Post Shrine/Senior Bowl Mock (6 rounds/7 picks)

Hopefully I can avoid doing another one of these until at least after the combine. This was fun. I used a compendium of draft rankings to make my pick, but the NFL.com’s rankings (they were surprisingly accurate last year) and nfldraftscout.com’s have served as my baseline. I didn’t really pick anyone more than one or two spots above where they were listed for overall rankings (post Senior Bowl, because Ansah jumped from the high 30s’ to about 15)

When I watch “tape” I focus on watching the actual game cut-ups, because they give a better sense of strengths and weaknesses (and just as important, intelligence, hustle, etc.). But the purposes of efficiency (and just plain fun) for this post I’ve just posted highlight vids for the players.

(NOTE: I wasn't allowed to post all of the youtube vids so am separating into multiple posts)

21. WR Cordarelle Patterson – If Eric Dickerson were a WR. A 6-3 Adam Jones with the ball in his hands. No…better. He’s not NFL polished, perhaps, but his talent is just too immense to pass up on and he’ll impact every game. Dominated the SEC in his first season. Good hands, insane vision, unreal YAC. Tavon Austin, my ass. This guy’s a special PLAYMAKER and changes the entire makeup of our offense. Let’s all get down on our knees and pray he’s there at 21. Watch the video, and then STFU.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0[/url]

37. S Matt Elam –A punishing hitter, but only a hair behind the more traditional FS prospects in coverage. His open-field tackling far outshines Vacarros (Kenny’s one liability) He’s just vicious in the flat. Reminds me of Troy Polamalu more than anyone else in this draft. I think that’s pretty self-explanatory. This guy’s hits change games.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rREjDTpTedE[/url]

(I doubt he lasts until here, but a number of sites still have him listed in the mid 40s. This was actually my hardest pick, as value just didn’t seem to match up well with our needs at this pick. I could see also taking a rotational DE, CB, or developmental OL here. Lastly, I’m still hoping we try for Jairus Byrd in FA).

53. OLB Sean Porter - Here is the game tape versus Arkansas, where he lines up mostly as a rush OLB (in other tapes, such as versus Alabama, he plays coverage a lot more, and at times lines up over the slot). Was considered the most athletic LB at the Senior bowl, and many scouts think he’s actually going to be the best pass covering LB in the draft. Another PLAYMAKER.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcH-tZQJtck"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcH-tZQJtck[/url]

84. T Chris Faulk. LSU - Was pegged as a first round tackle before tearing his ACL after the first game this year. Often compared to Whitworth, it’s time to get good value on a replacement to groom.

They don’t make videos for Tackles, haha…

116. RB Christine Michael

Was expected to be one of the top few backs this year, but the emergence of Manziel changed things. Also had some discipline issues so he sinks to the fourth. Probably the most compact runner in the draft. Compare his tape to the likes of Bernard or Gillislee – or whoever – and tell me why they’re better.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVqxFeWFoU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCVqxFeWFoU[/url]

148. OLB Keith Pough - Three time All American, small school guy, can play WLB or SLB. Reminds me of Emmanuel Lamur a little bit.

180. CB/S/KR Tyrone Mathieu - So what, he’s small. OK, and a head-case. He’s worth every ounce of the risk at this point, because when he’s on the field, the ball is his. Think of him as a continuation of the Marvin and MB Burfict resurrection tour. On the off-chance you haven’t seen him yet…

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KBPaoS6odk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KBPaoS6odk[/url]

190ish (comp). RB Knile Davis – A shitty YPC this year and I’d be shocked if he falls as far as most boards seem to rate him, but I’d take him here in a heartbeat. Reminds me of McFadden a little bit, maybe shiftier, but gets hurt even more. Good receiver out of the backfield and dangerous in the open field. Actually, the Sean Porter vid above featured Knile doing some serious gashing against A&M as well.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6hW2ggiO4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV6hW2ggiO4[/url]

Yeah, I just don't know how you can look at that video and not think he's the most exciting thing that came out of CFB this year.

Also, and this won't be a surprise to some of you, but had Matt Elam not been available (e.g. in my dream Jairus Byrd FA scenario), I would have selected Travis Fredricks, the C from Wisconsin at #37.

Yeah, yeah, won't happen, but that's why we get to do our personal mocks, right?

C

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1359506789' post='1211806']
Works for me. Can porter play WLB?
[/quote]

Yes. As you can see, the second assessment disagrees with the first on his ability to take on blocks, and after watching clips I think he's pretty good at it.

[b]01/23/2013[/b][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] - 2013 Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Sean Porter appeared to be the most athletic linebacker of the bunch. Compared to his teammates, he did good work in run-stuffing, edge rush and especially pass-coverage drills. In 11-on-11 drills, he worked exclusively as a weak-side linebacker, which plays to his strengths. No one will confuse him with Von Miller, but he's got the most promise of this group. - Dave Richard, CBSSports.com[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Rather than attacking offensive tackles on his way to the quarterback like his former teammate, Porter is at his best in pursuit of ballcarriers on the flanks and operating in coverage. He reads the action quickly and can slice through gaps, beating offensive linemen to the action to rack up plays near the line of scrimmage consistently.[/size][/font][/color]
He's fluid and fast enough that he's often asked to line up over the slot and handle quick coverage responsibilities; traits that could earn him a spot as a weakside linebacker in a predominantly 4-3 aligned team in the NFL.[/size][/font][/color]
Scouts would like to see him play with greater physicality as he too often relies on his athleticism to beat blockers to the action rather than taking them on physically. His speed and flexibility allow him to slip under pass blockers and get to the quarterback but too often once he's locked up, he is unable to separate.[/size][/font][/color]
His great speed and experience in coverage, however, could make him one of the better pass defending linebackers in the 2013 draft which likely will translate into a top 50 selection.[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1359512820' post='1211827']
Yes. As you can see, the second assessment disagrees with the first on his ability to take on blocks, and after watching clips I think he's pretty good at it.

