HDMI "Problem"

Jason

I have 4 devices that use HDMI and only 2 HDMI ports on my TV. I am trying to find a way to "solve" this "problem".

I have considered a new TV. Part of me wants a larger and plasma anyway, but all the TVs I have looked at online only have 2 HDMI ports as well.

So I have looked into a couple of HDMI splitters. The ones I have looked into have a lot of really bad reviews and a few really good ones.

Does anyone have experience with an HDMI splitter?

Yep, bought one a few years back as our TV only had one HDMI port. One would think that improvements would have been made over the intervening 5 years, but doesn't sound like it.

While you won't experience a degradation in sound once you've switched the port per se, getting it to switch cleanly is the problem. Often times you have to switch back and forth a number of times to get a clean connection or power cycle it. You'll experience static in the picture, or a loud, irritating feedback. I went through 3 or 4 models and they all did the same thing, so I just went with the one that did it least.

If I had the same issue today I'd probably just buy a new TV FWIW.

My 2 shekels...

all mid-high end tv's have 4 ports, i have this problem as well. i got a 3 to 1 splitter off amazin for $13, no quality loss at all but the remote is weak as all hell, so i often have to get within 6 feet for it to work. but aside from that its fine..

word on the street is samsungs new line of tvs for xmas and 2013 are going to have directv software built in to eliminate the need for a receiver, so that will free up one spot, so 1 for apple tv and 1 for blu ray and im good with 2 if need be.. i dont use my roku now that apple tv has hulu...

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1347122555' post='1155355']
all mid-high end tv's have 4 ports, i have this problem as well. i got a 3 to 1 splitter off amazin for $13, no quality loss at all but the remote is weak as all hell, so i often have to get within 6 feet for it to work. but aside from that its fine..

[b]word on the street is samsungs new line of tvs for xmas and 2013 are going to have directv software built in to eliminate the need for a receiver[/b], so that will free up one spot, so 1 for apple tv and 1 for blu ray and im good with 2 if need be.. i dont use my roku now that apple tv has hulu...
[/quote]

holy shit.. that is bad ass

[quote name='fluhartz' timestamp='1347246825' post='1155674']
holy shit.. that is bad ass
[/quote]
looks like they announced it back in january... but nothing really released since...

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1347270842' post='1155719']
Why go for plasma? LED is the way to go nowadays I hear. Power consumption (and therefore heat generation) is off the charts with plasma compared with LCD and LED.
[/quote]

plasma has better picture, LED is thinner, lighter and doesnt double as a space heater in your room.

I use a splitter on my TV...fuckin samsung's 2012 low-mid range LEDs only had 3 inputs (which was nearly a deal breaker for me but i went for it anyway because the picture quality was so good) and I used to use the splitter on my old TV w/2 HDMI inputs

anyway...it was about 15 bucks on amazon and it switches automatically between 3 devices.

The way I have it set up now (with only 2 devices attatched) is with my blu ray player on the highest priority and my xbox on the second highest because i use it more frequently.That way which ever of the two devices is on will automatically be selected...and if both are on it will select the highest priority, blu ray in my case.

I used to use it with my computer as the 3rd priority because it was always on. Whenever i turned on the xbox or blu ray it would auto switch over

Archived