Who are the Bengals targeting?

[quote name='Jom112' date='12 March 2010 - 08:18 AM' timestamp='1268403493' post='869950']
Rodger Saffold, OT, Indiana
[/quote]

I read where Paul Alexander (Bengal OL coach) worked him out on the campus.

At the Combine, Saffold tested out really well, and reportedly, he was the star of the EW Shrine Game week. He's played a lot, in a Big Ten program (starter since freshman, like Whit was). That counts heavily, IMO.

Very bright kid, too, so I'm guessing he could play either tackle position, or possibly inside as well. At the Combine, he seemed to be well put together (read: not like Andre Smith), and he moved really well for a guy his size - which is why he could likely play inside and pull if required.

[quote name='alleycat' date='12 March 2010 - 03:43 PM' timestamp='1268430202' post='870075']
West Texas A&M adapts to weather for pro day
Posted: March 12th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: 2010 Pro Days, Eugene Sims, J'Marcus Webb, Keithon Flemming, Mike Solari, Mike Zimmer, West Texas A&M

Inclement weather? No indoor facility? No problem for West Texas A&M.

The school had to hold its pro day about 40 miles from its Canyon campus on Thursday, moving it 40 miles to Amarillo to use an indoor arena. There were 14 teams on hand, including 49ers offensive line coach Mike Solari and[b] Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimme[/b]r.

Here are the notable prospects:

OT J’Marcus Webb (6-7 3/8, 328 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 5.31 and 5.29 seconds, had a 25 ½-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 5-inch broad jump, 4.14-second short shuttle, 7.63-second three-cone drill and did 17 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds.

[b]DE Eugene Sims (6-4 5/8, 247) ran 4.76 and 4.74 in the 40, had a 32 ½-inch vertical jump, a 9-6 broad jump, a 4.46 short shuttle, a 6.90 three-cone drill — which is an amazing time at his size — and 17 strength lifts.
[/b]
RB Keithon Flemming (5-10 1/8, 208) ran 4.65 and 4.68 in the 40, had a 33 ½-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot broad jump, a 4.54 short shuttle, a 7.21 three-cone drill and did 21 lifts.

WOW.
[/quote]

Sims might be the kind of guy that could be a rush LB for a 3-4 team with those kind of numbers. Small for a DE, unless he puts on weight. That's a great 3-cone time.

It's funny, West Texas A&M, for a relatively small school, pumps out some really good football players (Reggie McElroy was one, Duane Thomas back in the day, Kareem Larrimore, who played for the Cowboys for several years). Ryan Leaf used to coach the QBs there.

They play in a conference with teams like Abilene Christian (where Daniel Manning, Bernard Scott, and Johnny Knox went) and Texas A&M-Kingsville (Al Harris, Darrell Green, and others). They'll sometimes get transfers from bigger schools who either are looking for more playing time, or get into trouble... or they just don't qualify for D-1, academically or otherwise, and end up at a smaller school. It's a pretty good conference, for smaller schools.

[quote name='texbengal' date='13 March 2010 - 05:06 AM' timestamp='1268474772' post='870170']
Thanks for doing this, posting this info. Since Hayes used to coach TEs at Oklahoma, I'm sure he'll get the inside scoop on Gresham. While his times weren't spectacular, from the clips I saw, he looked to be in shape, and he's a big guy who moved well. Sounds like his knee checked out, too.
[/quote]

no problem, I do it as much for myself. It's great for doing mocks. From what I've noticed the last few years, usually about 3 of the names on the final list end up becoming Bengals whether they are drafted or UDFA's.

IMO, 40 times are very overrated for tight ends. Granted I'm no coach, but I care more about size, strength and route running. If he can make his cuts and outmuscle defenders for the ball, sign him up.

TCU

[quote]Count Bengals defensive coordinator and Cowboys friend Mike Zimmer among those intently studying Washington. He had him engaging in particular drills, and seemed to leave impressed.[/quote]

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03/13/2037165/nfl-scouts-fall-for-daryl-washington.html

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 March 2010 - 09:01 AM' timestamp='1268492482' post='870199']
I've gone through and italicized the guys our coaches have personally worked out at their pro days. Might be useful, as I remember Coach Fitzgerald personally putting Maualuga through the ringer at the USC pro day last year.
[/quote]

Good job maintaining the list.

