Lions Week Notes

There's good #Bengals stuff in this NFL notebook by @AlbertBreer. He'll join us today on #BengalsPepRally show http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000265081/article/nfl-still-will-court-college-coaches-despite-greg-schianos-

Expectations for the Cincinnati Bengals entering 2013 couldn't have been much higher, so the fact that they're 4-2 after six weeks won't turn any heads.

What's interesting is that the uneven early moments have been most encouraging internally. Overcoming four turnovers and a 16-point deficit tooutlast the Green Bay Packers in Week 3. Riding out critical penalties at the wire to knock out the New England Patriots in Week 5. Playing field position down the stretch to squeak by the Buffalo Bills in Week 6.

"The old Bengals would've just given up," linebacker Rey Maualuga told me. "We have so many leaders on this team that step up and say what needs to be said on the sideline, and when we go back on the field, it's go time. I won't say this is the new-and-improved team, because this is the same team. We just found something inside that says, 'OK, hey, it's time to go.' "

Maualuga is right: It's not a new team. It's a more grown-up one, which is part of the vision coachMarvin Lewis had when he reworked the roster a few years back and adjusted the Bengals' draft philosophy to put a heavier emphasis on character. That has allowed Lewis to lean on his team leaders in those tough spots.

Lewis is hesitant to say a corner has been turned. But he sees progress.

"We're mentally stronger," Lewis said in his office Thursday. "They have that kind of resilience. But I'd say the season is more like an oval. There's a corner (to turn) every foot or so. That's the way I see it. It's a continual process you go through every week, and every week, there are new challenges. And I think the resilience and determination of the guys will help keep that mindset going forward."

Talent isn't much of an issue, outside of quarterback Andy Dalton needing to elevate his game in big spots, which was problematic for Cincinnati the last two postseasons. Lewis, owner Mike Brown and director of player personnel Duke Tobin have the Bengals' roster where it needs to be.

The hope, of course, is there will be breakthrough moments when that ability shines through in the coming weeks. But the players' energy in slogging through the grind, the Bengalsbelieve, is important, too.

"They're not afraid to hold each other accountable, which is a huge step, to pull a guy up and take him with you and not leave anybody behind, don't let anyone fester, don't let anyone worry about himself, keep it focused on the team," Lewis said. "And I think that's good. That's part of professional sports: To minimize the selfishness and maximize the selflessness."

The Bengals also know that the next step in their maturation and growth can't be proven out until January -- by breaking a 23-year playoff losing streak. But they're confident that'll happen if they stay the course.

"That's not who we want to be," Maualuga said. "We're tired of that. The city of Cincinnati is tired of that. Like I said, we would've lost to New England, we would've given up. We would've lost to Green Bay. We aren't losing those games anymore."

The hope, of course, is there will be breakthrough moments when that ability shines through in the coming weeks. But the players' energy in slogging through the grind, the Bengalsbelieve, is important, too.

"They're not afraid to hold each other accountable, which is a huge step, to pull a guy up and take him with you and not leave anybody behind, don't let anyone fester, don't let anyone worry about himself, keep it focused on the team," Lewis said. "And I think that's good. That's part of professional sports: To minimize the selfishness and maximize the selflessness."

Reference to Green?

Jake L ‏@Jake_NFL1m

Detroit has blitzed 34 times (13.1%). Cincinnati has blitzed 65 times (26.2%).

This seems like a surprisingly high stat to me for some reason.  It's kind of like saying we blitz one out of every 4 downs which I guess would be accurate.  I'm assuming this stat would include punting downs in it too?  What are they considering as a blitz exactly...rushing only linebackers, safeties or CBs?  Would Harrison moving up to the line to play end be a blitz?  What if he drops from the line into coverage?  Must be subjective I guess...        

This seems like a surprisingly high stat to me for some reason.  It's kind of like saying we blitz one out of every 4 downs which I guess would be accurate.  I'm assuming this stat would include punting downs in it too?  What are they considering as a blitz exactly...rushing only linebackers, safeties or CBs?  Would Harrison moving up to the line to play end be a blitz?  What if he drops from the line into coverage?  Must be subjective I guess...        

every time the QB drops back to pass.

Where this strikes me as funny is that we don't seem to blitz all that much because of the defensive line being so good.  I would have guessed this stat would have been much lower than it is. 

According to the chart we blitz the 23rd most often in the league. Thats still pretty low.

Lions DC Gunther Cunningham says he sees Andy Dalton a little like a young Dan Fouts.

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at Fouts stats year by year and was really surprised to see he basically sucked until his 4th year.

1973  10 games   44.8%,  6/13 TD/Int,   46.0 rate

1974  11 games,  48.5%,  8/13 TD/int,   61.4 rate

1975  10 games,  54.4%,  2/10 TD/int,   59.3 rate

He wasn't actually "good" until his his sixth year, the first year he had more TD and Int and first rate in 80's

1978   15 games, 58%,   24/20 TD/int,  83.0 rate

Andy's for comparison

2011  16 games,  58%,  20/13,  80.4

2012  16 games, 62%, 27/16,   87.4

2013  6 games,   65%, 8/6 ,   87.2

If we eventually end up with Dan Fouts instead of Drew Brees, I'm OK with that.

