Hey fellers

oftt4

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1289798546' post='941496']
So, you picked the "new conspiracy theory" route. Not particularly original around these parts, but I guess you just have to go with what you know sometimes.

Don't forget your tin foil hat when you leave the house today, by the way. I hear Big Brother is monitoring your thoughts extra hard today.
[/quote]

I know for a fact the schedule was changed after Goodell was left no choice but to suspend Big Jen...

Why do you think the schedule release got delayed right after the DA in Georgia had his press conference??

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' timestamp='1289827509' post='941561']
I know for a fact the schedule was changed after Goodell was left no choice but to suspend Big Jen...

Why do you think the schedule release got delayed right after the DA in Georgia had his press conference??
[/quote]

And what exactly did they get out of this alleged schedule reshuffling?

Atlanta 7-2
Tennessee 5-4
Tampa 6-3
Baltimore 6-3

They got what is probably the hardest opening 4 games in the league.

Want to argue that some of those teams are "surprise" teams that the league didn't think would be as good? Fine, go ahead. That's still a load of crap because Atlanta was expected to rebound from last season, and Baltimore was viewed as a Super Bowl contender from the day they signed Boldin. Also, the Steelers had a third place schedule long before Ben's suspension, meaning you'd be hard pressed to randomly select 4 teams from that schedule and find one any more difficult.

But hey, let's give you your argument and see where it goes.

Here's a list of games:

Tennessee
Baltimore
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Cincinnati
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Oakland
Buffalo
Carolina
Miami
New York Jets

By the standards I've read on other people commenting on this topic, I think we can safely assume that both Cleveland games, Oakland, Buffalo, Carolina, Miami and Tampa would be games that wouldn't meet your criteria of being projected as being competitive based on preseason expectations, so let's take those out. That's almost half of their schedule already. Eliminate the two divisional repeat games (they'd never two schedule division games against the same opponent within the first four weeks), and we already have 9 of 16 games accounted for. So, basically, you guys wanted at least 3 or 4 of the remaining 7 "competitive" games crammed inside those first four games to open the season. Had that happened, wouldn't Steeler fans have been perfectly justified in saying that Goodell was piling on against the them? I ask because I know if that had happened against the Bengals, you guys would have gone nuts and there'd be 20 threads on the main page crying about how much the league hates you.

That aside, I still stand my assertion that you guys would have whined just as much had the schedule been New England/Baltimore/Jets/New Orleans. Why? Because that would have meant that the Steelers got to play the easiest part of their schedule with Ben back in the lineup, while the games that the Steelers easily could have lost with or without Ben were already out of the way. We'd be reading threads about how Goodell paved the road for the Steelers to easily get into the playoffs with momentum on their side due to their hard games being out of the way early.

Fact of the matter is, you guys would have whined no matter what happened.

[quote name='PutWittyNameHere' timestamp='1289847690' post='941682']
And what exactly did they get out of this alleged schedule reshuffling?

Atlanta 7-2
Tennessee 5-4
Tampa 6-3
Baltimore 6-3

They got what is probably the hardest opening 4 games in the league.

Want to argue that some of those teams are "surprise" teams that the league didn't think would be as good? Fine, go ahead. That's still a load of crap because [b]Atlanta was expected to rebound from last season[/b], and Baltimore was viewed as a Super Bowl contender from the day they signed Boldin. Also, the Steelers had a third place schedule long before Ben's suspension, meaning you'd be hard pressed to randomly select 4 teams from that schedule and find one any more difficult.

But hey, let's give you your argument and see where it goes.

Here's a list of games:

Tennessee
Baltimore
Baltimore
Cleveland
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Cincinnati
Tampa Bay
Atlanta
New Orleans
New England
Oakland
Buffalo
Carolina
Miami
New York Jets

By the standards I've read on other people commenting on this topic, I think we can safely assume that both Cleveland games, Oakland, Buffalo, Carolina, Miami and Tampa would be games that wouldn't meet your criteria of being projected as being competitive based on preseason expectations, so let's take those out. That's almost half of their schedule already. Eliminate the two divisional repeat games (they'd never two schedule division games against the same opponent within the first four weeks), and we already have 9 of 16 games accounted for. So, basically, you guys wanted at least 3 or 4 of the remaining 7 "competitive" games crammed inside those first four games to open the season. Had that happened, wouldn't Steeler fans have been perfectly justified in saying that Goodell was piling on against the them? I ask because I know if that had happened against the Bengals, you guys would have gone nuts and there'd be 20 threads on the main page crying about how much the league hates you.

That aside, I still stand my assertion that you guys would have whined just as much had the schedule been New England/Baltimore/Jets/New Orleans. Why? Because that would have meant that the Steelers got to play the easiest part of their schedule with Ben back in the lineup, while the games that the Steelers easily could have lost with or without Ben were already out of the way. We'd be reading threads about how Goodell paved the road for the Steelers to easily get into the playoffs with momentum on their side due to their hard games being out of the way early.

Fact of the matter is, you guys would have whined no matter what happened.
[/quote]

They changed what they could without turning the entire schedule upside down.

No one expected Atlanta, and Tampa Bay to be that good.....and Tenn anything better than mediocre......

A lot of teams are expected to rebound by all the "experts"

It sucks that it blew up in Goodell's face I guess....

I truly wish I had not found out the league reshuffled the schedule to accommodate the Steelers and Big Jen's suspension... It really puts a black eye on the league and that makes me sad......

It really sucks the league protects a select few franchises....

Bottom line... the schedule was set and ready to be released.

DA in Georgia gets on TV and all but calls Ben a dirtbag.

NFL delays the release of the schedule.

This is the PM that I sent to a few members here that I got from my guy inside the Bengals organization...

[b]Sent 12 April 2010 - 03:57 PM[/b]
Keep this to yourself.......

I have a few people that I PM info to.....

Week 1 Jets Monday night Away
Week 2 Tampa Bay Home
Week 3 Buffalo Home
Week 4 Cleveland Away

Bengals actual schedule:
Pats
Ravens
Panthers
Browns

April 12th is when the DA announced "no charges"

April 14th:
[b]
Wed Apr 14 02:33pm EDT
After brief delay, NFL will release the 2010 schedule on Tuesday[/b]

By Chris Chase

On Tuesday, the wait will finally end. And then it will begin again anew. The NFL announced Wednesday that it will release the 2010 schedule April 20 at 7 p.m. ET during a special on its flagship network.

If the schedule seems like it's being released a little later this year, that's because it is, but not by as much as you'd think. Last year's schedule release was April 14. It was April 15 the year before.

No reason has been given for why the schedule was delayed this year, but it has been speculated that such a delay was helpful in getting the league to get a Washington Redskins-Philadelphia Eagles game in primetime, something that became a near-necessity after the stunning trade of Donovan McNabb(notes) to the Nation's Capital.

With all the non-traditional traditions the NFL has halted over the years (seven hours of the draft on a Saturday afternoon, kicking off the season with 10 games at 1 p.m. on a Sunday, celebrations that aren't the Lambeau Leap), it's nice that the schedule release has yet to become a pre-planned date on the NFL calendar. It's maybe the only spontaneous thing the league does anymore.

You do the Math.....

Archived