Lions Week Notes

This game concerns me more than any game left on our schedule.

I think they'll be able to run pretty well on Detroit.  As long as the D does their job and the O doesn't make critical mistakes, I think they've got a good chance.

My main concern is crowd noise in the dome.

We've got to smother this guy just like the Pats shut down Graham ...

TE Joseph Fauria has career day for Lions
October, 13, 2013
Oct 13
7:25
PM ET
By Michael Rothstein | ESPN.com

CLEVELAND -- He gas pedaled, windmilled and, finally, Cabbage Patched before raising his right arm and holding up three fingers.

The touchdown-catching, dance-creating, fun-loving world of Detroit Lions rookie tight end Joseph Fauria continued with one finger for every pass he was thrown on Sunday and one for every touchdown he scored in a 31-17 win over the Cleveland Browns.

And at this point, it is tough to say what he’ll do next.

Simply, whenever quarterback Matthew Stafford throws to Fauria, he scores. He has at least one touchdown in every game he has been officially targeted. Sunday was a bit different than most.

He did something that hadn’t been done in his lifetime or the lifetime of his uncle, former NFL tight end Christian Fauria: He caught three touchdown passes in a game for the Lions, something a tight end hasn’t done since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

It happens because he is a matchup issue for every cornerback and safety in the league.

“Well, first of all, he’s tall as hell,” Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said. “But there’s a lot of tall guys that aren’t good football players. The thing that separates Joe and has allowed him to make those plays is he’s really, really strong. Has really strong hands.

“We saw that early on in training camp. He had some plays that he made that there were collisions and he had to leave his feet to make catches and he held it when he landed on the ground and he took a hit. That’s carried over for him.”

Cleveland saw that Sunday. On his first touchdown, the one that led to the gas pedal, he leapt up over Browns safety Johnson Bademosi, almost posting him up, caught the ball and landed for the touchdown.

Second touchdown, the windmill dunk over the goalpost, was similar. Fauria caught the ball in traffic with a smaller jump and took a hit from cornerback Buster Skrine as he scored.

Third touchdown, the Cabbage Patch, he had to adjust his body mid-air over T.J. Ward to make the play.

“Being a rookie and being young, you have to work your way up and earn that trust,” Fauria said. “I just talked to the quarterbacks this past week and they are just starting to get used to how I run routes.

“That trust I have with Matthew is tremendous and that’s the reason why everything happened today.”

The chemistry and trust with Stafford is something Fauria has mentioned often in his first two months as a pro. Stafford said it took some time to adjust to throwing to the 6-foot-7 Fauria because a ball doesn’t have to be as precise around him.

Fauria recognized he needed to have consistency. He had to show the ability to run routes correctly and with precision. That was how he would be able to go from merely a large, dancing red zone target to a full-fledged tight end.

In six games he has nine official targets, seven catches, five touchdowns, four different dances and one shoutout from Jimmy Fallon.

“Well, we always wonder what he’s going to do when he gets in the end zone,” wide receiver Kris Durham said. “He had a great day. Three touchdowns? That’s a career day for anybody.”

Then Tony Scheffler got hurt last week against Green Bay and Detroit had little choice but to use Fauria more often.

It ended up with three touchdowns, two dances, one goal post dunk and unlimited possibilities, both on the field and in the end zone, for what could come next.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/1883/te-joseph-fauria-has-career-day-for-lions

If we shut down the run and shut down the TE, ...that leaves Megatron and he's not 80% and likely won't be by Sunday ...

Despite low production, Johnson still helps
October, 13, 2013
6:10
PM ET

CLEVELAND -- Calvin Johnson left the Detroit Lions' locker room Sunday afternoon, a long, black compression sleeve still on his right leg and a massive wrap of ice surrounding his ailing right knee.

Unlike a week ago in Green Bay, Johnson felt well enough to at least try to play Sunday against Cleveland. And while he wasn’t the Johnson the Lions had come to expect, he was out there.

“He’s the best receiver on the planet,” quarterback Matthew Stafford said. “So as much as we can have him out there, we’d love to have him out there. Just a testament to how tough a guy he is, not feeling good and he’s out there battling with his teammates trying to make any play to help us win.”

Johnson wasn’t the normal playmaker he usually is, but his presence still forced Cleveland to pay more attention to him, in some instances opening up the field for his teammates.

He was still targeted eight times in limited duty, making three catches for 25 yards, although none of the bigger plays he usually attempts to make. He dropped a couple of passes. In the first few drives, he didn’t play consecutive plays.

In some ways, this was part of Detroit’s plan for Johnson, who did not speak with reporters following the game. Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said the Lions knew they would have Johnson for only a certain number of snaps Sunday -- the number was not divulged -- so they wanted to use him correctly.

