Willie Anderson says Andre Smith will start training camp on PUP

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1280425002' post='900545']
i think we can pretty much assume willie could pick up the playbook in a limited amount of time. as to hoping those concerns at RT would magically just go away this year? gotta shake my head on that one, as i'm not expecting it. maybe with a healthy reggie kelly chipping, we can get by. still wouldn't mind seeing the big guy brought back in for a one year insurance policy. let him have a shot at getting that ring while helping to ensure the rest of the team has a shot at the same. he's probably the only guy out there that would fit in the small category of what we need here. it would take some fences being mended, but make for a wonderful ending to a great story.
[/quote]
When we already have a position stocked with guys that know the book inside and out and played a ton of snaps for a playoff team, why even bother bringing in Willie and hoping he can zone block after never having done it in his career?
I forgot, players in the NFL never get better from year to year. They are as good as they will ever be when they are rookies. :boese035:
If Willie would have been a professional about taking a pay cut instead of jumping ship and signing for less somewhere else - to chase a ring - maybe he'd still be here with a chance at chasing the ring with the Bengals this year. He made his bed, now he can sleep in it.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1280419963' post='900500']
Who said they do?

The point is, they made no move at all at that position.

So you think they totally ignored that position and focused soley on the skill positions
because they are stupid?
[/quote]

[b][b]They Resigned Bobby. Thats a move. [/b]

[b]They drafted Otis. Thats a move. [/b]

[b]They were really Hoping everything would be fine with Andre . . . Even no move is a move. [/b]

They addressed the line.

They were really good at running. Unbalanced line or whatever. Cedric being a bad ass!!! Either way . . .

They were not really all that good at the pass.

I know everyone remembers the infernal Holding Penalties and False Starts? In my mind these are results of middling ability.

Whitworth may have only given up a few sacks. BUT he got Holding penalties and false starts out the wazoo. PLUS. Carson was dinking and dunking with his happy feet to compensate for the heat.

Other than Chad not much in reciever play.

I know you know this is all true....[/b]

The Big question is the Line. Now with Andre Smith having Jelly donuts for bones. This is kinda sucky. They will do what they can . . .

I personally think Collins has the Goods to be a pretty nice left tackle . . .

But experience holds value as well like knowing how to hold, and get a jump step on the DE cause you got cement feet.

[quote]but he said it's not there yet and they don't want to rush it.[/quote]

I'm wondering how much this is a factor. As in, he could play if there was a game, but they aren't going to rush it and risk re-breaking it. Instead, let it get 100%. The fact that he's a first round pick and not a 5th round pick trying to earn a spot is probably part of it two.

More money the player makes, the more cautious you are with him.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1280425002' post='900545']
i think we can pretty much assume willie could pick up the playbook in a limited amount of time. as to hoping those concerns at RT would magically just go away this year? gotta shake my head on that one, as i'm not expecting it. maybe with a healthy reggie kelly chipping, we can get by. still wouldn't mind seeing the big guy brought back in for a one year insurance policy. let him have a shot at getting that ring while helping to ensure the rest of the team has a shot at the same. he's probably the only guy out there that would fit in the small category of what we need here. it would take some fences being mended, but make for a wonderful ending to a great story.
[/quote]

Fuck Willie... He gave us some excellent years of play.. But in the end he left over being asshurt over a more than reasonable pay cut and went to a division rival for the same amount of money, then proceeded to trash the team on the internetz.

It's not that I hate him, I just feel like he burned the bridge on his way out of town, and now he is even older than he was when he couldn't really pull the load anymore. Whatever desire I had to see him "retire a Bengal" went out the door with his actions leaving town, which TBH, is the only reason I could see to bring him back.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1280425753' post='900556']
OL would look something like this...

