"The Wrestler"

Go Skins

I believe this goes wide on January 9th, but two theaters in DC have it currently as well as some of the other major markets.

The story isn't mind blowing (a washed up wrestler trying to prove he still has it while doing whatever it takes to make ends meet) but Rourke's performance is good, but not as emotional as it should have been considering what he has to deal with. I thought the story dragged a little, but the sub plots were handled well by whomever wrote the script. Rourke's performance is getting a lot of Oscar buzz but it will be interesting to see who he is up against to see if he will win or not.

I wouldn't pay 10 bucks to see this (AMC does a thing at least in DC that you can pay 6 bucks on Fri/Sat/Sun for a before noon showing) but it is worth seeing.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='736638' date='Dec 30 2008, 09:19 PM']Damn, matinee prices that end at noon? The theater we have in my town isn't worth going to for $2 unless you like hearing what is going on in every other movie they are showing at the time.[/quote]

At AMC on Friday's, Saturday's and Sunday's, yes. I found this out on X-Mas day when I paid 10.50 to see "The Spirit" at 5:05 PM. I think Regal still uses anytime before six is eight bucks (or whatever the going rate in DC is now a days). I have the AMC Moviewatcher card with over 550 points (2 points a movie) and I usually get something every time I use it (the latest promotion is get a Bunch a Crunch for a dollar with any purchase). Every 10 movies is a free movie, every 5 movies is a free small popcorn or small soda.

I think the cheapest theater in the DC area is University Mall where George Mason Univ. is. They get movies about 2 months after they are released and charge $4 except for Tuesdays where they charge $2.

If you think paying for a movie is bad, try sitting through an advanced screening. People don't know when the shut up, turn their cell phone off, or bring their young in's to an "R" movie, and countless other things. I have been attending those type of screenings since 1999, and I would like to think I have seen it all, but I doubt I have.

• 5 months later...
[quote name='Jason' post='741262' date='Jun 22 2009, 12:54 PM']Marissa Tomei naked, what's not to like?[/quote]

she is so fucking hot still. id tear that up (with my leg).

[quote name='Hooky' post='741268' date='Jun 22 2009, 01:24 PM']She's not shy in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" either.[/quote]

thats a good movie too

Archived