ESPN Mock 2017 Draft

I have ESPN insider but won't post the article for legal concerns. But, I think it's legal to post excerpts. With that, McShay has the Bengals selecting 26th:

26. Cincinnati Bengals

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State*

Cook has the lateral quickness to make guys miss in the hole and the breakaway speed to pull away from the defense. Listed at 5-foot-11 and 206 pounds, he's a little undersized -- not unlike current Bengals running back Giovani Bernard, who's set to hit free agency after next season.

I don't agree with this at all. By the way, he has the Stealers selecting Raekwon McMillan for OSU in the 29th spot. If Raekwon is there at 26, I think the Bengals would take him since Dansby is no spring chicken. I realize Raekwon is an ILB, but he seems to have the right aptitude (like Burfict) to play in any of the LB spots.

And fuck them for projecting the Stealers above the Bengals next year...

Talking about 'next year' is for losers.  I had plenty of talking about 'next year' in the 90s.  I'll talk about 'next year' after this year is over and the Bengals bring home a championship.

Besides, it's way too early to be predicting where any of these college guys go in the draft.  Last year at this time, people were talking about 'fail for Cardale', thinking Cardale Jones would be the #1 overall pick.  Things are going to change so much of the next year that current rankings are all but meaningless.

Talking about 'next year' is for losers.  I had plenty of talking about 'next year' in the 90s.  I'll talk about 'next year' after this year is over and the Bengals bring home a championship.

Besides, it's way too early to be predicting where any of these college guys go in the draft.  Last year at this time, people were talking about 'fail for Cardale', thinking Cardale Jones would be the #1 overall pick.  Things are going to change so much of the next year that current rankings are all but meaningless.

Slow your roll, tex. Losers? C'mon.

Some people love scouting prospects and college football almost as much as they like watching the Bengals. I watch college football primarily for that reason. I like to see who's who and fantasize about what might be down the line. It also makes college football more interesting and meaningful to me than it might be otherwise. 

It seems that you've appointed yourself the arbiter of reality, but how about you let people have their small joys? Or are you so much of a grouch that we must all suffer life alongside you?

No offense was intended.

I just had enough of 'wait until next year' thinking back in the '90s when all we had was next year.  Now that the team doesn't suck, I prefer to fully immerse myself in the present and think about next year .... next year.  I hope we end up with terrible draft position and no chance at landing any of the top prospects, because that means we will be successful this year.

Cook's good and the 2017 draft is going to be loaded at RB. Don't see us going that direction though.

Way too early to be talking about next year's draft, but just for discussion's sake, I'd say the following could be early-round needs:

1. WR- Boyd is probably going to be a rich-man's Sanu. We don't necessarily need to have a second big-time outside guy as well, but it is definitely a want. If some of the young guys pan out at other positions, think we could be in position to go WR in the 1st or 2nd round again. Maybe the Fuller/Coleman type with sub-4.4 speed

2. DE- Dunlap and MJ are signed forever, but still would be nice to get MJ's heir apparent in place soon and also to upgrade the backup options at DE. We've been in need of another pass-rusher at the position for a while.

3. OT- Hopefully Fisher/Ogbuehi solve this position long-term. But there's been some speculation from Lapham that maybe Fisher's an interior guy. Even if those guys are starters, we'll need a top backup OT in the pipeline since Winston and Whitworth are nearing the end (and FAs). 

Cook's good and the 2017 draft is going to be loaded at RB. Don't see us going that direction though.

Way too early to be talking about next year's draft, but just for discussion's sake, I'd say the following could be early-round needs:

1. WR- Boyd is probably going to be a rich-man's Sanu. We don't necessarily need to have a second big-time outside guy as well, but it is definitely a want. If some of the young guys pan out at other positions, think we could be in position to go WR in the 1st or 2nd round again. Maybe the Fuller/Coleman type with sub-4.4 speed

2. DE- Dunlap and MJ are signed forever, but still would be nice to get MJ's heir apparent in place soon and also to upgrade the backup options at DE. We've been in need of another pass-rusher at the position for a while.

3. OT- Hopefully Fisher/Ogbuehi solve this position long-term. But there's been some speculation from Lapham that maybe Fisher's an interior guy. Even if those guys are starters, we'll need a top backup OT in the pipeline since Winston and Whitworth are nearing the end (and FAs). 

Whit is already at his end. He's the main reason James Harrison is returning another season. Harrison owned him in that playoff debacle. Whit can't handle fast edge rushers

Archived