Say we drafted early round CB instead of S, what would you do about S?

The Bengals are high on CB DJ Hayden apparently, and some us are wondering if we will take a S high if we draft a CB high.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. If we draft a CB in the first couple of rounds (say DJ Hayden at 21, or Jamar Taylor at 37 or 53), and we didn't draft a S early, what would you do?

• Move Dre Kirkpatrick to starting strong safety
    • Move Leon Hall to starting strong safety
    • Move Terence Newman to starting Strong Safety
    • Start late round draft pick (if we draft one) at strong safety
    • Sign Kerry Rhodes to start at strong safety
    • Resign Chris Crocker as starting strong safety
    • Let Mays, Myles, Sands, Iloka battle it out like last year for starting strong safety
    • Change D formation to 3 CB 1 S allignment

Jonathan Cyprien is the best combo safety in the draft. I just watched every play of his in the senior bowl and he was always around the ball on every play, and broke up a deep pass over the middle. When they went to single high safety Cyprien did an excellent job covering deep. If Lewis is serious about having interchangeable safetys Cyprien's the guy. After hours of watching videos I have my rankings complete.

1.Cyprien
2. Elam
3. D.J.Swearinger
4. Vacarro
5. Reid.

Jonathan Cyprien is the best combo safety in the draft. I just watched every play of his in the senior bowl and he was always around the ball on every play, and broke up a deep pass over the middle. When they went to single high safety Cyprien did an excellent job covering deep. If Lewis is serious about having interchangeable safetys Cyprien's the guy. After hours of watching videos I have my rankings complete.

1.Cyprien
2. Elam
3. D.J.Swearinger
4. Vacarro
5. Reid.

problem is, he wasn't nearly as impressive in real games as he was in the exhibition game.

problem is, he wasn't nearly as impressive in real games as he was in the exhibition game.

If you go off of game tape DJ Swearinger is the guy then. From Chad, Tomlinson, to Atkins and Dockett guys that stand out during senior bowl week succeed in the NFL and this year one of those guys is Cyprien.

My problem with him as well. His tape was pretty bad. Who knows, maybe the guy just needed some halfway decent coaching, but I'm definitely in the minority with Cyprien - certainly as a 1st rounder.

My problem with him as well. His tape was pretty bad. Who knows, maybe the guy just needed some halfway decent coaching, but I'm definitely in the minority with Cyprien - certainly as a 1st rounder.

Just curious but which game did u watch of his. Dude was a beast vs Louisville. Ill go back and watch the video of his game.

Just curious but which game did u watch of his. Dude was a beast vs Louisville. Ill go back and watch the video of his game.

I don't remember exactly.  I watched several games that had every one of his snaps, though I don't remember Louisville particularly.

Sorry but if we take Watson before round 3 I'm going to be pissed.

Why would you say that? He's raw, but extremely talented. I wouldn't mind it at all personally, but to each their own. But regardless, my point was that I think it's probable we could take both a safety and corner early and still fill other needs very easily.

I have a really hard time justifying another first round corner. Next season maybe to replace Newman as the 4th CB. But there's absolutely no reason for the 2013 season.

Hall is a stud, Jones is a stud, Kirkpatrick is going to be a stud, Newman is an ex-stud now solid vet, Ghee and Prater battle it out for the 5th spot.

Can't honestly make up my mind about Cyprien. I either like him or I dont.

I was disappointed re-watching him the other day.  He's got the stellar INT against Louisville, but he also had 4 missed tackles, a personal foul penalty, and gave up a TD in that game.  Also watched the Duke game and he missed 3-4 tackles.  Likely the two best teams he's played (certainly the two best there's tape out there for).  

He was a nobody before the Senior Bowl.  Played well in the game but wasn't great in man coverage in the practices.  Most all of the top guys view him as a 2nd rounder.  It's mainly the "internet scout" hyping him up in the first round and I've seen him as high as 14 at one point.  Greg Cosell is just about the only top guy to give him first round love.  

I just don't think there's enough out there to put him in the first round.  The coaches who have access to all his games obviously may feel differently.

joshua wertz ‏@jwreds1129 34m

@joereedy Marvin said he doesn't want a short muscular safety, or something close to that. Think he might be referring to Elam?

@jwreds1129 They've got a couple safeties rated ahead of him

I find it very hard to believe they'd even remotely give Joe Reedy any info on their draft plans.

I was disappointed re-watching him the other day.  He's got the stellar INT against Louisville, but he also had 4 missed tackles, a personal foul penalty, and gave up a TD in that game.  Also watched the Duke game and he missed 3-4 tackles.  Likely the two best teams he's played (certainly the two best there's tape out there for).  

He was a nobody before the Senior Bowl.  Played well in the game but wasn't great in man coverage in the practices.  Most all of the top guys view him as a 2nd rounder.  It's mainly the "internet scout" hyping him up in the first round and I've seen him as high as 14 at one point.  Greg Cosell is just about the only top guy to give him first round love.  

I just don't think there's enough out there to put him in the first round.  The coaches who have access to all his games obviously may feel differently.

We have no idea how teams/scouts feel, as you stated since they have other tape, access to coaches, interviews/visits, etc. - plus "fit" is something they look at as well. Yes, the talking heads didn't know about Cyprien, etc. (assuming that's what you mean by "top guys"), but that's typical - especially when you play at a smaller school. It's only after the all-star games, Pro Days, talking heads talking with scouts, etc. where these other guys show up in the rankings. 

The talking heads will be wrong on a bunch of guys, as it happens every year - just as later on, teams are proven wrong on some of their evaluations . There are injury reports and knucklehead reports/background checks that they have access to that non-NFL folks don't, and of course that is factored in, too. 

The Bengals put so much value on height. I could totally see them with Vaccaro and Reid both rated higher than the 5-10 Elam. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if the 6-1 Reid got drafted here at 21. The Bengals also put a lot of stock in players from powerhouse programs. Several years ago they drafted a guy high from Coastal Carolina, and I think that's one they would like to have back.

Remember Demarcos Ware came from a small school and was a "Nobody" before the senior bowl. Ware much like Cyprien proved they belong with the big boys so it shouldn't shock anyone if the Cowboys draft Cyprien , because they are reportedly high on him.

Why would you say that? He's raw, but extremely talented. I wouldn't mind it at all personally, but to each their own. But regardless, my point was that I think it's probable we could take both a safety and corner early and still fill other needs very easily.

Round 2 is a bit high for a project.  Especially for one that won't even see the field somehow until he's fully ready.

I really don't care if he is called a linebacker, safety or cornerback...just give me the best play maker available.  My guess they are going to see a lot more multi-receiver sets including TE's and RB's.  Offense's might not be true spread offenses but at a minimum be using some "spread" principles including running the ball out of the shotgun.

The elite QB's are the one's who are controlling the line of scrimmage with audibles and creating mismatches with their ability to read defenses.

With defenses needing to hide their schemes from their opponents having these hybrid defenders certainly helps.  The defenders might not be superior in anything.  Its being able to do it all that is the key.

Archived