Chargers Week Notes

It's gotta be Whalen who gets cut. Why do they need 7 wr's when they also have te's that lineup outside and also gio

That'd be my pick as well although I could see an argument for waiting until after we play the Colts, because they'd snap him up (although I'm guessing he might not last on waivers). With 4 TE's on the roster and Hawkins back...

No, sorry. Schaeffer.

with Boley healthy and being the vet, I could see him getting the nod over Schaeffer.  Schaeffer has been in the system longer though and is younger and faster.  He's also more of a longterm mainstay where is Boley surely won't be around next year.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way.

Wouldn't it be the new DT getting cut with Still back? That guy Randall played very little, if at all. And it seems the candian would have a similar role. With Still back there is no more role and they could easily sign him back if needed.....I'd assume.

Wouldn't it be the new DT getting cut with Still back? That guy Randall played very little, if at all. And it seems the candian would have a similar role. With Still back there is no more role and they could easily sign him back if needed.....I'd assume.

well Randall was only here what, a week?

I'd think they'd want to stick with 4 DT's, like they were before the Atkins injury.  

well Randall was only here what, a week?

I'd think they'd want to stick with 4 DT's, like they were before the Atkins injury.  

Ideally, I'm sure they would, but does that 4th DT offer more than whoever else could get cut? I doubt it. They played with basically 2 DTs for a couple games there and the defense played well in both so they might be ok with just having the 3 healthy guys, all 3 of which can actually give you something.

Ideally, I'm sure they would, but does that 4th DT offer more than whoever else could get cut? I doubt it. They played with basically 2 DTs for a couple games there and the defense played well in both so they might be ok with just having the 3 healthy guys, all 3 of which can actually give you something.

well it'll come down to what they think they need more.  A 4th DT, a 7th WR or a 7th LB.  

sanu120923.jpg

The amazing thing about Bengals wide receiver Mohamed Sanu's second NFL pass against the Browns last week is not that he dropped a 25-yard dime over running back Giovani Bernard's shoulder as he went out of bounds. Or that he heaved it virtually across the field for about another 40 yards after getting the ball from quarterback Andy Dalton.

But the guy didn't even warm up before the game with a couple of tosses.

"Not if you don't need it," Sanu said. "You have to do it once when the play is called."

And he only threw it twice in practice the week before, and once to backup running back Rex Burkhead.

Put that on top of his 73-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver A.J. Green out of the Wildcat on the first play of last year's victory over Washington and Sanu has a perfect career passer rating of 158.3. Who needs layup lines? He now has the Bengals all-time lead over running back Archie Griffin's 144.8 passer rating on three of four passing for two touchdowns.

But it was Sanu's first touchdown catch of the season a few players later on a leaping six-yarder the Bengals hope ignites a run by the non-A.J. receivers. Since wide receiver Marvin Jones had four touchdown catches against the Jets on Oct. 27, Sanu's TD is the only one from Sanu, the other starter, and Jones, the third receiver.

And Dalton has had a tough time hooking up with them for completions in the last three games. In the previous four games he had gone to Jones 19 times with 17 catches for six touchdowns. Since then, Jones has had 16 targets for six catches with no TDs after making one catch last week on two tries against Cleveland.

Jones and Sanu are ranked 44th and 47th, respectively, in the NFL when it comes to catching percentage of targets, according to Pro Football Focus. Jones has just one drop and Sanu has five, according to PFF.

But offensive coordinator Jay Gruden doesn't see much difference in the way defenses are attacking his other options.

"The good thing is usually if they have a marquee corner like (Cleveland's) Joe Haden, (Jones) is usually going to get the second one," Gruden said. "He should have a matchup we feel good about every week. This last week it was just a weird game. We had those two early interceptions and then the next thing you know we're up 31-13 and it's windy and rainy and we really didn't have to throw the ball that much. We really feel like Marvin can go up against anybody and have a good day."

Jones says maybe corners have become a little more physical, but he sees no major differences in coverage. When the Ravens denied him six times on seven targets back on Nov. 10, Jones chalked that up to a defense with two safeties playing behind the coverage of him and Green on the outside (two-high), but he said no one is taking him away.  

"It's not like somebody is locking me up; that's not happening," Jones said. "All I can control is what I can control … there's no difference. I'm still the same guy. I'm still running the same routes and I've got to catch the ball when it comes my way."

