5 Reasons the Bengals can win Sunday!

In the first game against the Steelers, the Bengals really didn't show up until late in the second half, and they still won.

Mendenhall hasn't started in a game of this importance yet, and he has been prone to turnovers.

Ike Taylor isn't the same player he was 4 or 5 years ago. If the Steelers don't get a good pass rush going early, he will struggle.

The Steelers are in a short week, coming off an impressive win over Denver(ala Baltimore last week) and there could be a letdown.

The Bengals have generally played well in Pittsburgh under Marvin Lewis!

The big difference facing Pittsburgh this time around is that Polamalu will be in the lineup. I don't think anyone would debate that the Steelers are much better with him than without him. I still think the Bengals can win the game if they can limit mistakes (big plays, penalties, TURNOVERS, dropped passes) and protect Palmer.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='13 November 2009 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1258085034' post='826545']
The big difference facing Pittsburgh this time around is that Polamalu will be in the lineup. I don't think anyone would debate that the Steelers are much better with him than without him. I still think the Bengals can win the game if they can limit mistakes (big plays, penalties, TURNOVERS, dropped passes) and protect Palmer.
[/quote]

they certainly are, but we never got the pass game really going anyway, would have been nice to ahve faced him once, so we knew what to be looking for more fresh in our minds, but im sure film of his last few games is sufficient. we know what NOT to do around him, and palmer, of everyone, is very aware of troys skillset playing with him at USC and obviously facing him the last few years..

should be an interesting game.

I think the "showing Up" or "not showing up" in certain quarters is bogus. Against a team like Pitt, you are going to look like crap at points in the game.

The key factor and the absolutely huge factor is the attitude to fight back in that situation and to keep it going forward.

I think the biggest factor in bengals victory is:

1. Benson - Don't think he needs a 100 (would be nice), but needs to be in the 80s. A decent running attack has always nuetralized Lebeau's zone blitz.
2. Carson has to avoid Troy and also TOs that set up easy scores
3. Of course, got to get Ben to the ground
4. Ultimately there is going to be times when it seems the world is coming down on them. The Steelers are going to make their plays. In the 3 Marvin Lewis victories at Pitt, Special teams helped regain the momentum.

I recall big KO returns by Michael Bennett and Tab Perry. Fumble recovery on a punt. We will need a big special teams play in the 3rd or 4th quarter to jump start the victory dance.

I watched the first game and came away with...

Penalties are huge
Turnovers Can't happen
Running the ball didn't look bad - Ced was in the 80's
dropped passes because of bad pass defense on our part - improved as the game went on - but needs to happen early
Special Teams - can't allow big returns
Missed tackles on the Defense - dancing around big ben

yeah we won - which i love in the first game
but we have improved all the above area's and am looking for a victory on Sunday

[quote name='mhfinks' date='13 November 2009 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1258130733' post='826663']
yeah we won - which i love in the first game
but we have improved all the above area's and am looking for a victory on Sunday
[/quote]

That touches on something I've been thinking about, but have had a hard time formalizing. There's a part of me that feels fairly convinced that the Steelers feel like they were definitely the better team, and that all they have to do is play us again to get the right outcome. They are a fine team, and improved over when we last played them. However, so are we... I think the Bengals come into this game knowing down deep they need to play better to win this game. I'm not sure the Steelers realize they need to bring a much better game too. Maybe they do, but the "experts" sure don't seem to realize this.

Archived