Cutter: Romney, Ryan 'entire reason' Libya attack is political issue

bengalrick

Please tell me none of you on this board agree with this??? Please dear Lord...

[url="http://thehill.com/video/campaign/261539-cutter-libya-attacks-have-become-of-political-issue-because-of-romney-and-ryan"]http://thehill.com/video/campaign/261539-cutter-libya-attacks-have-become-of-political-issue-because-of-romney-and-ryan[/url]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Obama deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter is coming under intense criticism from Republicans for saying the "entire reason" the attacks on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, had become a political topic was "because of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan."[/i][/font][/color]

[i][color=#000000][font=Georgia]Cutter was responding to a question about the continuing investigation into the terrorist attack on the consulate in Libya that left four Americans dead, and arguing that the administration was working to get "to the bottom of that attack to figure out what happened and bringing the people to justice."[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia]But Cutter then accused Republicans of playing politics with the issue, and said pressure from the Romney campaign was the "entire reason" the issue had persisted.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Georgia]"We would have told the American people what we knew and, you know, in terms of the politicization of this — we're here at a debate, and I hope we get to talk about the debate — but the entire reason that this has become the, you know, political topic it is, is because of Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan. It's a big part of their stump speech and it's reckless and irresponsible," Cutter said during her interview with CNN.[/font][/color][/i]
[i][color=#000000][font=Georgia]Cutter was interrupted by the host of the program, who argued "the American people have a right to answers."[/font][/color][/i]

[i]"Right, absolutely," Cutter said.

Romney quickly seized on the issue, responding sharply to the charge during a campaign rally in Asheville, N.C.[/i][/font][/color]
[i]“No President Obama,” Romney said. “It’s an issue because this is the first time in 33 years a U.S. ambassador has been assassinated. It’s an issue because … we were attacked by terrorists on the anniversary of 9/11. [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]“This is an issue because Americans wonder why it was it took so long for you … to admit this was a terrorist attack. This is a very serious issue, these are very serious questions and the American people deserve very serious answers, and I hope they come soon.”[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]While Romney's campaign has used Libya as a starting point for its criticism of Obama's foreign policy, it has also come under criticism from other quarters. [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Cutter's remarks came a day after the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee held a hearing on whether security lapses at the consulate were a factor in the deaths of U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and three others. [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Lawmakers from both parties have requested information about the incident. Even Jon Stewart, the liberal host of "The Daily Show," has mocked the administration's story about what happened in Libya. Administration officials initially emphasized the role of an anti-Islam film posted on YouTube in the attack in Benghazi before saying it was a terrorist attack.[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Ryan Williams, a spokesman for the Romney campaign, tweeted that Cutter's comments were "outrageous" and would be "the story of the day." [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]He added that the interview was "very rough."

But Cutter stuck with her message, tweeting a few minutes later that "Romney has politicized Libya [with] no plans of his own," and said the president's "priorities are getting facts and bringing terrorists to justice."[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Cutter later released a statement that noted Romney had come under criticism for his reaction to the attack on the U.S. embassy in Cairo, which also took place on Sept. 11 — the day the U.S. Consulate in Libya was attacked. [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Romney had condemned the administration for a statement from the U.S. Embassy in Egypt that criticized an anti-Islamic film for being insensitive. A mob attacked the U.S. Embassy in Cairo in response to the film, and the embassy had sought to cool tempers before the attack with its statement. Romney's statement said it was akin to an apology over U.S. values of free speech.[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]Romney's condemnation was deemed insensitive by some on both sides of the aisle at the time because it was released just as the U.S. was learning of the death of Stevens. [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]“From the time of the attack in Libya, Mitt Romney has stopped at nothing to politicize these events," Cutter said in a statement.[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]"While Mitt Romney, Congressman Ryan, and their Republican allies in Congress have turned a national tragedy into a political circus, the President has been focused on getting the facts, finding the terrorists responsible, and bringing them to justice. Our nation’s security and how we handle the transitions in the Middle East and North Africa are critical issues in this campaign, and just 26 days before an election, the American people deserve real ideas and specifics from Mitt Romney.” [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]White House spokesman Josh Earnest told reporters on Air Force One on Thursday that he had not discussed the Oversight Committee's hearing with Obama. [/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]He said Obama "does feel an obligation to the American people to share with them what happened and what steps we’re going to take to minimize the threat or at least reduce the threat to our diplomats, who are doing some very dangerous but important work in countries all around the world."[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]At the White House press briefing on Wednesday, press secretary Jay Carney said officials had initially spoken "based on the facts we knew at the time" and that the White House has always insisted "this was an ongoing investigation."[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i]"This is a moving picture," Carney said, adding that "our sole interest — the president's sole interest — is to find out exactly what happened."[/i][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Georgia]
[i][i]—This story was updated at 4:36 p.m. and 7:03 p.m[/i].[/i][/font][/color]