You forgot to add Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana (PA) to the first post though...

[quote name='Jom112' date='13 March 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1268504133' post='870231']
Good job maintaining the list.

You forgot to add Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, CB, Indiana (PA) to the first post though...
[/quote]

yea I was trying to track down if they had gone to his pro day, interviewed him at the combine, etc. All I've seen is that they have their eye on him.

Saw this from Gil Brandt:

==========

PRO DAYS
Wall suffers hamstring injury at Texas Tech Pro Day
Posted: March 13th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: 2010 Pro Days, Brandon Carter, Brandon Sharp, Jamar Wall, Marlon Winn, Texas Tech

It happens over and over again. A player toes up to the line at the 40-yard dash, sets his hand down, explodes out of his stance and then pulls up lame after a few steps with a hamstring injury.

Unfortunately, that happened again at Texas Tech’s pro day on Friday. CB Jamar Wall tweaked his hamstring and did not finish the 40-yard dash. He did complete some drills, however.

He had a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 3-inch broad jump, a 4.43-second short shuttle and a 7.25-second three-cone drill.

[b]Wall was just one of 15 prospects that worked out indoors on AstroTurf for 20 team representatives, including Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.[/b]

Here are the the three other notable Red Raiders that worked out:

G Brandon Carter (6-foot-6 1/8, 319 pounds) ran a 5.24 and 5.25 in the 40, had a 4.75 short shuttle, a 7.09 three-cone drill and did 24 bench press repititions at 225 pounds. He kept his vertical and broad jump numbers from the combine.

OT Marlon Winn (6-4 5/8, 305) ran a 5.31 and 5.27 in the 40, had a 28 1/2-inch vertical jump, an 8-9 broad jump, a 5.18 short shuttle, a 7.97 three-cone and did 19 bench press reps.

DE Brandon Sharp (6-1 7/8, 254) ran a 4.71 and 4.73 in the 40, had a 35-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot broad jump, a 4.54 short shuttle, a 7.39 three-cone drill and did 23 bench press reps.

– Gil Brandt

[quote name='texbengal' date='13 March 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1268520214' post='870304']
Saw this from Gil Brandt:

==========

PRO DAYS
Wall suffers hamstring injury at Texas Tech Pro Day
Posted: March 13th, 2010 | Gil Brandt | Tags: 2010 Pro Days, Brandon Carter, Brandon Sharp, Jamar Wall, Marlon Winn, Texas Tech

It happens over and over again. A player toes up to the line at the 40-yard dash, sets his hand down, explodes out of his stance and then pulls up lame after a few steps with a hamstring injury.

Unfortunately, that happened again at Texas Tech’s pro day on Friday. CB Jamar Wall tweaked his hamstring and did not finish the 40-yard dash. He did complete some drills, however.

He had a 40 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 3-inch broad jump, a 4.43-second short shuttle and a 7.25-second three-cone drill.

[b]Wall was just one of 15 prospects that worked out indoors on AstroTurf for 20 team representatives, including Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.[/b]

Here are the the three other notable Red Raiders that worked out:

G Brandon Carter (6-foot-6 1/8, 319 pounds) ran a 5.24 and 5.25 in the 40, had a 4.75 short shuttle, a 7.09 three-cone drill and did 24 bench press repititions at 225 pounds. He kept his vertical and broad jump numbers from the combine.

OT Marlon Winn (6-4 5/8, 305) ran a 5.31 and 5.27 in the 40, had a 28 1/2-inch vertical jump, an 8-9 broad jump, a 5.18 short shuttle, a 7.97 three-cone and did 19 bench press reps.

DE Brandon Sharp (6-1 7/8, 254) ran a 4.71 and 4.73 in the 40, had a 35-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot broad jump, a 4.54 short shuttle, a 7.39 three-cone drill and did 23 bench press reps.

– Gil Brandt
[/quote]

Draft them all.

