Texas joining Big Ten?

JC

[quote]Big 10 Announces Texas Will Join in 2012

Published on February 23, 2010 by Mnofdichotomy in Football

The birth of the next super-conference.

Comments (1)|3 Liked It

Texas
Joins Big 10

After courting the idea of a twelfth team for several years, the Big 10 has agreed to welcome the Texas Longhorns into its ranks beginning in the 2013 season.

The move was a necessary one for the Big 10 conference; the huge money for a conference championship game finally became too much to ignore for the conference that had resisted this exact change for years.

The Big 10 is expected to split into to two divisions geographically ala the SEC set up; one division will likely be made up of Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Indiana, and Purdue, while the other will join Texas, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, and Northwestern.

The move vaults the Big 10 back to elite status in both football and basketball, and should wind up being a windfall to all of the schools involved.

Again, the title of the conference will remain “Big 10″, with tradition being cited as the reason.

A formal announcement is expected Thursday or Friday.[/quote]
http://sportales.com/football/big-10-announces-texas-will-join-in-2012/

I wonder what was wrong with the Big 12. That makes the Big Ten a little weird in geography. One team in the south and the rest up north.

holy shit if true. I read a few weeks ago that they were having casual talks, but I never thought it would happen.

I struggle to believe the validity of this though, considering NO ONE else is reporting it. Especially considering they are also reporting that Randy Moss has been traded to the Packers, who are stacked at WR.

I'm gonna go with Fake.

• 1 month later...
If the Big 10 raids the Big XII, Mizzou makes a lot more sense then Texas. At least IMO.

- There are natural geographic rivalries built in (Mizzou-Illinois is already one, Missou-Iowa would be one nearly immediately).
- Mizzou could be replaced in the Big XII much more easily than Texas. Hello Arkansas, TCU or Utah.
- Their academics are on a par with Big 10 standards. Texas, alas, is not.

And a few points lifted from ESPN:
- Missouri has elevated its profile in both football and men's basketball the last few years, competing for the Big 12 title in football two years ago and reaching the Elite Eight in hoops last year. There's little doubt that Missouri could be a first-division team in both sports in the Big Ten if it joined the league today.
- The school has upgraded its facilities, which are some of the best in the Big 12. It would have little trouble recruiting at the same level as most Big Ten programs. Heck, Missouri already recruits against Illinois and other Big Ten schools.
- Missouri would give the Big Ten a greater presence in the St. Louis market. Sure, it's not New York, but New York will always be a pro town, while St. Louis could become a true Big Ten city with fans of both Missouri and Illinois, two teams that happen to play there every year in football and basketball.

The Big 10 wants to expand to 12 to set up a football playoff. That'll likely start a series of dominos falling, because I expect the Pac 10 to immediately do the same. Big money, big money.

I believe a likely scenario is:

Missouri moves from the Big XII to the Big 10
Colorado moves from the Big XII to the Pac 10
Utah moves from the Mountain West to the Pac 10
The Big XII replaces them with Arkansas (SEC) and TCU (Mountain West)
The SEC replaces Arkansas with a team from the ACC (Georgia Tech?) or Big East (South Florida?)
If ACC loses a team to the SEC, THEY grab a Big East school (So Florida? West Va? Cincinnati? Rutgers?)

All of the big boys end up with 12 or more schools and the playoff they want. The big losers are the Mountain West (who will have to work with the WAC and maybe negotiate a merger) and the Big XII (who loses the big Denver market).

Last Comment: I believe that after the Big 10 goes to a dozen, their divisions will split NORTH-SOUTH, not EAST-WEST. Just for balance alone:

NORTH: Michigan - Michigan St - Northwestern - Wisconsin - Minnesota - Iowa
SOUTH: Ohio St - Penn St - Indiana - Purdue - Illinois - Expansion (MO or TX)

The 8-game conference schedule could be:
A: 5 games against your division opponent
B: 3 games on a rotating basis against the other division, though a few schools would keep a traditional rival as one of those three: (Penn St/Michigan St, Ohio St/Michigan, Illinois/Northwestern) Indiana, Purdue and (expansion) would be guaranteed a game against one of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa every year to help square things. The other two non-division games would be via a true rotation. You end up playing a home-and-home against all of the non-division teams every 5 years, so every red-shirt senior would get to see everybody else at least twice.