She needs to be drop kicked out of her office. To blame the high amount of coverage of the attack on Romney and Ryan is ludicrous.

What I would like to know is, was the American flag saved? Where were the Marines that protect these places? With all the turmoil in Libya why was there not more protection? (Clearly Obama's blame on that, or whomever in the state department that didn't bring it to his attention) If there were Marines there what happened to them?

I'm just going to put something my cousin and former soldier and was there when the "black hawk down" happened said, he's dead on right.

[quote][color=#333333]Stop blaming the President for the attacks on embassies. None of our Presidents have ever been able to stop it. It will continue even if Romney gets elected and whom ever comes after him. (This is not a message in support of Obama either, he's still an idiot and horrible at the job.)[/color]

[color=#333333]Gunmen on motorcycles killed two consulate guards.[/color]
[color=#333333]• July 30, 2004, U.S. embassy in Taskkent, Uzbekistan[/color]
[color=#333333]Suicid[/color][color=#333333]e bomber kills two.
• December 6, 2004, U.S. consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Militants stormed and occupied perimeter wall. Five killed, 10 wounded.
• March 2, 2006, U.S. consulate in Karachi, Pakistan
Suicide car bomber killed four, including a U.S. diplomate directly targeted by the assailants.
• September 12, 2006, U.S. embassy in Damascus, Syria
Gunmen attacked embassy with grenades, automatic weapons, and a car bomb
(though second truck bomb failed to detonate). One killed and 13
wounded.
• January 12, 2007, U.S. embassy in Athens, Greece A rocket-propelled grenade was fired at the embassy building. No one was injured.
• July 9, 2008, U.S. consulate in Istanbul, Turkey
Armed men attacked consulate with pistols and shotguns. Three policemen killed.
•March 18, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Mortar attack misses embassy, hits nearby girls' school instead.
• September 17, 2008, U.S. embassy in Sana'a, Yemen
Militants dressed as policemen attacked the embassy with RPGs, rifles,
grenades and car bombs. Six Yemeni soldiers and seven civilians were
killed. Sixteen more were injured.[/color]
[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1350003798' post='1169081']
I'm just going to put something my cousin and former soldier and was there when the "black hawk down" happened said, he's dead on right.
[/quote]

How can you not blame Obama for increasing the number of people there to protect the embassy? This is a very unique situation that doesn't fit into any of the previous ones you posted. Libya just had a national revolt where they killed their former leader Gaddafi.

Edit: Let me also say, if Obama wants to take credit for making the decision to kill Bin Laden, he needs to step up and take the responsibility for not defending the embassy better.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350004097' post='1169083']
How can you not blame Obama for increasing the number of people there to protect the embassy? This is a very unique situation that doesn't fit into any of the previous ones you posted. Libya just had a national revolt where they killed their former leader Gaddafi.

Edit: Let me also say, if Obama wants to take credit for making the decision to kill Bin Laden, he needs to step up and take the responsibility for not defending the embassy better.
[/quote]

Stop Monday Morning QBing this, my cousin is right.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1350004516' post='1169085']
Stop Monday Morning QBing this, my cousin is right.
[/quote]

During my lifetime, I've seen the U.S. pull their embassy personnel for lesser disturbances. Obama, Hillary, and the whole department dropped the ball. I'm not going to say Hillary was ever pretty, but damn her face looks like an old catchers mitt now.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350004709' post='1169086']
During my lifetime, I've seen the U.S. pull their embassy personnel for lesser disturbances. Obama, Hillary, and the whole department dropped the ball. I'm not going to say Hillary was ever pretty, but damn her face looks like an old catchers mitt now.
[/quote]

