Green Bay is going to be a hard game

[quote name='ColorChanginClique' date='13 September 2009 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1252894795' post='802316']
Still 100X better than Denver's defense in all honesty despite that

And that's not even an exaggeration really
[/quote]

[quote]Originally Published: September 11, 2009
Losing Polamalu is big blow for Steelers
Clayton By John Clayton
ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Thursday night proved the Tennessee Titans and Pittsburgh Steelers are clearly among the AFC's elite. In fact, don't be surprised if they meet each other again in the playoffs.

Here are five other things I learned in the Steelers' 13-10 win Thursday night:

1. Life without Polamalu will be tough: The Steelers' defense won't be as good without safety Troy Polamalu.

"When he's not out there, you can tell it's not the same," Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said.

Pittsburgh lost Polamalu in the second quarter to a left medial collateral knee sprain that is expected to sideline him three to six weeks. In the time he was in the game, Polamalu was excellent. He made a one-handed interception on a deep pass by Titans quarterback Kerry Collins. On the third play of the game, he charged from his safety position in the middle of the field and tackled Chris Johnson for a 2-yard loss at the Titans' 4. Once Polamalu was gone, Collins found holes in the defense, especially on a three-play, 71-yard touchdown drive in the waning moments of the first half.

The knee injury is Polamalu's third since 2006; he hurt his left MCL in 2006 and his right posterior cruciate ligament in 2007. Polamalu has the range of a cornerback and gives defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau the freedom to get creative. During the next six weeks, the Steelers will face quarterbacks Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers and Brett Favre. It won't be the same without Polamalu.

2: Big Ben is definitely elite: For those who don't consider Roethlisberger among the very best signal-callers in the league, Thursday night's game illustrated why he ranks with Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Favre. Roethlisberger is money in the clutch.

Roethlisberger executed three two-minute drives in regulation and ran a no-huddle, hurry-up offense to win in overtime. His numbers were incredible (33-for-43, 363 yards). Roethlisberger has racked up 18 come-from-behind fourth-quarter or overtime victories in the regular season since 2004. If he can win a third Super Bowl ring, he'll reach Hall of Fame turf.

3. Tennessee improved at wide receiver: The Titans are better at wide receiver than they've been in years. Tennessee added explosiveness when it signed former Steeler Nate Washington to a six-year, $26.6 million contract during the offseason, but his debut was limited to one catch for 8 yards and only a handful of plays because of a hamstring injury. The Titans believe Washington can upgrade at flanker much as halfback Chris Johnson did last year in upgrading the backfield.

The pleasant surprise Thursday night was first-round choice Kenny Britt, who caught four passes for 85 yards. Like Washington, Britt has great speed. He allowed Collins to throw deeper sideline passes and stretched the field for a 57-yard completion that set up a touchdown before the end of the first half. Tennessee's other wide receiver, Justin Gage, caught seven passes for 78 yards and a score. He is a good possession receiver.

For the first time in years, the Titans might have more pass-catching weapons at wide receiver than at tight end.

4. The Titans' defense is solid: Don't be misled into thinking the Titans will dominate on defense without Albert Haynesworth, but Thursday night's game showed they can be reasonably successful without him. Tennessee limited the Steelers to 36 yards rushing on 23 carries. The defensive line registered four sacks and was officially credited with eight quarterback hits, although there appeared to be many more.

Fisher runs a great scheme. The ends work well outside the tackles and funnel plays into the middle of the field. He rotates four defensive tackles. In most cases, the two tackles draw three blockers, leaving the ends one-on-one against offensive tackles.

The key to the defensive line is end Kyle Vanden Bosch, but tackle Jason Jones has star potential. This was the second time in less than a year that the Titans faced the Steelers without Haynesworth. The Titans stuffed the run last season and did the same Thursday night.

5. Running game woes: The Steelers' running game is either a lost cause or a cause for concern because it isn't very good.

Willie Parker rushed for 19 yards on 13 carries. Rashard Mendenhall had 6 yards on four carries. Overall, the Steelers averaged 1.6 yards per attempt. The Steelers, who failed on two third-and-1 opportunities in the second half, are terrible in short-yardage running situations. Pittsburgh doesn't have a proven fullback, so it doesn't even try to set up power running. To kick-start the offense, the Steelers use screen passes like a running play, a strategy that Eagles coach Andy Reid employs. You just don't get the feeling that this Steelers team will get serious about running the football. [/quote]
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4464378

[quote name='GoBengals' date='14 September 2009 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1252899255' post='802349']
really? worked like 5 times against the GIANTS defense last year with chatman..

unless they drew it up for both receivers not to block their guy at all this time...

but that doent make a ton of sense..

id like to see more B Scott, but i doubt we do until we have a lead in the second half.. let Benson wear that ass out then play keep away with Scott.
[/quote]

the concept of the play in general is a good one, but it was very predictable. As soon as Scott lined up wide and just stood there like he knew he was getting the ball, it was obvious he was getting it.

