What the......!!

BengalSIS

Bush says US is in Iraq because of attacks on US

WASHINGTON (AFP) -

President George W. Bush defended the war in Iraq, telling Americans the United States was forced into war because of the September 11 terror strikes.

Bush also resisted calls for him to set a timetable for the return of thousands of US troops deployed in Iraq, saying Iraqis must be able to defend their own country before US soldiers can be pulled out.

"We went to war because we were attacked, and we are at war today because there are still people out there who want to harm our country and hurt our citizens," Bush said Saturday in his weekly radio address.

Bush began a public relations offensive to defend the war as his approval rating has dropped well below 50 percent with Americans expressing skepticism about the invasion.

The centerpiece of the campaign will be a speech on June 28, exactly one year after the US-led coalition officially handed over sovereignty to a hand-picked Iraqi provisional government.

"Some may disagree with my decision to remove
Saddam Hussein from power, but all of us can agree that the world's terrorists have now made Iraq a central front in the war on terror," said the president.

"These foreign terrorists violently oppose the rise of a free and democratic Iraq, because they know that when we replace despair and hatred with liberty and hope, they lose their recruiting grounds for terror," he argued.

"Our troops are fighting these terrorists in Iraq so you will not have to face them here at home."

Bush, who was to welcome Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari for his first visit to the White House on Friday, ruled out any hard and fast timetable for withdrawing the 130,000 US soldiers currently deployed in Iraq and made it clear that it will not be anytime soon.

Terrorists "know there is no room for them in a free and democratic Middle East, so the terrorists and insurgents are trying to get us to retreat," he said.

"Their goal is to get us to leave before Iraqis have had a chance to show the region what a government that is elected and truly accountable to its citizens can do for its people."

A June 13 USA Today poll showed that almost six of 10 Americans, 59 percent, want a full or partial pullout of US troops from Iraq.

In a New York Times/CBS News poll among 1,111 adults, Bush's approval rating dropped to 42 percent while 59 percent disapproved of his handling of Iraq.

Lawmakers from both parties, opposition Democrats and Bush's own Republicans, have called for a time frame for withdrawing from Iraq. More than 1,700 US soldiers have been killed there since US and British troops invaded in March 2003.

But the Bush administration has insisted that Iraqi troops must be ready to defend their own country before US troops can return to the United States.

"I am confident that Iraqis will continue to defy the skeptics as they build a new Iraq that represents the diversity of their nation and assumes greater responsibility for their own security," Bush said. "And when they do, our troops can come home with the honor they have earned."

"This mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight. We're fighting a ruthless enemy that relishes the killing of innocent men, women, and children," he said.

"By making their stand in Iraq, the terrorists have made Iraq a vital test for the future security of our country and the free world. We will settle for nothing less than victory."

:blink:

Guest bengalrick
but we did go to war b/c... of 9/11...

maybe not iraq, but we thats why we went... heres the question, take away september 11th, and would we be in war right now?? probably not...

hindsight is 20/20...

I've highlighted what both sides will use in their argument in this one speech... intersting that both are right? hmmm..... (Red will be the Democratic Argument, Blue will be the Republican)

[url="http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/03/20030317-7.html"]http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20030317-7.html[/url]

[quote]THE PRESIDENT: My fellow citizens, events in Iraq have now reached the final days of decision. For more than a decade, the United States and other nations have pursued patient and honorable efforts to disarm the Iraqi regime without war. [color="red"]That regime pledged to reveal and destroy all its weapons of mass destruction as a condition for ending the Persian Gulf War in 1991. [/color]

Since then, the world has engaged in 12 years of diplomacy. [color="blue"]We have passed more than a dozen resolutions in the United Nations Security Council. [/color]We have sent hundreds of weapons inspectors to oversee the disarmament of Iraq. [color="red"]Our good faith has not been returned. [/color]

The Iraqi regime has used diplomacy as a ploy to gain time and advantage. [color="red"]It has uniformly defied Security Council resolutions demanding full disarmament.[/color] Over the years, U.N. weapon inspectors have been threatened by Iraqi officials, electronically bugged, and systematically deceived. Peaceful efforts to disarm the Iraqi regime have failed again and again -- because we are not dealing with peaceful men.

