Bengals Sign Cedric Benson

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='707136' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:18 PM']who gives a shit about the rest of the league, seriously?[/quote]

Florio, siciliano, and others are paid to talk and thats what they do. they have no interest in seeing the bengals win... when the bengals start winning, it does not matter how many unindicted supposed felons the team has, the media will be all over the bengals... they'll be sexy again.

as for benson, give the guy a chance to play, he has been a winner at every level except the bears--and it is obvious the players and he did not really hit it off... plus, the guy is innocent until PROVEN guilty. and even if he is guilty of boating under the influence, WHO CARES?! can he play football? and will he be there to play it? hell, if the nfl was not going to suspend odell thurman, wouldn't you want that guy playing for you? if you as a computer programmer, or salesman, or insurance agent got a DUI, should every company refuse to hire you thereafter?! who on this board (that drinks) has NEVER driven drunk? let the commissioner do the suspending, otherwise, let him play.

perhaps he comes in, works hard, and puts that top 5 pick talent to use and performs and helps us to 2 wins this year!

oh, and why NOT Alexander? hes just 31... the bengals really are idiots if they think people over 30 are no good...

[quote name='bubba' post='707193' date='Sep 30 2008, 05:35 PM']How is this a bad signing ? Fourth overall draft pick probably signed for peanuts. If he works out great, if not cut him and bring someone else in or bring up the guy off the practice squad[/quote]

i know right exactly i wish everyone would stop complaing...if he does well everyone is going to hop on his dick..if he does bad noone is surprised..we didnt pay much and he is gone..personally i like the signing and it couldn't hurt.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='707287' date='Sep 30 2008, 07:43 PM']Dont give a fuck about charcter. Even so the guy was a bust so Im not expecting much, if he produces Ill be pleasantly supprised.[/quote]
I don't think he was necessarily a bust. He had a good rookie year and is a collegiate record-holder both at Texas and in the NCAA (didn't he score the third most TD's in NCAA history?).

Plus, he played for the Bears, a team that absolutely sucked in 2005. Remember how bad we beat those guys? And he still had good stats. He's had injury issues, and now the DUI's...but I wouldn't put the bust label on him yet. The Bears were only good without him recently because they had Thomas Jones and a great defense...a combination that got them to the Superbowl.

This team gave in to the "pressure" from the media and the NFL and got rid of all the so-called bad apples and criminals. Has it helped one fucking bit? We went from division champs and a team on the rise to the worst team in the NFL.

You tell me how it has helped.

Being that Watson probably isn't active this week, we now have a running back for the Dallas game.

I only call my own plays in Madden, so I can't claim to be an offensive genius, but I'm pretty sure that most other teams also have running backs so they must be important. Now we have one, too, so I guess that's good.

At this point, we could sign the 12 apostles and we'd still be a "team of thugs". If they didn't kill anyone, I say fuck it, bring 'em on. We can be the new Oakland Raiders, or something.

[quote name='JoePong' post='707311' date='Sep 30 2008, 08:33 PM']This team gave in to the "pressure" from the media and the NFL and got rid of all the so-called bad apples and criminals. Has it helped one fucking bit? We went from division champs and a team on the rise to the worst team in the NFL.

You tell me how it has helped.[/quote]
Um, those same guys we got rid of were either injured, ineffective or malcontents since late 2006...and where was the media pressure to release Rudi, Willie and Deltha?

Those were surprises.

so is this where the money went that we saved up from letting go of rudi, willie, and deltha? ...very doubtful....we got this guy for practically nothing and im sitting here thinking where did all the benjamins go...why are we not getting talent in return for the money we saved for letting go of those guys.... :huh:

We just resigned "The Dumptruck". Coming soon to a closet near you.

I was thinking about Benson but knew we would never do it. Dookie knew our system from last year and since we play Jax next week they needed to get him signed so he can get his 4 carries for 9 yards in just like the playoff game.

Here's hoping to that Dookie Benson can get their shit together. Uh wait........ :lol:

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='707132' date='Sep 30 2008, 04:16 PM']I think it is a low risk/high reward move....thats it.[/quote]

Benson at worst is another body to get tackled. At best he is a very good compliment to our duo of more scat backs. This is an absolutely brilliant move. Solid in both the short and long terms. Name one back who we have drafted who has not developed under Jim Anderson that was not due to a severe injury.

My only problem is that it was only done for 1 season. If he blows up we will have to bid for his services. Thats not ideal.

