** The 2015 Draft BlackJesus Wish List **

That's a good highlight reel, but he's not actually searchable in the NFL prospects from NFL.com or CBS ... did he attend the combine?

watch him turn the corner....great body lean and virtually 90 degrees. he'll likely be an undrafted CFA, but i want the bengals to use a late round pick on him, so there's zero chance someone's FA bid is more lucrative than theirs. he'll be a project type, but i love the risk/reward he offers. he plays with a lot of heart too, so i'd have no concerns with his ability to fit on special teams while he evolves.

watch him turn the corner....great body lean and virtually 90 degrees. he'll likely be an undrafted CFA, but i want the bengals to use a late round pick on him, so there's zero chance someone's FA bid is more lucrative than theirs. he'll be a project type, but i love the risk/reward he offers. he plays with a lot of heart too, so i'd have no concerns with his ability to fit on special teams while he evolves.

And that's exactly why he jumps out imo. Don't even look at the measureables.  The guy can do that super rare thing that equates to major pass rushing success. He also has extraordinary burst and get-off, which is the thing I've been most disappointed in by this year's draft class - first rounders included.

He's so off the radar you imagine he'd be an UDFA, but I also wouldn't be surprised if we went as high as the 5th just because he has that trait that does seem to be so sorely lacking. 

The comp I made with him on footballpros is the one I'm sticking with: David Pollack.

BTW, BJ, given your love of size above pretty much all else, I'm surprised you haven't been going nuts about David Irving.  He's got character flags, so he should also suit you that way.  But he pretty much defines physical freak with lightning fast get-off.  Here he is destroying the "best OL in the draft" Brandon Scherff (among others):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoI52N6MPFM

Overview

Charged with domestic assault in November 2013 against the mother of his 2 year old child. Was suspended for a game, but charges were dropped two months later. In 2014, took part in VEISHEA, which was the largest student run festival in the nation, bringing in tens of thousands of visitors to the campus each year. A riot ensued and pictures of Irving walking with a stop sign made its way onto social media. He was charged with 5th degree theft, disorderly conduct and criminal mischief. He was dismissed from the team before the 2014 season.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.84 seconds
Vertical jump: 38 inches
Broad jump: 10 feet, 8 inches
Short shuttle: 4.53 seconds
3-cone: 7.27 seconds Analysis Strengths (Based on 2013 tape) Has a great frame with room to fill out into much thicker player. Long arms with ability to keep blockers off of him. Does a nice job with his hands getting quick punch and working to control the line of scrimmage. Moves well down the line and plays off of the guard on stretch plays looking to leverage the outside shoulder. Operates with quick swim move. Good motor and will pursue down the field. Weaknesses (Based on 2013 tape) Frame thin for interior line position. Showed some ability to hold up at point of attack, but leverage is a concern on push pocket as pass rusher. Bottom Line Has potential to be a factor in camp if he gets his shot. Problems off the field are a concern and he's been vocal on social media about his disappointment how things went down at Iowa State. Needs more weight on his frame, but that might have taken place during his time off. Has ability to 2-gap with length and is an intriguing 3-4 defensive end project with draftable talent before being kicked off the team.  

I'm surprised you haven't been going nuts about David Irving. 

:39: I love his size and wingspan. He reminds me of MJ actually (or Arik). It's been reported that at 6'7, Irving has an 87 3/4-inch wingspan, and they say he can tie his shoes while standing up.

Representatives from seven NFL teams showed up at his workout: the Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks.

Since he didn't play last season he hasn't been included in many prospect evaluations. But he's worth a look I think.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481139/article/exiowa-state-dt-david-irving-works-out-for-seven-nfl-teams

Yeah, and in fact, I can't really see how/why Arik is all that much better tbh.  Armstead is heavier but that's about it.

Irving is .3 seconds faster in the 40, with .06 faster 10 yard split, and he has much better jumping and cone numbers too.  Lastly, in the (admittedly very little) tape I've been able to find of him, he really jumps out in a way that Armstead hasn't really for me...

Edit: and ftr, Irving is officially 6'7 3/4, so almost Margus territory. 

He played DT, but could obviously also play DE...

Weaknesses: Needs to finish routes. Will stop or occasionally adjust route, putting quarterback in danger of an interception. Can improve use of body to shield defenders from the ball. Run blocking can improve. Could use a little more fire in that department. Focus drops have been an issue at times, dropping 13 passes over the last two seasons.

Bottom Line: Won't dazzle with blazing speed or outrageous size, but is good in both categories. Complete receiver with game-changing ability to win downfield. Has the skill and twitch to be a consistent, high-volume target in the short and intermediate games with the ability to produce against any coverage. Cooper won't be able to run roughshod over NFL safeties like he did in college, but he should be able to help a passing game improve quickly.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/amari-cooper?id=2552487

Scout: Amari Cooper lacks 'wow' factor of Sammy Watkins

--> http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000442609/article/scout-amari-cooper-lacks-wow-factor-of-sammy-Watkins

West Virginia WR Kevin White has 'higher ceiling' than Amari Cooper, NFL Network's Mike Mayock says

--> http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/02/west_virginia_wr_kevin_white_h.html

^ That's who I would compare Amari Cooper to as well ... Torry Holt with the Rams.