[color="red"]Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised.[/color] [color="blue"]This regime has already used weapons of mass destruction against Iraq's neighbors and against Iraq's people. [/color]

The regime has a history of reckless aggression in the Middle East. It has a deep hatred of America and our friends. [color="blue"]And it has aided, trained and harbored terrorists, including operatives of al Qaeda. [/color]

The danger is clear: using chemical, biological or, one day, nuclear weapons, obtained with the help of Iraq, the terrorists could fulfill their stated ambitions and kill thousands or hundreds of thousands of innocent people in our country, or any other.

The United States and other nations did nothing to deserve or invite this threat. But we will do everything to defeat it. Instead of drifting along toward tragedy, we will set a course toward safety. Before the day of horror can come, before it is too late to act, this danger will be removed.

[color="blue"]The United States of America has the sovereign authority to use force in assuring its own national security.[/color] That duty falls to me, as Commander-in-Chief, by the oath I have sworn, by the oath I will keep.

Recognizing the threat to our country, the United States Congress voted overwhelmingly last year to support the use of force against Iraq. [color="blue"]America tried to work with the United Nations to address this threat because we wanted to resolve the issue peacefully. [/color]We believe in the mission of the United Nations. One reason the U.N. was founded after the second world war was to confront aggressive dictators, actively and early, before they can attack the innocent and destroy the peace.

[color="red"]In the case of Iraq, the Security Council did act, in the early 1990s. Under Resolutions 678 and 687 -- both still in effect -- the United States and our allies are authorized to use force in ridding Iraq of weapons of mass destruction. This is not a question of authority, it is a question of will. [/color]

[color="blue"]Last September, I went to the U.N. General Assembly and urged the nations of the world to unite and bring an end to this danger. On November 8th, the Security Council unanimously passed Resolution 1441, finding Iraq in material breach of its obligations, and vowing serious consequences if Iraq did not fully and immediately disarm.[/color]

[color="red"]Today, no nation can possibly claim that Iraq has disarmed. And it will not disarm so long as Saddam Hussein holds power.[/color] For the last four-and-a-half months, the United States and our allies have worked within the Security Council to enforce that Council's long-standing demands. Yet, some permanent members of the Security Council have publicly announced they will veto any resolution that compels the disarmament of Iraq. These governments share our assessment of the danger, but not our resolve to meet it. Many nations, however, do have the resolve and fortitude to act against this threat to peace, and a broad coalition is now gathering to enforce the just demands of the world. The United Nations Security Council has not lived up to its responsibilities, so we will rise to ours.

In recent days, some governments in the Middle East have been doing their part. They have delivered public and private messages urging the dictator to leave Iraq, so that disarmament can proceed peacefully. He has thus far refused. All the decades of deceit and cruelty have now reached an end. Saddam Hussein and his sons must leave Iraq within 48 hours. Their refusal to do so will result in military conflict, commenced at a time of our choosing. For their own safety, all foreign nationals -- including journalists and inspectors -- should leave Iraq immediately.

Many Iraqis can hear me tonight in a translated radio broadcast, and I have a message for them. If we must begin a military campaign, it will be directed against the lawless men who rule your country and not against you. [color="blue"]As our coalition takes away their power, we will deliver the food and medicine you need. We will tear down the apparatus of terror and we will help you to build a new Iraq that is prosperous and free. [b]In a free Iraq, there will be no more wars of aggression against your neighbors, no more poison factories, no more executions of dissidents, no more torture chambers and rape rooms. The tyrant will soon be gone. The day of your liberation is near. [/b][/color]

It is too late for Saddam Hussein to remain in power. It is not too late for the Iraqi military to act with honor and protect your country by permitting the peaceful entry of coalition forces to [color="red"]eliminate weapons of mass destruction.[/color] Our forces will give Iraqi military units clear instructions on actions they can take to avoid being attacked and destroyed. I urge every member of the Iraqi military and intelligence services, if war comes, do not fight for a dying regime that is not worth your own life.

