!!!THE RAIDERS @ BENGALS GAME THREAD!!!

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1353898713' post='1184955']
Whitworth acted like a buffoon. No one else was offended but he decided to take it upon himself to go try and shove Houston to the ground. Then proceeded to get beat up. People get this knee jerk reaction that QB on ground = me go do some dumb to 'defend' him. Ignorant.

Its the same thing as the call the refs missed. Really, if done right, the Raiders should have had the ball at the spot of their recovery, since the whistle was blown and Sanu gave up. But the rules are so finely delineated that doing the right thing is often not possible due to the minutia defined jargon.

Ultimately, you have to use sound judgment.

Those of you supporting Whits actions are only doing it because you're Bengals fans. If it were another team's player who acted like that against the Bengals, you'd be like, "Damn, he has no sense... Houston was not trying to hurt anyone." That, and the excitement of winning and having beaten up Palmer.
[/quote]

Nice theory. Too bad the player interviews and Marvin don't back you up.

Whitworth acted like a buffoon. No one else was offended but he decided to take it upon himself to go try and shove Houston to the ground. Then proceeded to get beat up. People get this knee jerk reaction that QB on ground = me go do some dumb to 'defend' him. Ignorant.

Its the same thing as the call the refs missed. Really, if done right, the Raiders should have had the ball at the spot of their recovery, since the whistle was blown and Sanu gave up. But the rules are so finely delineated that doing the right thing is often not possible due to the minutia defined jargon.

Those of you supporting Whits actions are only doing it because you're Bengals fans. If it were another team's player who acted like that against the Bengals, you'd be like, "Damn, he has no sense... Houston was not trying to hurt anyone." That, and the excitement of winning and having beaten up Palmer.
[/quote]

While I might agree on paper, I feel compelled to point out:

[size=8]34-10!!![/size]

Woot!

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1353898847' post='1184960']
Nice theory. Too bad the player interviews and Marvin don't back you up.
[/quote]

There's no theory involved. After Marvin Lewis and the pressers and all the story is getting befuddled a little. They have to stand up for him because he's one of the deans and his philosophy of protecting his QB is a good one. Actually, the in game replays showed it most accurately. Whit is the one who ran up to Houston and got up in his face talking and his arms tried a little shove action. Houston hung onto him and kept the wrestling going. Hell, there wasn't even a flag for late hit. The whistle was still blowing, granted it was blowing for the 6th time or something...

Stand up for the QB by not letting him get hit in the first place.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1353898888' post='1184961']

[size=8]34-10!!![/size]

Woot!
[/quote]

No doubt. It was a good win. Looking forward to playing this well the rest of the year. Again, playing like this, we can beat Balt and Pitt solidly, and could be dangerous in the playoffs.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1353900364' post='1185000']
There's no theory involved. After Marvin Lewis and the pressers and all the story is getting befuddled a little. They have to stand up for him because he's one of the deans and his philosophy of protecting his QB is a good one. Actually, the in game replays showed it most accurately. Whit is the one who ran up to Houston and got up in his face talking and his arms tried a little shove action. Houston hung onto him and kept the wrestling going. Hell, there wasn't even a flag for late hit. The whistle was still blowing, granted it was blowing for the 6th time or something...

No doubt. It was a good win. Looking forward to playing this well the rest of the year. Again, playing like this, we can beat Balt and Pitt solidly, and could be dangerous in the playoffs.
[/quote]

[url="https://twitter.com/andydalton14"][s]@[/s][b]andydalton14[/b][/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]: Proud of the team. Always good to know guys got your back! Who Dey!”[/background][/font][/color]

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]> Stand up for the QB by not letting him get hit in the first place.[/font][/color][/i]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kind of hard to do when there isn't an actual play happening. They whistled it dead before he even started [/font][/color]

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1353900364' post='1185000']

[/quote]

This is one of the few times I have to disagree with you. This was a turning point moment for this team. An "in your face" way of showing the rest of the NFL that we aren't going to take crap from any team. It was a Stooler / Ratbird type of moment and it also happens to be a moment the Raiders fans loved as well (you should read their game thread). We needed this moment and it fired up our team which rallied the young guys into a team mentality and a "us against the world effect." That's why Marvin backed Whit on the issue of the fight. Marvin knows what these turning points can do for a team. They make a team, ...a real team.

