Jay Gruden plans a running back-by-committee offense in Cincinnati

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1330529631' post='1100442']

I would think it would be hard to argue that they said anything wrong...
[/quote]

I think it's hard to argue they said anything right. In '09, they built the O around Ced, Scott got limited touches, but he started two games, running for over 100 yards in one, and I believe 87 in the second, on 19 carries. Until this year, he averaged over 4.5 yards per carry. Leonard has been a first down machine in the third back position, his only problem has been staying healthy. Looking at the type of WCO that the Gruden boys ran in Tampa, both of them fit way better than Ced does. If you're going to run a Committee approach at RB, these are both really good committee men. to say less is myopic at least, and ludicrous at best.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1330533930' post='1100463']

I think it's hard to argue they said anything right. In '09, they built the O around Ced, Scott got limited touches, but he started two games, running for over 100 yards in one, and I believe 87 in the second, on 19 carries. Until this year, he averaged over 4.5 yards per carry. Leonard has been a first down machine in the third back position, his only problem has been staying healthy. Looking at the type of WCO that the Gruden boys ran in Tampa, both of them fit way better than Ced does. If you're going to run a Committee approach at RB, these are both really good committee men. to say less is myopic at least, and ludicrous at best.
[/quote]

So you're prepared to take a sample size like Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard have shown into the season as a RB by committee system? I'm glad you're not in charge. With the amount of PT Scott and Leonard have seen, I'd be very hesitant to go into a season with them as my RB's even if they dominated on the opportunities they were given, and I think the description of their play isn't anywhere near that. The same thing happens with the Reds almost every season, people say Ohhh Johnny Gomes hit 20 HR's in 250 at bats, i'll bet he'd hit 40-50 if he played every day. I don't think stats like these translate considering the amount of reps they've had in games, and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with them as the backfield at all.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1330537574' post='1100480']
Lamichael James at 21. I would love the pick, and would love it even more because a lot of people on here would hate it.
[/quote]

I'd be okay with that. He at least has the potential to be a gamebreaker and make a huge play. The fact that he's been injury prone in college and his small frame would concern me though. He would also be a good receiver out of the backfield. I'd still love to see Trent Richardson but i'm sure it won't happen.

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1330537709' post='1100483']

I'd be okay with that. He at least has the potential to be a gamebreaker and make a huge play. The fact that he's been injury prone in college and his small frame would concern me though.
[/quote]
His injury to his knee would be my biggest concern too but he had played through some other injuries and is tough. I think his frame is big enough to hold some more weight without losing his explosiveness. Some disagree I know but that's the beauty of the NFL draft.

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1330537077' post='1100474']

So you're prepared to take a sample size like Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard have shown into the season as a RB by committee system? I'm glad you're not in charge. With the amount of PT Scott and Leonard have seen, I'd be very hesitant to go into a season with them as my RB's even if they dominated on the opportunities they were given, and I think the description of their play isn't anywhere near that. The same thing happens with the Reds almost every season, people say Ohhh Johnny Gomes hit 20 HR's in 250 at bats, i'll bet he'd hit 40-50 if he played every day. I don't think stats like these translate considering the amount of reps they've had in games, and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with them as the backfield at all.
[/quote]

I don't know that kenneth is saying that either leonard or scott should get a bulk of carries in a committee, but both have shown that they have value in a committee.

Particularly Brian Leonard is the exact type of back Gruden seems to be looking for. Not sure he can be a 200 carry guy, but I certainly think he can take his touches from 39 (17 rush 22 receive) to 100 or slightly over. Leonard was in on 22% of all plays. By comparison Benson was in on 54%

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1330537077' post='1100474']

[/quote]

Not by themselves, you would still need to add another back, but a Martin, Miller, James, or Polk would fit well, and I probably like Martin the best for what they do.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1330537574' post='1100480']
Lamichael James at 21. I would love the pick, and would love it even more because a lot of people on here would hate it.
[/quote]
That would be such an enormous reach. If they love him, they can get him in round 2.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1330539733' post='1100538']
Not after his 4.45 40, James will be gone by the time we pick in round two, count on it
[/quote]

he very well might be gone, but that doesn't mean he's not an enormous reach at 21. What it does mean though is that if he's gone before pick 53, all that does is push another good RB down to the Bengals.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1330539733' post='1100538']
Not after his 4.45 40, James will be gone by the time we pick in round two, count on it
[/quote]
Seriously?

