Bengals Training Camp and Pre-season Thread -News and Obs - 2023

^ I'm not saying rest them during the regular season when the games actually count. I'm saying don't risk losing a key player in a meaningless exhibition game

Especially because the other team might be playing 3rd stringers who will be selling insurance in a few weeks, and in their eagerness to make their squad, they may play more recklessly aggressive and get one of your own guys hurt.

Regular starters usually know when to make a "business decision" in the regular season ... But guys hungry to make the squad in the pre-season don't. Which could mean more shots at the knee or unorthodox tackling / hits. 

And it has nothing to do with fragility. Every live action play in the NFL is a spin of the roulette wheel with a 1% chance of injury. So why take unnecessary spins when you don't have to?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Consider this ... Burrow wears an orange jersey in camp and practice because you don't want him taking unnecessary hits. That's the rationale behind it. 

So if you don't trust your own players to hit Burrow in practice (and they would have no malice and be extra cautious), why in the hell would you trust a player from another team to hit him in a practice just because the owners sell tickets to it (i.e. preseason games)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

A starter or two will be injured this year and miss at least a couple of games, probably worse. That's a given, worrying about it and trying to carry them around in bubble wrap isn't going to change anything.

They’ve been to the SB and AFC championship the last two years with a plethora of injuries. At some point people need to just start trusting the system. 

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

What I am getting from this and the other white helmet changes is that we will be allowed to wear out white helmet with the white tops, but that we will still have black pants with white top and white helmets. The "White Bengal" days will be when we have white tops, white pants, and white helmets.

• Upvote 1