Any of you guys following the MV Faina Story?

Chris Henrys Dealer

Any of you folks following it?

So a Belize registered, Ukrainian owned ship carrying Russian T-72 tanks, rocket launchers and other arms was apparently destined for Kenya. But off the coast of Somalia, it got boarded by pirates

[img]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01000/Somalia-pirates-46_1000271c.jpg[/img]

The coast of Somalia is very dangerous for shipping, especially, around the city of Eyl, which is a haven for pirates. (There are estimates that 7 hijacked ships are there)

So the Somali pirates said, they would release the cargo and crew upon payment of a $20 MM ransom. But then concerns arose, that this might just be an arms grab to help the rebels fighting the Somali govt....so US ships / British ships and now a Russian destroyer are tracking the ship.

The USS Howard and the USS Vela Gulf have the ship surrounded now. The dudes on board are threatening to fight to the death, and other pirates from the city of Eyl are also saying they will come out to fight. While, these dudes are heavily outgunned, they do have a lot of rocket launchers, and the threat of suicide attacks like in Yemen can't be discounted.

The Kenyan government wants a commando style operation to board the boat and free the crew on there and also save the weaponry they paid for. Action is probably imminent any day now, so it should be interesting.

I have, not to the nth degree but have been watching it.

I've still not figured out how (or better question is why) a damn cargo barge that big was stopped by "pirates" in little speed boats... just doesn't make a lot of sense from that perspective.

great opportunites all around...

great opportunity to help relations with russia, great opportunity to build relations in the area, great opportunity to help out sudan, good opportunity to show the area not to fuck with the international community and to dampen the rampant hijackings, and its definitely a great opportunity to showcase devgru's capabilities

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='707856' date='Oct 2 2008, 08:27 PM']I have, not to the nth degree but have been watching it.

I've still not figured out how (or better question is why) a damn cargo barge that big was stopped by "pirates" in little speed boats... just doesn't make a lot of sense from that perspective.[/quote]

It's not the speedboats so much as the boarding with automatic weapons that stops the cargo ships. Although the speedboats do allow the pirates to catch up with the larger vessel. Arrrr!

[img]http://www.k-gallery.com/kjournal/media/2/20070919-joannascheezburger-com.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='707856' date='Oct 2 2008, 01:27 PM']I have, not to the nth degree but have been watching it.

I've still not figured out how (or better question is why) a damn cargo barge that big was stopped by "pirates" in little speed boats... just doesn't make a lot of sense from that perspective.[/quote]

old school rocket launchers are very common in that part of the world. I imagine they could do some damage still.

[quote name='Chris Henrys Dealer' post='707913' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:12 PM']old school rocket launchers are very common in that part of the world. I imagine they could do some damage still.[/quote]
Especially to a ship loaded to the gills with ammunition like this one. Kinda ironic...they've got tanks and such and no way to use them against these little speedboats!

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='707871' date='Oct 2 2008, 02:54 PM']It's not the speedboats so much as the boarding with automatic weapons that stops the cargo ships. Although the speedboats do allow the pirates to catch up with the larger vessel. Arrrr!

[img]http://www.k-gallery.com/kjournal/media/2/20070919-joannascheezburger-com.jpg[/img][/quote]

I understand rocket launchers...

But boarding from speed boats would be a rather difficult task when you're talking a probably 3 story height difference. THe logistics just wouldn't make such a task easy. Especially if you're moving.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='707929' date='Oct 2 2008, 09:44 PM']I understand rocket launchers...

But boarding from speed boats would be a rather difficult task when you're talking a probably 3 story height difference. THe logistics just wouldn't make such a task easy. Especially if you're moving.[/quote]

I'm not sayin' it's easy matey, but they clearly manage somehow. People get very inventive when it comes to craploads of money.

• 1 month later...
They've taken a Super-tanker now!

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7733482.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7733482.stm[/url]

[img]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45215000/jpg/_45215416_tanker_afp_466_170.jpg[/img]

[quote]The Sirius Star made its maiden voyage in March of this year

Somali pirates have seized a giant Saudi-owned oil tanker in the Indian Ocean and are steering it towards Somalia, the US Navy reports.
The Sirius Star is the biggest ship ever to be hijacked, with a capacity of 2m barrels - more than one-quarter of Saudi Arabia's daily output.
The vessel was captured on Saturday some 450 nautical miles (830km) off the Kenyan coast.
Its international crew of 25, including two Britons, is said to be safe.
US Navy officials said the hijacking was unprecedented and marks a fundamental shift in their capabilities.

'Holding hostages'

Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the pirates were well trained.
"They're very good at what they do," he told a Pentagon briefing in Washington.
"Once they get to a point where they can board, it becomes very difficult to get them off, because, clearly, now they hold hostages."

Life in Somalia's pirate town

From cutlass to AK-47

The US Navy said the ship was "nearing an anchorage point" at Eyl, a port often used by pirates based in Somalia's Puntland region.
War-torn Somalia has not had an effective government since 1991.
News of the attack raised crude oil prices on global markets following an earlier slump, Reuters news agency reported.

The capture, south-east of Mombasa, is highly unusual both in terms of the size of the ship and the fact it was attacked so far from the African coast, BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner says.

He says that such hijackings are usually resolved peacefully through negotiations but, given the high profile of this event and the value of the cargo, there is always the possibility of some kind of military response.
Attacks on shipping off the Horn of Africa and Kenya by mainly Somali pirates seeking ransoms prompted foreign navies to send warships to the area this year.
A number of vessels and their crews have been held captive for months, including the Ukrainian freighter MV Faina, seized in September.
'Crew safe'
The supertanker was heading for the US via the Cape of Good Hope at the southern tip of Africa, Reuters reports.

