My First Bengals Game

Last game in the 78 season, we had a bad year 3-12 at the time and my uncle, a big cleveland fan, took me so that I could see a good team, the Browns play. If I'm right, we beat their asses, something like 50-14. My uncle was so pissed we weren't allowed to talk in the car going back to Dayton. BOY IT WAS THE BEST TIME EVER!! :D :D

My first game dates WAAAAAAY back to.....2003.

My dad wasnt much for spending large amounts on sports and things, and frankly by the time i was old enough to know the bengals were bad enough for him to not much care to take me down there. then i hit teenage years, and i didnt know any of my friends liked football.

from age 16-22, i had NO IDEA creenasty liked the bengals or football in general.. i was doing music stuff and out of town all the time. so i didnt much pay attention..

i was ending my music biz career after 2002, found my wife (not yet married then) and was "settling down" realizing my life just went from traveling the country and promoting musicians and releasing albums to going to regular job and sitting at home i peaked some interest back into sports, and football season was coming up, and the bengals had some buzz with marvin coming in.. so i told the wife i wanted to go.. figured id go down gameday and see what scalpers had.. i figured lower level i'd pay double face value..boy was i started when 35 minutes before kickoff i pulled up to the curb and guy offers me two sideline lower level seats for $100.. i said "I got $80" he said "ok" so $40 a pop we were in!

parked and went in.. got sun burnt.. wife hated it... i fell in love with professional football... i sat in the sideline endzone area southside visitors side..

right in front of me chad makes the diving catch for a TD.. we lost to the Broncos, but i was in shock.. it was the best thing I have ever seen, it was equivilant to a packed club for a concert, or a autograph signing line, it satisfied the "big show" need i had still...

i was in love with football..

a week or so later i called up creechnasty, and mentioned it.. and he said "wait, you like football?" and im like "yea.. YOU like football?"

and it then began.. we grabbed tickets to the KC game that year, beating the undefeated KC team, went to the game against the 49ers.. another great win.. traveled to pitt to watch the last second td by shoebel for the game wining drive..

it was an amazing year..

The Irony that chad is the reason i fell in love with bengals football is pretty tick, eh? that catch was great.. the place erupted..

after this season.. i will ahve been to 97 Bengals games....including every single regular season(home and away) and playoff game in 2005...

you can also see why im not all pissy and hating life like some.. i was out making cash doing drugs and whores during the dark ages and came back for the good times...

i remember the klingler and akili and blake days... but i was too young to care a WHOLE lot...

[quote name='ArmyBengal' date='21 August 2009 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1250906967' post='794056']
moved to Cincy '79 my soph year of high school. wasn't initially a fan. '82 went off to college and then in the Army.

first Cincy game I saw was in Dallas

[url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cin/1991.htm"]ProFootball Refernce site[/url]

[b]Cincinnati Bengals 23 at Dallas Cowboys 35[/b]
Sunday, October 13, 1991.

I was at Ft. Bliss, TX, my college buddy was stationed at Dyes AFB and we went to the game. Cincy jumped out to a lead and then back and forth.

My first and only home game.

[img]http://pixel.quantserve.com/pixel/p-e4m3Yko6bFYVc.gif?labels=Sports,Men[/img]
[b]Minnesota Vikings 24 at Cincinnati Bengals 27[/b]
Sunday, December 24, 1995

stationed in Germany, came home for holidays and caught the game with future wife. We were trailing the whole game and Pelfrey hit's a 51 yarder for the win. Oh and it was bitterly cold. My wife is from North Dakota and was used to it but that day even she was cold.
[/quote]

Minn vs Cincy on Christmas Eve. This remains as a memory in which I was served the best hot chocolate in my life. I remember to this day. We were up in the red section and bengals getting their ass kicked on a cold day. We stood in this line forever at a concession stand all the while it was a play by play destruction of our defense right before half. "Moon to Whoever 7 Yard" repeat then finally "the scoring play was Moon 6 yards for TD". Then to make matters worse we get to order and the lady has run out of hot chocolate. So i begged her to scrape the bottom of it and try to get a couple cups for me and my freezing brother.

Two cups pure fucking chocolate. Awesome. Then second half the bengals kicked ass and I swear to this day I saw Christmas Angels scoop up Pelfry's 51`yard game winning FG and carry it over the cross bar.

[quote]after this season.. i will ahve been to 97 Bengals games....including every single regular season(home and away) and playoff game in 2005...
[/quote]

That's pretty impressive if you just started going in 2003. 97 games?

