Federal Car mileage tax?

Ron~Popeil

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

So they have floated the idea of putting a device in our cars to track the miles we drive and tax us for them. Immediately privacy issues come to mind as do personal property issues.

I know it could never realistically be implemented in this country. Average unengaged Americans might even take to the streets over something like this, but it is disturbing to see the idea even contemplated.

dumb idea. tax on gasoline is already a tax on an approximation of how far one drives. Increase the fuel tax by the gallon; make part of the fuel tax follow the price of gasoline; have the feds take a cut based on GVW when you get your tags. Soccer moms, look out!

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1304622568' post='991049']
It's a ridiculous idea. How about we stop subsidizing the oil companies if we want to save money?
[/quote]

why stop at oil companies?

Are there not a whole list of things that are subsidized / funded that could be stopped / cut?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1304692019' post='991252']

Are there not a whole list of things that are subsidized / funded that could be stopped / cut?
[/quote]

oh i was just saying oil companies due to the massive profits they are making

for that matter im ok with getting "government motors" private again now that they just turned its highest profit in a decade

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1304692019' post='991252']

[/quote]

I like this, but I would be scared to pull the plug on everything.

There need to be some kind of sim city to run this on.

[quote name='STRAYCAT' timestamp='1304899463' post='991643']
Need to start using what we have here....but [b]know[/b]...too much gov't regulations in the way. But hey we gave brazil a few billion to help them drill in the gulf.
[/quote]

I see you write this all the time... You do [i]know[/i] the difference, [i]no[/i]?

Archived