[quote]BYU tight end Dennis Pitta has strong Pro Day
Tight end Aaron Wilson

March 13, 2010, 07:22 PM EST

On the heels of a big-time showing at the NFL scouting combine where he ranked first at his position in the bench press, vertical leap, broad jump, three-cone drill, short shuttle and long shuttle, Brigham Young tight end Dennis Pitta had a strong Pro Day workout.

Pitta didn't perform any workout drills at his campus session, per NFL.com.

However, Gil Brandt noted that scouts were enthused about his work in position drills.

Per the report, the Seattle Seahawks, Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Baltimore Ravens and the St. Louis Rams sent scouts to the workout.

http://www.nationalf...ng-Pro-Day.html [/quote]

[quote]Despite all of the individual work, Clemson’s pro day actually lacked a whole lot of action. All 32 teams had representatives on hand, but the Tigers’ best prospects stood on most of their workout numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine. [/quote]

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/14/browns-show-plenty-of-interest-in-clemsons-pro-day/

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='13 March 2010 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1268506647' post='870241']
yea I was trying to track down if they had gone to his pro day, interviewed him at the combine, etc. All I've seen is that they have their eye on him.
[/quote]

Gotcha. I think he worked out at Ohio State's Pro Day. No way the Bengals don't send anyone to that Pro Day, so you could potentially put him there...

LSU

[quote]If quantity is what you are looking for, then LSU’s pro day was the place to be. While none of the Tigers’ prospects are projected to go in the first round, there were still 12 noteworthy players that could get drafted from the second round on out.

Given the large group of prospects, representatives from all 32 teams,[/quote]

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/15/three-step-out-from-the-crowd-at-lsus-pro-day/

Cal

[quote]Here is a look at how the seven top prospects worked out for representatives from all 32 teams, including linebacker, receiver and defensive back coaches:[/quote]

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/15/pair-of-cal-standouts-gut-it-out-at-their-pro-day/

chalk up QB #3.

[quote]Eastern Michigan

Ten teams including the Jacksonville Jaguars, Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants, Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Carolina Panthers, Green Bay Packers and Detroit Lions showed up for the Eastern Michigan pro-day, most to watch quarterback Andy Schmitt, who did not disappoint.

Schmitt, barely five months removed from the ACL surgery which ended his season in 2009, measured 6077/230lbs. He threw the ball well into a stiff wind, displaying good velocity on passes and enough accuracy to keep scouts interested. His deep throws were especially solid.[/quote]

Oregon State

[quote]Quarterback Sean Canfield, who showed off his mobility at the NFL Scouting combine, demonstrated his arm strength at Oregon State’s pro day on March 12. Canfield (6-foot-3 3/4, 224 pounds) stood on the results in each discipline from the combine, but impressed scouts with his throwing ability, including his accuracy on deep out routes.

Twenty NFL team representatives, including Bengals offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski, evaluated Canfield and 10 other former Oregon State players indoors on FieldTurf.[/quote]

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/16/qb-canfield-shows-off-arm-at-oregon-state-pro-day/

QB #5

[quote]Sheehan, who completed one of the finest quarterbacking seasons in school history in 2009, throwing for a school-record 4,051 yards and 27 touchdowns, [b]said he drew a lot of interest from the Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Steelers.[/b]

The Steelers have had several Mid-American Conference quarterbacks on their team the past five seasons with Ben Roethlisberger (Miami), Byron Leftwich (Marshall), Charlie Batch (Eastern Michigan) and Omar Jacobs (BGSU) all having had stints with the team.

But as a Cincinnati native, Sheehan was more excited about a chance to play for his hometown team.

"I'm a Cincinnati guy, so I have to like that a little bit," Sheehan said.