[quote name='DontPushMe' post='707346' date='Oct 1 2008, 01:57 AM']nothing to lose, this is a good move

if he turns out to be good he can stick around for a while and him and perry will be a great combo

if not, we suck this year anyway, who cares[/quote]
2nd

And to all the people on here who hate the move, I'm not sure who you think would be a better option. Alexander? - didn't even get a workout this time around so he must be done; Johnson?- really, do we want a practice squad player as our No. 2 at any position? I really can't think of any decent backs on the street right now. True, keeping Rudi would have been nice right about now but if Benson gets the same production it's like he never left and we had no garauntee Rudi and his piss poor attitude would have played hard for us at all.
At least in Benson we get a guy who is trying to rebuild his image and his stock as a runner. Whatever we see on the field we know it is the best he can possibly do. If it isn't much then we only have him till the end of this year and if it is a lot maybe we sign him up for a few more years and then don't need to take a running back in the first round which it is looking like we need to do right now.
And the thing about him not being a good teammate - should be nothing new to this locker room.

I love the pick up, no downside, tons upside. Those are the deals you look for!

I wouldn't have minded picking up Ray Ray's kid brother Keon Lattimore either. He is a solid hard runner. I think Benson is going to open some eyes.

[quote]Analysis: Cedric Benson has deceptive speed when in the open field. Shows elusiveness and runs with a low center of gravity, not giving defenders much of an area to hit. Even when Benson is hit his tremendous balance allows him to gain extra yardage, very hard to bring down with only one defender. Physically gifted athlete who seems to run hard and stronger as the game wears on. Benson is also a better than average receiver although he is not used as often in the passing game. While Benson has adequate open field speed he isn’t among the fastest in this class. I have seen Benson carry the ball unprotected on a number of occasions, needs to get two hands on the ball or switch hands to shift the ball to his outside hand when cutting back. I have stated that he has good speed but he needs to work on getting out of his stance faster and improving his time on taking the handoff from the quarterback. Haven’t seen enough footage of him in pass protection, the Longhorns don’t ask him to do it very often. Benson may be the best red zone running back in this draft class. Benson is versatile because he can be used in short yardage situations as well as being a featured back. If Benson’s blocking is worked upon he can be used on third downs because he can catch the football. Benson has a great chance of being the first running back taken off the board and should go somewhere in the top 20.[/quote]

[quote name='cantstop85' post='707325' date='Sep 30 2008, 09:36 PM']so is this where the money went that we saved up from letting go of rudi, willie, and deltha? ...very doubtful....we got this guy for practically nothing and im sitting here thinking where did all the benjamins go...why are we not getting talent in return for the money we saved for letting go of those guys.... :huh:[/quote]

there's not exactly a bunch of high priced free agents out there right now. That money's going to be used to resign some of our own guys.

[quote][size=5][b]Bengals: ‘Redeemers R Us’[/b][/size]
By Chick Ludwig | Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 10:03 PM

[b]HEY, CED, WELCOME

TO THE ‘NATI, HOME

OF ‘BENGALIZATION,’

WHERE PLAYERS MUST

EARN THEIR STRIPES

BENSON WENT LOOKING

FOR A 2ND CHANCE; HE

CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE[/b]

===LUDWIG AT LARGE would like to ask loyal readers: Do you believe the Cincinnati Bengals are doing everything in their power to win? Has management hired the right coaches, scouts and players? Fans have certainly shown good faith by selling out Paul Brown Stadium. Has the club shown good faith in return? Just curious.===

Seriously, folks, I thought the Cincinnati Bengals signing of running back Cedric Benson was a joke.

A gag.

A fun & simple prank to break the monotony of an “off” day.

That’s what Tuesdays are supposed to be — off.

Heck, Mitch Albom wrote a book — Tuesdays with Morrie — because he had Tuesdays off.

But things are different on the Cincinnati Bengals beat.

There are no days off.

Why?

Because every day is Armageddon.

So when Bengals PR director Jack Brennan called to alert me that the news release was on its way, I had to be sure he was serious. I had to be sure it was no joke.

I discovered …

He was serious and it wasn’t a joke

Yes, it is real. Benson is the newest Bengal.

A star with the Texas Longhorns, a bust with the Chicago Bears.

And two alcohol-related arrests — one in May, the other in June — led to his dismissal on Monday, June 9, 2008.

Here’s what Bears GM Jerry Angelo told the Chicago media after dropping the guillotine nearly four months ago:

“Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate. You have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions. When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team. Those who fail to understand the importance of ‘team’ will not play for the Chicago Bears.”

