Reds trade Dickerson

Bengals1181

[quote]Reds pick up Edmonds for playoff push

Veteran outfielder expected to provide additional experience

By Bailey Stephens / MLB.com

08/09/10 1:27 PM ET

Adding a veteran bat to their stable for the stretch run, the Reds acquired veteran outfielder Jim Edmonds from the Brewers on Monday.

Cincinnati sent outfielder Chris Dickerson to the Brewers in return for the 40-year-old outfielder, who has shown that he still has a significant amount of pop in his bat.

Edmonds, who signed with the Brewers as a free agent last offseason, is hitting .286 with eight homers and 20 RBIs. The left-handed hitter, a four-time All-Star and eight-time Gold Glove winner during his prime, has appeared in 73 games this season. He would be expected to add a veteran presence to the Reds' clubhouse as they gear up for a postseason run.

Dickerson, 28, has been on a rehab assignment with Triple-A Louisville after undergoing surgery on his right hand and wrist on May 3. He's been swinging at hot bat for Louisville, batting .442 with three homers and six stolen bases in 13 games.

Dickerson began the season on the Reds' roster and batted .205 before injuring his hand. He was placed on the disabled list on April 30.[/quote]

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100809&content_id=13229004&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1281376459' post='904082']
boo!

If there's one baseball player I hate, it's Jim Edmonds.
[/quote]

I only "hated" him because he always seemed to beat the Reds. But now that he's one of us, I like him. Not the player he was a few years ago, but "neither was Scott Rolen".

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1281379134' post='904094']
I only "hated" him because he always seemed to beat the Reds. But now that he's one of us, I like him. Not the player he was a few years ago, but "neither was Scott Rolen".
[/quote]

that's not why I hated him.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1281379430' post='904099']
Why did you hate him?
[/quote]

he's kind of an ass.

And he always got credit for great catches that he made, not because he was that talented, but because he was slow and had to dive for them. They're routine for other guys like Griffey.

[quote]bradjohansen
Reds waste no time. Edmonds starts in center hitting 5th tonight.
19 minutes ago via mobile web[/quote]

I am not in favor of sending Wood down, at all. He has pitched GREAT! WTF, seriously? Who's going to take his place in the rotation, fucking Harang? This doesn't make any sense to me. I'd rather send Leake down than Wood. At least Wood can pitch an entire game and not have to come out after 6 innings.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1281383490' post='904120']
[b]wtf, they send Travis Wood down?[/b]

Do we just not need a 5th starter for awhile?
[/quote]

What?!?!?!?

The guy almost pitches a perfect game, takes a no-no into the 6th yesterday, has been one of our best starters since given the opportunity, and they fucking send him down?

Am I completely off my rocker? WTF?

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1281385567' post='904136']
I am not in favor of sending Wood down, at all. He has pitched GREAT! WTF, seriously? Who's going to take his place in the rotation, fucking Harang? This doesn't make any sense to me. I'd rather send Leake down than Wood. At least Wood can pitch an entire game and not have to come out after 6 innings.
[/quote]

[quote]bradjohansen

Clubhouse interviews with Dusty, Edmonds, and his new teammates. Travis wood sent AAA. [b]Back to pitch the 19th.[/b] More at 5&6 on Local 12[/quote]

[quote]ctrent

[b]Wood has already thrown 149 innings this year, Leake 126[/b] #Reds
9 minutes ago via TweetDeck[/quote]

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1281386065' post='904143']
guys calm...im sure hell be back up soon. Just prob gonna skip him once in the rotation. He might need to keep his innings down like leake. Hell prob be back in 10 days or so.
[/quote]

back the 19th.

So does his turn in the rotation just get skipped or do the bring up someone to take his place for a start? This whole move with Edmunds/Wood is sorta baffling to me. He's 40 and has a bad wheel. I think I would have rather left our rotation as is and simply brought up Dickerson and sent another of the outfielders packing, like Nix.

bung he misses one start and as 1181 showed he is already at 150 innings. He's only 23 too need to limit his innings like leake.

edmunds will prob help more now then dickerson. Ideally anyways. Dickerson didn't have much more of a future here then a 4th of anyways.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1281388222' post='904155']
bung he misses one start and as 1181 showed he is already at 150 innings. He's only 23 too need to limit his innings like leake.

edmunds will prob help more now then dickerson. Ideally anyways. Dickerson didn't have much more of a future here then a 4th of anyways.
[/quote]

What I am asking is do the other four pitchers just get shorter rest as a result of this move or is someone else being brought up to take Wood's start? And I'm also not really a fan of limiting innings unless a pitcher is coming off an injury or has pitched an ungodly amount of them. Wood isn't and hasn't.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1281390257' post='904165']
[b]no one has to pitch on short rest. There is an off day thursday.[/b]

and whether you like it or not limiting innings is something every team does. I'm not a doctor but if you only threw 150 innings in a season then jump to 215 that's prob not god for your arm
[/quote]

Ah, gotcha. They need it as they didn't get one today. Perhaps you're right about limiting innings too, but I worry about putting any additional stress on the bullpen as its prone to melting down. I mean...if Arroyo pitches well he regularly pitches into the 7th, 8th and 9th innings. Why is it more important to limit innings in a younger pitcher than an older one?

Archived