Patriots favored 2 1/2- 3 over the Bengals

Well when you've got a nation of fans that sat through the tragicomedy that was SB XL & are still convinced there's no game fixing, mafia informants detailing how it occurs, etc.. I'm not sure what it would take to convince them other than a zombie Al Capone handing a bag of cash to Ed Hochuli at midfield.

:biglaugh:

But yeah, Super Bowl* XL... :mellow:

You really think nobody bribes NFL refs? Ever?

All the other major sports have had game-changing gambling scandals, yet somehow the NFL has not.

You really think that's because a league with well-documented connections to gambling and organized crime is just that squeaky clean and honest?

Get real.

IDK that there's widespread game fixing league-wide, but you'd have to be incredibly naive to think that it doesn't happen. Look at the gambling ring involving Gretzky's wife & the New Jersey police's Operation Slapshot & Superbowl XL. Nah, those were just terrible idiot refs. Sure.

It's no longer a conspiracy *theory* when people get indicted for it, y'know. At that point it's just a conspiracy.

Ask yourself, what makes more sense: The Vegas bookies would never allow it so it must not ever happen, or they are in on the action. Seems painfully obvious to me, but hey, maybe you think Roger Goodell is an honest & upstanding leader & role model, too.

You really think if games were fixed on any sort of regular basis that someone would not have come out with a tell all book by now?  There would be a fortune in that.

This quote was originally on a different topic, but it is equally applicable:

Watergate embroiled 12 of the most powerful men in the world-and they couldn't keep a lie for three weeks. You're telling me 12 apostles could keep a lie for 40 years? Absolutely impossible.” 
Charles Colson

The Books in Las Vegas would have sniffed that out years ago...

The books in Vegas would have the most to gain by fixing. Yes after years of watching lines, action , calls. I do believe they are fixed. And I hate it cause it's my fav sport.
Too often the obvious game of the week goes the other way routinely.
Not orchestrated by the entire team rosters. But maybe call down to a ref to throw a flag. Or have a guy fumble or throw a pick
Just my opinion. And for all that think my take is obsurd. I think the same about folks who don't believe billions of dollars bet would not have outside influence

I think it's a combination of point shaving that can be a little hamfisted, an attempt to keep games halfway close, and perception bias.

So let me put it a different way: Why doesn't the NFL have full time refs & a minimum salary for officials that makes bribing them cost more than a week with the fam at Disney World? How many times have you watched a lowly line judge consistently spot a team short?

The fact that the league was willing to use scab refs instead of addressing these issues, so I can only conclude they are complicit. The NFL needs their own Kennesaw Landis to clean shit up, & obviously not just gambling.

Condi! She's a Browns fan FFS!

You really think if games were fixed on any sort of regular basis that someone would not have come out with a tell all book by now?  There would be a fortune in that.

This quote was originally on a different topic, but it is equally applicable:

If your life. Your family and friends lives were threatened. Yeah I'd say you would keep quiet

Archived