Football themed funerals ?...

Numbers

http://www.wdrb.com/story/25772138/funeral-of-new-orleans-woman-takes-a-play-from-weekend-at-bernies

Funeral of New Orleans woman takes a play from 'Weekend at Bernie's'

3961972_G.jpg

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A New Orleans woman's funeral took a play from Weekend at Bernie's.

During her funeral, she was propped up at the table with a cigarette in hand, a glass of beer and there's even disco lights.

Miriam Burbank, age 53, said she loved a cold beer, an occasional scotch and the New Orleans Saints, so the funeral home tried to combine all that in her wake. Her loved ones thought it was the perfect way to honor her.

"When I walked in, I feel like I was in her house and I didn't hurt so much," said Sherline Burbank, her sister. "Because it's more of her, and it's like she's not dead. It's not like a funeral. It's like she's just in the room with us."

Her fingernails are even painted black and gold for the Saints.

Just so you know, this is not out of the norm apparently...

http://www.daveschultz.com/2011/05/unique-funeral-in-alabama-for-steeler-fan/

Unique Funeral in Alabama For Steeler Fan

image002.jpg

THE MEMORIAL STONE

Billy died . . . .  His will provided $30,000 for this elaborate funeral.

As the last guests departed the affair, his wife, Joyce, turned to her oldest and dearest friend, Jonelle.   “Well, I’m sure Billy would be pleased,” she said.

“I’m sure you’re right,” replied  Jonelle, wholowered her voice and leaned in close. “How much did this really cost?”

“All of it,” said Joyce .. “Thirty thousand dollars.”

“No!” Jonelle exclaimed.  “I mean, it was very nice, but $30,000?”

Joyce answered, “The funeral was $6,500.  I donated $500 to the church. The whiskey, wine, food and snacks were another $500.  The rest went for the Memorial Stone.”

Jonelle quickly computed the total of $7,500 and said “$22,500 for a Memorial Stone? My God, how big is it?”

Joyce answered, “Two and a half carats!”

If the soul or spirit of a recently dead person could even witness their own funeral, I am sure they'd view the whole thing as an incredible waste of time, regardless of whether it was a tastefully done "beautiful memorial" or something like one of these things where the dead body serves as some kind of grotesque mannequin with stage props.

Grieving is for the living, the dead are free from that shit (well...at least I hope and believe so). 

Archived