You've got to be kidding me

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766364' date='Apr 22 2009, 09:06 PM']Well, I think the suicide thing has a lot to do with a lot of things. School pressure? Sure. Kids are expected to do their best. There is no room for slacking in this country. Your life is set by the college you get into and there is a lot of pressure on the kids to excel. Personally, I think it's a little too much, but on the other hand I'd rather my kid go into a system that educates you than a system that just lets you walk on through.

As for saving face, damn straight, man. These people are hard core with that shit. But again, it reflects in society.

You know, when I walk into class, this is what happens. (bell rings) students stand up at their desks and wait quietly for me to settle in. At that time one student will say "Good morning, Jim." and then the rest of the class will repeat that. I give them the good morning and ask "How are you guys today?" and they'll all answer in some way like I'm fine, tired, hungry whatever. Then I tell them to have a seat and we get going with our class. At the end of the class the bell rings and all the students stand up again, one student says "Thank you, Jim. See you next week." and then the class repeats it and I say "see ya next week" and out the door I go. Can you imagine the outrage that would occur in the US if a teacher made his class stand up and greet him when he comes in? American schools are shit. And there's only one real place to lay the blame on that and that's with the parents that have taken all the power away from the teachers.
MULLY[/quote]
That's great. It wasn't too long ago when American school classrooms were a lot like that. They should still be like that. Our school systems are too damn liberal and accomodating.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766364' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:06 PM']Well, I think the suicide thing has a lot to do with a lot of things. School pressure? Sure. Kids are expected to do their best. There is no room for slacking in this country. Your life is set by the college you get into and there is a lot of pressure on the kids to excel. Personally, I think it's a little too much, but on the other hand I'd rather my kid go into a system that educates you than a system that just lets you walk on through.

As for saving face, damn straight, man. These people are hard core with that shit. But again, it reflects in society.

You know, when I walk into class, this is what happens. (bell rings) students stand up at their desks and wait quietly for me to settle in. At that time one student will say "Good morning, Jim." and then the rest of the class will repeat that. I give them the good morning and ask "How are you guys today?" and they'll all answer in some way like I'm fine, tired, hungry whatever. Then I tell them to have a seat and we get going with our class. At the end of the class the bell rings and all the students stand up again, one student says "Thank you, Jim. See you next week." and then the class repeats it and I say "see ya next week" and out the door I go. Can you imagine the outrage that would occur in the US if a teacher made his class stand up and greet him when he comes in? American schools are shit. And there's only one real place to lay the blame on that and that's with the parents that have taken all the power away from the teachers.
MULLY[/quote]

How is it outside of school? In regards to "respect" and basically, from what it sounds, a strive for excellence?

I don't know how it is outside of school in Japan, but could that environment have a negative effect on the children when they finish school? It sounds like they're at boot camp. Does it ever backfire and the kids go totally ape-shit when they're out? Rebelling, not respecting, etc.

I've seen a lot of that kind of thing just with the people I went to school with. I know a few young people that were so drove by their parents to do good in sports, do good in school, that by the time they were finished with high school, they couldn't last in college. They seized the opportunity to not be under that parental umbrella anymore and went for that total party lifestyle. Perhaps they were like that all along and couldn't do it because of their parents? Maybe it was because their parents were too strict and demanding of them... and when they got the chance to slack and live it up, they ran with it? Some of the people who I really thought would be the people to most succeed in my class ended up coming back here to Court House and work as waiters/waitresses (not that that's bad, but for me, it's not what I would want to do for a career) or Wal-Mart (again, the same as the waiter deal).

[quote name='Tigris' post='766391' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:40 PM']How is it outside of school? In regards to "respect" and basically, from what it sounds, a strive for excellence?

I don't know how it is outside of school in Japan, but could that environment have a negative effect on the children when they finish school? It sounds like they're at boot camp. Does it ever backfire and the kids go totally ape-shit when they're out? Rebelling, not respecting, etc.

I've seen a lot of that kind of thing just with the people I went to school with. I know a few young people that were so drove by their parents to do good in sports, do good in school, that by the time they were finished with high school, they couldn't last in college. They seized the opportunity to not be under that parental umbrella anymore and went for that total party lifestyle. Perhaps they were like that all along and couldn't do it because of their parents? Maybe it was because their parents were too strict and demanding of them... and when they got the chance to slack and live it up, they ran with it? Some of the people who I really thought would be the people to most succeed in my class ended up coming back here to Court House and work as waiters/waitresses (not that that's bad, but for me, it's not what I would want to do for a career) or Wal-Mart (again, the same as the waiter deal).[/quote]

You know, it does swing the other way outside of school but it swings more in their fashion than in their personalities. Kids here have to wear a uniform to school and there isn't any of that "But we can get away with this" shit either. The uniform has a way to be worn and that's how it's done. You'll see kids outside doing the whole hip hop thing or coloring their hair etc... But as far as manners go, no, not as bad as you'd think it would be. But then again, everything they do 24 hours a day 7 days a week, reflects on their school. If a kid is seen smoking on a Saturday you can bet your ass he's in trouble come Monday. Schools have a lot of authority over here. It's not like they come to your home or anything like that but if you act up in public you can be reprimanded at school for it.