How is comparing Amari Cooper to Torry Holt somehow indicative that Cooper's just an okay player?

Holt had 6 straight seasons with 1300 yards or more including a couple with 1600+. His best season he had 117 catches, 1,696 yards and 12 TDs. 

I get the argument that Cooper doesn't have the wow factor of DGB or White, mainly because they have great size. But I also think that in today's NFL, size at WR is overrated. With the way the rules are today, quickness and burst to get separation is the #1 asset because guys can't hold downfield anymore. Antonio Brown, Randall Cobb, TY Hilton, Odell Beckham, Jr., Emmanuel Sanders, Julian Edelman, etc. 

Cooper's open field burst and quickness is pretty special and I think he compares favorably physically with most of the guys I listed above who were all impact players last year. He may or may not deserve to go ahead of White, but he absolutely should go well ahead of DGB given all the off the field risk. 

I have a few last minute players to add to my wish list, who I'd call my "late risers", or physically gifted players worth taking a shot on because of their athletic ability perhaps more than their play thus far on the field. Some are also gifted players who played at positions I didn’t really look into much (notably DE) because I felt the Bengals were set after getting MJ back. However, I figure might as well not neglect the full Dline, and list a player or two in the secondary (I’ve added one S and CB).  They would be ...

WR

Chris Conley

6’2, 213 lbs, Georgia  (2/3)

TE

Blake Bell

6’6, 252 lbs, Oklahoma  (5/6)

DE

Owamagbe Odighizuwa

6’3, 267 lbs, UCLA  (2)

Danielle Hunter

6’5, 252 lbs, LSU  (2)

Preston Smith

6’5, 271 lbs, Miss St.  (2/3)

Frank Clark

6’3, 271 lbs, Michigan  (3/4)

DT

David Irving

6’7, 272 lbs, Iowa State  (4/5)

OLB

Alani Fua

6’5, 238 lbs, BYU  (3/4)

Jordan Hicks

6’1, 236 lbs, Texas  (4/5)

CB

Byron Jones

6’1, 199 lbs, UConn  (3/4)

FS

Eric Rowe

6’1, 205 lbs, Utah  (3/4)

My First Full Bengals Mock Draft (4/3)  :icon15:

(what they should do, not what they will do)

21. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Missouri

53. Shaq Thompson, OLB, Washington

85. Donovan Smith, OT, Penn State

99. Kyle Emanuel, OLB, N. Dakota St.

120. Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware

135. Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon St.

157. Jeff Luc, MLB, Cincinnati

196. Xavier Williams, DT, Northern Iowa

238. Jeff Obarski, K, Concordia

Result ...

sr3-06_z.jpg

635549511661436855-bengals-48-2014.12.22

That's not bad. DGB isn't my first choice, but I wouldn't dislike the pick. Same with Shaq in the 2nd. 

I don't see why we'd be drafting 3 LBs that early though. The only way that many LBs would make sense is if they know for sure Burfict is out for the season. Otherwise, I don't understand it.

• 2 weeks later...

With a week until the draft, I figured I'd release my top 10 list of players I just like for a myriad of reasons ...

pIM0doe.gif

TOP 10 BJ Boner Busters

1. Dorial Green-Beckham, WR

2. Randy Gregory, OLB

3. Jordan Phillips, DT

4. Shaq Thompson, OLB

5. Benardrick McKinney, MLB

6. Denzel Perryman, MLB

7. Devin Funchess, WR

8. Sean Mannion, QB

9. Sammie Coates, WR

10. Jeff Luc, MLB

TRUE STORY: I had a dream last night that the Bengals drafted ...

DT Jordan Phillips 6’5, 330 lbs, in RD 1 -- and then Donovan Smith 6’6, 340 lbs, in RD 2.

Then the marketing campaign for the team was "Come see the new dancing bears" on the billboards.

tvcxqy.gif

* Overall I'd be happy with that, and think it would mean they were drafting for Big Boy AFC North trenches December football.

Updated my list to cross off those drafted in Rd 1 ... didn't lose that many guys, and in fact 9 of my 10 Boner Busters are all still there ... top of round 2 is where I think the real talent is in this draft.

Either you're real lucky your guys are still there, or a horrible evaluater of talent :lol:   

Either you're real lucky your guys are still there, or a horrible evaluater of talent :lol:   

I think this draft more than any I can ever remember has a bunch of rd 2-3 talent, and then it drops off the Universe after that ... it also was not strong at the top ... most of the guys picked yesterday I don't think will be stars. In fact, I think the pro bowlers out of this class will come from Rd 2.

I think this draft more than any I can ever remember has a bunch of rd 2-3 talent, and then it drops off the Universe after that ... it also was not strong at the top ... most of the guys picked yesterday I don't think will be stars. In fact, I think the pro bowlers out of this class will come from Rd 2.

Round 2 does seem to have more value players.

Archived