You've got to be kidding me

[quote name='Ben' post='765708' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:27 AM']You should probably learn to have a little more respect for people.[/quote]
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='765735' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:00 AM']I'm a teacher and I can tell you right now that if I caught anyone working on a damn phone in my class it's getting taken away. I wouldn't give a flying fuck what rights you believe you have. You're there to learn, not to fuck around on your god damned phone. I agree with whoever said you need to learn to respect others.
MULLY
I also agree with whoever said it may be smart to man up and apologize.[/quote]
Sorry WDF, but I agree with these guys on this one. My teenage Son is always trying to fight the 'system' and the 'man' with this kinda shit and I keep trying to tell him that in situations were you are not the authority, you just gotta tow the line. Respect. In my opinion if you are in class, you should be paying attention to the teacher assuming he/she is actually teaching...it is inappropriate and rude to do otherwise.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' post='765704' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:16 AM']So I'm in English class..And my phone goes off..Doesn't ring just vibrates..I check it and my teacher asks what I'm doing....By the way people check their phones all the time in this class and listen to their ipods..I jokingly say that I'm texting his daughter..He then proceeds to get up go straight to the computer and put zeros in the gradebook for me. Never saying anything to me he just leaves...I'm assuming by this that he is going to fail me just over a joke. It's bullshit because of the reason and I need to pass the class to graduate. What do you guys think

The teacher always tries to make jokes about the students so it's really not a big deal.[/quote]

idiotic

[quote name='Ben' post='765834' date='Apr 21 2009, 01:51 PM']Hey guys, i was in this meeting the other day and answered the phone. When my boss asked who it was, i told him it was hi s wife. WTF, now i'm meeting with HR in an hour. He likes to joke around, why is he mad!?!?!?

Life is so unfair, billy answers emails in meetings all the time.

:D :D :D[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='765731' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:53 AM']is there a cell phone policy stated on the syllabus? I got out of academia before such a thing was necessary, but I'd have one now.[/quote]

there is but pretty much no school follows it.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='765735' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:00 AM']I'm a teacher and I can tell you right now that if I caught anyone working on a damn phone in my class it's getting taken away. I wouldn't give a flying fuck what rights you believe you have. You're there to learn, not to fuck around on your god damned phone. I agree with whoever said you need to learn to respect others.
MULLY
I also agree with whoever said it may be smart to man up and apologize.[/quote]

mr anal.

[quote name='sois' post='765758' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:42 AM']I appreciate your witty response to the teacher, especially if he is the type to joke around with you guys.

I also don't get how college is supposed to train you for real life if in real life; you can excuse yourself from a meeting to answer the phone. You didn't bother anyone, the phone was on vibrate. I guess answering it in class was the wrong move, but you are just a student, not a professional at this point. I'd cut you some slack especially if you are a first time offender.

However, in real life, you will run into d-bags all the time. You have to quickly learn if the d-bag can harm your career or in this case your grades. In this case, it sounds like he has the power and desire to F you in the A.[/quote]

he is in HS not college.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='765761' date='Apr 21 2009, 10:52 AM'][b]well seems everyone here is missing the point. what a bunch of uptight high horse riding nazi's...[/b]

the point being.. if he had said "checking my stock quotes" when he checked his phone, everyone would have laughed and had a good ol time.. but simply because he said the joke he did, he got the reaction he did..

seems like a pretty obvious question.. but got nothing but high horse old people responses.

every single student in every single school in the country has a cell phone in their pocket or bookbag... its not 1996 anymore. get a grip people.

you have two options id say.. ask him about it after class, if he seems bitter, apologize, just mentioning it and that you work hard should be enough to clear it up.. if he still has a stick up his ass, go above him, state that you made a mistake and you apologized and just want to move past it, and it should be handled pretty easily.

every single job i have ever had, and every class ive been in that joke would have been perfectly acceptable.... again, its not 1996 anymore....

im sure something similar was going on with all you long haired hippies 20 years ago....

juss sayin... :lol:[/quote]

yes, but it was a dumb comment.

[quote name='#22' post='765831' date='Apr 21 2009, 12:43 PM']Well, if you can't make it in academics, I hear that the Chamilitary is always hiring...

:rofl:[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[quote name='Ben' post='765834' date='Apr 21 2009, 12:51 PM']Hey guys, i was in this meeting the other day and answered the phone. When my boss asked who it was, i told him it was hi s wife. WTF, now i'm meeting with HR in an hour. He likes to joke around, why is he mad!?!?!?