And all Iraqi military and civilian personnel should listen carefully to this warning. In any conflict, your fate will depend on your action. Do not destroy oil wells, a source of wealth that belongs to the Iraqi people. Do not obey any command to use weapons of mass destruction against anyone, including the Iraqi people. War crimes will be prosecuted. War criminals will be punished. And it will be no defense to say, "I was just following orders."

Should Saddam Hussein choose confrontation, the American people can know that every measure has been taken to avoid war, and every measure will be taken to win it. Americans understand the costs of conflict because we have paid them in the past. War has no certainty, except the certainty of sacrifice.

Yet, the only way to reduce the harm and duration of war is to apply the full force and might of our military, and we are prepared to do so. If Saddam Hussein attempts to cling to power, he will remain a deadly foe until the end. In desperation, he and terrorists groups might try to conduct terrorist operations against the American people and our friends. These attacks are not inevitable. They are, however, possible. And this very fact underscores the reason we cannot live under the threat of blackmail. The terrorist threat to America and the world will be diminished the moment that Saddam Hussein is disarmed.

Our government is on heightened watch against these dangers. Just as we are preparing to ensure victory in Iraq, we are taking further actions to protect our homeland. In recent days, American authorities have expelled from the country certain individuals with ties to Iraqi intelligence services. Among other measures, I have directed additional security of our airports, and increased Coast Guard patrols of major seaports. The Department of Homeland Security is working closely with the nation's governors to increase armed security at critical facilities across America.

Should enemies strike our country, they would be attempting to shift our attention with panic and weaken our morale with fear. In this, they would fail. No act of theirs can alter the course or shake the resolve of this country. We are a peaceful people -- yet we're not a fragile people, and we will not be intimidated by thugs and killers. If our enemies dare to strike us, they and all who have aided them, will face fearful consequences.

We are now acting because the risks of inaction would be far greater. In one year, or five years, the power of Iraq to inflict harm on all free nations would be multiplied many times over. With these capabilities, Saddam Hussein and his terrorist allies could choose the moment of deadly conflict when they are strongest. We choose to meet that threat now, where it arises, before it can appear suddenly in our skies and cities.

The cause of peace requires all free nations to recognize new and undeniable realities. In the 20th century, some chose to appease murderous dictators, whose threats were allowed to grow into genocide and global war. [color="red"]In this century, when evil men plot chemical, biological and nuclear terror, a policy of appeasement could bring destruction of a kind never before seen on this earth. [/color]

Terrorists and terror states do not reveal these threats with fair notice, in formal declarations -- and responding to such enemies only after they have struck first is not self-defense, it is suicide. The security of the world requires disarming Saddam Hussein now.

As we enforce the just demands of the world, we will also honor the deepest commitments of our country. [color="blue"][b]Unlike Saddam Hussein, we believe the Iraqi people are deserving and capable of human liberty And when the dictator has departed, they can set an example to all the Middle East of a vital and peaceful and self-governing nation. .[/b][/color]

[color="blue"][b]The United States, with other countries, will work to advance liberty and peace in that region. Our goal will not be achieved overnight, but it can come over time. The power and appeal of human liberty is felt in every life and every land. And the greatest power of freedom is to overcome hatred and violence, and turn the creative gifts of men and women to the pursuits of peace. [/b][/color]

That is the future we choose. Free nations have a duty to defend our people by uniting against the violent. And tonight, as we have done before, America and our allies accept that responsibility.