I think we're going to pressure Rodgers, especially off the edge. What scares me is when they get into 3+ receiver sets due to our depth at CB. If we can neutralize Grant, we can at least keep it close. And I agree with whoever mentioned that Carson's blitz reads were solid for the most part yesterday, and we could make ground against GB's aggressive rush if the offense can stay composed and the WR's (11) can actually hang onto the ball.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='14 September 2009 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1252936792' post='802471']
I think we're going to pressure Rodgers, especially off the edge. What scares me is when they get into 3+ receiver sets due to our depth at CB. If we can neutralize Grant, we can at least keep it close. And I agree with whoever mentioned that Carson's blitz reads were solid for the most part yesterday, and we could make ground against GB's aggressive rush if the offense can stay composed and the WR's (11) can actually hang onto the ball.
[/quote]

Agree. GBs OLine has been retooled much like ours. Rodgers was sacked 4 times and felt pressure most of the game. Now I'm not comparing our defense to Chicago's but we can at least make him feel the pressure and hurry some throws.

Yesterdays game had all the trappings and feel to a 5th preseason game even down to the Stokely TD. The question is when will this team realize these ones actually count? I'm not sure they win next week but I do feel the O will play much better and put some points up.

Coles can't drop that many balls again, it just won't happen. He is a very consistent WR and will be a solid asset to us.

B Scott getting very limited touches was a bit troubling. He needs to be more involved and the screen pass to him was obvious and was treated as such.

The illegal man downfield penalties were frustrating esp when it had no bearing on the play. They were big plays too.

Just a tough way to lose a game. We didn't do much but probably enough to win that game. You'll rarely see tipped balls be completed much less go for TDs.

[quote name='BengalsNYC' date='14 September 2009 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1252938370' post='802493']
Agree. GBs OLine has been retooled much like ours. Rodgers was sacked 4 times and felt pressure most of the game. [b]Now I'm not comparing our defense to Chicago'[/b]s but we can at least make him feel the pressure and hurry some throws.

Yesterdays game had all the trappings and feel to a 5th preseason game even down to the Stokely TD. The question is when will this team realize these ones actually count? I'm not sure they win next week but I do feel the O will play much better and put some points up.

Coles can't drop that many balls again, it just won't happen. He is a very consistent WR and will be a solid asset to us.

B Scott getting very limited touches was a bit troubling. He needs to be more involved and the screen pass to him was obvious and was treated as such.

The illegal man downfield penalties were frustrating esp when it had no bearing on the play. They were big plays too.

Just a tough way to lose a game. We didn't do much but probably enough to win that game. You'll rarely see tipped balls be completed much less go for TDs.
[/quote]
Good assessment, although I believe our defense is as good as Chicago's. The line is a little better, the linebackers are close, and our secondary is better than theirs. The Bears are still living off of their 2006 reputation. They're old and slow.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='14 September 2009 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1252940210' post='802516']
Good assessment, although I believe our defense is as good as Chicago's. The line is a little better, the linebackers are close, and our secondary is better than theirs. The Bears are still living off of their 2006 reputation. They're old and slow.
[/quote]
27-13 bengals.
Geathers will have a field day vs their RT.

[quote name='Quaker' date='14 September 2009 - 05:14 AM' timestamp='1252919641' post='802398']
Yes, GB will be a very tough team to play, especially when we play at their place.

I do like the Bengals a little more on the road than I do at home.

However, still a very real chance this team could start 0-3, sweet. :33:
[/quote]

That's nothing. Last year we were, what, 0-8 at one point?

:ninja:

[quote name='GoBengals' date='14 September 2009 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1252899255' post='802349']
really? worked like 5 times against the GIANTS defense last year with chatman..

unless they drew it up for both receivers not to block their guy at all this time...

but that doent make a ton of sense..

id like to see more B Scott, but i doubt we do until we have a lead in the second half.. let Benson wear that ass out then play keep away with Scott.
[/quote]

Good God you and Brat are on the same page. He keeps his plays on 3x5 flash cards in a recipe box and on the back he writes where they worked. I am sure he pulled out that play and saw that it had worked a couple times in 2008 and thought for sure he had himself a winner. I would have loved to seen the look on his face when that play didn't work and the card lied to him. He doesn't care about defense alignment as long as the card says it worked before.

Archived