Life is so unfair, billy answers emails in meetings all the time.

:D :D :D[/quote]

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='765973' date='Apr 22 2009, 08:22 AM']mr anal.[/quote]

Mr. Anal? What the fuck is wrong with you? When you go to school you are there to learn. You aren't there to be sitting around sending text messages on your phone. Japan is very strict about that. The kids have to turn in their phones to their homeroom teachers first thing in the morning. The HR teacher then takes them and puts them in a locker until the day is over. Sure, there are kids that don't turn them in, and I know who they are and I do not rat them out. I catch them doing shit on their phones every once in a while and when I do I tell them that they shouldn't have the phone with them and to put it away. If they continue then I'll take it from them. I've never had a problem, then again, Japanese kids are a billion times more well mannered than American kids so it's not really surprising.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766023' date='Apr 21 2009, 07:51 PM']Mr. Anal? What the fuck is wrong with you? When you go to school you are there to learn. You aren't there to be sitting around sending text messages on your phone. Japan is very strict about that. The kids have to turn in their phones to their homeroom teachers first thing in the morning. The HR teacher then takes them and puts them in a locker until the day is over. Sure, there are kids that don't turn them in, and I know who they are and I do not rat them out. I catch them doing shit on their phones every once in a while and when I do I tell them that they shouldn't have the phone with them and to put it away. If they continue then I'll take it from them. I've never had a problem, then again, Japanese kids are a billion times more well mannered than American kids so it's not really surprising.
MULLY[/quote]

i never dicked around with my phone at school, but that is a little ridiculous. also probably 30% of the kids that go to school arent there to learn they are forced to be there (u can say all but many do want to learn).

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' post='766115' date='Apr 22 2009, 11:33 PM']I can understand everybody's opinon. When the teacher constantly jokes around he has to see it coming from somebody else IMO. If he's not willing to take it in then he shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Especially since he is always constantly talking about his daughter.[/quote]

When you're the teacher you can make that rule. Life isn't fair, deal with it.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766122' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:50 AM']When you're the teacher you can make that rule. Life isn't fair, deal with it.
MULLY[/quote]
I know it isn't but that's not really what I'm trying to say. Say for instance the teacher wasn't even a teacher in this situation. Say a student. Would this been handled another way? Well of course. Could've been battles back and forth.

[quote name='Who Dey Forever' post='766126' date='Apr 22 2009, 10:53 AM']I know it isn't but that's not really what I'm trying to say. Say for instance the teacher wasn't even a teacher in this situation. Say a student. Would this been handled another way? Well of course. Could've been battles back and forth.[/quote]

I take it this was during a test? Regardless of the joke or not, you deserved a 0 for texting someone during class.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766023' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:51 PM']Mr. Anal? What the fuck is wrong with you? When you go to school you are there to learn. You aren't there to be sitting around sending text messages on your phone. Japan is very strict about that. The kids have to turn in their phones to their homeroom teachers first thing in the morning. The HR teacher then takes them and puts them in a locker until the day is over. Sure, there are kids that don't turn them in, and I know who they are and I do not rat them out. I catch them doing shit on their phones every once in a while and when I do I tell them that they shouldn't have the phone with them and to put it away. If they continue then I'll take it from them. I've never had a problem, then again, Japanese kids are a billion times more well mannered than American kids so it's not really surprising.
MULLY[/quote]

"In their suicide notes, 91 mentioned problems at school, an increase of 28.2 percent from 2005 — the largest number since 1998 when the survey of this category began. With or without suicide notes, police attributed school-related problems to 242 suicides, nine more than in 2005. For many children, school has become a hard place in which to survive."

I thought the numbers were higher, but what do I know?
[url="http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ed20070615a2.html"]http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ed20070615a2.html[/url]

[quote name='#22' post='766201' date='Apr 23 2009, 03:57 AM']"In their suicide notes, 91 mentioned problems at school, an increase of 28.2 percent from 2005 — the largest number since 1998 when the survey of this category began. With or without suicide notes, police attributed school-related problems to 242 suicides, nine more than in 2005. For many children, school has become a hard place in which to survive."

I thought the numbers were higher, but what do I know?
[url="http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ed20070615a2.html"]http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ed20070615a2.html[/url][/quote]

Nice. Try to throw it back at me. Won't work. Anyone that takes their life is 3 sheets to the wind to begin with and probably deserves to get rid of themselves anyway. What reason would you expect a teenager to give? All they have is school. If I were you I'd check into the teen suicide rate in America, and other countries as well, and see what the overall excuse they give is. You posted this up like only high school kids in Japan commit suicide.