But, because everything is so strict these kids have learned proper manners. It's not like in the US where one kid may have a strict set of parents while everyone else is cutting loose. Here they all have to tow the line so it's not as bad as you'd imagine it to be.

Now, don't throw anything at me like I'm saying every single kid here has manners. Of course there are trouble makers. But, people like that are shunned from the group and in this country that is not a good thing.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766400' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:03 PM']Now, don't throw anything at me like I'm saying every single kid here has manners. Of course there are trouble makers. [b]But, people like that are shunned from the group and in this country that is not a good thing[/b].
MULLY[/quote]
I prefer to think that it is. To an extent of course.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='766407' date='Apr 23 2009, 01:30 PM']I prefer to think that it is. To an extent of course.[/quote]

Yep, and that's exactly why you have fat cunts working in shops all over America sitting on their cell phones talking to friends and acting like you, the customer, are intruding on them during their call. America used to be similar to Japan and then the 60's hit and fucked everything up. It's been downhill ever since.

You know, here in Japan, at opening time of the department stores they actually have staff lined up on both sides of the door, like 20 people on each side, bowing and greeting the first customers of the morning. Of course the staff is all decked out in nice uniforms, white gloves etc... and they greet you with a smile and thank you for coming to their store.

Anyway, I'll agree 110% that the schools are a little too strict here. But I'd rather have it like this than like an American school. There's no way I could work in a school over there. It would be nice if both countries could find a good middle ground.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766409' date='Apr 23 2009, 12:48 AM']Yep, and that's exactly why you have fat cunts working in shops all over America sitting on their cell phones talking to friends and acting like you, the customer, are intruding on them during their call. America used to be similar to Japan and then the 60's hit and fucked everything up. It's been downhill ever since.

You know, here in Japan, at opening time of the department stores they actually have staff lined up on both sides of the door, like 20 people on each side, bowing and greeting the first customers of the morning. Of course the staff is all decked out in nice uniforms, white gloves etc... and they greet you with a smile and thank you for coming to their store.

Anyway, I'll agree 110% that the schools are a little too strict here. But I'd rather have it like this than like an American school. There's no way I could work in a school over there. [b]It would be nice if both countries could find a good middle ground.[/b]
MULLY[/quote]

California University?

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766409' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:48 PM']Yep, and that's exactly why you have fat cunts working in shops all over America sitting on their cell phones talking to friends and acting like you, the customer, are intruding on them during their call. America used to be similar to Japan and then the 60's hit and fucked everything up. It's been downhill ever since.

Anyway, I'll agree 110% that the schools are a little too strict here. But I'd rather have it like this than like an American school. There's no way I could work in a school over there. It would be nice if both countries could find a good middle ground.
MULLY[/quote]
Maybe I misunderstood you. You said people being "shunned from the group" if they are troublemakers [i]wasn't[/i] a good thing. I said that I thought that in some instances [i]it was[/i]. Did you mean [i]was[/i] a good thing? I'm confused!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='766445' date='Apr 23 2009, 10:25 PM']Maybe I misunderstood you. You said people being "shunned from the group" if they are troublemakers [i]wasn't[/i] a good thing. I said that I thought that in some instances [i]it was[/i]. Did you mean [i]was[/i] a good thing? I'm confused![/quote]

Sorry, man, what I meant is that it's not good to be shunned because your life will basically be fucked so people do their best to try and fit in.
MULLY

Does the teacher make jokes about students, or student's families. If your teacher makes jokes about your family, then I'd get a bit upset.

I had always assumed it was quite common that family was off limits. I know in my circles it is. I can crack a joke about my brother, but I'd get ticked if someone else did... It's like how I always got into fights with my brothers, but we'd beat the hell out of anyone else who fought with us, friend or not.

Is that not the case these days?

In the end, I think you got too personal with the joke. If you want to want to avoid the total grovel, tell the teacher you're sorry for the joke you made, but not for making a joke.

That study does show that suicides were down in the late 90's, when Cell phones were becoming more widespread (Asians love phones), and that they started going back up in the aughts (corresponding with increasing teacher supervision, maybe?).

[quote name='#22' post='766610' date='Apr 23 2009, 02:52 PM']That study does show that suicides were down in the late 90's, when Cell phones were becoming more widespread (Asians love phones), and that they started going back up in the aughts (corresponding with increasing teacher supervision, maybe?).[/quote]

Wow, who knew that cell phones are the cause of (and solution to) Japan's suicide problems?

[quote name='#22' post='766610' date='Apr 24 2009, 03:22 AM']That study does show that suicides were down in the late 90's, when Cell phones were becoming more widespread (Asians love phones), and that they started going back up in the aughts (corresponding with increasing teacher supervision, maybe?).[/quote]

Yeah, kids are committing suicide because they aren't allowed to have a cell phone in class. That sounds reasonable. Hey, if that's the reason a kid uses to off himself then more power to him.....or her. No need to waste space on this planet with someone that deranged.
MULLY
I think it may be more related to the pressures of getting into a good college and/or bullying

[quote name='#22' post='766610' date='Apr 23 2009, 02:22 PM']That study does show that suicides were down in the late 90's, when Cell phones were becoming more widespread (Asians love phones), and that they started going back up in the aughts (corresponding with increasing teacher supervision, maybe?).[/quote]

Are you really trying to draw a connection between suicide rates and cell phone supervision during school? Really?

Archived