Reds pick up option on Arroyo, let Harang, Cabrera leave

oldschooler

[size="5"][b]Reds pick up option on Arroyo, let Harang, Cabrera leave[/b]
[/size]Posted: 4:15 PM

By: Associated Press

By JOE KAY, AP Baseball Writer

CINCINNATI (AP) - The Reds have decided to let right-hander Aaron Harang and shortstop Orlando Cabrera become free agents rather than exercise pricey contract options for next season.

The NL Central champions exercised 2011 options for right-hander Bronson Arroyo and left fielder Jonny Gomes on Wednesday.

Arroyo was their top starter last season and will make $11.5 million next year. The Reds are talking to Arroyo about extending the deal beyond 2011.

The Reds would have had to pay Harang $12.75 million to keep him for next year. Instead, it bought out the option for $2 million. He went 6-7 with a 5.32 ERA last season, losing his spot in the rotation before the playoffs.

Cabrera would have gotten $4 million next year. The Reds bought it out for $1 million. He batted .263 with four homers in 123 games.

[url="http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/baseball/reds/reds-pick-up-option-on-arroyo%2C-let-harang%2C-cabrera-leave"]http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/sports/baseball/reds/reds-pick-up-option-on-arroyo%2C-let-harang%2C-cabrera-leave[/url]

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1288821728' post='937102']
I hope so. But if they can get Cabrera back for, say, $2M, I wouldn't be opposed. But Janish would still be my starter.
[/quote]
Never been a huge fan of Janish. Is there anything decent at SS on the farm that may come up and improve us? That may provide some offense?

Kind of surprised at picking up gomes. I thought it would be Heisy in left next year.
Plus, how many times was gomes taken out late in games for defensive purposes?
He's a liability in the field and his bat cooled considerably after May.

I see Heisy starting in left next year, with gomes as a backup or cut if he doesn't want to do so.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1288822915' post='937113']
I get picking up Arroyo's option, but I just don't see the room. You've already got Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Wood and Leake. Plus the supposed addition of Aroldis Chapman (which I don't see happening at this point).
[/quote]
You can never have enough good pitchers and chances are at least one of those guys will miss starts next year. Leake was a non factor after June, Bailey missed about 2 months this year, and hopefully Volquez holds up.

I like picking up his option since Leake is still building up his arm to pitch at this level and Bailey seems to be injury prone. Try to trade Coco and put Chapman as the closer.

With how hard Chapman throws you almost have to believe he's going to blow something out eventually, keep him in the pen to limit his pitches, at least for now.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1288826813' post='937131']
You can never have enough good pitchers and chances are at least one of those guys will miss starts next year. Leake was a non factor after June, Bailey missed about 2 months this year, and hopefully Volquez holds up.

I like picking up his option since Leake is still building up his arm to pitch at this level and Bailey seems to be injury prone. Try to trade Coco and put Chapman as the closer.

With how hard Chapman throws you almost have to believe he's going to blow something out eventually, keep him in the pen to limit his pitches, at least for now.
[/quote]
Dusty said on the radio the other day he expects to keep Chapman in the pen.

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1288823333' post='937116']
Never been a huge fan of Janish. Is there anything decent at SS on the farm that may come up and improve us? That may provide some offense?
[/quote]

What's wrong with Janish? He's one of the best defensive shortstops in the game. And if you project his numbers from last year to 500 ABs you get:

58 runs 12 HR 62 RBI 25 2B and a .260 batting average. Now, that's not Derick Jeter, but it's pretty solid for a defender of his quality.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1288874196' post='937208']
What's wrong with Janish? He's one of the best defensive shortstops in the game. And if you project his numbers from last year to 500 ABs you get:

58 runs 12 HR 62 RBI 25 2B and a .260 batting average. Now, that's not Derick Jeter, but it's pretty solid for a defender of his quality.
[/quote]

I think Janish is perfectly fine in the 8 hole.

To answer his question, zach cozart is the SS waiting in the wings. He might get brought up
this year to back up Janish. His bat isnt that great eitehr though.

Im cool with Janish, I just hope we can figure out a way to get a semi big bat in LF to
replace the gomes/nix duo. Gomes/nix wouldnt be the end of the world, but if we want
to be an elite team we could definitely use a better bat in LF to plug into the 4 or 5 holel.

Archived