Willie Anderson says Andre Smith will start training camp on PUP

[quote name='The Scales' date='29 July 2010 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1280425528' post='900551']
[b][b]They Resigned Bobby. Thats a move. [/b]

[b]They drafted Otis. Thats a move. [/b]

[b]They were really Hoping everything would be fine with Andre . . . Even no move is a move. [/b]

They addressed the line. [/b]
[/quote]

They re-signed a Starter and drafted depth.

They made no moves to replace starters.

And no move is standing pat. Not moving.

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1280427449' post='900571']
i see. thanks for the lesson.

oh, BTW, did you happen to see any breakdowns at the rt position last year in pass protection. i could use all the help i could get from ya. i'm still learning this stuff.
[/quote]
Apparently you need to attend Marvin's Football 101 class with the ladies.
They probably have a question and answer portion where you could have Marvin explain that the reason the Bengals haven't upgraded over Roland is because there is nobody out there available that is better.
Do you really think that if somebody was sitting on the free agent market right now that was an upgrade over Roland, the Bengals wouldn't sign him? The just signed TO for cryin out loud.
I think it's obvious the team is looking for upgrades anywhere they can get them this offseason and if they didn't bite on any of the RT's out there already, they sure as hell ain't gonna give Willie a sniff.

[quote name='JC' date='29 July 2010 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1280427648' post='900575']
[b]Shoot..i forget his name. The guy that always leads the Bengals out onto the field.[/b] Well just let them both be co-rally guys. Except Willie might need one of those motorized scooters to lead them out.
[/quote]

His names is Jimmy Brown. But everyone calls him JB.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1280429400' post='900589']

They made no moves no replace starters.

[/quote]

Iupati was #3 on their draft board behind Gresham and Bryant.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1280429400' post='900589']

They made no moves to replace starters.

[/quote]

Are you saying coaches were counting on having the same starting RT's as last season?

I think you got what he was trying to say there. Why be obtuse?

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1280429619' post='900595']
Are you saying coaches were counting on having the same starting RT's as last season?

I think you got what he was trying to say there. Why be obtuse?
[/quote]

Obtuse? lol

Didn't Andre start a game last season?
And play in 6 games? Why yes, yes he did.

My whole point of saying they made no moves was to address the
fact that the Bengals think the main problem with the passing game
was the skill position players.

Would Andre Smith help? Well, he should. That is why they drafted him
with the #6 overall pick. But they brought in 3 FA WRs, drafted 2 more
and drafted a 1st round TE. They added depth to the O-line. with late
round picks. Which do you think the Organization thinks was the problem?

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1280429506' post='900593']
His names is Jimmy Brown. But everyone calls him JB.
[/quote]
Can't believe I forgot that. Thanks. Wanted to call him James. Anyways..what a good dude. Been loyal to this team through thick and thin and never bitches. Willie could actually learn something from him if he hopped on board. This might actually work out after all. Bet JB wouldn't give his tricks of getting the team out onto the field in such a professional manner if he was canned.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='29 July 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1280428487' post='900580']
we don't typically keep 10 olinemen, though I wouldn't hate it.

Also, I don't knou take a 35yr old player with an injury history and try and teach him to back up a new position that late in his career.
[/quote]

we have kept 10, tho. if andre has something significant, we'll have to account for it some way or another. i really don't think willie would have to stay up late at night learning the RG position, do you?

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' date='29 July 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1280429413' post='900591']
Apparently you need to attend Marvin's Football 101 class with the ladies.
They probably have a question and answer portion where you could have Marvin explain that the reason the Bengals haven't upgraded over Roland is because there is nobody out there available that is better.
Do you really think that if somebody was sitting on the free agent market right now that was an upgrade over Roland, the Bengals wouldn't sign him? The just signed TO for cryin out loud.
I think it's obvious the team is looking for upgrades anywhere they can get them this offseason and if they didn't bite on any of the RT's out there already, they sure as hell ain't gonna give Willie a sniff.
[/quote]

that's a helluva shot from someone named eva. you got a hair up your ass today?

[quote name='kdubdub' date='29 July 2010 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1280429269' post='900588']
Might as well bring him in for the comp. If most of the bengals fans can forgive 85 after the way he scorched the earth a few years ago then I think Willie will be ok.
[/quote]

Why is Terrell Owens running around with a bomb in your avatar?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='29 July 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1280431552' post='900613']
I am starting to get a sinking feeling that Andre Smith is never going to be right....
[/quote]

No! Don't say that.

He just needs to eat his vitamins, his fruits, his veg, and his greens along [i]with[/i] the Jelly donuts, 14 pizzas, and gallons of sugar cola.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1280430177' post='900597']
Obtuse? lol

Didn't Andre start a game last season?
And play in 6 games? Why yes, yes he did.

My whole point of saying they made no moves was to address the
fact that the Bengals think the main problem with the passing game
was the skill position players.