Jones, a native of Orange County, is coming home Sunday (4:25 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 12) for the game in San Diego and it was right about this time last season in his rookie year he started to come on. It was also the stretch that Sanu didn't play last year because he broke his foot in practice the day before the Bengals left for San Diego for the game on Dec. 2.

Knock on wood and Sanu says he has been thinking about the games he missed.

"I was thinking during the bye week that this is the point I didn't play and I need to come off this week and keep making an impact," Sanu said.

He admitted he felt "a sigh of relief" after scoring last week as he tries to regain the touch from last year, when he scored four red-zone touchdowns in the three games before he got hurt.

But this is a much different looking receiving corps. Sanu started the season as the slot receiver, but now he's pretty much only playing first and second down with Dane Sanzenbacher and/or Andrew Hawkins in the slot with Green and Jones on the outside on third down. Last week, Sanu played 21 snaps while Sanzenbacher (20) and Hawkins (5) combined for 25.

"Coach has been using a lot of different guys. He knows what he's doing and we've got to let him do what he's doing," Sanu said. "It's tough with so many receivers. Everybody wants the ball and there's only one ball to pass around. You have to keep doing everything you can to spread the ball around and we've been doing a great job at that."

One of the questions dogging the Bengals offense is if the lack of consistency stems from having so many weapons and if the process is still ongoing about who fits where. But Gruden says he likes the diversity and believes it is one of the team's strengths.

"I like keeping people fresh and that’s the big thing. If you have a number of guys that can help you, we should never have a guy say he's tired," Gruden said. "So we can sub guys in and out and guys can be fresh and playing fast. If I see a guy on film running a route slowly because he's tired, then we're doing a poor job. Because there's no reason. We have able guys. Hopefully we have fresh guys all over the joint at receiver and tight end. We have to make sure we keep them fresh so they're running hard.

"Our guys are playing hard, they're running well and I feel good about any of these guys in the game at any given time. I really have no preference right now. If you ask what our favorite personnel grouping is, or who are our best receivers other than obviously A.J., I could go a lot of different ways. I feel good about all of them."

STILL BACK: The Bengals are hoping their defensive line rotation gets a boost Sunday with the return of second-year tackle Devon Still. It's a much different universe from the one where he injured his elbow against Detroit on Oct. 20. Still rejoins a line without two-time Pro Bowl tackle Geno Atkins and where tackles Domata Peko andBrandon Thompson have taken pretty much all the first and second down snaps inside.

"I look forward to helping any way I can. DP and Brandon are taking all the reps. They're getting tired out there," Still said, "It's good that we can somewhat get that rotation back in place."

Still worked for the first time Monday and said he had no problems with the elbow, but he's waiting to see how it responds Wednesday, when he expects the team will go in shoulder pads.

What has also happened since Atkins got hurt is that no one has had a true set position up front and while the club has only talked about using Still some at end, it could be an option.

"I played it in college in nickel," Still said. "They talked about it during games … like in cases where Mike (Johnson) and them got hurt and they had to come in and get checked. But it didn't play out that way because they ended up being able to go back into the game. Whatever position they want me to play on that line, I'll play."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Offense-needs-those-non-Green-options-Still-hopes-to-bolster-rotation-/d73b508a-63cd-4c3f-8114-53dfd11ca37e

freestore131126_630.jpg
Brandon Tate and Margus Hunt help out at the Freestore Foodbank on Tuesday.

One Bengal pulled double duty on Tuesday of Thanksgiving week when linebacker Vinny Rey surfaced at downtown Cincinnati's Freestore Foodbank at about 9 a.m. before moving on to assist Meals on Wheels later in the morning.

At the Freestore Foodbank, Rey joined wide receiver Brandon Tate and two rookies getting indoctrinated to a Bengals tradition, defensive end Margus Hunt and offensive lineman Tanner Hawkinson.

They loaded carts with turkeys and other food for a holiday meal at Freestore's Customer Connection Center in Over-the-Rhine.

“Holidays are a special time,” Freestore Foodbank's Sarah Cook said. “Holidays are also one of the most challenging times of the year for children and families in need. We truly appreciate the support of the Bengals in helping to give the gift of hope to those who need it most this holiday season.”