#Bengals Friday injury report: C Kyle Cook (shoulder), CB Terence Newman (abdomen), DT Devon Still (back) all are probable vs. #Lions

#Bengals Marvin Lewis on good health of team: "It shows what a physical game the NFL is with how infrequently you’re in this situation."

The #Lions have a positive or even turnover margin in all six games this year, which they accomplished 7 times all of last season. #Bengals

#Bengals just released their injury report. As expected, no Doubtfuls or Questionables. All Probables: CB Newman, C Cook, DT Devon Still

Joique Bell and Tbeo Riddick both listed as questionable on the #Lions' injury report, Calvin Johnson is probable, Jason Fox doubtful

For the Lions, WR Calvin Johnson (knee) is one of 4 probables vs #Bengals. S Delmas (knee), CB Mathis (groin), LB Palmer (ankle).

Lions Def. Coordinator Gunther Cunningham's comments today about Andy Dalton

As in the ones where he compares Dalton to Dan Fouts ... 
“It’s funny, he wears number 14. The last guy I saw that with was Dan Fouts. I believe Ernie Zampese’s son is coaching him and you can see similarities. He’s throwing the ball quick and they have a really good concept, it’s a lot of the ex-San Diego Chargers stuff when Ernie was running the offense for Don Coryell there. As I studied it, I saw it and I said ‘Oh here we go’ and when things went on during the week you could see all the similar things that they are doing. It’s a very precise offense and he is doing a good job delivering the ball and receivers understand the routes and they’re big and fast and they’re tough. This offense is a lot like Green Bay in the passing game. It’s quick throws and catch and turn and run. It’s all about YAC yardage and we have to tackle this game. We have to tackle this week.”

http://sulia.com/channel/cincinnati-bengals/f/9d73c622-5ccb-446b-a4a4-9b902e6d89a8/?source=twitter

A blitz is usually sending 5+ rushers.  Normally that would mean if we send a LB or DB then it is a blitz.  If one of the DL backs out, we could send a LB and it wouldn't technically be a blitz, although this is sometimes called a zone blitz. 

Geno Atkins vs. Larry Warford/Rob Sims

Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins was unlucky not to be named the defensive player of the year last season. In any other year, when J.J. Watt wasn't having a crazy season, Atkins would have likely run away with the award. Atkins is still a relative unknown for your average NFL fan, but he quickly makes his presence felt in every game he plays.

Last week against the Buffalo Bills, Atkins showed off the variety and talent in his game.

Atkins is roughly 300 pounds and 6'1". His frame is built in such a way that he can be a dominant bull-rusher but also an evasive speed rusher.

Both of those aspects of his game were on display last week.

ScreenShot2013-10-16at23.57.44copy_crop_
ScreenShot2013-10-17at00.39.53_original.

His height is crucial for using those physical traits. He is able to get leverage underneath most offensive linemen when getting around the corner or underneath a blocker's chest. Both the Lions' offensive guards are taller than Atkins, but not too tall; both stand at 6'3".

Rookie right guard Larry Warford and veteran left guard Rob Sims have been very impressive pass-blockers for quarterback Matthew Stafford this season. Stafford has been able to throw from a clean pocket consistently. Last week, the Cleveland Browns only sacked him once despite having a lot of talent in the trenches.

While Warford and Sims have played well this season, they haven't faced a player like Atkins. 

Atkins not only brings those physical traits and a relentless motor to the table, he also understands how to use his hands to create separation from more technically gifted offensive linemen. This refined technique means that Atkins cannot be consistently contained in one-on-one situations against either guards, centers or offensive tackles.

ScreenShot2013-10-17at00.41.49_original.

There are a few ways to slow Atkins down and take advantage of his tendencies.

He likes to shoot gaps in the offensive line, so sometimes he can be too aggressive, which exposes him to draw plays or specifically designed running plays that draw him downfield.

Last week, the Bills were able to take advantage of Atkins' tendencies on a few occasions. The Lions should be able to do the same because they have the excellent Reggie Bush, who can excel running from the shotgun on delays or draws and catching screen passes.

Even though Stafford isn't mobile, the Bengals defensive line will have to always be wary of rushing down the field because they won't want to give Bush space over the middle of the field.

On a screen pass last week, Bush was able to score an 18-yard touchdown when the Browns' defensive line was caught in no-man's land.

Screenshot2013-10-17at17.18.22_original.

Left guard Sims throws a key block to initially spring Bush free up the middle, while both Warford and center Dominic Raiola are running downfield to block on the second level. Considering the Lions have their own very aggressive and talented defensive line to practice against and design their game plan around, their offense should be able to handle the talented Bengals defensive front. 

The winner of this matchup won't be determined by pure physical talent. It will be determined by who is smarter on the field and on the sidelines.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1814855-nfl-week-7-breaking-down-this-weekends-biggest-matchups

Archived