But they will play for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Odell Thurman. Chris Henry. Jason Shirley. Reagan Maui’a. Cedric Benson.

Yes, they will play for the Cincinnati Bengals.

[b]In case you missed it, from Dec. 15, 2005, to June 18, 2007 — a span of 19 months — 10 Bengals players were arrested in a total of 15 incidents.[/b] (And in case you didn`t notice Chickster, that was 15 months ago).

Please allow me to reprise this quote from Bengals president Mike Brown at the club’s annual pre-training camp luncheon on July 22, 2008, in the East Club Lounge at Paul Brown Stadium.

Brown was asked about “turning the corner” on the club’s character issue. THIS WAS AFTER THURMAN AND HENRY WERE RELEASED. HENRY WAS RE-SIGNED ON AUG. 19, 2008.

IN MIKE BROWN’S WORDS:

“The world is divided up between redeemers and non-redeemers. I happen to be a redeemer. I believe people can be made better and right. If that’s a fault, so be it. These guys misstep. They’ve paid prices for it that have been verging on ruinous. But that doesn’t mean I dislike them. Personally, I like them as people. I regret what’s happened to them, and I regret that they’re no longer here. Things just conspired to undo them.

“We don’t want that kind of behavior. We’ve tried to be more conscious of the guys we bring in than maybe we were before. We’re going forward and will try to go forward with the kind of guys we can count on, who are not just good players, but good citizens.”

Now that the Bengals have a Benson, the roster could use a Hedges.

That would make for a good laugh.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/09/30/bengals_reedemers_r_us.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...emers_r_us.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Benson brought in as backup to Perry[/b][/size]
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 3:03 AM
By Scott Priestle

The Columbus Dispatch

CINCINNATI -- As they did with receiver Chris Henry, the Bengals gambled on raw talent despite a rap sheet yesterday in signing free-agent running back Cedric Benson, a former first-round draft pick. Each has the skills to transform the team's struggling offense, if he can stay out of trouble.

Benson was released by the Chicago Bears in June after two arrests in five weeks, for boating while intoxicated and driving while intoxicated. Both charges were dropped last week when grand juries declined to indict him.

The fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft, Benson is expected to back up Chris Perry in Cincinnati. He could play as soon as Sunday in Dallas.

The Bengals placed third-string running back DeDe Dorsey on injured reserve after he suffered a hamstring injury Sunday in a 20-12 loss to Cleveland. Kenny Watson was inactive for that game because of a hamstring injury, and his status for this week is in doubt.

The Bengals welcome Benson at the same time they welcome back Henry, who was suspended by the NFL for the first four games. He has 17 touchdown catches in 35 career games but has been arrested five times and suspended three times since the Bengals drafted him in the third round in 2005.

Henry is eligible to be activated at any time. The Bengals received a one-game roster exemption, which will allow him to practice with the team this week without being added to the 53-man roster.

Benson averaged 3.8 yards per carry and 531 yards per season during the first three years of his career. The Bears released him June 9, two days after the second arrest and with two years remaining on his contract.

In a statement released by the team then, Bears president Jerry Angelo said, "Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate. ... When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team."

Benson worked out for the Detroit Lions and New Orleans Saints in recent weeks, but neither team offered a contract. The Bengals rank 31st of 32 teams in yards per game and 30th in rushing yards per game.

spriestle@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/10/01/bengals01.ART_ART_10-01-08_C3_H3BFQ5S.html?type=rss&cat=&sid=101&title=BensonbroughtinasbackuptoPerry"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sport...asbackuptoPerry[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='707375' date='Oct 1 2008, 09:03 AM'][url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/chickludwig/entries/2008/09/30/bengals_reedemers_r_us.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/s...emers_r_us.html[/url][/quote]

What a bullshit article.....In this case we played the role of the Cowboys.....we let someone else waste the draft pick and then we picked up the troubled talent...

The Bengals do it and they are stupid...

The Cowboys do it and they are geniuses for getting such a good deal...

The difference?

Wins will cover up a lot of garbage.

[quote][size=5][b]Benson's big break? RB-needy Bengals take a chance on ex-Bear[/b][/size]
By Mike Wilkening
Sept. 30, 2008

Cedric Benson will get a chance to rekindle his NFL career in Cincinnati. The Bengals signed Benson, the former Bears running back, on Tuesday. The club was in need of a veteran back after DeDe Dorsey suffered a hamstring injury serious enough to have him placed on injured reserve Tuesday. Also, Kenny Watson, the top backup to starter Chris Perry, is battling a hamstring injury of his own. Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, rushed for 1,593 yards in three seasons with Chicago, but never lived up to expectations, and when he was arrested twice in a span of a little more than a month this spring, the Bears waived him.

