Bengals Sign Cedric Benson

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='707131' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:15 PM']If you think that signing Benson is a good thing you need your head examined.

The rest of the league is laughing at us. Detroit had their chance to sign Benson and passed for a more expensive Rudi.[/quote]

who gives a shit about the rest of the league, seriously?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='707128' date='Sep 30 2008, 03:13 PM']Benson averaged 3.8 YPC the last two years...what did Rudi do?[/quote]

Funny, people pointed to Rudi's 3.8 ypc in 2006 as evidence that he sucked.

Rudi averaged 3.5 ypc over the past 2 years. And one of those years
he had a hamstring injury.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I think about this signing yet.
Obviously, Benson was a high 1st round draft pick,
and he has something to prove. But he was a huge
bust for the Bears.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='707132' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:16 PM']I think it is a low risk/high reward move....thats it.[/quote]
I hope you're right. I hope he plays great. Look at him joining this team now. Is he even in playing shape? How long before this (I sure highly inteligent) guy actually takes the field?

Everyone Bengals fan or not should be shaking their heads and saying WTF is going on over there.

This isn't a terrible signing. We're probably just paying veteran minimum since he's being picked up as a reserve player. What we need is a power runner who can convert 3rd and 1, even when the line doesn't get any push. I'm not sure Benson is that guy. Davenport, who the Stealers signed today is a better player, but he knows their system and would get more snaps so it's no surprise he signed there..

[quote name='oldschooler' post='707139' date='Sep 30 2008, 10:24 PM']Anyway, I'm not sure what I think about this signing yet.[/quote]

I'm in the "might not work out but is more likely to than what we have available or than what's out there" camp.

Which given the rampant retardation going on in some of the posts today probably puts me in a camp of one.

I'm fucking sick of these new guys who've been around for five minutes solely posting to rag the team or mention they're quitting. Fuck them. Ride it out you pussies. This aint no comfy bandwagon, sometimes the ride is bumpy.
/rant.

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='707142' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:26 PM']I hope you're right. I hope he plays great. Look at him joining this team now. Is he even in playing shape? How long before this (I sure highly inteligent) guy actually takes the field?

Everyone Bengals fan or not should be shaking their heads and saying WTF is going on over there.[/quote]

I am willing to bet the Bengals worked him out to see if he was in shape before they signed him....

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='707138' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:22 PM']Look at the rest of the league and look at us. Put the cool-aid down and take off the Orange glasses.

You don't care, but the people who have made this orginazation should.[/quote]

what does kool-aid or orange glasses have to do with anything? I couldn't care less what other teams fans think of my team.

Do you honestly think the Colts, Patriots, or Cowboys give a shit what the rest of the league thinks of them? Here's a hint, the answer is "no".

[quote name='sparky151' post='707150' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:33 PM']This isn't a terrible signing. We're probably just paying veteran minimum since he's being picked up as a reserve player. What we need is a power runner who can convert 3rd and 1, even when the line doesn't get any push. I'm not sure Benson is that guy. Davenport, who the Stealers signed today is a better player, but he knows their system and would get more snaps so it's no surprise he signed there..[/quote]

I don't know that I'd go as far as to say Davenport is better than Benson, not to mention Davenport's "criminal activity" is worse as well. But you're right in that it was done because he knows their system.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='707175' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:12 PM']what does kool-aid or orange glasses have to do with anything? I couldn't care less what other teams fans think of my team.

Do you honestly think the Colts, Patriots, or Cowboys give a shit what the rest of the league thinks of them? Here's a hint, the answer is "no".[/quote]
They should'nt care. Generally they do things "right", and "well". When you win like the 3 perenial winning teams you just mentioned I can't help but giggle that you put the Bengals in the same class of team as those 3.

You never heard the frase "you've been drinking the (put teams name here) Kool-aid". Come on dude

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='707189' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:32 PM']They should'nt care. Generally they do things "right", and "well". When you win like the 3 perenial winning teams you just mentioned I can't help but giggle that you put the Bengals in the same class of team as those 3.

You never heard the frase "you've been drinking the (put teams name here) Kool-aid". Come on dude[/quote]

yea I've heard the phrase "drinking the kool-aid" before, and still it doesn't apply. No team in the league gives a shit about what the rest of the league thinks of them. That fact has nothing to do with what I think or don't think about the bengals or what colored glasses I'm wearing or not.

Why do you care so much about what the league thinks of your team?

[quote name='oldschooler' post='707139' date='Sep 30 2008, 03:24 PM']Funny, people pointed to Rudi's 3.8 ypc in 2006 as evidence that he sucked.