I started going in 1990 (I'm a big nerd and about to prove it). I've been to 128 Regular Season and Play off games (Home and away) and my record is 61-67-1. I'd estimate I have 90% of all the ticket stubs.

Right now I've got 9 games this season. (Green Bay is the only planned road trip currently).

My first game was in 2004... the December 26th game against the New York Giants. My parents bought myself and my sister tickets for Xmas. I can remember them telling us they weren't sure if we wanted them because Carson gor hurt and Kitna was now playing lol. Anyway we went and they were great seats. They were in like section 114 a couple of rows from the field. Anyway, it had snowed the night before or whatever and the areas around the seats we covered. I remember Ratliff ran back his best return as a Bengal and Housh caught a key reception that kept the game going and then Chad with the TD. People where throwing up snow like they do in New England. It was freaking awesome. Still the best game I've been to.

[quote name='scharm' date='22 August 2009 - 08:34 AM' timestamp='1250944482' post='794104']
That's pretty impressive if you just started going in 2003. 97 games?

I started going in 1990 (I'm a big nerd and about to prove it). I've been to 128 Regular Season and Play off games (Home and away) and my record is 61-67-1. I'd estimate I have 90% of all the ticket stubs.

Right now I've got 9 games this season. (Green Bay is the only planned road trip currently).
[/quote]

nice.. give me 5-6 years and i might catch you. a few upcoming years look possible for hitting all 16 regular season games..

actually your a bit ahead of me.. 10-12 on mine are preseason, that was total games.. so ill be around 85 regular season games

i have all of my stubs currently, still in a ticket pouch i USED to wear to games, but its too full to risk losing now..

my sisters having her wedding on a sunday in october next year.. and i was dying sick for the KC game ending last year.. those will be the only two games i will have missed that were home games then of course the road ones..

i mean seriously..who gets married in football season?

praying for a bye week 10/10/2010...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='22 August 2009 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1250981720' post='794187']
nice.. give me 5-6 years and i might catch you. a few upcoming years look possible for hitting all 16 regular season games..

actually your a bit ahead of me.. 10-12 on mine are preseason, that was total games.. so ill be around 85 regular season games

i have all of my stubs currently, still in a ticket pouch i USED to wear to games, but its too full to risk losing now..

my sisters having her wedding on a sunday in october next year.. and i was dying sick for the KC game ending last year.. those will be the only two games i will have missed that were home games then of course the road ones..

i mean seriously..who gets married in football season?

praying for a bye week 10/10/2010...
[/quote]

I was at a local sports collectible store and they've done a cool thing with ticket stubs. Somehow they've enlarged screen printed some Reds tickets stubs onto canvas. Then had Johnny Bench and Pete Rose sign pending the ticket. Nicely framed. I'm thinking about trying that with the ticket stub from my first game.

Yeah getting married in football season is weird. Oddly enough the first game of being a season ticket holder (preseason game) I gave them up and went to a wedding and that's the night my future wife and I got back together. Just strange how it works out, I wait my entire life to have season tickets and the first game give it up and that rolls into a future marriage and 4 kids. Everytime I look at those 9 tickets and game 1 is missing I wonder what would have happened if I went.

Would have been the Bengals vs the Aints in the late 70s. I remember it being a nice day and the Aints won a very poorly played game. I remember thinking Riverfront was such a great place compared to Tulane Stadium. It was the year the Aints almost had a winning season so that was like making it to the Superbowl for Nawlins fans. It was a mirage of course. 1980 was just around the corner (1-15).

I do remember Pete Johnson having a good game and do remember Archie G playing as many were wondering if this was finally the year he broke out. I think Kenny Anderson was out for some reason.

This year will mark my 30th as a season ticket holder. I bought my portion in early '79...and was then promptly transferred to California. Kept my seat anyway...and even though I only saw two games in '81/'82...one was the AFC Championship Game, and the other SB XVI.

Returned to Ohio in 1983...and didn't miss a home game again until sometime in the late '90's. Around the beginning part of the 1988 season...there was this loud Amish guy behind me in Section 326..all the time screaming at kickers to "get the ball UPPPP UPPPP" and his good friend talking about his airdale coaching better than the ones on the sideline (well that was later actually, but I'm telling a story!). The Amish guy and I became best of friends..and still are.

Oh yeah..but the FIRST game? That would have been the very first Bengal game ever--Preseason 1968 versus Len Dawson and the Chiefs. I had just moved here from the east coast, and my uncle took me to it. Only remember a few plays--but I became a Bengal fan that day.

Archived