For the Lions, that meant more in the second half than the first.

“If we were only going to have him for a certain number of snaps, then we would rather have him in the second half, so we limited his snaps a little bit in the first half,” Schwartz said. “But he was feeling good. He made some contributions and he affected the game also, particularly that second half.

“I think some of Reggie’s [Bush] big plays that came out had a lot to do with Calvin and I think [Joseph] Fauria getting singled up in the red zone had a lot to do with Calvin also.”

Bush ended up with five catches for 57 yards -- all in the second half. Fauria had two of his three touchdown catches in the second half.

And even Fauria’s first touchdown was altered somewhat by Johnson. Stafford had gone to Johnson the play before -- but it was incomplete. The next play was a Fauria touchdown.

“He helped tremendously,” Fauria said. “Having Calvin Johnson, one of the greatest of all time, being lined up next to him is a trip. He does open things up, though.

“Having him on top and Reggie in the backfield and Matthew back there, it opens things up for guys like me to step up.”

As long as Johnson’s knee ails him, the Lions will need that from everyone else.

http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lions/post/_/id/1871/despite-low-production-johnson-still-helps

Stafford spike fuels Lions' emotional win

October, 13, 2013

CLEVELAND -- Matthew Stafford spiked the ball toward midfield, taking a 5-yard penalty but none of that mattered. It was a type of message sent, a type of emotion needed.

The Detroit Lions were not playing well, were slogging through a sometimes-rainy, sometimes-not overcast day in Cleveland. And then on the first drive of the second half, Stafford slammed down the ball.
And with it, he showed enough emotion to help get the Lions' attention.

“I knew it was going to take something to spark people,” Stafford said later. “That wasn’t false, man. I was happy, number one, to get the first down and number two to be down on the ground safe after a run.

“I just wanted to get guys going. It was time to go.”

Motivation came from all over Sunday for Detroit during its 31-17 win against Cleveland. It came from Stafford. It came from the rest of the Lions seeing a not-fully-healthy Calvin Johnson try to play anyway.

It came from linebacker Stephen Tulloch giving a speech to the Lions' coaches and players.

“He brought the entire team up, including the coaches,” safety Louis Delmas said. “Everybody was in that circle and everybody in that circle knew and felt that we had to do this for Stephen Tulloch.”

They needed to do it for more than Tulloch, though.

Detroit did not play particularly well in the first half Sunday. The offense stalled. The defense allowed Cleveland to rush for more yards in less than the entirety of the first half then the Browns had run for in any game this season.

There were dropped passes, missed tackles and receivers allowed to roam free. It was a game, frankly, that Detroit looked like it would lose. It was not playing well. It allowed the Browns to score 17 points in the second quarter and their star receiver was not fully healthy.

It was a game in many ways set up for Detroit to falter. For the Lions to drop, heading into a two-game homestand on a two-game losing streak. Then came the speeches and the spikes, the adjustments -- including making sure running back Reggie Bush was more involved in the offense -- and the return of a playmaking offense that scored 24 second-half points and an opportunistic defense that forced two interceptions.

And that two-game homestand against Cincinnati and Dallas could provide an opportunity to solidify the Lions entering the second half of the season.

Games like Sunday are games good teams win. Games potential playoff teams win. When things aren’t going well, when the precision is off, when players are hurt, you find a way anyway.

That’s exactly what Detroit did. They rallied. The offense found ways to get Bush and tight end Joseph Fauria involved, making plays. The defense shut Cleveland out in the second half, hitting Weeden and closing off the running game.

It’s cliche to say they believed in themselves and seeing each facet of the game do well inspires the others -- offense, defense and special teams -- but that’s part of what happened.

“I think there’s an element to that,” Detroit coach Jim Schwartz said. “We knew that it wasn’t just going to be the offense playing well in the second half that was going to get us back in the game.

“We knew that we’d have to hit on all three phases and I think we did.”

And now it leads to this. More than a third of the way through the season, Detroit is firmly in the NFC playoff picture. The Lions have as many road wins -- two -- as they did all of last season.

But there’s a confidence about Detroit now. The Lions can play average for most of a game, and they have done that against Minnesota and Cleveland now, and still win a game. Still win a game somewhat convincingly, too.

“I’ll tell you what, we’re 4-2, getting them W’s,” defensive end Willie Young said. “That’s all that matters at the end of the day. All the rest of it, everything else is history at this point.

“Everything else is history.”

A history and a future that could become pretty interesting for the Detroit Lions.