Rudi averaged 3.5 ypc over the past 2 years. And one of those years
he had a hamstring injury.

Anyway, I'm not sure what I think about this signing yet.
Obviously, Benson was a high 1st round draft pick,
and he has something to prove. [b]But he was a huge
bust for the Bears.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, kind of like Mr. Glass/Butterfingers has been for us. So now we have TWO Number One Pick RB Busts...

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='707199' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:41 PM']yea I've heard the phrase "drinking the kool-aid" before, and still it doesn't apply. No team in the league gives a shit about what the rest of the league thinks of them. That fact has nothing to do with what I think or don't think about the bengals or what colored glasses I'm wearing or not.

Why do you care so much about what the league thinks of your team?[/quote]

cause all of his work buddies make fun of his favorite team, and it instantly makes his johnson 1/rd the size... he is nothing if not a fan of a winning team. life is empty.

high reward , low risk...what's not to like about getting involved in that opportunity? this guy was a monster when he played at texas! let's let jim anderson work with this guy and see what we come up with, before we get so critical of this decision. if they can get him on the right track, this guy could be a helluva asset to the team.

you hollier than thou m/f's need to take a deep breath and relax. it's not like we're wasting a super-bowl opportunity here. this season has already been tossed to the wayside.

[quote name='bengaled' post='707212' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:52 PM']high reward , low risk...what's not to like about getting involved in that opportunity? this guy was a monster when he played at texas! let's let jim anderson work with this guy and see what we come up with, before we get so critical of this decision. if they can get him on the right track, this guy could be a helluva asset to the team.

you hollier than thou m/f's need to take a deep breath and relax. it's not like we're wasting a super-bowl opportunity here. this season has already been tossed to the wayside.[/quote]

We are desperate so we are a wee bit thin on options at this point. You make a good point. Only problem is the guy is a complete cancer according to his old teammates.

[url="http://thebiglead.com/?p=6195"]http://thebiglead.com/?p=6195[/url]

[quote name='SF2' post='707254' date='Sep 30 2008, 06:41 PM']We are desperate so we are a wee bit thin on options at this point. You make a good point. Only problem is the guy is a complete cancer according to his old teammates.

[url="http://thebiglead.com/?p=6195"]http://thebiglead.com/?p=6195[/url][/quote]

sorry, but I'm a bit skeptical of the opinion of players who tried to INTENTIONALLY hurt one of their teammates so that he wouldn't play. That's shady as fuck and says more to the character of those 10 defensive players. I'm also skeptical of a veteran locker room who claimed, or actually let a second year player become a cancer. If a 2nd year guy is a cancer in your locker room, what's that say about the leadership in the locker room?

Updated article . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals, Benson entertain revival thoughts [/b][/size]
By GEOFF HOBSON
September 30, 2008

The agent for running back Cedric Benson says his client's work ethic is a classic Midwestern approach and is a good fit for a Cincinnati team in desperate need of backfield depth.

"If you look at his history before the Bears, he's a winner," said Eugene Parker, head of Maximum Sports Management, after signing Benson to a one-year deal. "He was on three state champions in Texas and on a national championship caliber team in college at Texas. He's lost some weight and is ready to go."

With running back DeDe Dorsey out for the year, the Bengals turned to Benson, a star-crossed former first-round pick, to back up Chris Perry Sunday in Dallas.

Dorsey goes to season-ending injured reserve for the second straight season. Last year it was an ankle injury. This year it is a hamstring problem he aggravated covering a kickoff Sunday while Perry's other backup also nurses a hamstring problem.

Kenny Watson, inactive last Sunday, appears to at least be questionable for the Cowboys, leaving only Perry and fullbacks Daniel Coats and Reagan Maui'a as healthy in the backfield.

The 5-11, 220-pound Benson played in 35 games with 12 starts for the Bears from 2005-07 after they took him with the fourth pick. He rushed for 1,593 yards on 420 carries for a 3.8 yards-per-carry average with 10 touchdowns. He also had 26 catches for 180 yards.

Despite missing the last five games with an ankle injury last season, Benson posted career highs with 674 yards, 17 catches, and 123 receiving yards. He worked out with the Saints and Lions the past few weeks but hadn't hooked on anywhere.

Benson joins the Bengals five days after two Travis County grand juries in his native Texas declined to indict him on charges of boating while intoxicated, and resisting arrest in May and driving while intoxicated. in June during two incidents that spurred his release from the Bears.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail Tuesday that "There is no pending disciplinary action," against Benson.

