Lions Week Notes

Jumping in here... I am concerned about this game.

Below is the Shutdown Corner Power Rankings, saw one other where they were ranked a few slots higher...  opinion, conjecture and more than a little bias and lack of knowledge of the person making them up to be sure but we seem to be fairly evenly matched against the Lions... (I don't pay much attention to other teams out of out division)

10. Detroit Lions (4-2, LW: 11)
Broncos-Colts is Week 7's game of the week. Bengals-Lions isn't far behind. I think the Lions are good, but we're six weeks in and I'm still not sure. We'll probably know more after Sunday.

9. Cincinnati Bengals (4-2, LW: 9)
If Andy Dalton plays like he did Sunday (26-of-40, 337 yards, three touchdowns), the Bengals are going to get on a roll.

So my concerns are they are at home.

Also, like it or not, we do mirror our opposition playing up/down to their level and tend to go into cruise control and make far too many games closer than they should be.  Take last Sunday, for example.  And it sometimes costs us.  IMHO, we simply cannot go into Detroit with that kind of happy horse shit.  Or anyplace else including PBS, for that matter.

Vs Buffalo I noticed a lot of their plays were going to their left vs the right side of our D line and they were having success.  I guess something they picked up on film and if they didn't, Detroit certainly did this week.

I think physically we can beat the shit out of them.

I think Zim and Gruden can come up with game plans on both sides of the ball to overcome and dominate anything they have, home field or not.

But.... DAY-AM!!!  I simply hope they don't beat themselves... bullshit penalties, turnovers (either giving them up or waiting for/depending on them to shit one), moronic time outs and clock mismanagement, brain farts and not in the game mentally... the usual cast of characters.

1. Marvin Lewis on Jim Schwartz; "Everywhere around me I owe it to Jimmy." Said Schwartz hired the same administrative assistant he has today

Expand
  2. Lewis also said Calvin Johnson has been a great mentor to A.J. Green. CJ and AJ worked out some together this offseason.

Expand
  3. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis on finding Geno Atkins in 4th rd: "We felt like Geno was the best interior rusher after" Suh & McCoy in '10 draft

Calvin Johnson is practicing today. Joique Bell (ribs) and Rashean Mathis (groin), too. Out: Scheffler, Riddick, Fox, Delmas, Burleson

Detroit #Lions forcing more turnovers this year, better on defense because of it http://www.freep.com/article/20131016/SPORTS01/310160104 

For all the talk about their D line, they are 26th in sacks (they only have 12) and they are dead last in YPC against (5.4YPC). They do have a better pass defense though, 10 picks and a solid QB rating against.

How's that compare to us? (Being lazy here...)

For all the talk about their D line, they are 26th in sacks (they only have 12) and they are dead last in YPC against (5.4YPC). They do have a better pass defense though, 10 picks and a solid QB rating against.

IMO its on Gruden to find the weakness (and I think it will be in the run game).  Buffalo came in leading the league in INT's, 3rd in sacks, and only allowing a 53.2 completion percentage.  

If there is an NFC equivalent to the Bengals it is the Detroit Lions. They’ve won only one playoff game since 1957 and have been on their own roller coaster.

After making the playoffs in 2011, the Lions stumbled last season, going 5-11. With many having coach Jim Schwartz on the hot seat going into the year, the Lions have gotten off to a nice start with a 4-2 record that has them tied atop the NFC North despite only playing two home games.

The Bengals have already faced Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady this season, but they might encounter the best quarterback-receiver duo this season in Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson. Stafford threw four touchdown passes in last week’s win over Cleveland, including three to undrafted rookie Joseph Fauria, who is the first tight end in team history with three touchdowns in a game.

Stafford is ranked fourth in passing yards (1,772), tied for sixth in touchdowns (12) and ninth in passer rating (95.0). Johnson missed the Week 5 game at Green Bay due to a knee injury but returned last week and had three receptions for 25 yards.

Said Schwartz about his offense: “Well, if you want to stop the run and you have to get eight guys in the box, that leaves you one guy that you can double. If that goes to Calvin, then a guy like Joe or any of our other potential receivers on the play is singled up. If you want to double both of them, you’re going to be light in the run game.”

QUICK FACTS: Bengals (4-2) at Lions (4-2), 1 p.m. (CBS), Ford Field

TV announcers: Marv Albert and Rich Gannon 
Radio: WLW-AM (700), WCKY-AM (1530), WEBN-FM (102.7). 
The line: Lions by 3 
Series: Bengals lead 7-3. 
Last week: Both teams won on the road. The Bengals beat the Bills in overtime 27-24, and the Lions rallied to defeat the Browns, 31-17. 
Bengals league rankings: Offense 12th (16th rushing, 16th passing); Defense 8th (10th rushing, 9th passing). 
Lions league rankings: Offense 9th (21st rushing, 6th passing); Defense 26th (29th rushing, 21st passing).

LIONS TO WATCH

RB Reggie Bush: Much like Giovani Bernard has helped open things up for the Bengals’ offense, Bush has had the same effect for the Lions. He is averaging 4.8 yards per carry and is third in the league in yards from scrimmage, averaging 127.4 per game. Bush had 135 total yards (78 rushing, 57 receiving) last week at Cleveland, marking the third time he has had 135 yards or more. 

Lions defensive line: First-round pick Ezekial Ansah has 3.0 sacks, which leads the team and is tied for first among NFL rookies, and has forced two fumbles. Ndamukong Suh has 2.5, while Nick Fairley has added 1.5. Fairley, who dealt with injuries and off-field problems his first two years in the league, is finally healthy.

KEY NUMBER

13: Turnovers forced by the Lions defense through six games (10 interceptions, 3 fumbles), tying for fourth in the NFL in total takeaways. Detroit’s interceptions are tied for first in the league.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131015/SPT02/310150152/Bengals-Lions-First-look

1. The Lions get pressure home a staggering 38% of the time with a 4-man rush. Bengals close at 36.5%.

Expand
  2. The Lions have rushed 4 or less on 91.3% of first downs this year.

Expand
  3. The Lions have only faced 12 (1 RB, 2TE) personnel 42 times, but they blitz 21% of the time against it, most against any personnel group.

Lions defensive line: First-round pick Ezekial Ansah has 3.0 sacks, which leads the team and is tied for first among NFL rookies, and has forced two fumbles. Ndamukong Suh has 2.5, while Nick Fairley has added 1.5. Fairley, who dealt with injuries and off-field problems his first two years in the league, is finally healthy.

Ugh... long afternoon for Kyle Cook...

1. If I predicted stuff, I predict Ezekial Ansah getting shut out by Whit on the left.

Expand
  2. Suh has lined up almost exclusively at DLT this year, meaning he'll face a lot of Clint Boling and Kyle Cook. Boling has been great.

1. Fitting that narrative, the Lions have been susceptible to slants and out routes, but good against HB receivers (2 picks on 28 targets)

Expand
  2. The Lions have been great at defending the intermediate middle of the field, outside short part of the field. Interesting triangle there.

Expand
  2. Suh has lined up almost exclusively at DLT this year, meaning he'll face a lot of Clint Boling and Kyle Cook. Boling has been great.

Thanks @JoeGoodberry for pointing this out. Suh will see primarily Zietler, Cook. Z is 2nd best run blocker this year, but 46th in pass pro.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider3m

Signing Kendrick Adams, Bengals also worked out defensive ends Markus White and Cam Henderson

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider5m

Ravens tried out former Bengals running back Bernard Scott, according to a league source.

Not that they didn't want a LB but maybe they signed this Kendrick Adams dude to get some intel on the Lions? He was on their practice squad last season.

Archived