Football is very much an emotional game.

[/quote]
I almost always agree with your posts. But not this time. The guy threw Dalton to the ground 3 seconds after the whistle.

It was a very late throw-down, but I don't think it was to hurt him. There was frustration there of course, but it was probably intended to rattle Dalton more than anything.

Whitworth obviously didn't like that very much. When I re-watched it, it looked like Whit held back for a few seconds before rushing over. I can't say whether the hesitation was because he was still processing what had happened and hadn't made a decision yet, or maybe something was said that made him run over.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1353935266' post='1185082']
It was a very late throw-down, but I don't think it was to hurt him. There was frustration there of course, but it was probably intended to rattle Dalton more than anything.

Whitworth obviously didn't like that very much. When I re-watched it, it looked like Whit held back for a few seconds before rushing over. I can't say whether the hesitation was because he was still processing what had happened and hadn't made a decision yet, or maybe something was said that made him run over.
[/quote]

it seemed it took him a moment to notice that Dalton was on the ground on a non-play.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1353900430' post='1185002']
[url="https://twitter.com/andydalton14"][s]@[/s][b]andydalton14[/b][/url][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]: Proud of the team. Always good to know guys got your back! Who Dey!”[/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

After the fact, I wouldn't be like, "I wish he would have chilled... he could have cost us." Then his LT would think, "Damn, I got his back but he doesn't have mine."

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1353918403' post='1185057']
This is one of the few times I have to disagree with you. This was a turning point moment for this team. An "in your face" way of showing the rest of the NFL that we aren't going to take crap from any team. It was a Stooler / Ratbird type of moment and it also happens to be a moment the Raiders fans loved as well (you should read their game thread). We needed this moment and it fired up our team which rallied the young guys into a team mentality and a "us against the world effect." That's why Marvin backed Whit on the issue of the fight. Marvin knows what these turning points can do for a team. They make a team, ...a real team.

Football is very much an emotional game.
[/quote]

I can get behind this idea that it was something that rallied the troops and reinvigorated them. I think getting in his face was good but trying to shove Houston down started something that *could* garner a suspension would not help the QB or the team. If there is no suspension, oh well, its a good win and good time wrastlin around a little bit and move forward to focus on SD.

[quote name='Abu-Zayd' timestamp='1353942089' post='1185114']
After the fact, I wouldn't be like, "I wish he would have chilled... he could have cost us." Then his LT would think, "Damn, I got his back but he doesn't have mine."

I can get behind this idea that it was something that rallied the troops and reinvigorated them. I think getting in his face was good but trying to shove Houston down started something that *could* garner a suspension would not help the QB or the team. If there is no suspension, oh well, its a good win and good time wrastlin around a little bit and move forward to focus on SD.
[/quote]

so how much of this is about that play, and how much of it is about the fact you've consistently criticized Whitworth throughout his career?

[/quote]

It says something to the whole team that a player believes more in "the team" than he does a paycheck.

I don't have a problem with what whit did late in the game, which we was going to win with or without him, now if this happens early on or he some how gets suspension over it ,which i doubt, then i have a problem.If it hurts the teams its bone headed if it don't i don't see the problem.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1353943130' post='1185121']
Saw the play. That was a cheap shot by them big time, however at the same time Whit shouldn't have retaliated, just not smart.
[/quote]

I don't think Whit went over with the "intent" of retaliating. He went over to confront him and, from what I am reading, Houston got physical first and Whit took it from there.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1353977462' post='1185382']
I don't think Whit went over with the "intent" of retaliating. He went over to confront him and, from what I am reading, Houston got physical first and Whit took it from there.
[/quote]

That was Whit's story, but the video tape doesn't show that. He was ready to get physical and went right up to his facemask. That said I still have no issues with it.

[/quote]

This is a violent game. Pacifism gets you hurt.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1353978286' post='1185385']
This. I agree with Marvin on this one, you cant do that.
[/quote]
Lol of course he said that the day after. Doesn't want to get fined by the league. Did you hear him yesterday or see his face when Lap brought it up ? He supports Whit. Gotta watch what you say in the media.

Archived