Super bowl or bust.....

To go a bit further on that previous post, Andy's salary is actually just under $1M a year for 2014. 

So let's look at 2 options:

A. Sign an extension now for 5 extra years (6 years total) at $13.5M a year:

2014-$13.5M

2015-$13.5M

2016-$13.5M

2017-$13.5M

2018-$13.5M

2019-$13.5M

Total money=$81M

B. Play out 2014 and sign a 5 year extension at $16M a year.

2014-$1M

2015-$16M

2016-$16M

2017-$16M

2018-$16M

2019-$16M

Total money=$81M

So to answer your question of why he would sign for $13M or $14M a year now vs. waiting and seeing if he can get $16 or $17M next offseason...

It's because he ends up at about the same total earnings without all of the risk. 

But aren't total earnings basically meaningless to him? In other words, isn't he looking for the most money, guaranteed?  IMO that's the biggest factor here and one I don't see in your analysis.

This is the last year of Marvins deal though.

And there is a lot at stake- assuming Dalton and Marvin dont get new contracts before the end of the season- two very big pieces (how important of pieces they are is up for debate) could change next offseason. And If Marvin goes, there will be a ripple effect. Personally, I wish Hue would get the HC job and Marvin would take a front office role. I know people have been saying that for years- but he's no youngster anymore and his face just looks like he is beat down by the rigors of NFL coaching each time I see him. Maybe he is ready after this season to take an office job.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was extended through 2015.

Sounds great, but I don't think they'll go from Cutler's 17M/year down to 13M.  I could see 15M, MAYBE, but if I'm Dalton I'm still not sure that I just don't bet on myself.  The potential upside is much greater than a downside, with only injury being the real argument against.

But aren't total earnings basically meaningless to him? In other words, isn't he looking for the most money, guaranteed?  IMO that's the biggest factor here and one I don't see in your analysis.

Of course total earnings aren't meaningless to him. They are one of, probably the biggest, sticking point in the negotiations. There's a high chance that he, like most Bengals who get extensions, will see the entire contract through. The Bengals haven't been a team who puts fake years on the end. If he signs a 5 year extension, he will likely play 5 more years here so the total money earned is the primary piece of negotiations. 

Also, my "analysis" was simply a response to your post that I quoted above that doesn't mention anything at all about guaranteed money. I was just showing how you get from Cutler's $17M to Dalton's $13M based upon the fact that Dalton is already under contract for 2014 for $1M. That's kind of a big deal compared to Cutler who signed his extension when he was an unrestricted FA.

If Cutler had a cheap year still left that he was under contract when he signed his extension, his deal would have come in at almost exactly $13M per year over the first 6 years...

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he was extended through 2015.

Shit, yeah you are right. Damn it. I thought that extension just kept him here through this season. Guess we'll have to wait a few more years to win a playoff game. Not that another two years matters after like 25 years or whatever it's been

Of course total earnings aren't meaningless to him. They are one of, probably the biggest, sticking point in the negotiations. There's a high chance that he, like most Bengals who get extensions, will see the entire contract through. The Bengals haven't been a team who puts fake years on the end. If he signs a 5 year extension, he will likely play 5 more years here so the total money earned is the primary piece of negotiations. 

Also, my "analysis" was simply a response to your post that I quoted above that doesn't mention anything at all about guaranteed money. I was just showing how you get from Cutler's $17M to Dalton's $13M based upon the fact that Dalton is already under contract for 2014 for $1M. That's kind of a big deal compared to Cutler who signed his extension when he was an unrestricted FA.

If Cutler had a cheap year still left that he was under contract when he signed his extension, his deal would have come in at almost exactly $13M per year over the first 6 years...

I think Dalton realizes that a QB who underperforms a massive deal is much more likely to be cut than other position players, even by the Bengals. So the guarantee will matter more to him. If he signs, the structure of the deal will be very interesting to see...one thing is for sure, Andy's agent will have earned every cent of his commission on a potential deal.

I just don't understand why the Bengals seem to covet future year flexibility so highly when they cut guys probably as rarely as any other team in the NFL.

Shit, yeah you are right. Damn it. I thought that extension just kept him here through this season. Guess we'll have to wait a few more years to win a playoff game. Not that another two years matters after like 25 years or whatever it's been

tumblr_m1xzvqrBdo1qbgguvo1_1280.png

Archived