They put up 34 on Cleveland, Bengals could only muster 7.  Sure, different circumstances but gives you an idea of what they're capable of.  It'll be a difficult game although Detroit's offense can completely shut down some days, for whatever reason.  The Bears vs Lions tape should be valuable to watch, Bears shut them down completely, 

They put up 34 on Cleveland, Bengals could only muster 7.  Sure, different circumstances but gives you an idea of what they're capable of.  It'll be a difficult game although Detroit's offense can completely shut down some days, for whatever reason.  The Bears vs Lions tape should be valuable to watch, Bears shut them down completely, 

and they only put up 9 on Green Bay.  Bengals put up 27.  :p

Won't be an easy game by any means.   Bengals have the better team IMO though.  Just have to play like it.

You come back too early with a knee injury and you wind up with fluid on the knee.

And even more importantly, IN the knee.   But that's not necessarily the case....depends on what type of knee injury also.  I'd like for him to play next week at full strength.   Want the D to be challenged.

Leon Hall shadowed Cruz last year and Cobb this year I believe.

Yes i believe he shadowed them because Hall is amazing against slot WR's, idk if he has the size strength to take down someone like Megatron. He's better suited for the Wes welker's of the NFL, not the AJ Green's. I believe it is a huge help that he has aj to go against in practice, but i firmly believe a combo of bracket in calvin with newman and Nelson should get the job done. Let's be honest, what team in their right mind wouldn't double calvin johnson? We take our 2nd best corner and Safety and lock him down, make their #3/4 wr beat Leon hall. Let the rb's concentrate on the TE's and RB's. There's a formula for success we just have to be on top of our game vs calvin and everything else will take care of its self.  Honestly Leon shouldn't even need to cover their #2 wr, that should be Jones job. I'd hope leon could stick with reggie bush and their te's out of the backfield. That would be the best use of Leon Hall in this game.

Yes i believe he shadowed them because Hall is amazing against slot WR's, idk if he has the size strength to take down someone like Megatron. He's better suited for the Wes welker's of the NFL, not the AJ Green's. I believe it is a huge help that he has aj to go against in practice, but i firmly believe a combo of bracket in calvin with newman and Nelson should get the job done. Let's be honest, what team in their right mind wouldn't double calvin johnson? We take our 2nd best corner and Safety and lock him down, make their #3/4 wr beat Leon hall. Let the rb's concentrate on the TE's and RB's. There's a formula for success we just have to be on top of our game vs calvin and everything else will take care of its self.  Honestly Leon shouldn't even need to cover their #2 wr, that should be Jones job. I'd hope leon could stick with reggie bush and their te's out of the backfield. That would be the best use of Leon Hall in this game.

Kirkpatrick man-man on Megatron, ...double Fauria, ...double Bush, ...Bell has rib injury so single or may not play this game, ...shut down the run game and short game, ...force the long ball, ...win!

Stafford won't remain upright long enough to do us damage if he has to throw the long ball all game, ...our D-line will eat him alive.

Also, ...Megatron may make it through half the game but will be icing that knee all 2nd half.

Kirkpatrick man-man on Megatron, ...double Fauria, ...double Bush, ...Bell has rib injury so single or may not play this game, ...shut down the run game and short game, ...force the long ball, ...win!

You don;t need to double Fauria.....just cover him, watch for the back shoulder.  He lined up wide on his scores I believe.   Fauria is a 3rd string TE for a reason....he's only caught 7 balls all year, though 5 of those 7 have been TD's.  He had 3 catches yesterday, all 3 were TDs. 

I'm not sure he's even someone you worry about any more so you would in accounting for a TE normally.  Nothing out of the ordinary.   I'm more concerned with Reggie Bush and Calvin Johnson.  Stafford has a rocket.....all of the field will be in play.  

You don;t need to double Fauria.....just cover him, watch for the back shoulder.  He lined up wide on his scores I believe.   Fauria is a 3rd string TE for a reason....he's only caught 7 balls all year, though 5 of those 7 have been TD's.  He had 3 catches yesterday, all 3 were TDs. 

I'm not sure he's even someone you worry about any more so you would in accounting for a TE normally.  Nothing out of the ordinary.   I'm more concerned with Reggie Bush and Calvin Johnson.  Stafford has a rocket.....all of the field will be in play.  

Fauria had 30 yards, and a 23 yard TD pass so the other two were inside the 5.  Keep them away from the goal line.

TE's are our historical weakness, ...I'm not taking any chances and I want to slam the door shut on the short game and run game, ...force the long ball.

Right now, with Megatron's injury, ...they are using him as a decoy, ...force them to throw the long ball and our D-line will have record sacks.

It takes time to set up the long ball, ...extra time means more sacks and one banged up QB.

Keep in mind, ...Megatron left Cleveland without talking to reporters and with ice on his knee.

Clear #1 stud WRs seem to have big days against us over the last few years. We are much beter at the spread it around types of teams. If CJ can run he'll most likely end up with something around 100 yds and a TD, we don't have corner that can match up with the top tier WRs consistently.   

Archived