LT whitworth, collins
LG mathis, livings
C cook, luigs
RG bobbie williams, anderson
RT smith, anderson, roland

it could work.
[/quote]
Willie is sitting on the side lines right now for a reason. If anybody in the league thought he could still play he would be getting contract offers or at least some interest. As far as I can tell no team has the slightest bit of interest in his old busted ass. The only way Willie gets a deal this year is if a team's starter goes down in camp and the only replacement is a rookie or a guy with no NFL snaps.
Willie was one of my favorites when he was here but he's shown his true colors and the team owes him nothing.
Willie is asking for a "mentor" role for christ sake. If that's not sign enough that the guy knows he can't even be counted on to spot start then I don't know what is.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1280425716' post='900554']
Fuck Willie... He gave us some excellent years of play.. But in the end he left over being asshurt over a more than reasonable pay cut and went to a division rival for the same amount of money, then proceeded to trash the team on the internetz.

It's not that I hate him, I just feel like he burned the bridge on his way out of town, and now he is even older than he was when he couldn't really pull the load anymore. Whatever desire I had to see him "retire a Bengal" went out the door with his actions leaving town, which TBH, is the only reason I could see to bring him back.
[/quote]

that's an option...to take the hardheaded, bullheaded, kiss my ass, approach.

then another option would be let bygones be bygones, drop some pride, be professional and work through past differences in the hopes of everyone achieving the same goal.

IF that goal is more important than a chapped ass, that is.

obviously, there's two different ways of looking at it.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1280426212' post='900558']
that's an option...to take the hardheaded, bullheaded, kiss my ass, approach.

then another option would be let bygones be bygones, drop some pride, be professional and work through past differences in the hopes of everyone achieving the same goal.

IF that goal is more important than a chapped ass, that is.

obviously, there's two different ways of looking at it.
[/quote]

Like I said.. It's not about a "chapped ass". I don't think what he has to contribute would compensate for the roster spot. We would have to cut somebody to bring Willie in.

If he had left with more class, sentimentality would push me to call for bringing him back to "Retire a Bengal".. However, I don't have that sentiment anymore.

As you can see, the latter is the "emotional response". With the way Willie left, all I have is cold logic.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1280425716' post='900554']

[/quote]

hmm, sort of sounds like you are harboring some hate for the guy. yes, he's a year older, but as he says, he's had a year to heal up. bring him in for a tryout and see what's in the tank. alexander's eyes wouldn't lie to him. that is, if you can get beyond the hurt pride thing.

You really want Willie strolling out onto the field with his walker every possession? He is done. There's a reason no one is calling. Not even the Steelers who are SOL at right tackle.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1280426514' post='900560']
hmm, sort of sounds like you are harboring some hate for the guy. yes, he's a year older, but as he says, he's had a year to heal up. bring him in for a tryout and see what's in the tank. alexander's eyes wouldn't lie to him. that is, if you can get beyond the hurt pride thing.
[/quote]

It has absolutely nothing to do with hate.. Not at all. If I met him in a bar I would buy him a drink and talk about old times. It's about not having "love" for him enough to see him retire here.

Who would you cut to bring in Willie?

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1280426448' post='900559']
Like I said.. It's not about a "chapped ass". I don't think what he has to contribute would compensate for the roster spot. We would have to cut somebody to bring Willie in.

If he had left with more class, sentimentality would push me to call for bringing him back to "Retire a Bengal".. However, I don't have that sentiment anymore.

As you can see, the latter is the "emotional response". With the way Willie left, all I have is cold logic.
[/quote]

my point is that i'm trying to leave sentiment out of the equation. i'd hate to see a repeat of what we had on the right side last year. if we have to use an extra man over there, that negates everything we attempted to accomplish with the extra wide receivers. i can't see shitcanning that over a chapped ass.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1280426731' post='900562']
It has absolutely nothing to do with hate.. Not at all. If I met him in a bar I would buy him a drink and talk about old times. It's about not having "love" for him enough to see him retire here.

Who would you cut to bring in Willie?
[/quote]

i listed an OL depth chart. otis, who's a project and won't play anyway, goes to practice squad and we keep 10 OL.