"That's a very significant thing that has happened," said Parker, who also represents Perry. "The grand jury almost rubber stamps the prosecutor, but they decided to not even return an indictment. It never got to court. Believe it or not, people can be wrongfully accused."

Even before the two incidents, Benson had been enduring a difficult time in Chicago that literally began the moment he was drafted.

He broke down at the podium when he recalled the predraft scrutiny and he was put under the microscope when he didn't return from a knee injury in the first quarter during the Bears' Super Bowl loss to the Colts.

He also took heat for criticizing the way he was hit during a practice and his 3.8-yard per carry wasn't good enough for Bears fans seeking the guy who became only the fifth player in history to rush for 1,000 yards all four years of college.

But Parker says Benson is in great shape and determined to re-build his career at the age of 25. Benson, who doesn't turn 26 until Dec. 28, no doubt had the edge on Shaun Alexander in the Bengals' plans because of age. Alexander turned 31 Aug. 30.

Benson was clearly the most ballyhooed of the backs that tried out Tuesday at Paul Brown Stadium. According to a NFC source, the others were Noah Herron, Keon Lattimore, Vernand Morency, LaBrandon Toefield, and Dwayne Wright.

Benson, known as a good interview in Chicago who spoke his mind without worrying if it rubbed people the wrong way, gave his first once since June to the Austin American-Statesman last week.

"These last couple of months have been humbling," he told the paper. "It really made me take a step back and evaluate what I was doing. It's given me an opportunity to look in the mirror, to see who I'm looking at and talk to that person."

"I don't need to be watching football," Benson said in the interview, "but I can't resist. It kind of depresses me, but I can't help but to watch defenses. I'm so ready. I'm ready to explode when my opportunity comes."

Benson has a Bengal connection in Gigi Bryant, the mother of former Bengals linebacker Marcus Wilkins. She is helping him set up public appearances in which he can help children's causes, according to The American-Statesman.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7119"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7119[/url]

Also, Benson is listed on the Bengals roster as #32 . . .

A different runner, but he could be a Thomas Jones in terms of turning around his career. Jones sucked in Arizona, (The Bengals similiarly seasons of suck having counterpart)

He went to the Bucs, did well, went to the Bears did well, even to push out Benson to us. But it took him a few years to get his head out of his ass.

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals sign TB Cedric Benson[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 04:28 PM

[b]BENSON HAS TALENT;

HE ALSO HAS HISTORY OF

OFF-FIELD PROBLEMS

BENGALS GIVING

EX-CHICAGO BEAR

ANOTHER CHANCE[/b]

In a shocking move to help jump-start the offense, the Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday signed free agent tailback Cedric Benson and placed tailback DeDe Dorsey on the Injured Reserve list with a right hamstring injury.

Benson, who has a history of off-the-field problems, was cut by the Chicago Bears on June 10 after two alcohol-related arrests in a month span.

But he was cleared of all charges stemming from the arrests for drunken driving and drunken boating in Texas. He’ll try to resurrect his NFL career in Cincinnati, where “Redeemers R Us.”

Benson, a 5-foot-11, 220-pounder, is a fourth-year NFL player from the University of Texas. He was Chicago’s first-round selection in the 2005 draft (No. 4 overall) after a career with the Longhorns that included 5,540 rushing yards and the third-most touchdowns (64) in NCAA history.

Benson played in 35 games with 12 starts for the Bears from 2005-07, rushing for 1,593 yards on 420 carries (3.8) with 10 TDs. He also had 26 receptions for 180 yards.

He had an additional 104 rushing yards with a TD and 24 receiving yards in the 2006 postseason, as Chicago advanced to Super Bowl XLI against Indianapolis.

Last season, though missing five games with an injury, he posted career highs for rushing yards (674), receptions (17) and receiving yards (123).

He started Games 1-11, but suffered a season-ending ankle injury on Nov. 25 against Denver and was placed on the Bears’ Injured Reserve list on Nov. 27.

“Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate,” Bears General Manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement when Benson was released in June. “As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions.”[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/09/30/bengals_sign_tb_cedric_benson_1.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...c_benson_1.html[/url]

[quote name='Squirrlnutz' post='707094' date='Sep 30 2008, 03:27 PM']You think this is a football move? Mikey is a "Forgiver." Its his weakness...this entire thing is really just a freindly jesture to get Benson back on his feet because Mikey is in the business of saving lives, not winning football games.

:ninja:[/quote]

why the ninja?

Archived