Last Shuttle Mission?

MichaelWeston

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1310129543' post='1000039']
And I dont want to do much research. They keep saying tis the last shuttle mission...but they are taking supplies to the international space station????? How do the people at that station get home?
[/quote]

Well, the shuttle will be coming back; not like they're just going to cut it loose and let it float away.

Going forward we'll be paying the Russians [b]hundreds of millions of dollars[/b] for them to shoot us up on their Souyez rockets.

To those over 30, how's [b]that[/b] for irony?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1310130185' post='1000042']
I didnt know this was ending.

Good lord what is wrong with us?
[/quote]

Complacency and apathy by the general public removed any reason for the government to maintain or protect funding. They've been given just enough to get the shuttles up and back, let alone put serious development into a replacement vehicle.

But hey, at least there's always money for wars...

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1310137311' post='1000092']
Its sad there is so much we could be doing to learn about the world outside of us and how it can help us in many ways and we waste our money on killing brown people [b]many of whom have made it their life's mission to kill as many of us as possible[/b].
[/quote]

Fixt.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1310138855' post='1000103']
Its sad there is so much we could be doing to learn about the world outside of us and how it can help us in many ways and we waste our money on killing brown people many of whom have made it their life's mission to kill as many of us as possible and who dared to have oil in their country and not do whatever we told them to do .....
[/quote]
Fixt.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1310137311' post='1000092']
Its sad there is so much we could be doing to learn about the world outside of us and how it can help us in many ways and we waste our money on killing brown people.
[/quote]

I agree but we can still learn tons without manned missions into space. Plus this is only the end of the space shuttle program. There is nothing that says we won't start another similar program up in the future with new goals. I'm sure you could guess I'm all about ways to expand scientific knowledge, but manned shuttle missions is something we can likely live without for a decade or so and put the money to good use elsewhere. Yeah, I laughed to myself as I wrote the phrase "to good use."

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1310138855' post='1000103']
Fixt for ignorance and racism applied in broad strokes.
[/quote]

Fixt

Every thread on this board turns into a Middle East vendetta somehow.

Anyway, as someone who's actually informed on the issue - it was time for the shuttles to go. They were stupendous achievements of science and engineering but never lived up to their lofty goals. Each shuttle was supposed to have a 100-mission lifetime, but NASA didn't foresee the immense amount of refit and repair that each shuttle required between launches. The original design specs called for an EIGHT DAY turnaround per launch. A reusable system is fantastic in theory but they just shot too high with STS.

Subcontracting our launches to the Russians is not a big deal. They do it way cheaper than NASA and they're contracted into the ISS with us, they're going up anyway. FYI, the Russians send Soyuz up all the time, it's better at crew transfer than the shuttle. NASA is going to become a smaller administrative bureau and will begin contracting private companies to launch equipment. Again, these companies do it far cheaper and more efficiently than NASA.

A lot of NASA's "vision for the future", so to speak, was tied up in the new moon program that Obama cut. The entire Ares series of rockets were designed not only to run the Orion system but to support any number of new programs that might be ahead. With all of that cut, NASA doesn't do much outside of maintain existing instruments and the ISS, as well as the new telescope they're putting up in the near future.

Archived