Upcoming Movie Trailers

Bengals1181

reviews look great for Superman

70% at the moment, the DC press (I think there are a total of 5 that can post on RT) won't post their reviews till tomorrow, maybe Friday (for some reason, the people that run screenings in DC are picky about reviews leaking early). 

Fuck the reviews. Man of Steel was a great, much needed update to the series. Thoroughly enjoyed it

I haven't seen much by way of straight bad reviews, but more of "we expected more."

I thought it was very good, but it did certainly have issues in the first hour with how they cut the movie.  I'm not sure the flashbacks worked as well as they would have if they just kept everything in chronological order.  There were also a couple other spots where the jump from one scene to another just felt awkward.  (ie [spoiler] the jump at the beginning from Krypton to him already being in his late 20's.  Also, the cut to when they wait for Zod in the desert - felt like part of a scene was missing there) [/spoiler]

Like I said though, a very good movie overall.  Action was great and the acting was even better.  An incredibly strong cast.  

I liked it but didn't think it was as good as batman or the avengers. Didn't really care for the jumping around with the flashbacks and didn't think the chemistry between amy adams and the dude who played superman was there, other than that it was enjoyable

I liked it but didn't think it was as good as batman or the avengers. Didn't really care for the jumping around with the flashbacks and didn't think the chemistry between amy adams and the dude who played superman was there, other than that it was enjoyable

I agree. I liked it but I was still a little disappointed that it wasn't great. Compared to recently released movies, I liked Star Trek much more.

I agree. I liked it but I was still a little disappointed that it wasn't great. Compared to recently released movies, I liked Star Trek much more.

Ditto

Also I didn't like

[spoiler] Superman is now willing to kill? [/spoiler]

Ditto

Also I didn't like

[spoiler] Superman is now willing to kill? [/spoiler]

[spoiler] the point of that was that he needed to learn the hard way why he couldn't be a killer. They showed the huge emotional toll it took on him.  He also did it for the greater good of humanity, as Zod was about to kill 4 people and vowed to kill every human on the planet.

It was different for a Superman take, but one that fits current times.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] the point of that was that he needed to learn the hard way why he couldn't be a killer. They showed the huge emotional toll it took on him.  He also did it for the greater good of humanity, as Zod was about to kill 4 people and vowed to kill every human on the planet.

It was different for a Superman take, but one that fits current times.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] The problem I have with it is that it taints him, he now is capable of going down a dark path if pushed hard enough. You don't want that in a superhero like superman[/spoiler]

[spoiler] The problem I have with it is that it taints him, he now is capable of going down a dark path if pushed hard enough. You don't want that in a superhero like superman[/spoiler]

[spoiler]given the circumstances, it was warranted, and just because it happens once doesn't mean he'll choose to do it again.  Likely, they use that as his reason for "making that rule."

I've never read the comics, but I've read that in one of the comics he kills Zod.  

It makes more sense for the character in today's world (just like how he's a more physical Superman, and got enraged when Martha was attacked).  The problem that has always plagued the Superman character on screen is that he often comes off as dull and lifeless and absent of feeling.  Most previous incarnations of Superman have left him boring, generic and lacking emotion. Having this happen not only gives you the opportunity to show a hugely emotional moment for Superman, but it also furthers his character development as he develops into Superman, which was a big point of the film.  When to use your powers, when not to, how, and what limits you set on yourself morality wise while also stretching the limits of his powers.

Having this happens, Superman now understands how killing, even for the greater good, effects him and it will shape how he protects and fights in the future.  It's just bland if you have him make that rule but never dig into the why.  Even Jonathan Kent, the moral compass of the Superman universe, struggled in the movie with whether Clark should let people die if he had the power to save them.  So, at the end of the film you see Superman using his powers to save people, but at the expense of Zod's life and the future of his race.  Now, the writers can build on that moment and show how it affects him.

Also, while his creation is sketcy, Superman kills Nuclear Man at the end of Superman 4.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]given the circumstances, it was warranted, and just because it happens once doesn't mean he'll choose to do it again.  Likely, they use that as his reason for "making that rule."

I've never read the comics, but I've read that in one of the comics he kills Zod.  

It makes more sense for the character in today's world (just like how he's a more physical Superman, and got enraged when Martha was attacked).  The problem that has always plagued the Superman character on screen is that he often comes off as dull and lifeless and absent of feeling.  Most previous incarnations of Superman have left him boring, generic and lacking emotion. Having this happen not only gives you the opportunity to show a hugely emotional moment for Superman, but it also furthers his character development as he develops into Superman, which was a big point of the film.  When to use your powers, when not to, how, and what limits you set on yourself morality wise while also stretching the limits of his powers.

Having this happens, Superman now understands how killing, even for the greater good, effects him and it will shape how he protects and fights in the future.  It's just bland if you have him make that rule but never dig into the why.  Even Jonathan Kent, the moral compass of the Superman universe, struggled in the movie with whether Clark should let people die if he had the power to save them.  So, at the end of the film you see Superman using his powers to save people, but at the expense of Zod's life and the future of his race.  Now, the writers can build on that moment and show how it affects him.

Also, while his creation is sketcy, Superman kills Nuclear Man at the end of Superman 4.

[/spoiler]

Meh still don't like it not for a character like him

One of my stepbrothers had this take on Man of Steel which I hadn't read anywhere previously:

I saw Man of Steel, and I mostly liked it. There was one line that took me out of the movie, and it doesn't spoil the plot aside from being a dumb line which shouldn't have been in the movie. One of the evil Kryptonians played by a German lady said to Superman, "Haven't you learned anything? Evolution always wins." - Huh? It didn't have anything the do with the plot or the mission of the Kryptonians. The movie really played up the Superman=Jesus, so the line mainly seemed designed to play to the Christian anti-science crowd by having an evil person saying, "yay evolution" before slapping the Jesus figure. It made no other sense. I still liked the movie mostly.

One of my stepbrothers had this take on Man of Steel which I hadn't read anywhere previously:

I saw Man of Steel, and I mostly liked it. There was one line that took me out of the movie, and it doesn't spoil the plot aside from being a dumb line which shouldn't have been in the movie. One of the evil Kryptonians played by a German lady said to Superman, "Haven't you learned anything? Evolution always wins." - Huh? It didn't have anything the do with the plot or the mission of the Kryptonians. The movie really played up the Superman=Jesus, so the line mainly seemed designed to play to the Christian anti-science crowd by having an evil person saying, "yay evolution" before slapping the Jesus figure. It made no other sense. I still liked the movie mostly.

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Faora say that to Meloni or one of the other military guys?

Apparently the Superman = Jesus thing was something the director said he wanted to do, but ive not seen that quote anywhere.

I think it's in relation to the fact that on Krypton, they were all genetically modified to be born how they were. Supes, however, was a natural birth. Seemingly, a step backwards in terms of the advancement of their race.

I took that more as her trying to state that "lack of morality" will defeat those with principles.  However, as Supes proved (and as history has shown)

, those who have limits and a sense of moral authority usually do prevail over the bloodthirsty genocidal mania.  

I loved Man of Steel.  I can understand some criticisms of it--it was sort of like an "epic poem" treatment--we really didn't get too close to the characters, more like we watched them from far away.  It was quite serious and had some dark elements in it.  To me it all boiled down to destiny vs choice, and what makes us human.  

Also, this is late to the party, but I really enjoyed Oblivion and Star Trek.  Still haven't seen Iron Man 3, and I'm looking forward to Elysium (even if it does look like a clumsy commentary on immigration policy)

Archived