Dragon Age: Origins

I got this for Christmas and have been played it quite a bit over the long weekend. I'm interested in what anyone else thinks of the game. Here are a couple of my observations after playing it for four days:

- the learing curve seems a little steep to me but I've only bought one new game in the last two years (me and the kids were addicted to WoW for the longest time.)
- as a player, you seem to do a lot more watching cinematics than actually playing the game.
- it really doesn't seem all that much fun.

As a point of reference, I started out as a human warrior but the started over as a dwarf rogue. Currently I'm in the dream world, (the Fade?), getting my different forms, ultimately to get the circle mages(?) aligned with me to fight the bad guys.

Got it. Playing it. Don't love it as much as I'd hoped...

I agree- way too many cinematics for my taste. It's nice to have an enhanced story line, but dayum.

What are you playing this on? I picked up the PS3 version, and am wishing I'd picked it up for PC. The KB would be much easier for accessing inventory, etc.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='30 December 2009 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1262230560' post='849818']
Got it. Playing it. Don't love it as much as I'd hoped...

I agree- way too many cinematics for my taste. It's nice to have an enhanced story line, but dayum.

What are you playing this on? I picked up the PS3 version, and am wishing I'd picked it up for PC. The KB would be much easier for accessing inventory, etc.
[/quote]
I'm playing on the PC. The tactics menu feature is really cool but I can't seem to make it work right. I meant to add that earlier.

How far have you gotten? I'm at the very end of the 'get the mages to join your cause' mage tower thing. I was about to win that battle last night and the game crapped out on me so I went to bed.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' date='31 December 2009 - 12:30 PM' timestamp='1262277011' post='849993']
Finished it, and yes it seemed like more movie then game but it get's better.
[/quote]
Thanks for the heads-up. What character did you finish the game as? Who are the best NPC's to add to your party? Wynne is great for healing but Alistair and Sten don't impress me all that much.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' date='31 December 2009 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1262282000' post='850054']
Thanks for the heads-up. What character did you finish the game as? Who are the best NPC's to add to your party? Wynne is great for healing but Alistair and Sten don't impress me all that much.
[/quote]

Rouge Elf, and played with Wynne, Morrigan, and either Leliana or Shale.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' date='01 January 2010 - 02:51 AM' timestamp='1262281871' post='850052']
I'm playing on the PC. The tactics menu feature is really cool but I can't seem to make it work right. I meant to add that earlier.

How far have you gotten? I'm at the very end of the 'get the mages to join your cause' mage tower thing. I was about to win that battle last night and the game crapped out on me so I went to bed.
[/quote]
I'm past that, but not by much. I'm searching for the urn at this point. Or something like that.

I haven't really gotten into the tactics menu. I'm going to have to, though. Things are starting to get difficult..

[quote name='VonBlade' date='11 January 2010 - 06:33 AM' timestamp='1263162803' post='855621']
PC ftw.

Well actually, topless Morrigan ftw. But yeah I just love how quickly the community mods the game.
[/quote]
Just picked up the PC version. I'm going to return the PS3 version and put the cash toward something else. Unless I come back to find out my wife has become addicted to the game while I'm away.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='03 January 2010 - 07:13 AM' timestamp='1262520795' post='850585']
I'm past that, but not by much. I'm searching for the urn at this point. Or something like that.

I haven't really gotten into the tactics menu. I'm going to have to, though. Things are starting to get difficult..
[/quote]
I wrapped up the urn portion of the game over the weekend. This part of the game was actually fun, the level of difficulty for the combat was just about right. It was the first time I could play for more than thirty or forty minutes and not get all pissed off at the game.

[quote name='Tigris' date='18 January 2010 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1263852726' post='858109']
Mass Effect 1 SUCKED

I only played a couple hours of it... I had to put it down. Seemed like the story line was cool, but the game, it just blew.

Now, a game I can't wait for is... BIOSHOCK 2!!!!
[/quote]
Yeah, I'm just now playing Bioshock the original for the first time. Steam had it for like $10.99 or something. Between Left For Dead 2 and that, I don't have much free time!

[quote name='Bunghole' date='18 January 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1263857908' post='858122']
Yeah, I'm just now playing Bioshock the original for the first time. Steam had it for like $10.99 or something. Between Left For Dead 2 and that, I don't have much free time!
[/quote]
What system are you on?

BioShock is probably one of the best games I've ever played. I really enjoyed it. The graphics, the story line, the gameplay... it was all to good. I doubt I purchase the next one, but I'll rent it for a week or two and beat it. Save some money.

Archived