Would Andre Smith help? Well, he should. That is why they drafted him
with the #6 overall pick. But they brought in 3 FA WRs, drafted 2 more
and drafted a 1st round TE. They added depth to the O-line. with late
round picks. Which do you think the Organization thinks was the problem?
[/quote]

I think they believe it was multiple reasons. I know that Marvin and Bob have stated in interviews that we were strong in the running game and not so in pass protection (as far as OL goes).

But your statement that the line will be unchanged isn't exactly true either. I think the coaches were counting on upgrading the RT position from last year by inserting Smith as the starter.. I think they also believed that the Center position would perform better from experience and that they could hope for either Mathis/Livings to step up their game at LG.

Just because they expect the line to be better this year, and felt they had the talent in house to achieve that mark, does not mean they were happy with the overall performance last season.

I would rate the line last season as slightly above average in the running game and slightly below average in pass protection. I think the YPC average that Cedric produced was not indicative of both outstanding run blocking AND outstanding talent at RB.. One of those has to be off.. I am going with the blocking as something that we should hope improves.

I don't want to argue about it because I think overall we agree.. I just don't think if you told the coaches we would have a repeat performance by the oline from last season that they would feel great about that.

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:37 PM' timestamp='1280432275' post='900619']
I think they believe it was multiple reasons. I know that Marvin and Bob have stated in interviews that we were strong in the running game and not so in pass protection (as far as OL goes).

But your statement that the line will be unchanged isn't exactly true either. I think the coaches were counting on upgrading the RT position from last year by inserting Smith as the starter.. I think they also believed that the Center position would perform better from experience and that they could hope for either Mathis/Livings to step up their game at LG.

Just because they expect the line to be better this year, and felt they had the talent in house to achieve that mark, does not mean they were happy with the overall performance last season.
[/quote]

They said "early on" as far as not being strong in the pass protection.
Which should be understandable.

I would think they expected to upgrade the RT position last season by drafting Smith.

It is unchanged as far as personnel. Talk about being obtuse?

It was said that the O-line "sucked ass" last season.
I pointed out that that "suck ass" O-line is basically in tact.
And that the Bengals focused on restocking the skill positions.
So of course that means that they think the O-line should be better
with another year under their belts. And the skill positions needed
an overhaul. It's that simple.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 03:47 PM' timestamp='1280432838' post='900622']
They said "early on" as far as not being strong in the pass protection.
Which should be understandable.

[b]I would think they expected to upgrade the RT position last season by drafting Smith.

It is unchanged as far as personnel. Talk about being obtuse?[/b]

It was said that the O-line "sucked ass" last season.
I pointed out that that "suck ass" O-line is basically in tact.
And that the Bengals focused on restocking the skill positions.
So of course that means that they think the O-line should be better
with another year under their belts. And the skill positions needed
an overhaul. It's that simple.
[/quote]

WTH? Of course they expected to upgrade last season... That in reality, is not the way it happened. However you want to slice it, if Smith starts the season as our RT, then it WILL be a change over last season.

Spin it however you want, but if everything goes according to plan, we will have an upgraded RT position this year from last.

Are you really going to refuse to admit that?

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 02:50 PM' timestamp='1280433018' post='900624']
WTH? Of course they expected to upgrade last season... That in reality, is not the way it happened. However you want to slice it, if Smith starts the season as our RT, then it WILL be a change over last season.

Spin it however you want, but if everything goes according to plan, we will have an upgraded RT position this year from last.

Are you really going to refuse to admit that?
[/quote]

lol

Where in the fuck did I say it wouldn't change?

Follow along carefully before responding.

Someone in this thread blamed the passing game struggles on the shitty O-line.
I said they made no moves to address it. Even if they do get a player that is already
on the roster to start, 80% of that shitty O-line will remain intact.

Then I went on to say that I personally thought that the skill position players
were more of a reason that the passing game struggled. I pointed out how
they have re-stocked the shelves. I pointed out how the recievers led the NFL
in fumbles last season (while being near the bottom of completions) and
also had a bout 35-40 drops. Do you think if they wouldn't have had all of
those gaffs, that the passing game wouldn't have looked better? Me neither.
And apparently the Bengals feel the same way. They stood pat with what
they had on the roster as far as the O-line goes. And shuffled things up
as far as recievers go.

No slant. No spin. Just saying I think the majority of the problem was not
the "shitty" O-line. And the moves by the team seems to go hand in hand
with what I am saying.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1280433680' post='900627']
lol

Where in the fuck did I say it wouldn't change?
[b]
Follow along carefully before responding.[/b]

Someone in this thread blamed the passing game struggles on the shitty O-line.
I said they made no moves to address it. Even if they do get a player that is already
on the roster to start, 80% of that shitty O-line will remain intact.

Then I went on to say that I personally thought that the skill position players
were more of a reason that the passing game struggled. I pointed out how
they have re-stocked the shelves. I pointed out how the recievers led the NFL
in fumbles last season (while being near the bottom of completions) and
also had a bout 35-40 drops. Do you think if they wouldn't have had all of
those gaffs, that the passing game wouldn't have looked better? Me neither.
And apparently the Bengals feel the same way. They stood pat with what
they had on the roster as far as the O-line goes. And shuffled things up
as far as recievers go.

