Benson, the charge that ultimately got him cut was dropped -- but he the difference is what led up to it.[/quote]

[url="http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/10/01/thinking_out_loud_101"]http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog/2008/10...ng_out_loud_101[/url]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='707438' date='Oct 1 2008, 12:00 PM']For those of you who like this (again I dont hate it) with as bad as the Oline has been what makes you think Benson is going to be the team savior? If they arent blocking for Perry they arent going to block for Benson.[/quote]

Who said anything about savior? I'm just hoping he might break a tackle every once in a while, maybe not fumble once a game, maybe lower his shoulder and finish runs now and then?

You know, like a running back?

I think Housh is a better running back than Chris Perry.

Don't be surprised if this guy is our starter by December.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='707521' date='Oct 1 2008, 02:55 PM']Who said anything about savior? I'm just hoping he might break a tackle every once in a while, maybe not fumble once a game, maybe lower his shoulder and finish runs now and then?

You know, like a running back?

I think Housh is a better running back than Chris Perry.

Don't be surprised if this guy is our starter by December.[/quote]

Yeah I dont agree with that at all.

From Paul Daugherty`s blog . . .

[quote][size=5][b]It's Official! Bengals return to Comedy Central![/b][/size]
Posted 10/1/2008 1:11 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com
Back in the Lost Decade, when nothing was good and the future was worse, I stopped taking the Cincinnati Bengals seriously. I'd attend the games and think of ways to make people smile on Monday who had been breaking their TVs on Sunday.

I raked leaves for a woman in Hyde Park. I watched all the other games on the bank of TVs in the PBS dining room, so as to see what NFL football looked like. I wrote a whole column to the city of Cleveland, upon the Browns return, thanking them for bringing professional football to Ohio.

I did an online poll asking people if I should cover the last 4 games of an especially horrific season, explaining I had run out of synonyms for "lousy''. Of 2,000 respondents, 60 pct said no. I thank them to this day.

Last week, I pondered briefly doing the Monday column on the kids playing football at halftime. I decided to play it straight, believing Our Men might win. What a dork.

Now that Our Men have hired yet another arrestee, I am back in 90s mode. This team isnt as bad as those were. But everything else is pretty much the same. So for me, it's back to comedy. When the Bengals begin taking this stuff seriously, so will I. Until then, it's to laugh.

In that vein, I recommend highly the posts to Mark Curnutte's blog re the Benson signing. Further, I can't recommend highly enough the site WhoDey Revolution. It's time to start laughing again, people. It beats the alternative.[/quote]

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3Post%3a7817bd04-ebc5-4e55-b8f0-cea5abf98fb7&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com"]http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/s....cincinnati.com[/url]

Here is the site that Doc is recommending . . .

[url="http://whodeyrevolution.typepad.com/"]http://whodeyrevolution.typepad.com/[/url]

[quote name='VonBlade' post='707164' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:56 PM']I'm in the "might not work out but is more likely to than what we have available or than what's out there" camp.

Which given the rampant retardation going on in some of the posts today probably puts me in a camp of one.

I'm fucking sick of these new guys who've been around for five minutes solely posting to rag the team or mention they're quitting. Fuck them. Ride it out you pussies. This aint no comfy bandwagon, sometimes the ride is bumpy.
/rant.[/quote]

I was just thinking the same VB...

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='707199' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:41 PM']yea I've heard the phrase "drinking the kool-aid" before, and still it doesn't apply. No team in the league gives a shit about what the rest of the league thinks of them. That fact has nothing to do with what I think or don't think about the bengals or what colored glasses I'm wearing or not.

Why do you care so much about what the league thinks of your team?[/quote]
All I said was that the rest of the league is laughing at us. I don't care SO much, but I'd rather them be thought of high vs. laughed at.

Archived