Rey and the Bengals are supporters of the Freestore Foodbank throughout the year. Rey works with the rubber duck regatta fundraiser as well as reaching out during the Christmas season.

The Freestore Foodbank closes at 7 p.m. Tuesday and reopens Wednesday from 8 a.m.-noon. During the first day of Thanksgiving Holiday Food Distribution, Freestore Foodbank supplied a holiday meal to 3,187 households and 8,037 people.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Giving-thanks/f55e76c4-8ef4-49c1-ac1f-7d2b911c857c

When Cornelius Ford, who hasn't worked since April, sits down with his three children this Thursday for dinner in Selma, Ala., Michael Johnson is near the top of his list.

"Thank you. Thank you to Michael Johnson, his mother and father, and anyone else who had anything to do with the program," Ford says. "I'm looking forward to the future. This is a real opportunity. I soaked up everything I could. There are a lot of people like me in this city and this is going to give them the opportunity to grow."

Johnson, the Bengals right end, may be their franchise player tagged for this season. But in his home of Dallas County, he is one of the keys to a franchise that has come so far and still has miles and millions to go hard in 'Bama's Black Belt.

Keys like Kay Ivey, who grew up in the next county over in Wilcox and taught school and worked in a bank on the way to becoming lieutenant governor. Two weeks ago she not only came to Selma to honor Ford and five others who are the first graduates of the MJ93 Foundation's Microsoft Certification Program, she also made Johnson lieutenant governor for a day.

"I just don't give those out," Ivey says. "I'm sort of stingy with the individuals I select to make that presentation. Obviously lieutenant governor is a very important office in our state and I do my best to give it credit and honor and I'm real proud of what Michael is doing."

There was a time in Alabama, and not all that long ago when Ivey attended classes at Auburn, the appointment of a 26-year-old African-American to the ceremonial post of Lieutenant Governor For a Day by the 69-year-old white female Lieutenant Governor herself would have been, well, let's just say the news wouldn't have been reserved for a press release in a sleepy Thanksgiving week. It would have topped off either every news cycle or the fiction bestseller list.

But Johnson and Ivey have clicked way past those days and are fixed on a future where technology rules. As Ivey notes, "Alabama is on the move," with the arrival of Airbus in Mobile earlier this year and the influx of automotive manufacturing that has helped cut the unemployment rate to 6.5 percent.

But their native Black Belt is behind, particularly in the microchip race in the region named for the farming topsoil that blankets the 18 counties between Selma and Montgomery.

"We're way behind. We still have places that don't use computers. It's amazing," Ford says. "There's a high demand for technicians as far as schools and businesses."

That was the idea behind the program, an outgrowth of Johnson's football camp last spring, where Microsoft put on a workshop for city's children. The program, which ran from July 1 - Nov. 14, cost $3,400 per student and preps them to become computer technicians with IT skills.   As part of the class, they were also given laptops and other materials and Johnson picked up the tab for everything.

"It was a great program because they brought in someone who could apply it to real life. It was easy to understand," Ford says. "In the next seven to nine days I'm going to take a test to be certified by the state to be a computer technician. They gave us a computer we can break down. Before this program, I didn't know anything about computers. I could surf the internet and that was about it.

"Now I can put one back together," Ford says. "I can fix them, upgrade them. I can take out the mother board, take out the power supply, the hard drive, the CD drive and put it all back together. I know what a network cord is.  A network card. Slip 'n slide. How many people in Selma could afford to take a course like this? Not many."

Ford, 30, left his kids to go all the way up north to Huntsville, Ala., to find a job as a cook at the beginning of this year because he couldn't find work in Selma. Before that, he had been a temp in a paper mill just outside Selma and got laid off. Then he had to come back in April when the restaurant went out of business.

"To get a job around here, you have to know somebody," Ford says and that's how he found out about the program.

He heard about it from an uncle and it turns out that another uncle, Rufus Ford, taught the course.

"He told me to be there at 8 a.m. on July 1 and I haven't looked back," Cornelius Ford says. "Three days a week. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It was my chance to do something with my life."

It's just the kind of moment that made the trip back home worthwhile for Ivey.

