My First Way Too Early Mock Draft

Jason

Assuming the Bengals will be drafting somewhere in the 20s, Ced is re-signed, and based on Walter Football Rankings.

1. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Chad and TO are both on the downside, and as much as I like Ship and Caldwell, neither is a #1 WR. Floyd has a good size/speed combo.

2. Mark Barron*, SS, Alabama
Roy is getting old, and Ndukwe is a solid backup, but I'm not sure I want him starting. I'll give Regie Nelson a year to show what he can do at FS after getting coached up.

3. Justin Boren, G, Ohio State
Livings has not impressed me at all, and apparently Mathis hasn't impressed the coaches since he's not playing. Call me a homer, but Boren is tough and a good leader.

4. Matt Reynolds*, OT, BYU
Smith and Roland need a little competition at RT and Reynolds has good size, and was First Team all conference last year.

5. Shaun Chapas, FB, Georgia
This running game obviously needs a lead blocking FB and no one on the current roster has shown the aptitude.

6. Brian Rolle LB OSU
Yeah, he's small to play LB in the AFCN but he's very fast, and if nothing else would be a very good special teams player.

7. Mark Dell, WR, Michigan State
He's 6'2" with good speed.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1285955147' post='925074']
I'm also assuming your resigning to tagging Joseph?
[/quote]

I hope so. But it doesn't really impact this draft either way. We signed Adam Jones for 2 years, drafted Brandon Ghee, and Morgan Trent is continuing to improve. I think we might be able to afford to lose JoJo or Hall (but not both).

In the 1st (assuming they pick in the 20s):
1. S Rahim Moore, UCLA - Ballhawk free safety
2. WR Malcom Floyd, Notre Dame
3. RB Mark Ingram, Alabama - Benson is a FA and this dude is a beast
4. C/G Kris O'Dowd, USC - Very good interior lineman
5. S Deunta Williams, North Carolina - Well rounded FS

Owen Marecic in round 2 or 3. Dude is a MONSTER fullback.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1285963014' post='925096']
holy crap, its only october!

Anywho, I want Austin Pettis as far as WR's go.

He's like a Miles Austin clone.
[/quote]
Pettis is awesome. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Hopefully the second round.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='The Scales' timestamp='1287259805' post='931298']
I'd be looking Real Hard at some Cream of the Crop Defensive Ends.
[/quote]

Yeah, there will definitely be a DE high in my next mock.

Unless Dunlap or MJ explode the next few weeks.

[quote name='Randle P McMurphy' timestamp='1287325037' post='931389']
Bengals will probably be picking between 10 and 14. We HAVE to fix the O-Line first and
foremost.
[/quote]

Agreed. But this is a really weak year for OTs and only a decent year for guards. I don't know that there will be much worth taking in 1. Especially if we wind up picking high.

Derrek Sherrod from Mississippi St. is probably going to be the best tackle. I don't think we draft tackle though. There are quite a few really good interior lineman in the early 2nd round range: Marcus Cannon, Kris O'Dowd, Mike Pouncey, Steve Wisniewski, Rodney Hudson.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1287420159' post='931705']
Derrek Sherrod from Mississippi St. is probably going to be the best tackle. I don't think we draft tackle though. There are quite a few really good interior lineman in the early 2nd round range: Marcus Cannon, Kris O'Dowd, Mike Pouncey, Steve Wisniewski, Rodney Hudson.
[/quote]

I agree that this coaching staff probably "wouldn't" (not a LT anyway). They are very high on Whitworth. But I'm less convinced that we "shouldn't". I need to pay more attention to Whit the rest of the way. However, at the rate things are going, this might be the year the coaching staff gets an overhaul. Who knows what the new regime night think.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1287430205' post='931733']
I agree that this coaching staff probably "wouldn't" (not a LT anyway). They are very high on Whitworth. But I'm less convinced that we "shouldn't". I need to pay more attention to Whit the rest of the way. However, at the rate things are going, this might be the year the coaching staff gets an overhaul. Who knows what the new regime night think.
[/quote]
When he first started out at LT, Dwight Freeney abused him by just running past him. But he does that too a lot of guys. That seemed to be Whit's problem was getting ran around. Then he dropped weight to play the LT position and I see him get bullrushed a ton and awfully close to Carson a lot.

Whit is a average left tackle. He would be better suited in the interior line where he seemed to work very well. A LT in the form of Ryan Clady/Joe Thomas/Marcus McNeil would help this team more than anything else would. Carson can see what is coming from the right side. He can only sense what is coming from his backside.

All of this of course is my opinion of what I see. I have caught a ton of flak for suggesting Whit not play LT. He just isn't what you need pass blocking wise for a 100 million dollar QB. Whitworth is problem number 5 on this line and is our best lineman. I think due to the lack of talent, he is playing LT out of necessity.

Hopefully we can get that franchise LT next year. We are going to be in high demand for a QB, RB, and WR's in the next few years..not to mention the lack of pass rush, horrible offensive line play and lack of safties. The next draft we need to find hopefully three starters, hopefully at O-Line, WR, and Safety. It'd be nice to have the Pats draft picks who will just absolutely improve their team next year.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1287420159' post='931705']
[/quote]

IMO I'd always go after tackles that have the talent to play inside. Guys like Whit.

Archived