Best of the rest: Quarterbacks

Mike mayock talks about the 2nd tier quarterbacks.

He says he would rather take Dalton over Ponder given a choice. He says Ponder is better right now but with limited upside, and thinks Dalton will be the better player in the long term.

Link:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f1ae33/Best-of-the-rest-Quarterbacks?module=HP_cp2

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1302206730' post='982447']
Mike mayock talks about the 2nd tier quarterbacks.

He says he would rather take Dalton over Ponder given a choice. He says Ponder is better right now but with limited upside, and thinks Dalton will be the better player in the long term.

Link:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f1ae33/Best-of-the-rest-Quarterbacks?module=HP_cp2
[/quote]

In Mayock's mock he has us taking Dalton in the second round.

So does Kiper.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1302216948' post='982492']
In Mayock's mock he has us taking Dalton in the second round.

So does Kiper.
[/quote]
If we get Dalton, maybe we would need to get a Matt Hasslbeck (say) on a one year deal, and let Dalton get groomed for a year before becoming starter. Unless Carson stays another year, you never know.

Andy Dalton videos

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rgEw2tT00Q&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj-4131UbFg&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5wRf7PqdP8&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Must admit he does look good, but I'm wondering how well his velocity would hold up in the windy AFC North weather! Same knock on Ponder!

To be quite honest, if the Bengals don't draft Cam, who does have the most potential in this draft IMO, I would be just fine with waiting until the fifth round and picking McElroy from Alabama. I think he'll end up being just as effective as any of the QB's taken after Round 1.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1302279574' post='982592']
To be quite honest, if the Bengals don't draft Cam, who does have the most potential in this draft IMO, I would be just fine with waiting until the fifth round and picking McElroy from Alabama. I think he'll end up being just as effective as any of the QB's taken after Round 1.
[/quote]

I dunno, I think its pretty telling that only one team went to McElroy's personal workout day.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1302279574' post='982592']
[/quote]
x2

For me this kid is a dark horse. The main criticism of him I've heard is his throwing motion and arm strength (but I don't buy the arm strength part).

[size="5"][b]Mr. Underrated: Greg McElroy[/b][/size]
By Stacey Mickles(Correspondent) on April 8, 2010 - Tuscaloosa

When you first see Greg McElroy, you think of Andy Taylor’s son Opie from the Andy Griffith show. Red hair, freckles and a cute smile; in other words, your typical boy next door, but Greg McElroy is not your typical boy next door.

In fact, he is not a boy at all; he is a man. A man that as a junior led his 2009 Alabama football team to its first national championship in nearly 20 years, yet he is hardly mention as one of the top quarterbacks in the country or even in his own conference.

You hear names like Ryan Mallett of Arkansas, John Brantly of Florida and even Cam Newton of Auburn (who has yet to start a game on the Division I level), but not McElroy. Yet, McElroy has not lost a game since the eighth grade; yes, THE EIGHTH GRADE.

[b]A lot of people point at his performance in the BCS Championship game as a Jay Barker like because he didn’t throw for a bunch of yards or had a lot of completions, but it’s probably due to the fact that both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson ran for over a 100 yards that night and Nick Saban went conservative in the second half, not to mention that McElroy admitted later he had two crack ribs.[/b]

But if you want to know how good Greg McElroy is, check out his stats from 2009: 2500 yards passing, 17 touchdowns and only four interceptions. Still not convinced? Check out his play in SEC Championship Game versus Florida last year. He threw for 239 yards, one touchdown and made the play of the night when he tight roped the sideline for a first down that produced another touchdown. He was named MVP.

In short folks, this kid, I’m sorry I mean MAN, is good. He won’t get the praise or the recognition he deserves because of the Alabama running game, but he should. He won’t get his name mention as the best quarterback in the SEC, but he should. He probably won’t even get a sniff at a Heisman vote this year, but he should.

Greg McElroy may not be your typical quarterback, but one thing he is; a winner and he SHOULD get more respect for being that.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQPVv4pafN8&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Looking at the video, McElroy seems to have a bit more zip on his passes than Ponder or Dalton (I could be wrong). He has been playing in pro style offense and scouts say his best fit would be in the west coast scheme. Apparently (saw this written somewhere online) that he had the [b]highest completion percentage for all college quarterbacks in 2011, for passes thrown over 40+ yards.[/b]

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1302285836' post='982615']
Yet, McElroy has not lost a game since the eighth grade; yes, THE EIGHTH GRADE.[/quote]

McElroy = Ken Dorsey.

I don't think he lost a game in highschool or college either, and he was the MVP of the National Championship game.

Great teams can make a QB look great in college.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1302304270' post='982659']
McElroy = Ken Dorsey.

I don't think he lost a game in highschool or college either, and he was the MVP of the National Championship game.

Great teams can make a QB look great in college.
[/quote]

I can think of one game he lost in college :on_the_quiet:

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1302262958' post='982552']
If we get Dalton, maybe we would need to get a Matt Hasslbeck (say) on a one year deal, and let Dalton get groomed for a year before becoming starter. Unless Carson stays another year, you never know.
[/quote]
No way Hass accepts a one year deal anywhere.

Is Dalton really moving up that far. He seemed like just another guy in college to me. The more I read about him the more I like him but to think about him as a Franchise QB and not just a game manager seems like a stretch from what I remember. There is certainly alot to like but is he even as good of a prospect as 3rd round draft choice Colt McCoy?

I would love to see a Hasselbeck, McNabb, Bulger type acquisition as a 1-2 year solution and see McElroy or Kaepernick drafted as the future. McElroy is simply a winner and has better measurables than many give him credit for. Kaepernick is a bit more of a risk but, if he pans out, could be the ultimate steal of this draft.

[quote name='Who Dey Time' timestamp='1302404245' post='982802']
I would love to see a Hasselbeck, McNabb, Bulger type acquisition as a 1-2 year solution and see McElroy or Kaepernick drafted as the future. McElroy is simply a winner and has better measurables than many give him credit for. Kaepernick is a bit more of a risk but, if he pans out, could be the ultimate steal of this draft.
[/quote]

I think McElroy is an incredibly smart QB, but I think it speaks volumes that only one team (the seahawks) attended his personal workout.

Whatever QB we scoop up (I pray it's not this year), is going to need a strong arm. That wind whips across PBS for the last 6 weeks of the season. Carson even seemed to have some trouble with the wind.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1302403448' post='982799']
Is Dalton really moving up that far. He seemed like just another guy in college to me. The more I read about him the more I like him but to think about him as a Franchise QB and not just a game manager seems like a stretch from what I remember. There is certainly alot to like but is he even as good of a prospect as 3rd round draft choice Colt McCoy?
[/quote]
I'm sure the Pats fans were saying similar things about Tom Brady when he got drafted in round 6.

Archived