He very may well be gone before our 2nd round pick (although I highly highly doubt it) but there's just no way in hell him running a 4.45 propels him over the likes of Miller, Wilson and Martin (who most view as reaches with the 21st pick).

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1330539824' post='1100539']
I hate to be Captain Obvious here, but do you really see a team trading up to take a running back that is just going to be part of a running back by committee system? I don't.
[/quote]

Hard to say what's true this time of year - there's a lot of smoke blowing by teams to throw off the scent.

Who knows if Gruden's telling the truth about the RB by committee thing, or even if so, that if they were able to get TRich, all bets would be off?

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1330540257' post='1100548']

Hard to say what's true this time of year - there's a lot of smoke blowing by teams to throw off the scent.

Who knows if Gruden's telling the truth about the RB by committee thing, or even if so, that if they were able to get TRich, all bets would be off?
[/quote]

that's the rub. Pretty sure in the Hobson article Gruden says he's OPEN to a committee, not that he's set on it. Yet the PFT article in post one implies that its already been decided. In that same article.

[quote][color=#393939]but if you do get a big-time guy like Trent (Richardson) then I'm not opposed to giving him the ball 30 times."[/color][/quote]

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1330540205' post='1100547']

Seriously?

He very may well be gone before our 2nd round pick (although I highly highly doubt it) [b] but there's just no way in hell him running a 4.45 propels him over the likes of Miller, Wilson and Martin [/b](who most view as reaches with the 21st pick).
[/quote]
No it won't, but combined with his game footage and production he is clearly a better back than all those guys. You guys are just blinded by the fact that James was in a prolific offense but he is no system back. He's legit and whichever team drafts him is getting a star. I hope it's us and I don't really care what number it's at.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' timestamp='1330540813' post='1100565']
No it won't, but combined with his game footage and production he is clearly a better back than all those guys. You guys are just blinded by the fact that James was in a prolific offense but he is no system back. He's legit and whichever team drafts him is getting a star. I hope it's us and I don't really care what number it's at.
[/quote]
I don't dislike James, I just really dislike him with the 21st pick. Nobody has him rated over the other 3 who have equally as impressive tape from pro style offenses. They are all bigger and the speed differences are negligible. He's 5'7 and 190 pounds. That's nowhere near big enough to be an every down back and if you're drafting him at 21 that's what you are expecting him to be. I'd be happy with him in the 3rd round if we signed Michael Bush as the starter.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1330542126' post='1100600']

I don't dislike James, I just really dislike him with the 21st pick. Nobody has him rated over the other 3 who have equally as impressive tape from pro style offenses. They are all bigger and the speed differences are negligible. He's 5'7 and 190 pounds. That's nowhere near big enough to be an every down back and if you're drafting him at 21 that's what you are expecting him to be. I'd be happy with him in the 3rd round if we signed Michael Bush as the starter.
[/quote]
agree to disagree I guess, I have been watching James a lot though and he's a guy that will be tearing it up on sundays, I have no doubt about it.

[quote name='akiliMVP' timestamp='1330542126' post='1100600']
[/quote]

this (though technically he's 5'8 194).

I like James, but at 21 he's a pretty big reach.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1330465529' post='1100266']

Glad you two aren't running the team.
[/quote]

I'm glad no "fan" is running the team.
Dogs can see Benson has a step on Scott. The other guys are very limited role players.
If we go into the season with these three as the "committee" I sure hope the passing game is excellent..

Archived