Then he isnt the first president to drop the ball, and he wont be the last.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1350005372' post='1169088']
Then he isnt the first president to drop the ball, and he wont be the last.
[/quote]

[i]“It’s an issue because this is the first time in 33 years a U.S. ambassador has been assassinated. It’s an issue because … we were attacked by terrorists on the anniversary of 9/11."[/i]

[i]Nahh... Obama didn't drop the ball. All presidents have done thi..... oh wait, 33 years? No shit... [/i]

[i]How is this defendable?[/i]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1350003798' post='1169081']
[/quote]

He's right, attacks are not to blame. It is a dangerous world. However the lack of security for him and the fact that SOMEONE died kind of puts this into a different category as a simple attack, wouldn't you say?

[quote name='bengalrick' timestamp='1350015714' post='1169183']
To me a mark of a good leader is taking credit for when things go wrong and learning from your mistakes. Not passing the buck and blaming everything and everybody but yourself...

So far we can blame the youtube video, Bush, and Romney for this one.
[/quote]

Don't forget to blame the gun laws in the U.S. What? You say this happened where? Wait we can't control another country's gun laws? Well blame Canada then.

[quote name='bengalrick' timestamp='1350015640' post='1169182']
[i]“It’s an issue because this is the first time in 33 years a U.S. ambassador has been assassinated. It’s an issue because … we were attacked by terrorists on the anniversary of 9/11."[/i]

[i]Nahh... Obama didn't drop the ball. All presidents have done thi..... oh wait, 33 years? No shit... [/i]

[i]How is this defendable?[/i]
[/quote]

[b][i]WHY ARE YOU ITALICIZING YOUR TEXT??[/i][/b]

The point remains Rick that you arent going to stop attacks on these places, the list I provided showed that.

Guys-

In case you weren't aware, embassies exists at the behest of their host countries. This applies across the board. What that means is that the security for the embassies is not the responsibility of the foreign embassy itself, rather, that of the host nation. Foreign countries are NOT going to allow ANY country to establish what amounts to a military outpost on their soil, replete with machine gun turrets, etc. Its not the way it works. The small detachment of Marines at each embassy aren't actually tasked with the security of the embassy itself as their primary mission, rather, the procurement or destruction of sensitive documents therein.

Hope this helps, fools.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1350016723' post='1169196']
Guys-

In case you weren't aware, embassies exists at the behest of their host countries. This applies across the board. What that means is that the security for the embassies is not the responsibility of the foreign embassy itself, rather, that of the host nation. Foreign countries are NOT going to allow ANY country to establish what amounts to a military outpost on their soil, replete with machine gun turrets, etc. Its not the way it works. The small detachment of Marines at each embassy aren't actually tasked with the security of the embassy itself as their primary mission, rather, the procurement or destruction of sensitive documents therein.

Hope this helps, fools.
[/quote]

You are half right. There are Marines inside the embassies which is considered U.S. territory, but not outside the gates. Trust me I was almost arrested when I was in Bulgaria for taking a picture of the U.S. embassy. Thank goodness I had someone with me that spoke their language or I was going to jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200. Like I said in an earlier post, the smart move would have been to pull all the people out of the embassy, until things in the region became more stable.

If you haven't seen it, but there is a movie that mimics these circumstances called 'Rules of Engagement' staring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350017029' post='1169201']
You are half right. There are Marines inside the embassies which is considered U.S. territory, but not outside the gates. Trust me I was almost arrested when I was in Bulgaria for taking a picture of the U.S. embassy. Thank goodness I had someone with me that spoke their language or I was going to jail, do not pass go and do not collect $200. Like I said in an earlier post, the smart move would have been to pull all the people out of the embassy, until things in the region became more stable.
[/quote]

No, I am totally right. Like you said, there isn't some kind of strong US military presence (if any) guarding the outside of the embassies. The security of them is a mutual agreement between the host country and the foreign one, meaning the foreign host bears the responsibility of not allowing violent people, protesters or whatever to overrun the embassy, regardless of nation. The Marines aren't there to have an Alamo-style shootout just in case...in the case of Libya, they failed (ironic in the sense that we just helped them overthrow Ghaddaffi....enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that jazz).