Good night, and may God continue to bless America.[/quote]

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 21 2005, 04:59 PM']bin Laden isn't a fucking Iraqi!!!
My god, this is such bullshit. Iraq had nuthin to do with 9/11
[right][post="105604"][/post][/right][/quote]
Young man we got hit on 9/11. We are going after every and any terrorist state and any country that helps in that way. :angry2:

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:59 PM']bin Laden isn't a fucking Iraqi!!!
My god, this is such bullshit. Iraq had nuthin to do with 9/11
[right][post="105604"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Do they teach you anything in special ed class? When Bush went on TV after 911, he stated he was going to go after all our enemy's whether it be Afhganistan or Iraq!

You must have been sleeping

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://lisarein.com/daily/02-09-04-daily-shrub-1-sm.jpg[/img]
[img]http://lisarein.com/daily/02-09-04-daily-shrub-2-sm.jpg[/img]

Guest BlackJesus
[url="http://america.post911timeline.org/"]http://america.post911timeline.org/[/url]

[i][color="red"]
A lot of good links and material here for reading up [/color]
[/i]

Guest bengalrick
jamie, great post in point that out... very informative...

here was one that you missed: "Yet, some permanent members of the Security Council have publicly announced they will veto any resolution that compels the disarmament of Iraq. These governments share our assessment of the danger, but not our resolve to meet it."

that is pretty important, w/ the oil for food scandals that surfaced soon after this...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:44 PM']bush has said alot of things, most of them lies, and most of them without proper grammer or even real words...but he IS still our president and leader.
and thats why this country is FUCKED!
[right][post="105658"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What exactly is it that makes you think it was a lie and not bad information provided to him by a FBI that had major problems?

Also I posted that so that we all can undertand it wasnt JUST, about WMD's.

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://dca.boozle.net/topturkey.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dca.boozle.net/inversion2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://dca.boozle.net/exhibit6.jpg[/img]
[i]"Look at all the shit I'm getting Done"[/i]

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 21 2005, 03:59 PM']bin Laden isn't a fucking Iraqi!!!
[b]My god, this is such bullshit. Iraq had nuthin to do with 9/11[/b]
[right][post="105604"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
No, it isn't bullshit. It has been proven that Saddam had allowed Al-Quaeda operatives to train in his country...Saddam's underlings had also met with Al-Quaeda members...factor in his refusal to disclose what he did or didn't have, plus after 9-11 we took the stance that we'd rather strike first then sit back on our heels and wait to see what happens....well, that doesn't sound like bullshit to me.

And no, Saddam wasn't DIRECTLY involved in the attacks on 9-11, but he has had proven communications with Al-Quaeda...so he got what he deserved...

[i]all he had to do was comply with weapons inspections and security council resolutions....[/i]

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:51 PM'][i]all he had to do was comply with weapons inspections and security council resolutions....[/i]
[right][post="106176"][/post][/right][/quote]

Why is it some people completely overlook that FACT ? :blink:

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Jun 23 2005, 06:50 AM']Why is it some people completely overlook that FACT ?  :blink:
[right][post="106274"][/post][/right][/quote]
It inconveniently destroys any argument that they can come up with....

Whats the big deal if Bush lied, everyone agrees that Saddam needed to go away but everyone is holding on to this notion that he lied!

Whoopity fucking do! He is a politician, thats what politicians do, they lie!
We now have one less rich dictator who hates our guts to worry about

I wonder what all the Bush haters would have said if Saddam would have gotten his hands on a nuclear bomb or a dirty bomb at that and killed a bunch of people right here on our soil? They would be saying that he should have went after him and that it is unexcusable! That he should be impeached for allowing this to happen! Well Saddam is out of the picture, but there will be someone else in another part of the world that needs to be taken down but guess what? All you crybaby sissified ACLU ball hugging MFers have taken away our teeth, we will no longer be able to strike first, now we will have to wait until we're attacked again and then we will have to have it ok'd by the UN and Amnesty International to make sure that we fight fair! They wil be chopping our citizens heads off, but we better not even so much as smart off to their people or our heads will roll a second time!

Lie all you want Bush, lie to me I don't give a rats ass, as long as I can go to the grocery and not have to worry abouyt a suicide bomber I'm fine with it!

