Running Game

Anyone notice how often this team was pulling the guards in the running game this preseason? The running game looked completely revamped from a year ago.

I'm curious as to why we virtually saw none of this week 1 vs. the Jets. Dalton was basically never under center. I noticed about 1 pistol formation, and it just seemed like they had reverted back to using Hill in ways that don't match his strengths. I'd like to see them stick with a small staple of power and counter plays and run them effectively. 

We've had one pass-happy OC after another under Marvin.  Of course at the end of the season the numbers will be close to 50/50, but situationally we're splitting our best OL out as a slot WR.  They consistently out-think themselves.  Bratfailski was the worst - the man could beat himself at solitaire - a trait he seems to have passed on to Hue.  Outside of them we've had an arena-league vet and now a former QB coach.

Of course the jury is still out on Zampese, but so far I expect more of the pissing-down-our-leg playcalls that have us lining up in a shotgun on 3rd & 1.  Against the Jets we had all of 5 rushing attempts in the first half, one of which I believe was actually a Dalton scramble for a yard or two that realistically could be counted as the 8th sack on the day.  How can we say the running game wasn't working when we ran it all of 5 times?  Football is a game of attrition & that seems to be lost on our OC's as we go to the well of 8-10 yard out patterns over and over and over, until finally one gets picked.  Telling the defense they don't have to play the run is how you end up with a 7-sack day.

Beyond that, this is the AFCN.  Fuck a finesse offense.  We don't play in domes.

So maybe this is all part of some grand strategy and we're going to get Gio & Hill involved again.  Otherwise our inability to run the ball, or more accurately looking for an excuse to abandon it at the first opportunity, is going to to get our QB knocked out again and cost us games.

The entire league is pass happy.  All the screwy formations with Whitworth split out actually worked!  I do think the strength of the Jets DL led to the gameplan.  Falling behind in the first half didn't help either.  We will see what happens this week, but I think the days of "smashmouth" football are over.  The Squealers are even a passing team.  Yes, I would expect to see more running from the Bengals, but all this BS about a power offense is nostalgia.  The skill of the players and the rules of the game make passing the way to run an offense in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The entire league is pass happy.  All the screwy formations with Whitworth split out actually worked!  I do think the strength of the Jets DL led to the gameplan.  Falling behind in the first half didn't help either.  We will see what happens this week, but I think the days of "smashmouth" football are over.  The Squealers are even a passing team.  Yes, I would expect to see more running from the Bengals, but all this BS about a power offense is nostalgia.  The skill of the players and the rules of the game make passing the way to run an offense in the NFL.  

Yeah, I think that's mostly hype.  The NFL wants a passing league because the casual fan finds that more exciting, so they rarely enforce OPI or offensive holding to make that happen.   If you want Dalton on the field in December they need to run the ball.

I think it's also worth noting that this passing league has gouged our defense for around 200 rushing yards a game in playoff loss after playoff loss.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

We've had one pass-happy OC after another under Marvin.  Of course at the end of the season the numbers will be close to 50/50, but situationally we're splitting our best OL out as a slot WR.  They consistently out-think themselves.  Bratfailski was the worst - the man could beat himself at solitaire - a trait he seems to have passed on to Hue.  Outside of them we've had an arena-league vet and now a former QB coach.

You actually bashed a play that seems to pick up at least 8+ yards every single time they use it. Damn them for using a play that teams have yet to stop!

12 hours ago, Jason said:

Dalton is one of the best players on the team now.  He is good enough to win games with his arm.  I'm sure we want to run, but we don't "have to" anymore.  

You "have to" run the ball at least sometimes to keep the defense guessing and to alleviate the pass rush.

15 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

You actually bashed a play that seems to pick up at least 8+ yards every single time they use it. Damn them for using a play that teams have yet to stop!

Hm, I remember it failing miserably in the playoff game.  I admit this could be some kind of repressed memory thing.

11 hours ago, Bunghole said:

You "have to" run the ball at least sometimes to keep the defense guessing and to alleviate the pass rush.

My point exactly.  After a game in which the QB was beaten like pinata I'd think this was obvious.

Archived