THE SIRIUS STAR

Nearly the length of a US aircraft carrier
Weighs more than three times as much as a carrier when loaded
Can carry 2 million barrels of oil - more than 25% of Saudi Arabia's daily output
Is third tanker, and biggest vessel, to be hijacked in the region

Life in Somalia's pirate town
The route around the Cape of Good Hope is a main thoroughfare for fully-laden supertankers from the Gulf.
With a capacity of 318,000 dead weight tonnes, the ship is 330m (1,080ft) long and is classed as a Very Large Crude Carrier.
It is about as long as a US aircraft carrier and, when loaded, weighs more than three times as much.
"It's the largest ship that we've seen pirated," said Lt Christensen.
The South Korean-built Sirius Star, owned by the Saudi company Aramco, made its maiden voyage in March 2008.
The ship's operator, Vela International, said that all of the crew were reported to be safe.
"Vela response teams have been mobilised and are working to ensure the safe release of crew members and the vessel," it added.
Confirming that two Britons were aboard the tanker, the UK Foreign Office said it could not give any details of their role on the ship.
"We are seeking more information on the incident," a spokesman said.
The other crew are said to be from Croatia, the Philippines, Poland and Saudi Arabia.
Captive vessels
Figures from the International Maritime Bureau show that attacks in the area - the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean off the African coast - have made up one-third of all piracy incidents worldwide in 2008.

In the first nine months of the year 63 incidents were reported.
As of 30 September, 12 vessels remained captive and under negotiation with more than 250 crew being held hostage.
Pirates remain active and regularly strike in the region. In the past week alone:
• A Russian warship in the Gulf of Aden drove off pirates who tried to capture the Saudi Arabian merchant ship Rabih
• Pirates hijacked a Japanese cargo ship off Somalia
• A Chinese fishing boat was seized off the Kenyan coast
• A Turkish ship transporting chemicals to India was hijacked off Yemen
• The UK's Royal Navy shot dead two suspected pirates attacking a Danish cargo-ship off the coast of Yemen[/quote]

if you read the list at the bottm, its interesting. they sure dont look like they care about politics. They seem to have seized a boat from just about every country.

Looks like a international effort is needed to keep the sea lanes open and safe. Send a destroyer from russia, us, brit, and china I am sure good things will happen when we place those 4 ships close to each other (sarcasm)

really though, something has to be done to help the situation. I imagine one warship will be able to deter the situation, but I was never a seeeee-man

maybe some old swabbies can chime in with ideas

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='725173' date='Nov 18 2008, 12:52 PM']Obviously a job for Solid Snake

[img]http://mangasmaniac.blog.playersrepublic.fr/images/medium_Solid_Snake_MGS2_.2.jpg[/img][/quote]

So are they threatening to scuttle the thing and release all the oil into the water? Or just the hostages? Because they don't really need to fight to the death to blow the thing up. Remote cell phone bomb and they're good. I gotta think even some fuck head pirates know how to make an IED.

All you need is one observer if that. They could bring an Ironwood type device online and jam it before the commandos go in, but damn, I gotta figure you give them the ransom and then fuck on the back end.

...at least there is oil involved, so the US might actually do something.

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='725281' date='Nov 18 2008, 08:10 PM']Bring a sub in and execute a seal team to go in.....after this incident they...the tankers and their crew should get heavy arms to repel the pirates.[/quote]

You mean your favorite Sub right?

[img]http://static.amctv.com/img/movienights/dvdtv/redoctober/dvdtv_red_october_main.jpg[/img]

;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='725167' date='Nov 18 2008, 05:12 PM']I got a solution....

[img]http://www.derok.net/images/entertainment/johnny%20depp%20pirates%20of%20the%20caribbean.jpg[/img]

Someone had to do it.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='725287' date='Nov 19 2008, 02:43 AM']You mean your favorite Sub right?

[img]http://static.amctv.com/img/movienights/dvdtv/redoctober/dvdtv_red_october_main.jpg[/img]

;)[/quote]

Man, you really want a fictitious solution to this issue, don't you?

:ninja:

Get a super army of bad asses to go and take back these ships. A few to consider are

Chuck Norris
Ultimate Warrior
Sgt. Slaughter
Steven Segall
A.C. Slater
Brandon Walsh (from 90210)
We would probably need one more Karate guy just to be safe.

I would send them on the ship at 11pm and then be driving the ship back to it's owners by 11:07pm.

[quote name='TheBeaverHunter' post='725392' date='Nov 19 2008, 12:51 PM']Get a super army of bad asses to go and take back these ships. A few to consider are

Chuck Norris
Ultimate Warrior
Sgt. Slaughter
Steven Segall
A.C. Slater
Brandon Walsh (from 90210)
[color="#FF0000"]We would probably need one more Karate guy just to be safe.[/color]
I would send them on the ship at 11pm and then be driving the ship back to it's owners by 11:07pm.[/quote]

I dont think Ralph Macchio is working these days.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='725239' date='Nov 18 2008, 04:49 PM']So are they threatening to scuttle the thing and release all the oil into the water?[/quote]

No, that wouldn't do anything. The Indian Ocean is already full of oil from all the Indians bathing in it. :ninja:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='725287' date='Nov 18 2008, 08:43 PM']You mean your favorite Sub right?

;)[/quote]

Nope this one

[img]http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/woofboy111/Food/jerseymikes1-1.jpg[/img]

:rsju31uh9:

Archived