"It's a fine program and it's well needed in the Selma area," Ivey says.  "We know technology and the computer industry grows four times faster than any other segment of industry. It's very timely and worthy that these skills are focused in that area and for Michael to provide this training for them is just huge. It's a great example of those of us who were raised in the Black Belt. We know the importance of doing your very best at all times and helping those around you."

Johnson is on the same ticket with Ivey when it comes to giving back.

"Everyone knows when I'm done playing I'm going back home to Selma," Johnson says. "Whatever I can do to help make the community better. It's about change. I thank the people who took the course. They're the ones that did the work and stuck with it. And there are going to be more of these courses on the way.

"As professional athletes, we have a platform to do so many things," Johnson says. "Why don't you start in your hometown area with the people who groomed you and raised you?"

But politics? After all, he's already served a day in the second highest office in the land that stretches beyond the Black Belt.

"I wouldn't rule it out," Johnson says. "But I would only do it if I thought that was the only way I could get even more accomplished. If I needed to make some changes, I would do it. But if I could stay behind the scenes like I do now, I'm cool with that."

They have yet to meet. Ivey did spend time with Johnson's parents at the presentation and came away like everybody else impressed with the family's ideals and execution.

"I haven't a clue," says Ivey when asked if Johnson has a future in politics. "But I'd sure welcome him. He'd be a credit to public service anywhere he might choose it."

But for the moment, the only thing Johnson is legislating is hope. And for a guy sitting down with his three kids Thursday, that is a helping of everything.

"Now it's not a matter if I can get a job," Cornelius Ford says. "Now, it's more like when and where."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Helping-of-hope/ccff3ae1-33a7-44c3-8b9f-889875487e44

Updated: Tuesday, November 26 2013, 11:13 PM EST LATONIA, Ky. (Rich Jaffe) -- It's the season of giving and, for a couple of Cincinnati Bengals it's the season of delivering too! Vontaze Burfict and Vincent Rey took over delivering Meals on Wheels Tuesday morning to a bunch of very appreciative Northern Kentucky senior citizens.  Local 12's Rich Jaffe found the gift of kindness truly does mean that those who give get something in return. Northern Kentucky Senior Services delivers more than 80,000 meals a year to seniors in 8 counties.  Tuesday's lunch was even more special than usual because it was delivered by two Bengals Linebackers, Vontaze Burfict and Vinnie Rey. Hugging them Brenda Young said, "It's great that you all come to see an old woman." Roger Bone got a signed apron with his noon meal. Vontaze told Local 12, "It's great. You can tell by the look on his face, you can tell he's kinda of nervous and shy don't know if it's because of the camera crew or Bengals player coming to his door but it was just great to see that kind of face on an elderly person. Just to make his day and hopefully he enjoys the meal and he will always remember the apron." Most of the Meals on Wheels clients are home-bound and in many cases have no one else caring for them, so a regular visitor like this is a welcome addition to their day. Ken Rechtin's the Executive Director of Senior Service of Northern Kentucky. He tells Local 12, "They don't want to go into an assisted living facility and they don't want to be in a nursing home. So anything we can do, bring them a meal, take them to and from doctors care, which is another component of our services here, which keeps their home for a longer time.  She's happier and financially it makes sense for the community as well." A long time Bengals fan, Tom Pieper hasn't been able to handle stadium steps for 9 years. Tuesday though he got his hat signed and he got to talk about last week's touchdown with a couple of his favorite guys. He says, "It was 6,7 guys in the heap he came out of the pile and he didn't get touched and scored...that amazed me that nobody touched him they were all laying on the ground."  While these two professional ball players are accustomed to the adoration of their fans the reception they were getting Tuesday is a little bit different and a lot more meaningful.  Vinnie Rey tells Local 12, "I'm honored to be one of those guys. I'm so thankful. I know it seems like they're getting a lot out of it, but it goes both ways, I'm getting a lot out of it too." As did we all, in Latonia, Rich Jaffe, Local 12 News. Only 85-percent of the Meals on Wheels program comes from government funding.  Northern Kentucky Senior Services counts on donations for the rest of its expenses.  It also operates 10-senior centers in the 8-county region, offering nutrition, social outreach, physical fitness, and education opportunities for seniors.

http://youtu.be/qiRr2UtjLFY

Read More at: http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/-bengals-give-back-deliver-lunch-elderly-5011.shtml

With the Cincinnati Bengals taking a 20-13 lead following an offense that finally awoke from their slumber and a defense that forced their first turnover of the game, the San Diego Chargers only need a touchdown to tie the game with an expiring clock and two timeouts. Following a 14-yard completion to Ronnie Brown, consecutive incomplete passes and a 17-yard reception to Danario Alexander, the game reaches the Two Minute warning while the Chargers began threatening from the 49-yard line.