Benson was cleared of charges from both incidents last week.

[b]The PFW spin[/b]

Benson should consider himself very lucky. A free-agent running back couldn't ask for a much better opportunity, really. Consider the following:

Perry hasn't done much in his first season as the Bengals' starter, rushing for only 208 yards on 72 carries (2.9 avg.) and fumbling four times (losing two).

Watson is 30 years old, and the Bengals know his strengths and weaknesses. So even if he returns soon from the hamstring injury, the Bengals might be more inclined to see what they have in Benson, who's five years younger than Watson.

The Bengals' RB coach, Jim Anderson, is one of the best in the NFL.

If Benson is in shape, and if he is willing to work at his craft, he'll have a chance to push for a significant role in the offense, especially if Perry doesn't pick up his play. But if Benson falters in any way, all bets are off, and his NFL career very well could be over.

We'll quickly find out if Benson learned anything from his experience with the Bears, who handed him a starting job and were very disappointed with the results. The Bengals will have far less patience with Benson.

All they have given him is an opportunity, a pretty choice one, all things considered. Now it's up to Benson to do something with it.[/quote]

[url="http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+North/Cincinnati/Spins/2008/spin093008.htm"]http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/A.../spin093008.htm[/url]

I don't see where the upside is with Benson. For anyone who hasn't watched him, he sucks.
He had big numbers in college playing behind a strong O-line with a QB who scared opponents more than Benson. There's nothing wrong with giving a guy a second chance, just don't expect much from him in terms of production.

[quote name='sparky151' post='707426' date='Oct 1 2008, 10:35 AM']I don't see where the upside is with Benson. For anyone who hasn't watched him, he sucks.
He had big numbers in college playing behind a strong O-line with a QB who scared opponents more than Benson. There's nothing wrong with giving a guy a second chance, just don't expect much from him in terms of production.[/quote]

Why because he played on a shitty Bears offense? Look at the Bears offense they are known as a running football team especially when they had Grossman as QB. The past three years they haven't been too good on offense. Now when teams know you run the ball the majority of time they know they need to put extra guys in the box to stop the run. I am not willing to say Benson sucks because I think the change of scene might do him some good. I really don't care what his past has been, and he never was convicted of any of his crimes, so I am not ready to throw in the towel on this guy. I think he can and will contribute this season and he is very young, so why not expect that he might be pretty good for the Bengals offense. We need a back with some power and I think we got him in Benson. Hey the Dolphins could have written off Ricky Williams and look how good he is doing this year with Ronnie Brown in the backfield. It is too early to tell if this guy is going to stink. Perfect example is Thomas Jones he was shitty his first 4 years in the NFL and then in his fifth year he almost got to 1000 yards and the last three season he has run for over a 1000 yards in each of those seasons. Shit we are 0-4 we have one of the worst running games in the NFL and you want to complain about signing Cedric Benson because of what he did in Chicago. I'd say wait to see what he does before you run him down.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='707348' date='Oct 1 2008, 04:49 AM']2nd

And to all the people on here who hate the move, I'm not sure who you think would be a better option. Alexander? - didn't even get a workout this time around so he must be done; [b]Johnson?- really, do we want a practice squad player as our No. 2[/b] at any position? I really can't think of any decent backs on the street right now. True, keeping Rudi would have been nice right about now but if Benson gets the same production it's like he never left and we had no garauntee Rudi and his piss poor attitude would have played hard for us at all.
At least in Benson we get a guy who is trying to rebuild his image and his stock as a runner. Whatever we see on the field we know it is the best he can possibly do. If it isn't much then we only have him till the end of this year and if it is a lot maybe we sign him up for a few more years and then don't need to take a running back in the first round which it is looking like we need to do right now.
And the thing about him not being a good teammate - should be nothing new to this locker room.[/quote]

Ryan Grant was a practice player...Willie Parker was undrafted and showed up at camp just trying to make the team.

I'm not saying Johnson is the answer, but I would have liked to see him get some carries in a real game because...hey you never know!

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='707438' date='Oct 1 2008, 11:00 AM']For those of you who like this (again I dont hate it) with as bad as the Oline has been what makes you think Benson is going to be the team savior? If they arent blocking for Perry they arent going to block for Benson.[/quote]

I agree with that for the most part. I don't think its a bad signing at all, but until the oline improves we won't really know how good of a signing it was.

Archived