So what is the alternative? Should the schools just be places for the kids to come to, hang out with their friends, text with friends from other schools, etc...? You people bitch about the school systems in America, well, it's your own fault. You took the power away from the teachers and put it into the hands of the students. What do you expect to happen? I've got 1st grade jr. high kids here that will run circles around American seniors in just about every subject. Not to mention that the kids are well mannered and respectful of their teachers/adults.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766338' date='Apr 22 2009, 06:51 PM']Nice. Try to throw it back at me. Won't work. Anyone that takes their life is 3 sheets to the wind to begin with and probably deserves to get rid of themselves anyway. What reason would you expect a teenager to give? All they have is school. If I were you I'd check into the teen suicide rate in America, and other countries as well, and see what the overall excuse they give is. You posted this up like only high school kids in Japan commit suicide.

So what is the alternative? Should the schools just be places for the kids to come to, hang out with their friends, text with friends from other schools, etc...? You people bitch about the school systems in America, well, it's your own fault. You took the power away from the teachers and put it into the hands of the students. What do you expect to happen? I've got 1st grade jr. high kids here that will run circles around American seniors in just about every subject. Not to mention that the kids are well mannered and respectful of their teachers/adults.
MULLY[/quote]
To be fair, Japanese suicide rates are pretty high compared to the USA's. Not that it matters much WRT this particular discussion re: school behavior.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='766343' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:55 PM']i had online sex with you ol lady :rolleyes: while you were at work sharmoot :wave:[/quote]
Do pocket pussies come with a USB adaptor these days?

I HATE TECHNOLOGY!

:lol:

[quote name='Bunghole' post='766342' date='Apr 23 2009, 09:55 AM']To be fair, Japanese suicide rates are pretty high compared to the USA's. Not that it matters much WRT this particular discussion re: school behavior.[/quote]

Sure they are. But there are some really weird fucking people in this country too. I'll agree that schools put a lot of pressure on the kids. Hell, I work in one, I see it first hand, but not being allowed to have a cell phone in class isn't one of the reasons for that high suicide rate.
MULLY

[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='766347' date='Apr 22 2009, 07:09 PM']Sure they are. But there are some really weird fucking people in this country too. I'll agree that schools put a lot of pressure on the kids. Hell, I work in one, I see it first hand, but not being allowed to have a cell phone in class isn't one of the reasons for that high suicide rate.
MULLY[/quote]
Oh, I totally agree. I think (in my uneducated opinion) that the high suicide rate in Japan is largely a cultural leftover from a mostly bygone era, and has everything to do with "respect" and "doing the honorable thing" in the face of shame. For a people that can come off as stoic, they sure do take that "not losing/saving face" thing pretty seriously.

Tell me if I'm off base here. You would know better than I.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='766361' date='Apr 23 2009, 10:54 AM']Oh, I totally agree. I think (in my uneducated opinion) that the high suicide rate in Japan is largely a cultural leftover from a mostly bygone era, and has everything to do with "respect" and "doing the honorable thing" in the face of shame. For a people that can come off as stoic, they sure do take that "not losing/saving face" thing pretty seriously.

Tell me if I'm off base here. You would know better than I.[/quote]

Well, I think the suicide thing has a lot to do with a lot of things. School pressure? Sure. Kids are expected to do their best. There is no room for slacking in this country. Your life is set by the college you get into and there is a lot of pressure on the kids to excel. Personally, I think it's a little too much, but on the other hand I'd rather my kid go into a system that educates you than a system that just lets you walk on through.

As for saving face, damn straight, man. These people are hard core with that shit. But again, it reflects in society.

You know, when I walk into class, this is what happens. (bell rings) students stand up at their desks and wait quietly for me to settle in. At that time one student will say "Good morning, Jim." and then the rest of the class will repeat that. I give them the good morning and ask "How are you guys today?" and they'll all answer in some way like I'm fine, tired, hungry whatever. Then I tell them to have a seat and we get going with our class. At the end of the class the bell rings and all the students stand up again, one student says "Thank you, Jim. See you next week." and then the class repeats it and I say "see ya next week" and out the door I go. Can you imagine the outrage that would occur in the US if a teacher made his class stand up and greet him when he comes in? American schools are shit. And there's only one real place to lay the blame on that and that's with the parents that have taken all the power away from the teachers.
MULLY

Archived