Draft
1 AJ Green
2 Marcus Cannon
3 LB Herzlich
4 S Black
5 DE Coffmen
7 TE Torchia

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1300102847' post='976907']
While I like most of the players, IMO they don't need Cannon AND John Moffitt, and Sanzenbacher isn't the kind of WR they need. I also think he'll be gone by then.

Further, they have to get a QB somewhere this year, whether Carson is back or not.
[/quote]

Not sure I could disagree more, and that is respectfully disagree because I fidn your logic and judgment to be very good. My argument.

1. Cannon and Moffit is exactly what we need. This line is awful...awful and the more guys we get who can play the better. Getting a new starting LG and an eventual starter at G is exactly what we need. Who knows those two could end up being our starting Left side. Willie and Levi show that you never know at the line and the more early investment the better.
2. Sanzenbacher (and I bow to you on this one) seems like exactly what we need. An absolute sure handed technician who can get off the line and catch the quick past and then has deceptive ability to do a little something with it although thats not his strength. You know where Dane will be, you know he will catch it. He is Mr Reliable and adds deceptive athleticism.
3. Logically I agree, but I am not sure I really love any of these QBs.

Players I love in this draft
WR Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dane Sanzenbacher
RB Bilal Powell
OL Gabe Carimi, Ben Moffit
DE Jake Coffman
LB Mark Herzlich

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1300117528' post='976923']
Not sure I could disagree more, and that is respectfully disagree because I fidn your logic and judgment to be very good. My argument.

1. Cannon and Moffit is exactly what we need. This line is awful...awful and the more guys we get who can play the better. Getting a new starting LG and an eventual starter at G is exactly what we need. Who knows those two could end up being our starting Left side. Willie and Levi show that you never know at the line and the more early investment the better.
2. Sanzenbacher (and I bow to you on this one) seems like exactly what we need. An absolute sure handed technician who can get off the line and catch the quick past and then has deceptive ability to do a little something with it although thats not his strength. You know where Dane will be, you know he will catch it. He is Mr Reliable and adds deceptive athleticism.
3. Logically I agree, but I am not sure I really love any of these QBs.

Players I love in this draft
WR Julio Jones, AJ Green, Dane Sanzenbacher
RB Bilal Powell
OL Gabe Carimi, Ben Moffit
DE Jake Coffman
LB Mark Herzlich
[/quote]

I just don't see the need for 2 linemen. Would I like it? sure, but you only really need 1 and can really use the draft pick elsewhere.

Give me whit, cannon, cook, bobbie, collins, andre along with stephens/livings/hudson/etc. and I'm feeling pretty good.

Won't complain about 2, but don't think its needed.

Same with Dane. Love the kid and won't complain one bit if he's on the team. The second they took Shipley I knew he'd be a great pick, and Dane would be much of the same. However, the Bengals need a bigger guy who can develop into a top tier WR. That's not dane. He's not even 175lbs and will never be a #1 WR.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1300121312' post='976938']
I just don't see the need for 2 linemen. Would I like it? sure, but you only really need 1 and can really use the draft pick elsewhere.

Give me whit, cannon, cook, bobbie, collins, andre along with stephens/livings/hudson/etc. and I'm feeling pretty good.

Won't complain about 2, but don't think its needed.

Same with Dane. Love the kid and won't complain one bit if he's on the team. The second they took Shipley I knew he'd be a great pick, and Dane would be much of the same. However, the Bengals need a bigger guy who can develop into a top tier WR. That's not dane. He's not even 175lbs and [b]will never be a #1 WR[/b].
[/quote]

Well, when you also draft AJ Green, do you need him to be?

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1300122567' post='976946']
Well, when you also draft AJ Green, do you need him to be?
[/quote]

haha! I forgot all about him taking Green. In that case I have no problem at all with the Dane pick, though do think there are other needs in his scenario. Then again, if he replaces Moffitt with a higher rated safety or LB, the Dane pick fits.

Still think they have to take a QB at some point to pair with a vet and Lefevour. Give me Ponder/Dalton/Kaepernick.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1300125219' post='976953']
Ithink you have been overvaluing him the entire year. Its a crapshoot.
[/quote]

I tend to agree with 1181. Dane is going to be most likely a 4th
round pick. He is very similar Gonzalez and the other white dude
from Indy. Very similar skillset and deceptively quick. Your love for
Herzlich is a bit odd. While not a bad football player by any stretch
his lack of quickness and speed will be his undoing. He barely got under
5 seconds in the 40 and he's going to have to guard TE's and RB's out of
the backfield. That is not a good combo IMO.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1300132525' post='976987']
Hard not to believe the Bengals will draft a QB at some point. I also cant see them drafting Sanzenbacher. He is to much like Shipley.
[/quote]

he is, which is probably why they won't draft him, but both shipley and Dane have the talent to be #2's and both have the talent to play out wide and play in the slot.

What they do best is the same, but both are versatile enough to play different roles.

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1300132525' post='976987']
Hard not to believe the Bengals will draft a QB at some point. I also cant see them drafting Sanzenbacher. He is to much like Shipley.
[/quote]
I said long ago that we dont need Sanzenbacher because we have Shipley. I have since rethought that. I think we could certainly use 2 Shipleys. I dont think Dane has the quickness of Shipley but is tougher and thicker/bigger

I think you are overvaluing Shane. He wont be a number 2 but can be a very effective 3-4-5. The perfect guy who doesnt make a mistake there and does not need a ton of run to be good.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1300135501' post='976999']
you can never have too many WR's like Shipley/Sanzenbacher.
[/quote]

On third down they will be where they are supposed to be and catch the ball. The perfect type of underneath guys to go with AJ Green, Caldwell and Simpson. Now that was the old system. Cosby, Shipley and Sanzenbacher might be the prototype in this offense.

I really don't see the need to draft a QB. We basically need a starter not a developmental guy, which we already have in LeFevour. Jordan Palmer may well be back and I'd expect the team to look for a veteran as the starter. If we are looking for a rookie to be our new franchise guy, I'd rather wait for 2012.

I heartily approve of Cannon and Moffitt being drafted and I'd like to get Fairley in the first. Improve both lines.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1300145827' post='977025']
I really don't see the need to draft a QB. We basically need a starter not a developmental guy, which we already have in LeFevour. Jordan Palmer may well be back and I'd expect the team to look for a veteran as the starter. If we are looking for a rookie to be our new franchise guy, I'd rather wait for 2012.

I heartily approve of Cannon and Moffitt being drafted and I'd like to get Fairley in the first. Improve both lines.
[/quote]

This post is the cats pajamas. I really wonder what the percentage of QBs who become starters in the NFL not drafted in round 1 is. Its low. Qbs flake out. Lets let someone else develop them and steal them or draft a first rounder. No matter who we bring in here they will fail without an offensive line. The Texans ruined David Carr that way. The more I think about it the more it makes no sense to get another developmental guy. The term developmental QB does not really happen any more. People name Matt Schaub and Kolb as examples. Arent they not even examples but actually the only two guys for this to happen. A 2012 first rounder for Kevin Kolb makes a lot more sense then drafting a 3rd rounder. If we have to do it Stanzi makes sense but I dont see much in anyone outside of Locker, Stanzi and Gabbert that I really like. With Lockers accuracy thats a stretch too. Everyone else is either wildly inconsistent or Bruce Gradkowski/Brian Griese waiting to happen. Sure they may look ok but we will [u]always[/u] be trying to replace them.

Archived