[b]01/23/2013[/b][color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3] - 2013 Senior Bowl, Tuesday: Sean Porter appeared to be the most athletic linebacker of the bunch. Compared to his teammates, he did good work in run-stuffing, edge rush and especially pass-coverage drills. In 11-on-11 drills, he worked exclusively as a weak-side linebacker, which plays to his strengths. No one will confuse him with Von Miller, but he's got the most promise of this group. - Dave Richard, CBSSports.com[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Rather than attacking offensive tackles on his way to the quarterback like his former teammate, Porter is at his best in pursuit of ballcarriers on the flanks and operating in coverage. He reads the action quickly and can slice through gaps, beating offensive linemen to the action to rack up plays near the line of scrimmage consistently.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]He's fluid and fast enough that he's often asked to line up over the slot and handle quick coverage responsibilities; traits that could earn him a spot as a weakside linebacker in a predominantly 4-3 aligned team in the NFL.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scouts would like to see him play with greater physicality as he too often relies on his athleticism to beat blockers to the action rather than taking them on physically. His speed and flexibility allow him to slip under pass blockers and get to the quarterback but too often once he's locked up, he is unable to separate.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]His great speed and experience in coverage, however, could make him one of the better pass defending linebackers in the 2013 draft which likely will translate into a top 50 selection.[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Definitely works for me then. although they make it sound like he wont be there are 53. Might have to take him at 37 and a different S at 53.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1359499380' post='1211795']
116. RB Christine Michael
Was expected to be one of the top few backs this year, but the emergence of Manziel changed things. Also had some discipline issues so he sinks to the fourth. Probably the most compact runner in the draft. Compare his tape to the likes of Bernard or Gillislee – or whoever – and tell me why they’re better.
[/quote]

I like Michael plenty, but I've cooled on him a bit since Mike Mayoch mentioned the coaching buzz about his poor pass blocking technique and his unwillingness to improve. He even hinted it was the primary reason Michael lost the starting RB role late this season.

• 10 months later...

21. WR Cordarelle Patterson – If Eric Dickerson were a WR. A 6-3 Adam Jones with the ball in his hands. No…better. He’s not NFL polished, perhaps, but his talent is just too immense to pass up on and he’ll impact every game. Dominated the SEC in his first season. Good hands, insane vision, unreal YAC. Tavon Austin, my ass. This guy’s a special PLAYMAKER and changes the entire makeup of our offense. Let’s all get down on our knees and pray he’s there at 21. Watch the video, and then STFU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqzag6BTqS0

Bump, now that the season is over (from PFT):

Cordarrelle Patterson is something special. Patterson had a two-touchdown game in Sunday’s win over the Lions and became the first player in NFL history to have four receiving touchdowns, three rushing touchdowns and two kickoff-return touchdowns in NFL history. Patterson also became the first player in NFL history to have a 100-yard kickoff-return touchdown, 75-yard receiving touchdown and 50-yard rushing touchdown in a season. Patterson had a whopping 2,020 all-purpose yards in his rookie year. What a weapon this guy is going to be in Minnesota for years to come.

Love these look backs just for fun. Obviously much is still to be written by these players but here is a look back at who was taken and who I wanted

Round 1 TE Tyler Eifert S Matt Elam
Eifert had a very solid year but so did Elam. In the end I probably would rather have Elam at this point because I don't think we have shown a capability to use all of our weapons. A playmaking safety on the backend remains a need.

Round 2 RB Giovani Bernard RB Giovani Bernard
Bernard was a great pick. Love him.

Round 2 DE Margus Hunt LB Arthur Brown
Hunt may ease the burden of losing Michael Johnson's potential departure and I am certainly a fan
Brown recorded just 15 total tackles on the year as a backup and special teamer. Hunt just 3. With the solid play of Maualuga I would rather have Hunt.

Round 3 S Shawn Williams OL Barrett Jones
Shawn Williams played sparingly and it certainly wasn't enough to dispel doubts about his ability to cover in space. Barrett Jones played sparingly (probably due to injuries) for a poor line. Not sure I would want either, but at this point the jury is still very much out.

Round 4 LB Sean Porter WR Quinton Patton
Porter went out with an injury and Pattn played very little for a team in need of solid WRs early in the year. Jury very much out here.

Round 5 G Tanner Hawkinson RB Andre Ellington
Ellington looked spectacular when they gave him space and opportunity to run and catch. Hawkinson has not done much yet but he also hasn't been asked to do much. Ellington brings a lot of what Bernard brings to the table but is too much value in the 5th round.

Round 6 RB Rex Burkhead S Bacarri Rambo
Burkhead was sparingly used and Rambo started the year but was relegated to special teams after playing poorly.

Round 6 WR Cobi Hamilton DT Chris Jones
Chris Jones wins this one hands down. Very effective for the Patriots this year. Hamilton remains on practice squad.

Round 7 T Reid Fragel T Reid Fragel
Fragel on to the Browns.

Round 7 C TJ Johnson WR Da'rick Rogers
Johnson very incomplete, Rogers played just 5 games for the Colts but one was a 100 yard game. Had 192 total yards on the year and a couple tds.

Archived