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Do any of the blind Bush sheep remember this guy name Osama Bin Laden? Do you know that Bin Laden claimed responsibility for 9/11 and that he's from Saudia Arabia. Do you know that during the first gulf war when Saddam invaded Kuwait and it looked like he was going to go into Saudia Arabia that Bin Laden offered the services of Al-Quadia to attack Iraq. Saddam had no connection to Al-Quada, Iraq had no connection to 9/11, it's a fact. Saddam did let in the inspectors into Iraq and they told the truth, he had no WMD's. The 1,500 member investigative group assembelled by OUR government said the same thing, Saddam had no WMD's.

Bush went before the world and lied about Iraq having WMD's, now he's saying that the WMD's weren't the reason why we invaded Iraq, I thought Kerry was supposed to be the flip-flopper..

Anywars this shit is getting old, lines are drawn, Bush supporters will defend him regardless of what he says or does. Regardless of how many facts come out that Bush lied about his reasons for going to war, his supporters are will defend him....blind bush sheep. <_<

9/11 didn't give us the right to attack who ever Bush felt like attacking, 9/11 didn't give him a license to attack whomever he pleased. Just because his adminstration dropped the ball and did nothing with the numerous reports warning them about Al-Quada doesn't mean that he can settle his personal vendettas and make money for his cronies by sending thousands of young Americans to their death in Iraq. This war is wrong, I have deep amount of respect for the soldiers and what they do, but this war is wrong.

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='Jun 23 2005, 11:51 AM']Do any of the blind Bush sheep remember this guy name Osama Bin Laden?  Do you know that Bin Laden claimed responsibility for 9/11 and that he's from Saudia Arabia.  Do you know that during the first gulf war when Saddam invaded Kuwait and it looked like he was going to go into Saudia Arabia that Bin Laden offered the services of Al-Quadia to attack Iraq.  Saddam had no connection to Al-Quada, Iraq had no connection to 9/11, it's a fact.  Saddam did let in the inspectors into Iraq and they told the truth, he had no WMD's.  The 1,500 member investigative group assembelled by OUR government said the same thing, Saddam had no WMD's.

Bush went before the world and lied about Iraq having WMD's, now he's saying that the WMD's weren't the reason why we invaded Iraq, I thought Kerry was supposed to be the flip-flopper..

Anywars this shit is getting old, lines are drawn, Bush supporters will defend him regardless of what he says or does.  Regardless of how many facts come out that Bush lied about his reasons for going to war, his supporters are will defend him....blind bush sheep. <_<  

9/11 didn't give us the right to attack who ever Bush felt like attacking, 9/11 didn't give him a license to attack whomever he pleased.  Just because his adminstration dropped the ball and did nothing with the numerous reports warning them about Al-Quada doesn't mean that he can settle his personal vendettas and make money for his cronies by sending thousands of young Americans to their death in Iraq.  This war is wrong, I have deep amount of respect for the soldiers and what they do, but this war is wrong.
[right][post="106326"][/post][/right][/quote]

Well yes lines are draw just like u wont admit this has done some good. and see every reason to accuse him of everything..... so yeah...... its bullshit both ways

Nobody has told me why they think it is it was a lie and not misinfomation given to him by the intelligence community that I have show you and we all can admit had major problems. There is a difference, why do you think it was a lie?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:08 PM']Nobody has told me why they think it is it was a lie and not misinfomation given to him by the intelligence community that I have show you and we all can admit had major problems. There is a difference, why do you think it was a lie?
[right][post="106330"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
once again, because then there would be no case to say bush is a horrible liar. That would mean that people on every side of politics was wrong

[quote name='whodey319' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:16 PM']once again, because then there would be no case to say bush is a horrible liar.  [b]That would mean that people on every side of politics was wrong[/b]
[right][post="106335"][/post][/right][/quote]

You mean neither side has it completly right? :blink:

Naw thats not possible. :P

Archived