LT whitworth, collins
LG mathis, livings
C cook, luigs
RG bobbie williams, anderson

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1280426828' post='900563']
my point is that i'm trying to leave sentiment out of the equation. i'd hate to see a repeat of what we had on the right side last year. if we have to use an extra man over there, that negates everything we attempted to accomplish with the extra wide receivers. i can't see shitcanning that over a chapped ass.
[/quote]

That is exactly my point.. Because of the way Willie left, there IS no emotion in my POV.. If he had left in a better way, I would be pulled to perhaps sacrifice some depth or fringe player just to see him retire and to give him a chance at a SB ring with the Bengals.

However, I don;t feel that way anymore.. The only reason to bring him back is because he would make the team better and I don't see that.

Again, who would you cut to bring him in?

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1280426828' post='900563']
[/quote]
The extra man had as much to do with not having a decent TE as it did with having a less than stellar starter at RT.
If Gresham starts hitting the seams for big gains teams will back off on the blitzes and Carson will have plenty of time to throw. Football is a tricky sport because the outcome of any given play depends on the actions of every man on the field, not just the one you see on TV at home.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1280426997' post='900565']
The only reason to bring him back is because he would make the team better and I don't see that.

[/quote]

which is why i brought the subject up. so then, you wouldn't be against paul alexander taking a look at him, then making a determination from there?

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1280427272' post='900568']
which is why i brought the subject up. so then, you wouldn't be against paul alexander taking a look at him, then making a determination from there?
[/quote]

Of course.

Now can tell me who you would cut to bring him in?

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='29 July 2010 - 02:12 PM' timestamp='1280427123' post='900566']
The extra man had as much to do with not having a decent TE as it did with having a less than stellar starter at RT.
If Gresham starts hitting the seams for big gains teams will back off on the blitzes and Carson will have plenty of time to throw. Football is a tricky sport because the outcome of any given play depends on the actions of every man on the field, not just the one you see on TV at home.
[/quote]

i see. thanks for the lesson.

oh, BTW, did you happen to see any breakdowns at the rt position last year in pass protection. i could use all the help i could get from ya. i'm still learning this stuff.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1280427342' post='900570']
Of course.

[/quote]

ok, i'll try for the third time, now.

LT whitworth, collins
LG mathis, livings
C cook, luigs
RG williams, anderson

otis, who's a project and won't see any time anyway, to the practice squad.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:15 PM' timestamp='1280427342' post='900570']
Of course.

[/quote]
Shoot..i forget his name. The guy that always leads the Bengals out onto the field. Well just let them both be co-rally guys. Except Willie might need one of those motorized scooters to lead them out.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1280427644' post='900574']

LT whitworth, collins
LG mathis, livings
C cook, luigs
RG williams, anderson

[/quote]

I don't think Otis makes the final roster with or without Willie, unless Luigs hip is worse than we know.

[quote name='JC' date='29 July 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1280427648' post='900575']
Shoot..i forget his name. The guy that always leads the Bengals out onto the field. Well just let them both be co-rally guys. Except Willie might need one of those motorized scooters to lead them out.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1280427785' post='900576']
I don't think Otis makes the final roster with or without Willie, unless Luigs hip is worse than we know.
[/quote]

we'll see. there's many things to work through before we take unit numbers into consideration, but with smith having a banged up wheel, i feel we'll need more than roland. collins gets manhandled at RT and i shudder to think of him there again. that project failed so horribly it was embarrassing. depending on how bad andre's deal is, we might need another body thereand an upgrade over roland wouldn't offend me... tho the guy is a roadgrader in the run game.

grass to cut, chat later.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1280427644' post='900574']

LT whitworth, collins
LG mathis, livings
C cook, luigs
RG williams, anderson

[/quote]

we don't typically keep 10 olinemen, though I wouldn't hate it.

Also, I don't know that you take a 35yr old player with an injury history and try and teach him to back up a new position that late in his career.

Archived