That was the opening paragraph during our postgame reaction to Cincinnati's eventual 20-13 win over the San Diego Chargers last season. Adam Jones was called for defensive holding on the following playing and Philip Rivers completed a pair of passes to Danario Alexander and Malcolm Floyd for a combined 27 yards, reaching the Bengals 17-yard with 1:11 remaining in the game. Plenty of time on the clock, with two timeouts sitting in San Diego's pocket, this felt like a game that Cincinnati was destined to lose.

Rivers steps into the pocket to avoid the parameter pass rush from Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson on first down. Rivers finds Malcolm Floyd's fade towards the front left pylon. Despite Chris Crocker trailing the route, the pass fell inches short. Incomplete. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer dialed up an all-out blitz, bringing seven defenders and forcing Rivers to throw off his back foot. With Leon Hall disrupting Alexander's route, Rivers threw the football outside of arm's reach. Incomplete. On third down, Robert Geathers looped around Carlos Dunlap and forced another errant throw, well outside of Brown's reach -- if he caught the football, he would have been out of bounds by five yards.

Fourth down. San Diego calls a timeout. Would Zimmer blitz the house or drop everyone into coverage? Terence Newman played Floyd physical off the line of scrimmage and when Rivers tried to lead his receiver down the right sidelines, center fielder Reggie Nelson read the desperation throw and intercepted the football, sealing Cincinnati's win with 50 seconds remaining in the game.

nelsonpickint_medium.jpg

Exactly one year later and San Diego represents the greatest passing threat that Cincinnati will face for the next five games. Currently ranked fourth in the NFL, averaging 296.9 yards passing, Philip Rivers is having a monster season. He's thrown for at least 390 yards passing in four games this year (Chargers are 3-1) -- no one in the NFL has done it five times in season... ever. And during another three games this season, Rivers completed 80 percent of his throws with at least 20 completions (Chargers are 2-1). No one in the NFL has done that four times in a season... ever.

Tied with Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, Rivers leads the NFL with most 20-yard completions (47) and second with 172 passes resulting in a first down. The weapons he's surrounded with have been brilliant, such as rookie wide receiver Keenan Allen, who leads all NFL rookies with 50 receptions and 737 yards receiving. Receiver Eddie Royal has a career-best seven touchdowns already and free agent pickup Danny Woodhead has also set career marks in receptions (59), yards receiving (469) and touchdown receptions (50) -- all of which are most by a running back this year.

Yet, we're talking about Cincinnati's defense. Mike Zimmer's crew, a mad scientist display of confusion, bloody lips and creative coverage to hide some of the issues in the secondary (aka, make you worry about the pass rush). Cincinnati has already beaten Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford and Ben Roethlisberger this year, and placed Rivers in their deep pocket of defeat last year as described above.

When Rivers takes to the field, he'll be facing one of his toughest tests against a defense that currently holds the league's sixth-best passing defense (211.1 yards/game) and have frustrated opposing quarterbacks to a passer rating of 74.0 (only the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks have secured lower passing scores). They've limited opposing quarterbacks to only 28 passes beyond 20 yards (fifth in the NFL) and their 34 quarterback sacks is three off the league leaders (tied by five different teams).

Sunday's game will be a test of tests. San Diego is coming off an emotional victory resulting from a last-second touchdown to secure a win over Kansas City. Cincinnati is exiting their bye week with a rising Pittsburgh Steelers squad that's suddenly on their heals. This will be the battle of the game.

The wild card? Andy Dalton of course, facing a passing defense that's 27th in the NFL with only six interceptions (t-27th in the league) and an opposing quarterback rating of 102.7 (31st in the NFL). It's a perfect storm for Dalton to sing his redemption song.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-chargers/2013/11/27/5149768/bengals-at-chargers-will-be-a-test-for-both-teams

Archived