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1350017381' post='1169205']
No, I am totally right. Like you said, there isn't some kind of strong US military presence (if any) guarding the outside of the embassies. The security of them is a mutual agreement between the host country and the foreign one, meaning the foreign host bears the responsibility of not allowing violent people, protesters or whatever to overrun the embassy, regardless of nation. The Marines aren't there to have an Alamo-style shootout just in case...in the case of Libya, they failed (ironic in the sense that we just helped them overthrow Ghaddaffi....enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that jazz).
[/quote]

...but there are Marines inside the embassy. The thing you have to remember is this isn't a surprising uproar. This has been building since the last days of Gaddafi. That ambassador and everyone else should have not been there.

Besides riding in Marine one, which is the helicopter the President uses, working at an embassy is one of the high level jobs a Marine can hope for.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350017634' post='1169207']
...but there are Marines inside the embassy. The thing you have to remember is this isn't a surprising uproar. This has been building since the last days of Gaddafi. That ambassador and everyone else should have not been there.

Besides riding in Marine one, which is the helicopter the President uses, working at an embassy is one of the high level jobs a Marine can hope for.
[/quote]

C'mon man. It's a cushy assignment for a Marine by and large. And if this was building up so much as you say (and yes, I know the ambassador called for additional security at some point) then we would have gotten them out of there. Again: you misunderstand the role of the Marines in this instance. Its a very small detachment, usually like four dudes, and they don't have any kind of advanced weaponry on hand. Their job isn't security for the infiltration of the embassy. Its to preserve/destroy sensitive documents and assist in getting people the fuck out of there should it come to that. They aren't going to take on an armed mob in defense of the embassy with a couple assault rifles and some pistols.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1350017956' post='1169210']
C'mon man. It's a cushy assignment for a Marine by and large. And if this was building up so much as you say (and yes, I know the ambassador called for additional security at some point) then we would have gotten them out of there. Again: you misunderstand the role of the Marines in this instance. Its a very small detachment, usually like four dudes, and they don't have any kind of advanced weaponry on hand. Their job isn't security for the infiltration of the embassy. Its to preserve/destroy sensitive documents and assist in getting people the fuck out of there should it come to that. They aren't going to take on an armed mob in defense of the embassy with a couple assault rifles and some pistols.
[/quote]

But that begs the question, where are they? What happened to them?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350018152' post='1169212']
But that begs the question, where are they? What happened to them?
[/quote]

Got the fuck outta there? I have no idea. Maybe all embassies aren't staffed with Marines..especially ones that should be "greeting us as liberators". I don't know the answer to that, but based on the conflagration, they wouldn't have made much of a difference. Just more dead Americans.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1350018479' post='1169213']
Got the fuck outta there? I have no idea. Maybe all embassies aren't staffed with Marines..especially ones that should be "greeting us as liberators". I don't know the answer to that, but based on the conflagration, they wouldn't have made much of a difference. Just more dead Americans.
[/quote]

I was a Marine and I know one thing, the saying 'Never Leave a Man Behind," is not just a motto but a way of life. It was Libya, if you were the ambassador there, would you have some Marines on hand? I sure as hell know I would. You stated yourself that he asked for more defense. Flat out, someone in the government screwed up, and from things I have seen, the President gets a report every morning containing everything he needs to know. I just think Obama has become arrogant when it comes to matters like this.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1350015986' post='1169187']
[b][i]WHY ARE YOU ITALICIZING YOUR TEXT??[/i][/b]

The point remains Rick that you arent going to stop attacks on these places, the list I provided showed that.
[/quote]

I put other peoples quotes in italics... Then I add my own but it wasn't taking them off. I gave up and just sent it. I'll try to mind my forum manners better from here on out so I don't get anything confused :25:

The point remains that if you expect attacks, either shut down the embassy or give them more security. The list you showed me tells me these ambassadors should have mass security around them. Not to just say 'well shucks, that sucks... buts its a, b, or c's fault'

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1350016723' post='1169196']
Guys-

Hope this helps, fools.
[/quote]

interesting... It does help somewhat. Honest question Bung, why were they asking for more help though? And these guys are completely at the mercy of the host nations security?

In that case, we shouldn't have an embassy in Libya imo. But if you are right (you have much more experience with this than I do) then I really am Monday morning QB'ing and I'll shut up about that part.

None the less, don't blame the Romney admin for keeping this in the news. This is a serious affair... Is that a fair assessment in your opinion Bung?

Archived