No slant. No spin. Just saying I think the majority of the problem was not
the "shitty" O-line. And the moves by the team seems to go hand in hand
with what I am saying.
[/quote]

WTF...

I will refrain from following suit and being snide.

You used the fact that the Bengals didn't sign anyone as proof that the line was not a problem last year... I pointed out that is not necessarily the case because they had an "upgrade" over last season already in house.

As far as I know the argument isn't "the OL guys on our [i]roster[/i] suck" as opposed to "our OL performance last year left something to be desired".

I put forth that inserting Andre at RT [i]IS[/i] an upgrade over our starter at RT from last season, and I believe the coaches expect better play from the C and LG positions through experience and skill advancement.

Is there really anything in what I just said that you take issue with?

[b][size="5"]Andre Smith in the doghouse?[/size][/b]
3:56PM ET
[b]Andre Smith | [color="#225db7"]Bengals[/color]
[/b]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin"][color="#225db7"]Cincinnati Bengals[/color][/url] offensive tackle [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12622"][color="#225db7"]Andre Smith[/color][/url] is [url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?date=20100724#5258"][color="#225db7"]battling for the starting right tackle job[/color][/url] this preseason, and he's not off to a very good start.Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer tweeted word from head coach Marvin Lewis on Thursday that [url="http://twitter.com/joereedy/status/19835715617"][color="#225db7"]it could be two to three weeks[/color][/url] before Smith gets on the field. Furthermore, Smith may be placed on the active/PUP list.

Is Lewis pleased with the development from his team's first pick from a year ago? Not exactly.

"Marvin Lewis not happy with rehab that jillionaire OT Andre Smith did in off-season," Sports Illustrated's Peter King tweeted. "Ought to be fully rehabbed from foot injury. [url="http://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/19850421425"][color="#225db7"]He's not[/color][/url]."

[url="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors"]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors[/url]

[quote name='Lucid' date='29 July 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1280434016' post='900631']
WTF...

I will refrain from following suit and being snide.

You used the fact that the Bengals didn't sign anyone as proof that the line was not a problem last year... I pointed out that is not necessarily the case because they had an "upgrade" over last season already in house.

As far as I know the argument isn't "the OL guys on our [i]roster[/i] suck" as opposed to "our OL performance last year left something to be dedired".

I put forth that inserting Andre at RT [i]IS[/i] an upgrade over our starter at RT from last season, and I believe the coaches expect better play from the C and LG positions through experience and skill advancement.

Is there really anything in what I just said that you take issue with?
[/quote]

Why stop being snide now?

How in the fuck does them having an upgrade on the roster equate to them being the problem
with the passing game struggles? And how does them expecting a unit that had little experience
together, and in some cases, NFL experience period equate to that? Seriously. How does that
even make sense? You are talking about the future. Them getting better. That should be a given.
I was talking about last season. And how they didn't make any moves that wasn't already on
last year's roster to the "shitty" O-line.

Do YOU get it now?

Or are you going to call me obtuse again? lol

[quote name='oldschooler' date='29 July 2010 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1280434373' post='900636']
Why stop being snide now?

How in the fuck does them having an upgrade on the roster equate to them being the problem
with the passing game struggles? And how does them expecting a unit that had little experience
together, and in some cases, NFL experience period equate to that? Seriously. How does that
even make sense? You are talking about the future. Them getting better. That should be a given.
I was talking about last season. And how they didn't make any moves that wasn't already on
last year's roster to the "shitty" O-line.

Do YOU get it now?

Or are you going to call me obtuse again? lol
[/quote]

I said "being obtuse" meaning it was intentional that you were ignoring the meaning of the post.. Not that you were stupid.. I can see you didn't get my meaning with that, and I apologize for any offense.

I don't understand why you are confused, and why you seem to be getting so upset...

It's simple... The line wasn't very good at pass protection last season... They also have a first round pick from last year that didn't get to take over RT as they had planned. I believe the coached didn't sign or draft any replacements because the expect Andre to take over RT (an upgrade over last season) and they expect Cook and Mathis/Livings to get better (= getting better at C and LG).

Like I said, I think we mostly agree.. The only difference is that I think the line play from last year wasn't that great (especially in pass pro) and I don't think lack of drafting/signing new starters is not an argument against that belief.

Can we keep the argument civil please?

[quote name='alleycat' date='29 July 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1280436386' post='900649']
LOL. As the one who started this whole thing, let me just tell you two that you completely agree with each other!
[/quote]

I know... Isn't it wierd?

[quote name='bengaled' date='29 July 2010 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1280431485' post='900609']
that's a helluva shot from someone named eva. you got a hair up your ass today?
[/quote]
Take shots at my screen name all you want, I knew when I picked it somebody would eventually.
No hair up my ass, although I can say I've ever actually gotten a mirror out and looked up there so I could be wrong.
My problem is your insistence that Willie is somehow an upgrade over a player that started, and yes rotated out, on a playoff team.
Find somebody better to pimp as a replacement and I might get on your side of the argument.

Archived