[b]The Bengals have scheduled an individual workout with him for April 13, and Sheehan said he should get more workout invitations.[/b][/quote]

http://bgnews.com/sports/former-falcon-football-players-flock-to-pro-day/

Brigham Young's Dennis Pitta was scheduled to work out today for the New England Patriots, according to an NFL source. The 6-foot-5, 245-pound tight end finished his collegiate career as the Cougars' all-time leader in receptions with 216 catches. He also has a visit scheduled with the Cincinnati Bengals on April 5-6.

http://sdg.scout.com/2/954514.html

[quote]With his status as a likely first-round pick, it's no surprise that Texas safety Earl Thomas is in high demand in the upcoming weeks. Scout.com has learned that one of his scheduled workouts later this month will be held in Austin in front of the New England Patriots. Meanwhile, [b]the Cincinnati Bengals[/b], Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars and Kansas City Chiefs are just a few of the teams that the 5-foot-10, 208-pound safety is scheduled to visit during the first two weeks of April. The play-making defensive back was a unanimous first-team All-Big 12 selection. He made 71 tackles, broke up 16 passes and picked-off a team-leading eight passes during his senior year.[/quote]

http://sdg.scout.com/2/954514.html

[quote]The University of Toledo's football pro day is this Tuesday. The Fetterman Training Center will be buzzing tomorrow morning with scouts from the Browns, Steelers, Lions, Panthers, Chiefs, Dolphins, Colts, Bengals, and Saints all expected to be in attendance.[/quote]

http://sdg.scout.com/2/954174.html

[quote]While most of the focus in Gainesville at Florida’s pro day was on quarterback Tim Tebow (6-3, 236), scouts from all 32 teams also saw a number of the QB’s teammates workout on grass in a slight drizzle:[/quote]

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/17/tebow-not-alone-at-florida-pro-day/

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='17 March 2010 - 08:27 PM' timestamp='1268875672' post='871308']
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/17/tebow-not-alone-at-florida-pro-day/
[/quote]

Brandon Spikes didn't run at the Combine, and then runs over 5 seconds at his Pro Day, where you typically see faster times than at the Combine (example - Joe Haden, CB, ran sub-4.45 after running in the high 4.5s in Indy). Not good at all.

Not that 40 time is everything, and he's an instinctive player, but with that kind of speed, he'll strictly be a 2-down LB... and only an MLB at that. He may slip to the second day... or even FA, potentially. It wasn't long ago that another FL LB, Earl Everett, was highly-touted going intp his senior year, and even before the draft... then, he wasn't drafted, the Bengals picked him up as an FA, and he was cut in TC.

Juice Williams was able to work out in front of pro scouts for the first time after he wasn’t invited to any showcase games or the combine.

“I had so many expectations coming out of the season, I had a great feeling that I would (get invited), but when I didn’t get the call I was a little upset,” he said. “Everything happens for a reason; there are other ways to make up for the lost opportunity.”

Williams said a Bengals scout, who ran a drill he participated in, was impressed. “After today, there should be no doubt that I can play the quarterback position,” Williams said.

[url="http://www.dailyillini.com/sports/football/2010/03/18/benn-shows-off-speed-at-illinois-pro-timing-day"]http://www.dailyillini.com/sports/football/2010/03/18/benn-shows-off-speed-at-illinois-pro-timing-day[/url]

Imposing University of Illinois wide receiver Arrelious Benn ran even faster than the 4.48 he clocked at the NFL scouting combine.

Benn ran the 40-yard dash in 4.36 and 4.39 seconds today during his Pro Day workout on the Illinois campus.

Benn has been scheduled for visits with the Cincinnati Bengals, Dallas Cowboys and the Pittsburgh Steelers, among other trips.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Arrelious-Benn-runs-a-436-at-Illinois-Pro-Day.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Arrelious-Benn-runs-a-436-at-Illinois-Pro-Day.html[/url]

Bowling Green wide receiver Freddie Barnes is looking to defy the doubters.

Barnes shattered NCAA records last season when he caught 155 passes for 1,770 yards and 19 touchdowns.

However, his 40-yard dash time in the 4.6 range has raised questions about his ability to gain separation from NFL cornerbacks.

“Freddie Barnes is a football player, not a track athlete,” Brad Cicala, Barnes’ agent, told National Football Post. “He’s a great football player who runs by people in games. He doesn’t play at 4.6. He doesn’t play at the same speed in a game. This kid can play football.”

Barnes has met with the Pittsburgh Steelers, also drawing interest from the Cincinnati Bengals, Indianapolis Colts, Washington Redskins and the Jacksonville Jaguars.

[url="http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Freddie-Barnes-looking-to-make-his-mark.html"]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Freddie-Barnes-looking-to-make-his-mark.html[/url]

Archived