The only other geographic split (East/West) would make it very difficult for the Big Dozen to have a meaningful championship game with OSU, UM and PSU all in the same division.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='24 March 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1269475464' post='872828']
Last Comment: I believe that after the Big 10 goes to a dozen, their divisions will split NORTH-SOUTH, not EAST-WEST. Just for balance alone:

NORTH: Michigan - Michigan St - Northwestern - Wisconsin - Minnesota - Iowa
SOUTH: Ohio St - Penn St - Indiana - Purdue - Illinois - Expansion (MO or TX)

The 8-game conference schedule could be:
A: 5 games against your division opponent
B: 3 games on a rotating basis against the other division, though a few schools would keep a traditional rival as one of those three: (Penn St/Michigan St, Ohio St/Michigan, Illinois/Northwestern) Indiana, Purdue and (expansion) would be guaranteed a game against one of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa every year to help square things. The other two non-division games would be via a true rotation. You end up playing a home-and-home against all of the non-division teams every 5 years, so every red-shirt senior would get to see everybody else at least twice.

The only other geographic split (East/West) would make it very difficult for the Big Dozen to have a meaningful championship game with OSU, UM and PSU all in the same division.
[/quote]

I think if they do add an extra team you would see Michigan and Ohio State in the same division. That way it guarantees they cant play back to back weeks. If they were in opposite divisions when both are solid (assuming michigan gets back to being solid again) they would often play back to back weeks then. If you put them in the same division they cant play in the championship meaning they could only play once a year no matter what, the way it should be. It also somewhat keeps the big importance of that game because on years where both teams are good the winner will often go to the Big 10 championship game.

Pretty much no way in my opinion they end up in opposite divisions.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='24 March 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1269477813' post='872839']
I think if they do add an extra team you would see Michigan and Ohio State in the same division. That way it guarantees they cant play back to back weeks. If they were in opposite divisions when both are solid (assuming michigan gets back to being solid again) they would often play back to back weeks then. If you put them in the same division they cant play in the championship meaning they could only play once a year no matter what, the way it should be. It also somewhat keeps the big importance of that game because on years where both teams are good the winner will often go to the Big 10 championship game.

Pretty much no way in my opinion they end up in opposite divisions.
[/quote]Good points, but there are also the designated Big Ten "rivalries" to take into consideration. Here they are:

Illinois: Indiana, Northwestern
Indiana: Illinois, Purdue
Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin
Michigan: Michigan State, Ohio State
Michigan State: Michigan, Penn State
Minnesota: Iowa, Wisconsin
Northwestern: Illinois, Purdue
Ohio State: Michigan, Penn State
Penn State: Michigan State, Ohio State
Purdue: Indiana, Northwestern
Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota

Pairing Michigan and OSU means Penn State *has* to go to the opposite division. If not, then the three-headed monster is stuck in the same division. Thus either OSU moves and bumps someone to the South, probably Northwestern since I don't see any point in breaking up the WI-MN-IA block *and* it puts them back into Illinois' division. If OSU does not move, Michigan and Penn State trade. Okay, so maybe it looks like this:

Option 1 - OSU Moves North

NORTH: Ohio St - Michigan - Michigan St - Wisconsin - Minnesota - Iowa
SOUTH: Penn St - Indiana - Purdue - Illinois - Northwestern - Expansion (MO or TX)

To keep the traditional rivalries, you have to have the following 'designated' pairs:
Ohio St - Penn St
Michigan St - Penn St

Penn St can't have TWO designated opponents, so this option fails.

Option 2 - Michigan and Penn State trade

NORTH: Penn St - Michigan St - Northwestern - Wisconsin - Minnesota - Iowa
SOUTH: Ohio St - Michigan - Indiana - Purdue - Illinois - Expansion (MO or TX)

The designated pairs then need to be:
Ohio St - Penn St
Illinois - Northwestern
Purdue - Northwestern

Northwestern is a problem. However, they were a problem in the original alignment too, since they would lose one of their geographic rivals regardless. It comes down to whether Penn St or Northwestern is a stronger football school deserving of keeping their rivalries intact - I would vote Penn St. So Option 2 beats Option 1.

So if OSU-Michigan needed to be paired in the same division, I believe the best alignment is Option 2 above.

Archived